Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malcolm XML posted:

greybeard implies some sort of competence cloaked in knowing condescension

bsd displays neither

bsd can definitely act like a jerk, but he's displayed good judgement on the subjects of builds and deployments and that kind of thing -- his head is in the right place there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

bsd is a garbage clown poster who holds on to old lovely standards like the Debian processes and X11 because if they become irrelevant than so does he

yes it is much easier to imagine i am an old man sliding into irrelevance than to consider the consequences of halfassing everything all the time

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk i like gnome 3 and all, or at least i like the direction it's going in, but you guys at rh (suspicious dish and co) do realise that you and you alone completely and utterly killed linux desktops as a going concern with the catastrophic gently caress up that was the gnome 3 rollout

"hi, gnome 2 is discontinued as of right now. go gently caress yourself if you were relying on it for your day-to-day. here is a tech demo of something that might have a useful quantity of features to be a mainstream desktop environment in 5 years. p.s. it requires functional opengl drivers in order to operate at all and those won't really exist for another three years, longer if you don't want to take a massive battery life hit on your laptop. they also have to be open-source because our out-of-the-box story for installing the proprietary nvidia drivers is still awful"

like why the poo poo did you not migrate to gtk3 first and THEN gradually phase out gnome-panel?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also the perennial tradition of removing all useful features for 'simplicity' then bringing them all back over the following releases

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think its p good now tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

like why the poo poo did you not migrate to gtk3 first and THEN gradually phase out gnome-panel?

for one thing, gtk 3 itself is a work in progress

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gnome 3 and kde 4 were both disasters

kde recovered a lot faster though. kde 4 is now capable of 99% of the old kde 3 UI features, and has added way more good stuff not related to UI. if you want to use a linux desktop, coming from windows or osx, you probably want kde

for osx users:
  • exposé-type stuff for window management
  • easy to make alt-tab cycle through windows, cmd-tab cycle through apps
  • multi-monitor is like 1000x better than osx

for windows users:
  • has a start menu
  • alt tab does what you think ootb
  • maximize button maximizes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
drawbacks of kde:

[*] looks like dogshit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

drawbacks of kde:

[*] looks like dogshit

well you installed linux i'm not sure there was ever the reasonable expectation that it wouldn't look like dogshit

looking like dogshit is a time-honored tradition in unix desktops. everyone knows about Sun's garish purple, HP's unreadable blue-on-blue etc. DEC beat them all, they had a dogshit-colored theme as the default:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

idk i like gnome 3 and all, or at least i like the direction it's going in, but you guys at rh (suspicious dish and co) do realise that you and you alone completely and utterly killed linux desktops as a going concern with the catastrophic gently caress up that was the gnome 3 rollout

"hi, gnome 2 is discontinued as of right now. go gently caress yourself if you were relying on it for your day-to-day. here is a tech demo of something that might have a useful quantity of features to be a mainstream desktop environment in 5 years. p.s. it requires functional opengl drivers in order to operate at all and those won't really exist for another three years, longer if you don't want to take a massive battery life hit on your laptop. they also have to be open-source because our out-of-the-box story for installing the proprietary nvidia drivers is still awful"

Of course. I think it's the same situation as KDE4. In retrospect, everybody agrees that we should have maintained GNOME2 at the same time as developing GNOME3. But while you're there working on building something new together with 20 other people, it's easy to get too excited and not realize how far you really have go, and how much of your user base you'll frustrate.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Of course. I think it's the same situation as KDE4.

yeah except kde 4 can be used by an existing windows/osx/kde3/gnome2 user w/out extensive retraining

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
gently caress all that poo poo

i3 4 lyfe

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well you installed linux i'm not sure there was ever the reasonable expectation that it wouldn't look like dogshit

looking like dogshit is a time-honored tradition in unix desktops. everyone knows about Sun's garish purple, HP's unreadable blue-on-blue etc. DEC beat them all, they had a dogshit-colored theme as the default:

nah that ui actually looks very nice, and you can tell that it was designed by somebody with a sense of aesthetics.

for starters, text and widgets are aligned and centered properly, and there is a decent amount of padding. the colours are simple, complementary, and not over-saturated.

gnome 3 looks gorgeous imho, that's one thing it really has going for it.

now let's look at the first gis result for "kde"

