Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Maleketh posted:

Leadership levels increase the total allowed Fee of your bodyguards. At leadership 99, you can have any three characters as bodyguards.

How do I level leadership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Go to the menu during combat and order your bodyguards to do stuff like Fire attack and poo poo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think you complete Feats in the Free Stages.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Pureauthor posted:

I think you complete Feats in the Free Stages.
Fast leadership levelling: take 3 bodyguards with Gather Supplies into Ambition mode. Do Materials skirmishes. Activate GS from the menu when you approach the stage boss. Rejoice in getting more time on the clock than you put into it and maxing out Leadership in an hour or two.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does anyone have news/numbers on the success of DW8XL for the PC? I really hope this bodes for more PC Warriors games from Koei.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
About the best you can get is Steamcharts info unless KOEI releases their sales figures.

Here shows an average of 1,066 playing since release, which would put it in the top 100 steam games currently.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rynoto posted:

About the best you can get is Steamcharts info unless KOEI releases their sales figures.

Here shows an average of 1,066 playing since release, which would put it in the top 100 steam games currently.

That's actually quite good... I compared Currently Playing numbers with CS:GO and obviously there's no comparison there. Thanks!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

If you want to max leadership, strengthen a "Gather Supplies" bodyguard and have him do his maneuver as many times as you can during a mission. Also be sure to activate the other two bodyguards' abilities, too. That'll skyrocket your leadership level in just a few maps. Like, to give any idea, I strengthen Zhou Tai as a bodyguard to 5/6, so he can do it like 5 times in a mission. Spamming supplies at the end of a mission either 2 or 3 times got me from 40 leadership to 99.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just picked body guards and had them do things and I leveled up. I think trying to min-max it is a really boring way to play. You get the same amount of points regardless of what skill is used. It's if it's used successfully that matters. And even then, you get 50 points just for using the skills.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
35 per bodyguard, minimum. 5 on use, 30 on completion. Though in the end, you'll likely run Gather Supplies+Summon Enemy by default. Time is everything.

One thing I can't figure is whether the secondary skill earned via bond is fixed, or dependant on who you use to unlock it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 27, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloodly posted:

35 per bodyguard, minimum. 5 on use, 30 on completion. Though in the end, you'll likely run Gather Supplies+Summon Enemy by default. Time is everything.

One thing I can't figure is whether the secondary skill earned via bond is fixed, or dependant on who you use to unlock it.

Summon Enemy counts as kills?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So how exactly do the older Xtreme Legends discs work? I have 4XL and am playing 4 right now, should I switch discs and ignore my vanilla DW4 or did that not start becoming a thing until later titles?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Speedball posted:

Summon Enemy counts as kills?

Summon Enemy brings in enemies - the description is kind of misleading. So naturally, killing them increases your kill count.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Maleketh posted:

Summon Enemy brings in enemies - the description is kind of misleading. So naturally, killing them increases your kill count.

It's about 100 per if you're patient, too. Makes farming a lot easier when you can quadruple the enemy count before using gather supplies.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

PureRok posted:

I just picked body guards and had them do things and I leveled up. I think trying to min-max it is a really boring way to play. You get the same amount of points regardless of what skill is used. It's if it's used successfully that matters. And even then, you get 50 points just for using the skills.

It's also a good idea to have and spam Gather Supplies anyway to keep your time maxed out in Ambition Mode.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
My time is constantly maxed regardless because I'm just that fast. :smug:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got a Puccho Red Hare from DLC in the PC version (I just found it in a menu in Ambition mode and purchased it). Is it identical to the Red Hare you get after 90 consecutive battles?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dewgy posted:

So how exactly do the older Xtreme Legends discs work? I have 4XL and am playing 4 right now, should I switch discs and ignore my vanilla DW4 or did that not start becoming a thing until later titles?

