Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Korak posted:

I kind of hope this V/H/S has a short dealing with how toxic hook up culture can be. With the rise of Grindr and Tinder there's this whole generation of people that feel entitled to go from lover to lover as though its some sort of toy store for their personal enjoyment.

I, too, am waiting for a bold visionary to step forward and make a sex-negative horror film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jonny Angel posted:

I, too, am waiting for a bold visionary to step forward and make a sex-negative horror film.

As if "having sex" wasn't one of the leading metaphorical causes of death in horror films already. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Maybe, but they aren't presented in a vacuum, they're presented together, and thus are generally going to be interpreted as such. The people who made them may not be feminist - they may be anti-feminist! - but the work they made may still be feminist as presented, depending on how you choose to interpret it.

I get what you're saying, I'm just not entirely comfortable with looking at stuff like this from that point of view, because in every other context these films are looked at as a collection of shorts rather than as a cohesive whole. This argument really seems like a calculated effort to ignore or gloss over the lovely gender politics of the shorts themselves because none of us want to admit to liking something that promotes misogyny.

Seriously, it's okay. You can like things that are problematic. Nobody will think less of you for it.

Korak posted:

I kind of hope this V/H/S has a short dealing with how toxic hook up culture can be. With the rise of Grindr and Tinder there's this whole generation of people that feel entitled to go from lover to lover as though its some sort of toy store for their personal enjoyment.

I can't tell if this is a low-effort troll or if you're seriousposting, but either way eat poo poo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I get what you're saying, I'm just not entirely comfortable with looking at stuff like this from that point of view, because in every other context these films are looked at as a collection of shorts rather than as a cohesive whole. This argument really seems like a calculated effort to ignore or gloss over the lovely gender politics of the shorts themselves because none of us want to admit to liking something that promotes misogyny.

Seriously, it's okay. You can like things that are problematic. Nobody will think less of you for it.

I sincerely don't know, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing either movie in its entirety yet. My friend showed me the trailers and then we watched the one with the bike rider who gets zombified but didn't get a chance to finish both films. So I personally cannot attest to how feminist or not the films are. I like the argument that was made in the contrast between unrealistic male fears versus realistic female fears. I also like some of the counterarguments. I just enjoy the conversation going on here, for the most part. :shrug:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah I'm not really talking about you specifically when I say that, it's just an argument that's been thrown around regarding V/H/S pretty much since it came out.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

As if "having sex" wasn't one of the leading metaphorical causes of death in horror films already. :v:

Whoosh

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

She's frankly kinda dumb.
That's a little harsh. Her undoing is that she doesn't realize the universe is built around her psychotic killer. She views her friends as disposable since they literally are, but she's not aware enough to consider herself as equally disposable. For her, she's the last girl, she's special. But slasher films aren't about the last girl, for the most part; they're a product of structure. The movie is built around the killer. He's the only special person in the world, and that's a really hosed up thing to come to terms with.

She's an arrogant murderer, but I feel bad for her.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's something to be said for seeing the protagonist in Tuesday the 17th gorily ripped apart. She looked for closure, she looked to beat the system, and was disassembled in full view, for the enjoyment of the audience. Punishment for knowledge.

You know, even though I didn't really see Tuesday the 17th as having uniquely bad gender politics (other than that most of the characters' downfall is that they went along with what a woman said), this is actually super hosed up now that I'm thinking about it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
All it's missing is her eating an apple or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's something to be said for seeing the protagonist in Tuesday the 17th gorily ripped apart. She looked for closure, she looked to beat the system, and was disassembled in full view, for the enjoyment of the audience. Punishment for knowledge.

It doesn't help that T17 is kinda poorly conveyed. According to the commentary, the evisceration transforms her into the (next?) supernatural killer.

That kinda makes sense: the monster was inside her all along. Find explanation there for why, otherwise inexplicably, the camera picks up images of those who died before. These are both glimpses of the past and prophecies of the future. She knows what will happen because she's seen it. When a friend is viewed from a slightly different angle, he is understood as just a bloodied corpse about to happen. In a weird way, it's not far removed from Terminator 2 or Aliens.

So the real point is that she herself is reduced to a bloodied corpse - but survives.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 21, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It doesn't help that T17 is kinda poorly conveyed. According to the commentary, the evisceration transforms her into the (next?) supernatural killer.