(the postit is a tribute to a deceased kde contributor, it appears in most of kde's promotional images for their latest release)

this looks like i've got grease on my screen. everything glows and looks blurry as a result. there are drop shadows everywhere. gratuitous transparency is everywhere: in that desktop-bound window thing, in the tray popup, in the music player widgets. it even looks like poo poo with their chosen wallpaper and it'll be completely illegible with any wallpaper that has any sort of hard edges in it. there is no frosted-glass effect to at least make the transparency merely gaudy instead of gaudy and illegible.

linux developers have this inexplicable childish fascination with translucency, this was a boring graphical effect 20 years ago and there's a reason that only linux childes use it. vista and windows 7 use gratuitous transparency everywhere and it looks like poo poo there as well, kde just looks like a worse version of something that looks bad to begin with.

there are grey gradients and specular highlights everywhere. this is a grab bag of mismatched poo poo. you want an osx-like photorealistic style? ditch the gradients, those don't occur in nature. you want a stylised ~*authentically digital*~ looks? then ditch the specular highlights and blown out colours in the icons, also subdue the rounded corners a bit. in fact get rid of the hard saturated primary colours in the icons to begin with, it looks gaudy and tacky (not really all that visible in this picture but kde's icons suffer from this quite a bit)

then there's kde's endless problem with padding and alignment. everything is slightly off and it's clear the designer didn't give a gently caress. the generic CD cover on the music player control widget is off-center. the date under the time is off-center. the volume icon in the tray is far bigger than the envelope icon. there is no padding or demarcation between the menu bar and the tool bar in the music player. there are four different font sizes in that music player (title bar, menu bar and song list, song title, artist, status bar). the big song title is some sort of gaudy Arial that just looks like poo poo.

i'm not even going to pick on the kde control center but that's the king of misaligned poo poo with no padding whatsoever.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is dumb. Instead of talking about how KDE sucks or GNOME sucks, just use what you like and be happy with it. I'm fine with accepting criticism or feedback on GNOME 3, I'm not fine with this turning into a dumb "Your OS is a Piece of poo poo" slapfest. We're more professional than that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

this looks like i've got grease on my screen. everything glows and looks blurry as a result. there are drop shadows everywhere. gratuitous transparency is everywhere: in that desktop-bound window thing, in the tray popup, in the music player widgets. it even looks like poo poo with their chosen wallpaper and it'll be completely illegible with any wallpaper that has any sort of hard edges in it. there is no frosted-glass effect to at least make the transparency merely gaudy instead of gaudy and illegible.

linux developers have this inexplicable childish fascination with translucency, this was a boring graphical effect 20 years ago and there's a reason that only linux childes use it. vista and windows 7 use gratuitous transparency everywhere and it looks like poo poo there as well, kde just looks like a worse version of something that looks bad to begin with.

the best part of all the dumbfuck glowing dropshadowed transparency is that it's hard to turn off.

i had to google how to make my taskbar opaque so i could read window titles.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is dumb. Instead of talking about how KDE sucks or GNOME sucks, just use what you like and be happy with it. I'm fine with accepting criticism or feedback on GNOME 3, I'm not fine with this turning into a dumb "Your OS is a Piece of poo poo" slapfest. We're more professional than that.

a.) we're not
b.) gnome 3 is bad and it's not going to get better because the badness is the design goal

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
gnome 3 is very white

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i love gnome 3

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I've been getting used to CentOS/yum lately, I think I might install a fedora Vm today and see how gnome3 is going on that

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

drawbacks of kde:

[*] looks like dogshit

for the new version coming in a couple of months they got some actual non-programmer design people to make it not look like poo poo

but yeah, the current kde theme somehow manages to merge the worst colors and design decisions possible into one ugly mess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

for the new version coming in a couple of months they got some actual non-programmer design people to make it not look like poo poo

but yeah, the current kde theme somehow manages to merge the worst colors and design decisions possible into one ugly mess

is this kde 5, or something that will actually be usable before 2018

edit: yeah it is kde 5 / "plasma next"

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 28, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is this kde 5, or something that will actually be usable before 2018

plasma-next, and it's in beta with a release scheduled for july

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

plasma-next, and it's in beta with a release scheduled for july

kde 4.0 released more or less on time, in 2008

kde 4.8, the first good version, landed in 2012

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is incredibly readable, dunno why youd poo poo on it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

it's perfectly nice to use, but i wouldn't call it attractive.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well you bait-and-switched that image when you posted it, because your original one looked nicer still.

it has a nice low colour temperature, the contrast is good, the spacing is good, it's subdued, and it's pretty unobtrusive all things considered.

