Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

DrankSinatra posted:

Edit: We were finalists for Google Fiber at one point, but we never got it. Now, they seem to have no intention of moving into our area. Considering how much of a hardon area governments seem to have about all this "Silicon Prairie" bullshit, you'd think they'd be on the ball.

They're usually all for it until the general managers of the local ISPs make "convincing arguments" against competition and innovation. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I haven't got a clue how long it is from planning to rollout, the fiberhood had already met it's goal and was pretty far along before I got here.
I just signed up before they closed the deadline. If the deadline hasn't passed and you're still in the voting stages, it'll probably be a while.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy poo poo AT&T DSL is awful. I usually would expect at least a couple nines from a business class connection. I'm right at 50% uptime.

I had a supervisor tell me that they don't have any monitoring or logging in place on any of their DSL equipment :laugh:

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Google fiber in Chicago.
How long do I have to wait?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Forbin5 posted:

Google fiber in Chicago.
How long do I have to wait?

If they announced it tomorrow, probably about two years before construction begins. Tack on another one or two years if you live in a suburb rather than the urban core.

I can definitely say that at least you'll get it sooner than these people.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
When they come to a city how much area do they typically cover? Do they plan to expand to nearby cities? Because Charlotte was a candidate for Google Fiber last I checked and there are a lot of towns built around Charlotte.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 29, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sigh. ATT DSL is so bad I'm being forced back to Time Warner. I had six consecutive days out outages starting on the day of the install, and their techs no-call/no-showed three times.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

When they come to a city how much area do they typically cover? Do they plan to expand to nearby cities? Because Charlotte was a candidate for Google Fiber last I checked and there are a lot of towns built around Charlotte.

It's entirely dependent on proximity and politics.

When they came to Kansas City, their initial plan was to roll out only in Kansas City, Kansas (KCK). A few weeks later they announced that they would include Kansas City, MO (KCMO) as well. Thankfully the metro area is one big blob, so Google was nice enough to include the surrounding suburbs even though they're governed separately.

I guess everyone always assumed that they would be covering the entire KC Metro area (KCK, KCMO, North Kansas City, Lee's Summit, Gladstone, Independence, Olathe, Lenexa, etc.), and they've been correct in that assumption thus far. On the other hand, if Google rolls out to Charlotte but one of the local municipalities doesn't have their poo poo in order, they'll probably skip that area and build out around it. Check out the KCK coverage map to see what I mean. Overland Park's city government was causing quite a few delays in their planning and approval, so they were left in the dust with no guarantee of ever being built out.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Cenodoxus posted:

I guess everyone always assumed that they would be covering the entire KC Metro area (KCK, KCMO, North Kansas City, Lee's Summit, Gladstone, Independence, Olathe, Lenexa, etc.), and they've been correct in that assumption thus far.

Well, except Overland Park, but that had more to do with their city counsel dragging their feet. I bet Google will get there eventually, but not before the rest of the metro is connected.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Has there been any evidence of local ISPs fighting google? I could easily see my local cable community handing certain people money to keep Google and other competitors away.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
As I mentioned, Overland Park resisted, but I think they just wanted more money, even though every other community in the entire metro approached by Google jumped at the idea.

As for the ISPs, Time Warner has added a new tier only for their KC to try to compete, but other than that, they've just stepped up on annoying radio ads. (Really though, how can 100/5 compete with 1000/1000?). It was hard not to laugh when I cancelled my Time Warner connection. The customer service rep actually tried to convince me that they're technicians are available far less available hours, that its reliability hasn't been proven, and that just because it's faster doesn't mean it's better (HA!).

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Has there been any evidence of local ISPs fighting google? I could easily see my local cable community handing certain people money to keep Google and other competitors away.

Tons. AT&T will canvas entire neighborhoods begging people to switch to U-Verse. At my old place AT&T would throw a party at the clubhouse once every few months to try to build goodwill and distract people from realizing how hilariously bad AT&T's offerings are.

A few weeks ago one of their droids went door to door in my old neighborhood and warned my wife that Google Fiber crews have been "destroying property". They pointed to the big reel of conduit going into the ground at the start of our block and said that was actually AT&T's fiber being installed, despite the fact that one of the Google contractors was doing the work.

They also said to "beware the fine print".

AT&T. Warning people about fine print.

:v:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I guess it depends on neighborhood. The only crap I get is the occasional TWC or AT&T junkmail advertising for satellite customers to switch to their low rates. Nevermind the fact that I don't subscribe to TV now, nor did I when I had TWC.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

We pay ~$30 for that (we were only getting 1.5 for that price until ~2 years ago) and in a month I'll be moving to a place where I don't even think we can get 1.5 and we'll still be WAY overpaying for it.