I realize this is basically what you're saying, but holy poo poo that makes absolutely no sense. :psyduck: Like, I'm actually trying really hard to see it but I can't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tuesday the 17th is a slasher franchise, naturally it will have a sequel where a surviving character has cracked and started reenacting murders because they can't accept that the killer is really dead.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
I kind of thought the point of Tuesday the 17th was that she wasn't believed in the first place. She's come back not with a gun, but a camera. But it proves powerless- her oppressor is invisible not to the naked eye, but to representation. Thus the line "why can't I record you?"

So I saw the killer as a representation of violence that we refuse to acknowledge, especially against women.

Also, I think I'm unusual among horror fans in that I never identify with the killer. I suppose its because the values embodied by Jason, etc, are so foreign to me. That, of course, is privilege. So what I'm saying is I have a really good excuse to watch slashers :colbert:

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Someone posted earlier about the alternate ending to 10/31/98. I've read about that somewhere else as well. Was that ever released as a bonus feature for the DVD or Blu-Ray or something?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ti West could be an idiot and that's cool, I like when idiots make good movies on accident. But I find it interesting that his aggressive commitment to this kind of dry documentary style makes the short much more interesting because it's about what you bring to it. The long shot out on the canyon is just footage from a road trip but since the wife is holding the camera, not interacting with her husband, I'm imagining that she's wondering if she could get away with pushing him off the ledge, or at the very least hoping he'll fall. That kind of weird detail in a horror movie is something I appreciate. Whoever the camera is pointed at feels interrogated and it brings out all this gross, passive aggressive energy. It's not about justifying who's right and who's wrong (who'd want to take sides in a bickering married couple's argument anyway) so when a third person picks up the camera, it's nevertheless a violation.

One of the things I had pointed out to me that I didn't pick up on the first time is that at any given moment, the person with the camera is the one with power in the relationship or in the scene, whether it's the wife on the cliff or the dude trying to pressure her into loving on tape or the girlfriend with the knife.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Literally The Worst posted:

One of the things I had pointed out to me that I didn't pick up on the first time is that at any given moment, the person with the camera is the one with power in the relationship or in the scene, whether it's the wife on the cliff or the dude trying to pressure her into loving on tape or the girlfriend with the knife.

For something so boring and dry, they get through a lot of character. When going through the Old West town, she pets a donkey and he politely freaks out about her washing her hands before they eat and she seems to relish bothering him with her donkey hand. Later on, when he's out of the room, she frets about how bad and dirty the hotel room is and turns into a germophobe.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

For something so boring and dry, they get through a lot of character. When going through the Old West town, she pets a donkey and he politely freaks out about her washing her hands before they eat and she seems to relish bothering him with her donkey hand. Later on, when he's out of the room, she frets about how bad and dirty the hotel room is and turns into a germophobe.

The girlfriend sticking his toothbrush in the toilet is the best part of the short on a rewatch. It gets so much across about what the wife and the girlfriend are thinking about, together, with this plan in like fifteen seconds.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is this really not coming out 'til 2015? That blows.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've heard that they're going to kill a dog every short, including one short that's just a dog cam in a city pound where all the characters and victims are dogs, can someone verify???

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For every dog you don't kill, I'm gonna kill 2.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Were people really bitching about the dog-death in the last movie or something?

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Were people really bitching about the dog-death in the last movie or something?

The thread's only three pages, it wouldn't take long for you to find the guy crying about it in here.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Rita Repulsa posted:

I've heard that they're going to kill a dog every short, including one short that's just a dog cam in a city pound where all the characters and victims are dogs, can someone verify???

I've heard that one of the shorts is going to be a mix of Amateur Night from the first movie and the cat version of Smack my bitch up, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IaldtbeeI

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've only watched 2 on Netflix, how does the special features on the BR hold up? I dug the commentary and features on the first's BR...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think the way people argue about the VHS films is like half the fun of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having just watched Resolution I'm pumped as gently caress that Justin Benson is in this jam.

The only segment of the two V/H/S's I really just didn't like was the eye story. Even that one had some great visuals and interesting ideas but the main character was such an unbelievable cocknoggin.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Jonny Angel posted:

There's literally a LGBT horror film about this.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Hollismason posted:

There's literally a LGBT horror film about this.

