Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

kiimo posted:

I know some Sixer fans that are furiously publicly masturbating right now, which would be an anomaly in most cities not named Philadelphia.

Hrm, I just thought that smell was all of the Callory Pear trees http://www.theawl.com/2013/04/this-spring-new-york-city-smells-much-less-like-sperm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Ivins
Aug 7, 2008

People should compile low-lights packages for these top high school prospects. I don't care about seeing some "18" year old scoring on kids who are a foot shorter. But if that tiny unathletic baby blocks that freakish manchild, hit me up

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

kiimo posted:

I just realized that if it goes 1. Embiid 2. Parker 3. Wiggins that it is eerily similar to 1984 with 1. Olajuwon 2. Bowie 3. Jordan.

I don't think Parker will fail like Bowie and Parker isn't 7'1 but you have to admit there are some similarities.

Uh think you're reaching there, especially since none of these 2014 guys have even played in the NBA yet.

And Wiggins on the Sixers would give them the biggest (6'6 and 6'9) and maybe most talented backcourt in the league (eventually). I can't imagine Wiggins falls to third though, despite Chad Ford's contradictory rumours.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Yeah I don't think Wiggins is really going to fall. It'd be loving awesome but I'm cool with whoever does slip to 3 as long as Embiid's healthy.

Noel, Thad, and #10 for #1 or #2 who says no

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kiimo posted:

I know some Sixer fans that are furiously publicly masturbating right now, which would be an anomaly in most cities not named Philadelphia.

Please don't post my sports fantasies tia

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Jota posted:

Noel, Thad, and #10 for #1 or #2 who says no

the Sixers.

I still think Noel could turn out as good as any of these guys

yo soy fiesta
Feb 6, 2005

Are you fucking shitting me, dude!?

Noel is like a #1

Whoever the Sixers draft is like a #1

Two 1's and a 10 in two years

Thx Hinkie

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lolsonic posted:

Noel is like a #1

Whoever the Sixers draft is like a #1

Two 1's and a 10 in two years

Thx Hinkie

A haul only surpassed by Cleveland.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

WhyteRyce posted:

A haul only surpassed by Cleveland.

When Cleveland picks ahead of you it's often like picking one higher than you really did.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

IanTheM posted:

When Cleveland picks ahead of you it's often like picking one higher than you really did.

This is canon.

euphronius posted:

I agree it would be the best if we all just forgot he played for Duke.

As far as I'm concerned Kyrie Irving just showed up to the draft after spending a year on a walkabout or whatever it is that passes for basketball in Australia

swizz posted:

counterpoint

I really do love Duke fans as long as I'm not interacting with them

kiimo posted:

I just realized that if it goes 1. Embiid 2. Parker 3. Wiggins that it is eerily similar to 1984 with 1. Olajuwon 2. Bowie 3. Jordan.

I don't think Parker will fail like Bowie and Parker isn't 7'1 but you have to admit there are some similarities.

What similarities are those, kiimo

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Declan MacManus posted:

What similarities are those, kiimo

They have consonants in their names.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I know we all get creeped out by high school highlight videos but this poo poo is infinitely more creepy and disconcerting.

Also I'm considering becoming a Sixers fan again like 8 year old me was when AI played. Who should I cheer for them to draft with their second pick?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

I know we all get creeped out by high school highlight videos but this poo poo is infinitely more creepy and disconcerting.

Also I'm considering becoming a Sixers fan again like 8 year old me was when AI played. Who should I cheer for them to draft with their second pick?

It really depends on who they get with their first pick. If it's Embiid, root for McDermott or Gordon. If it's Parker, root for Gordon or Nurkic. If it's Wiggins, root for Saric or McDermott.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MCW Wiggins Saric Young Noel :smugmrgw:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Declan MacManus posted:

It really depends on who they get with their first pick. If it's Embiid, root for McDermott or Gordon. If it's Parker, root for Gordon or Nurkic. If it's Wiggins, root for Saric or McDermott.

If Wiggins doesn't slip I'm rooting for a shooting guard

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jota posted:

In that case you'd be looking at either Harris or Stauskas although the Sixers could probably trade down and still nab one (they're both at the edge of the lottery). Value is all subjective though so if they want a dude they should just grab him instead of playing around with it (or make a deal in principle and draft based on BPA)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

At 3? There aren't any that wouldn't be a big reach. Or do you mean if they take Parker?

e: Oh okay. I think Stauskas would be a really good fit for them, given their lack of shooting. He and Parker would go a long way towards fixing that issue for them. The defense would be awful but whatever, just run and score millions of points and I guess hope Noel can clean up the mess.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I think Saric is the best fit in Philly as gay as it would be to wait an entire year for him to show up.

This Chad Ford poo poo is really getting my hopes up. I just know I'll be praying for Wiggins on draft night and end up somehow disappointed in Jabari Parker.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

With the Kings shopping the #8 pick, would Thad + Stuff for #8 be a (good) thing that could happen? The Kings almost did a Thad/Cousins deal last draft, so it could be possible.

Sixers. Veteran presence. What's that?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DOOP posted:

With the Kings shopping the #8 pick, would Thad + Stuff for #8 be a (good) thing that could happen? The Kings almost did a Thad/Cousins deal last draft, so it could be possible.