Google Fiber cannot expand fast enough. :smith: Maybe it'll get here before the heat death of the universe. :gbsmith:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cernunnos posted:

We pay ~$30 for that (we were only getting 1.5 for that price until ~2 years ago) and in a month I'll be moving to a place where I don't even think we can get 1.5 and we'll still be WAY overpaying for it.

Google Fiber cannot expand fast enough. :smith: Maybe it'll get here before the heat death of the universe. :gbsmith:

How the gently caress? I have comcast and pay $80 a month for 50mbps and TV

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

£23 per month, it's OK I suppose. Crosstalk is killing VDSL at the moment as it gets more popular, this was around 60Mbps a couple of years ago.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So after terminating my DSL contract AT&T (I'm not their customer btw, it was a dry loop) has been calling me like a drunken abuser. They called at 1am last night and then again early this morning. When I answered the phone some lady started rambling incoherently at me, not even forming sentences and I ended up just having to hang up. What the gently caress is going on at ATT?

What's idiotic is that I had contacted them during an outage and they straight up refused to dispatch a tech without me agreeing to a billable visit. So since they straight up refused to provide service, what reason would they even have for calling me? I terminated the contract with my ISP yesterday, there's literally no reason they have to be calling me, especially since they refused service to begin with.

This keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Oh, btw TWC residential had a rep out to my house and got me online within 3 hours. ATT business support couldn't even be arsed to show up. What's funny is that my company is being courted by ATT for a t3 or something and my coworkers relayed my complaints to their account executive and she just vanished.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Maneki Neko posted:

How the gently caress? I have comcast and pay $80 a month for 50mbps and TV

Welcome to rural Florida where Comcast has the infrastructure to give you 10+ down but wants $50* (can't see actual prices without an account but I've probably got it right) & a TV Package (That, looking at our bill, is costing us $70 on it's own for a basic digital package).

*Price only valid for first six months of service

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh I'm not worried about my speed just the drat cap. Are there any smart ways to reduce my data usage besides the obvious stuff? IE: Lowering video quality of streaming services, using the Internet less in general, Using noscript/adblock, hoarding stuff on externals, downloading compressed files, etc.

I heard about a service for google chrome that is supposed to compress web traffic but it doesn't seem to work for me. I've found a few addons for firefox that block images but it doesn't allow me to whitelist certain sites. EX: I would like to block images most of the time but not on SomethingAwful.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I just found out that there's a live metro fiber line running two blocks past my house. Apparently they offer 10-10,000 mbits and prices are 500-2000. Maybe in a few years those prices will drop far enough to justify getting a run.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So speeds at a university during the summer are pretty okay.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So speeds at a university during the summer are pretty okay.
What? Tell me that's not UTD. Connection speeds were dirt balls when I was there...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MisterAlex posted:

What? Tell me that's not UTD. Connection speeds were dirt balls when I was there...

It actually is UTD!

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Geez Louise... I should enroll and move back to "Waterview" again... :v:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Got a good chuckle out of this today.

Verizon is threatening legal action if Netflix doesn't stop blaming them for users' streaming problems. Says it's harming their reputation with their customers, and they might lose business as their customers drop them for another internet provider.

Please Verizon, tell us all about that fierce competition in your markets. :allears:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I haven't paid too much attention to that but there is actually evidence that they're throttling Netflix right?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/this-hilarious-graph-of-netflix-speeds-shows-the-importance-of-net-neutrality/

This graph has Verizon FiOS and DSL which do seem to have taken quite a dip in the last 6-8 months

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

That chart was used to humorous effect in this video about legislation that could definitely affect our "need for obscenely fast Internet speed."

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I haven't paid too much attention to that but there is actually evidence that they're throttling Netflix right?

A lot of these guys aren't actively throttling connections with their network management hardware, it's more that they're allowing peering links to saturate and then refusing to add more. It's a relatively cheap process that literally defines what their customers are paying for. In the end it's no different than if they were throttling. It's like when that mayor in Jersey or whatever shut a bunch of lanes down for no reason as some sort of childish political power play. Except this is about profits.

The simple fact is that last-mile ISP's will never really be at 'parity' with their peering arrangements. How could they? They limit customer upstream connections drastically in comparison to downstream. And of course, it's consumers buying these connections and they want to consume content with them. Unfortunately the last-mile providers have a ton of leverage in this space and a ton of lobbying dollars to throw at this problem. Net neutrality legislation would scarcely have an effect in this regard, it would simply make it easier for them to do what they're already doing.