Don't name it or talk about it or anything.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Think they'll have enough to release a "best of the trilogy" thing? I feel like this movie is in the unique place to be able to do something like that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cole posted:

Think they'll have enough to release a "best of the trilogy" thing? I feel like this movie is in the unique place to be able to do something like that.

I sure hope not.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Cole posted:

They haven't had nearly enough shorts to do this yet. Even if the 3rd film has like 10 shorts. I'd rather not get a clip show until like VHS 6, if ever

Chiming in to say Slumber Party Alien Abduction is the best of all for me. It's just so utterly relentless once the aliens show up. I can see why some might hate it but for me that was terrifying.

The robot eye one was the worst.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Febreeze posted:

They haven't had nearly enough shorts to do this yet. Even if the 3rd film has like 10 shorts. I'd rather not get a clip show until like VHS 6, if ever

Chiming in to say Slumber Party Alien Abduction is the best of all for me. It's just so utterly relentless once the aliens show up. I can see why some might hate it but for me that was terrifying.

The robot eye one was the worst.

Uhhhh the sex scene in the robot eye short was awesome and totally worth it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Uhhhh the sex scene in the robot eye short was awesome and totally worth it.

I remember goons (at least, I think it was on SA) flipping out about the sex scene, saying it was totally pointless. They didn't realize/understand that she had just talked about ignoring the ghosts, and was throwing herself at him to distract him from the ghost that was haunting her.

(Are we spoiling content for the earlier film(s)?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MisterBibs posted:

I remember goons (at least, I think it was on SA) flipping out about the sex scene, saying it was totally pointless. They didn't realize/understand that she had just talked about ignoring the ghosts, and was throwing herself at him to distract him from the ghost that was haunting her.

It wasn't totally pointless, but that doesn't mean it was some great scene either.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's also dope how easily you can tell that someone new has the camera, because they all shoot really differently.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

It's also dope how easily you can tell that someone new has the camera, because they all shoot really differently.

I'm not the biggest fan of watching short films, oddly, but it is some of my favorite kind of storytelling. I always liked story music videos, I think Adult Swim's eleven minutes or whatever is a great length for a show, I like anthology movies, sketch comedy, all that crap. Remove exposition wherever possible. Same holds for books, actually. Psycho is like a hundred fifty pages long, ditto Haunting of Hill House. Simple language, powerful writing. Grant Morrison is another favorite of mine, his style is so ultra-compressed that I can see how people get annoyed at how he just seems to skip over details.

SPAA is obviously on the far end of this, it's so intense and quick it's like a burst transmission.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm not the biggest fan of watching short films, oddly, but it is some of my favorite kind of storytelling. I always liked story music videos, I think Adult Swim's eleven minutes or whatever is a great length for a show, I like anthology movies, sketch comedy, all that crap. Remove exposition wherever possible. Same holds for books, actually. Psycho is like a hundred fifty pages long, ditto Haunting of Hill House. Simple language, powerful writing. Grant Morrison is another favorite of mine, his style is so ultra-compressed that I can see how people get annoyed at how he just seems to skip over details.

SPAA is obviously on the far end of this, it's so intense and quick it's like a burst transmission.

I think in general that shorter forms kind of force narrative economy. I mean you can be sloppy short form, but it's so much more obvious than in a novel or a serial TV show or something, where . Morrison gets that comics are almost ALWAYS short form, unless you go the Moore/Sim route and just throw in short stories and essays all over the place. Letting the details be carried by implication and artwork is the only way to go.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that found footage movies also tend to have a lot of fat that is cut with V/H/S's shorts. I do appreciate the Paranormal Activity movies, but there is definitely a structure to them where you establish characters, have some minor creepy things happen, more establishing characters, major creepy thing, discussion of major creepy thing, major creepy thing, repeat until climax. V/H/S shorts tend to establish characters, setting, and then get crazy as soon as possible with stories that cover lengths of time ranging from twenty minutes to a couple of days.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

MisterBibs posted:

It wasn't pointless, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't gratuitous or unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Just a reminder that this one hits VOD services today. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

• Locked thread