the ui is dumb, certainly (why does this app think it's so important that it should have a copyright notice in the title bar? what the gently caress is a "session manager" and what specific real-world task does this tool sitting on my desktop constantly help me to accomplish?) but as a profession we've generally learned from our mistakes since then.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bloody posted:

the ink:data ratio is too high. bunch of extraneous ornamentation on the window borders

pointless "etching" effect

non anti-aliased text, icons

etc. etc.

but if you fix that it's pretty good, and it's pretty good for its time i guess

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

this looks far more polished and might actually convince me to try KDE again for the first time since early KDE3 adopted that Krystal diahorrea.

it's still the KDE 4 palette and design motif but it's actually done competently this time

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The "Google+ - Google Chrome" text is still a bit low-contrast, but I have bad eyesight, so maybe that's on me.

Some of the icons, like the Wi-Fi icon, look off-model. Maybe it's just a taste thing.

Looks a lot better than the Web 2.0 look they were going for before, though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

this looks far more polished and might actually convince me to try KDE again for the first time since early KDE3 adopted that Krystal diahorrea.

don't worry, by the time they release this theme will be half-abandoned and buried six menus deep in 'systm settings'

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't worry, by the time they release this theme will be half-abandoned and buried six menus deep in 'systm settings'

i still want windows xp beta's 'watercolor' theme in, somewhere

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

even the jankiest 90s ui is perfection compared with some of the shined-up poo poo we have to deal with now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

papa_november posted:

even the jankiest 90s ui is perfection compared with some of the shined-up poo poo we have to deal with now

bbbut computers are amazing and have you ever heard of UX? the experience is half the battle and we gave that to our marketing team and this is what we collectively puked into a bucket

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
CDE got open sourced in 2012

unfortunately the code is bitrotten as gently caress. like, nobody has done a successful 100% build since 1995 bitrotten. vendors were apparently really bad about sending patches upstream. the build scripts don't really work even on the 1995 platforms.

some very dedicated hobbyists have gotten about 90% of it to work on linux. dtlogin is wonky. tooltalk may or may not work. dtksh, the shell API to write gui apps, is completely broken.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bump

I'm having doubts about continuing to renew my LWN subscription, because even that place is beginning to succumb to groupthink with I HATE SYSTEMD :byodood: and I HATE GNOME 3 :byodood: posters going around making GBS threads up unrelated discussions

don't even get me started on Michael Larabel's poo poo pit of a site

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
that's sad because most of LWN's articles that I happened to read are good stuff.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

bump

I'm having doubts about continuing to renew my LWN subscription, because even that place is beginning to succumb to groupthink with I HATE SYSTEMD :byodood: and I HATE GNOME 3 :byodood: posters going around making GBS threads up unrelated discussions

don't even get me started on Michael Larabel's poo poo pit of a site

i keep forgetting lwn exists. i with their discussions weren't threaded. threaded boards are the worst.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean tbf I actually like gnome 3 and even I'm starting to get soured by some of the poo poo that Alan Day (UI designer) comes up with, because it's becoming increasingly evident that this guy has no plan or ability to think things through and just makes poo poo up as he goes along.

Like the new notification centre. Good for the most part (but then they basically just ripped off Android's notification centre wholesale) but the mockups show private IM messages on the lock screen.

Oh but don't worry, you can turn that off. Well, not really, you can turn off lock screen notifications from the IM system. So you have to janitor this mis-designed poo poo whose design doesn't recognise that IMs are at all different from any other kind of notification, despite them making a big deal in the early releases of being able to respond to IMs straight from the notification system so that it's ~*distraction free*~

more to the point it still gives no persistent indication of pending notifications. so if somebody's trying to get ahold of you and you look the wrong way for two seconds then you're not going to know about it for hours, potentially.

so i have to ask, how god drat incompetent do you have to think that this would be at all well received? sure let's just ignore the primary purpose of a notification system, nbd. suspicious dish would give his universal answer of "file a bug report" but it'll inevitably get CLOSED WONTFIX because no notification system that is fit for purpose can be made consistent with the gnome 3 ~*artistic vision*~. you can't debate major design decisions on bug trackers.

The design language of gnome 3 has changed a lot over time as well, which again makes me think they don't know what the gently caress they're doing and just throw random poo poo against the wall until people don't hate it too much. look at the menu in the top-right corner of the screen for an example of this, there hasn't been a single release where they haven't changed stuff around there and managed to piss off a different group of people with that iteration's changes.