What we NEED is publicly-owned fiber going to every house in America. Run the fiber to local network clearinghouses and let providers compete to provide the actual connectivity using something similar to the ACA exchanges. You could even switch ISP's while sitting at your computer. The cost/benefit of an initiative like this is enormous and it's the only way we'll outpace other first and second-world countries in Internet connectivity.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

EPB Fiber Optics in Chattanooga, TN (Community owned fiber). $70 a month for gigabit up/down. Best ISP I've ever dealt with and it's honestly a pleasure giving them money every month for the services they provide. If only had more uses for it.

I think I had two people connected to my Plex server at the time I ran this. That's why the upload is a bit slow.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 6, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason an ISP would start building a dsl substation in 2013, supposedly finish it late 2013 (they had people finishing inspection and poo poo in october), and then never touch it, turn it on or let any local tech know when it is going to turn on through today? I doubt there is going to be anyone else moving into the area any time soon, and googling it immediately led me to a broadband reports forum posts from 2 days ago, regarding the same situation with the same ISP (windstream). My idiot brothers managed to obliterate our monthly satellite data cap within the first ten days, and I just look at that loving substation every day and shake my fist angrily.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there a reason an ISP would start building a dsl substation in 2013, supposedly finish it late 2013 (they had people finishing inspection and poo poo in october), and then never touch it, turn it on or let any local tech know when it is going to turn on through today? I doubt there is going to be anyone else moving into the area any time soon, and googling it immediately led me to a broadband reports forum posts from 2 days ago, regarding the same situation with the same ISP (windstream). My idiot brothers managed to obliterate our monthly satellite data cap within the first ten days, and I just look at that loving substation every day and shake my fist angrily.

Call around to business DSL ISP's. Often they can push a carrier to wire you up provided there's a revenue commitment. No guarantees but it's worth a shot.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Can anyone suggest a good broadband data usage meter? I'm getting weird dips in my uverse (this is the problem right here :smith:) connection that's definitely caused by my router and I'm trying to see if its something in my settings or if something on the WAN is slowing poo poo down. All I have is 2 iphones and an ipad connected. The router is a belkin n450 DB.

That's a normal speedtest result but I can't do poo poo online on PS4 or watch Amazon Prime in HD. Both my pc and PS4 are connected to the router via ethernet cable. Its getting kind of dumb and uverse techs are no loving help.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What the gently caress, Verizon?

I appreciate the free upgrade to symmetric internet, but what's the point if I can only ever get those speeds on your speed test servers?

thecommodore64
Jun 9, 2010

The highest you can get without having to pay a 30 dollar bandwidth cap removal fee.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KillHour posted:

What the gently caress, Verizon?

I appreciate the free upgrade to symmetric internet, but what's the point if I can only ever get those speeds on your speed test servers?

Verizon with bad peering links? Say it ain't so

Meanwhile I finally got 8 x 4 DOCSIS channels and after fiddling with my wireless antennas (they like to have one 90 degrees opposed to the other, it seems) I am getting pretty dang good speeds:

Not bad for a peak time over WLAN at all. The upload speed is still capped a little low relative to the download but I'm not worried - we only just started getting bonded upstream around here so some upgrades will probably be coming soon. Maybe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Verizon with bad peering links? Say it ain't so

Meanwhile I finally got 8 x 4 DOCSIS channels and after fiddling with my wireless antennas (they like to have one 90 degrees opposed to the other, it seems) I am getting pretty dang good speeds:

Not bad for a peak time over WLAN at all. The upload speed is still capped a little low relative to the download but I'm not worried - we only just started getting bonded upstream around here so some upgrades will probably be coming soon. Maybe.

Level3 is willing to run fiber to my house with a $2 installation charge if I sign up for at least 40mbps for a year. Only $2,682.74/mo! :suicide:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KillHour posted:

Level3 is willing to run fiber to my house with a $2 installation charge if I sign up for at least 40mbps for a year. Only $2,682.74/mo! :suicide:

Any price for dedicated bandwidth :v:

At least I assume it is...

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I live in etobicoke, toronto, GTA, ontario, whatever. My teksavvy actually kind of blows and goes out a lot and poo poo, it used to be good. Should I just call them or is there a new hype around here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Australia :smith:

It's supposed to be a 24Mb connection, 1 terabyte quota at $119/month AUD

• Locked thread