So if anyone cares, I figured this out on my own. XL has all of the original game's content, but I have to do a disc swap EVERY TIME if I want to play the original stuff. Mega lame! But they were cheap enough so whatever.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anyone know how to get gems quicker? Setting it to Hard gets you 5 (+5) gems per battle in Ambition mode, but in order to get enough gems to just to make two "ultimate" level 4 weapons it would take 20 battles (1120 gems). There are 82 (if I counted correctly) weapons. To make 2 of each weapon would take 192 battles straight (or 91,840 gems). That's assuming there isn't an upper limit of the amount of gems you can get per battle. This doesn't take into account the extra gems from bonds or partially completed weapons, of course, but that's still a lot.

Setting it to the hardest difficulty seems unreasonable. I mean, you get 10 (+10) per battle, but it takes a lot longer to kill anything. It doesn't even cut the amount of required battles in half; it lowers the battles to 136, only a 30% decrease.

I'm considering just cheating in the gems, because that isn't really the type of grind I'm into, to be honest.

E: And it would take 429 battles in sequence on Beginner difficulty. Even at 15 seconds per battle that's 1.7 hours nonstop, ignoring load times and menus in between.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 29, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You have trouble with gems? I have like 4k stocked just playing through ambition normally. Although to be fair, I did the entire story mode but you get gems via bonding with your bodyguards and other little stuff.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, I'm constantly using them. I had about that much, until I started using them. I have several finished weapons and have finished all story modes and am pretty close to finishing Ambition mode. I just have the XL levels to do.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
By the time I got Weapon Fusion I never dipped below 1.2k gems. And until I got a 2-set maxed Throwing Knives I only played on Normal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spending gems isn't even that expensive unless you're upping the attack of the weapon, cause that's the only thing that's really expensive.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

PureRok posted:

Anyone know how to get gems quicker? Setting it to Hard gets you 5 (+5) gems per battle in Ambition mode, but in order to get enough gems to just to make two "ultimate" level 4 weapons it would take 20 battles (1120 gems). There are 82 (if I counted correctly) weapons. To make 2 of each weapon would take 192 battles straight (or 91,840 gems). That's assuming there isn't an upper limit of the amount of gems you can get per battle. This doesn't take into account the extra gems from bonds or partially completed weapons, of course, but that's still a lot.

Setting it to the hardest difficulty seems unreasonable. I mean, you get 10 (+10) per battle, but it takes a lot longer to kill anything. It doesn't even cut the amount of required battles in half; it lowers the battles to 136, only a 30% decrease.

I'm considering just cheating in the gems, because that isn't really the type of grind I'm into, to be honest.

E: And it would take 429 battles in sequence on Beginner difficulty. Even at 15 seconds per battle that's 1.7 hours nonstop, ignoring load times and menus in between.

Gems cap at 9999, by the way.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PureRok posted:

If you're not into the grind, why the heck are you talking about making two ultimate weapons for every single weapon type in the game anyway? Pick a weapon you like, max it out, pass it off to different people as their secondary weapon, pull it out when you need to suddenly slaughter dudes.

Also remember you'll get bonus gems from a bunch of different sources, including Bond gifts and bodyguard abilities.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also the XL Ambition Mode gives you like 50 gems per fight plus bonuses. Don't gems increase per consecutive battle, too?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

If you're using the same bodyguards over and over, that would explain your shortage of gems. Switch them out frequently and you'll suddenly find yourself swimming in gems as they pour them on you for being their friend.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Jeez, if you're really short on Gems, do this:

Use CheatEngine,attach it to the Launch.exe process, then Ctrl+C this:

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<CheatTable>
  <CheatEntries>
    <CheatEntry>
      <ID>57782</ID>
      <Description>"Max Gems when fusing"</Description>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>Auto Assembler Script</VariableType>
      <AssemblerScript>[ENABLE]
assert(Launch.exe+24B116,81 F9 0F 27 00 00 77 02 8B F9 33 C9)
Launch.exe+24B11C:
 db EB
[DISABLE]
Launch.exe+24B11C:
 db 77
</AssemblerScript>
    </CheatEntry>
  </CheatEntries>
</CheatTable>
... and Ctrl+V it into Cheat Engine. Tick the checkbox next to "Max Gems when fusing" and you'll, well, have max gems when fusing.

/edit: This changes literally one byte in the game code. It's that easy.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 29, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Stelas posted:

Pick a weapon you like, max it out, pass it off to different people as their secondary weapon, pull it out when you need to suddenly slaughter dudes.

This implies I use different weapons on my characters. I don't. Everyone wears their EX weapons (unless I really hate it.), and then they were two of it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

How in the hell am I supposed to rescue Guo Huai to unlock the Jin hypothetical? I blaze through the stage, I kill everyone within seconds of them showing up, but I still can't reach him in time before Li Jian shows up and Guo Huai gets wounded.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

How in the hell am I supposed to rescue Guo Huai to unlock the Jin hypothetical? I blaze through the stage, I kill everyone within seconds of them showing up, but I still can't reach him in time before Li Jian shows up and Guo Huai gets wounded.

http://feoh.wikidot.com/dw8guide:jinstar

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
As soon as the mission starts, head east and follow around the perimeter, kill every officer along the way and complete every objective the game gives you. DO NOT APPROACH THE CASTLE FROM THE EAST. Keep following the perimeter until you get behind the castle that Guo Huai is in, if you do everything right you should hear an officer say something about disguises being useless, or something along those lines.

Edit: :argh:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Yeah, that is by far the most obtuse objective in the game. It isn't difficult if you know what to do, but the game never indicates how you're supposed to go about it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh, ok. Thanks. They should have told you a bit more about what to do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What's the best way to level quickly in 8? I've been playing for 30 hours and my top level character is only in his 50s, at this point I don't know how long it would take to get everyone there, let alone someone to 150. I still haven't even gotten level 4 weapons, even though I've gone out and gotten a 5th level one!

Searching for it, everything points to this Baidi castle glitch, but it looks like they've fixed that in the complete edition.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

What's the best way to level quickly in 8? I've been playing for 30 hours and my top level character is only in his 50s, at this point I don't know how long it would take to get everyone there, let alone someone to 150. I still haven't even gotten level 4 weapons, even though I've gone out and gotten a 5th level one!

Searching for it, everything points to this Baidi castle glitch, but it looks like they've fixed that in the complete edition.
Well, eventually you can just buy levels in Ambition mode, but I haven't gotten anyone close to level 150 so I don't know how much it would end up costing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh okay, that's actually a much simpler solution than I thought, even though I expect it's still going to take a lot of work. Thanks!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Boy, the 'Kill Lu Gong' objective in Wu Stage 1 really requires you to go for broke targetting him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fastest way to level is probably play a heavy Officer map and equip duel Halberds for the fastest kills.

On the other hand, not sure how you have multiple people at level 50 without seeing a level 4 weapon once. You can straight up buy those on Normal difficulty in the last maps of a Kingdom story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, eventually you can just buy levels in Ambition mode, but I haven't gotten anyone close to level 150 so I don't know how much it would end up costing.

450,000 per character assuming that character is starting from Level 1. The largest EXP boost costs 6000 for 4800 EXP, and there's no variation in levelling speed by character, it seems. Of course, after that there's outright buying stat boosts for even MORE power.

quote:

You can straight up buy those on Normal difficulty in the last maps of a Kingdom story.

Not always. There's still random chance that it'll throw you nothing but Level 3s, same as sometimes happens in Ambition even with a maxed Blacksmith. There's also those late maps that simply don't give you the chance to buy.

It's apparently(According to Steam community) possible to abuse difficulty settings to get high-rank weapons in early story stores, and then quit.

Random thinking: Wonder why Linqui only exists in the normal Lu Bu storyline? You'd think she'd show up in Hypothetical, but no.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 31, 2014