I don't know that anyone's giving up a pick for a year of Young.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DOOP posted:

Eh, 19 million for 2 more years of Thad isn't steller and I don't think the Kings would want another PF. So probably not.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think philly fans vastly overrate the value of Young because he was their only good player last year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

Eh, 19 million for 2 more years of Thad isn't steller and I don't think the Kings would want another PF. So probably not.

He has an ETO in the second year, and I imagine he'd want a long-term deal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would keep Young. He isnt old at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

He has an ETO in the second year, and I imagine he'd want a long-term deal.

Would he get more than 10 mil out on the market? I guess I would assume he'd stick around for that year, but either way an ETO is another reason his value drops for a trade.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

8-10m is the perfect price for Young

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I love Thad Young, but no way they get a top ten pick for him. He's a real good role player though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

euphronius posted:

I would keep Young. He isnt old at all.

I think there's a high chance Thad will go the ETO route unless the rookies turn out to be world beaters and win a lot of games. See if you can get something for him otherwise.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
You need some type of veteran presence on the team, if only to help the young guys learn how to make it as a professional player. Having that advice come from a peer as opposed to a coach can make a difference. It would probably be better if it was someone cheaper than Thad, but I don't see it necessarily being a bad thing if he is kept through his current contract.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Every time I see Randle I keep thinking he's the bizarro universe Tyrone Hill and I don't know why. Either way I wouldn't touch him or McDermott, Gordon or bust I guess.

If Embiid somehow fell to Philly, would Nerlens be able to play the 4 or would they be smarter to try and deal the pick?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DOOP posted:

The Kings almost did a Thad/Cousins deal last draft, so it could be possible.

:lol: yeah sure they did

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: yeah sure they did

It wasn't a straight swap, if you believe the rumors

IIRC, it was #11 + Thad + Jrue for #7 + Cousins

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

C. Everett Koop posted:

Every time I see Randle I keep thinking he's the bizarro universe Tyrone Hill and I don't know why. Either way I wouldn't touch him or McDermott, Gordon or bust I guess.

If Embiid somehow fell to Philly, would Nerlens be able to play the 4 or would they be smarter to try and deal the pick?

No one knows what Nerlens will be able to do. Before injury, he was quick and instinctive, but lacked strength and generally only scored off of putbacks and oops.

I'd still take Embiid regardless of how well or not Nerlens would fit in with him. Worst case, you have trade bait.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DOOP posted:

That would be so loving abysmal for the Kings

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DOOP posted:

Cousins was targeted as the franchise cornerstone the second Vivek took ownership of the team and they gave him a max deal pretty much as soon as they could. I have a very hard time believing that Philly not only almost landed Cousins but also convinced Sacramento to trade down from #7 (they were trying to trade up to get McLemore); all of which happening without anyone on the Sacramento side getting wind of it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Any Kings fans want to tell me what's wrong with McLemore? Is there hope for him becoming more of a consistent scorer?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

WhyteRyce posted:

Cousins was targeted as the franchise cornerstone the second Vivek took ownership of the team and they gave him a max deal pretty much as soon as they could. I have a very hard time believing that Philly not only almost landed Cousins but also convinced Sacramento to trade down from #7 (they were trying to trade up to get McLemore); all of which happening without anyone on the Sacramento side getting wind of it.

That what the rumors said anyway. Kings/Sixers working on a deal until an hour before the draft, the Kings pulled out, and the Sixers dealt with the Pelicans instead. No one knew about the Sixers/Pelicans deal either before it happened fwiw

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

That deal is a loving joke but is it really that much worse than Jrue Holliday for 2 top ten picks?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DOOP posted:

That what the rumors said anyway. Kings/Sixers working on a deal until an hour before the draft, the Kings pulled out, and the Sixers dealt with the Pelicans instead. No one knew about the Sixers/Pelicans deal either before it happened fwiw

A lot of rumors are dubious at best (hello Hoopshype!) or are partially true but completely miss the mark on how progressed the talks are or how interested the parties are. It's entirely possible the Kings talked with Philly about a Cousins deal but when they found out Philly wanted to turn two lesser players and lower pick into a better player and higher pick, Sacramento just hung up.

kiimo posted:

Any Kings fans want to tell me what's wrong with McLemore? Is there hope for him becoming more of a consistent scorer?

He had a really rough rookie season. He had no dribble game (which we already knew), but he had a lot of trouble adjusting to the NBA 3pt line. He was gassed too. Unless he makes some major strides, I don't see him being a go-to 20ppg scorer. But he's got great physical tools and moves really well off-the-ball already so he still can be a great offensive cog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ty1990 posted:

That deal is a loving joke but is it really that much worse than Jrue Holliday for 2 top ten picks?

Well, New Orleans' thinking was that they were making a playoff push. So it was Jrue Holliday for a top 10 pick in a weak draft and a (hopeful) mid-first rounder. Not quite as bad. Contrast that with Sacramento giving up a better player and a better pick.

To get back to the original topic, Thaddeus is a nice player but I really wouldn't want to trade the #8 for him and I'm worried the FO will. He's both young, experienced, and a forward which sounds dangerously close to the ideal candidate to the FO

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread