Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Disco Pope posted:

North-East Scotland. I found out that a colleague I get on with is an experienced climber today and she's offered to help me get back up to speed! :)

Where abouts in the north east?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

numptyboy posted:

Where abouts in the north east?

Aberdeen in particular.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Amerigoons! I am a west coast rear end in a top hat traveling to memphis this summer. I know there isn't poo poo to climb in memphis, but I may be taking a side trip to Gatlinburg and Chattanooga. Are there any not to be missed sport routes?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Save me jeebus posted:

Amerigoons! I am a west coast rear end in a top hat traveling to memphis this summer. I know there isn't poo poo to climb in memphis, but I may be taking a side trip to Gatlinburg and Chattanooga. Are there any not to be missed sport routes?

Just keep driving to red river gorge in Kentucky. More sport routes then you can list that are worth climbing.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

spwrozek posted:

Just keep driving to red river gorge in Kentucky. More sport routes then you can list that are worth climbing.

Yesss, the Red is awesome. I'm gonna put together my second trip there when I'm back in the States in September :)

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Disco Pope posted:

Aberdeen in particular.

Same here, i go to transition quite a bit. I you need a climbing buddy let me know.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Today I fell off a rock, cut open my chin while doing it.

gently caress mossy topouts, gently caress 'em.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Scotland is bloody great for climbing, even with the dire weather. Anyone go bouldering at TCA?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I saw this chalk bag at my rock gym tonight:

PRETTY JEALOUS.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Inflamed tendons suck.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

guppy posted:

I saw this chalk bag at my rock gym tonight:

PRETTY JEALOUS.

Pretty sick.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Is here a google group or outside network for SA climbers?

Anyways, after a tough semester of classes I'm trying to get back into climbing. Struggled up some V3s the other day which was relieving yet disappointing since I was pushing V4+ before. I find my grip and strength are there, but I've lost a ton of stamina. If anyone's in the Boston area and wants to hit up BRG give a shout!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

Is here a google group or outside network for SA climbers?

Anyways, after a tough semester of classes I'm trying to get back into climbing. Struggled up some V3s the other day which was relieving yet disappointing since I was pushing V4+ before. I find my grip and strength are there, but I've lost a ton of stamina. If anyone's in the Boston area and wants to hit up BRG give a shout!

I'll be in Boston for business (Billerica specifically) between the 8th and the 13th. It'd be cool to meet up with some other goons to climb.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I (still) live in Golden, so Clear Creek, Eldo, Boulder, North Table, South Platte, anywhere in Colorado, really, will be good for me.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
My helmet saved my life on sunday

Well not my helmet, and not my life. But that was the title. Stay safe.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

modig posted:

My helmet saved my life on sunday

Well not my helmet, and not my life. But that was the title. Stay safe.

I've always been lax about helmets, but that's a pretty sobering reminder--that's not some backwater crag either, Animal World sees pretty heavy use.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Discomancer posted:

I've always been lax about helmets, but that's a pretty sobering reminder--that's not some backwater crag either, Animal World sees pretty heavy use.

Yeah and I've actually climbed with the guy who posed it, and climbed at Animal World. That's about as close to home as it gets. I'm fairly good about wearing my helmet, mostly because my wife gets mad if I don't, but I kind of want to get one of those foam helmet with better side protection now.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I just started rock climbing (within the past couple months, anyway) and did my first outdoor climb a couple weekends ago. I didn't have a helmet and I felt naked as hell, which shook my confidence, big time. I wear a helmet for every other sport I do so I'm buying a rock climbing helmet ASAP - seems silly not to have one.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 29, 2014

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

magicalmako posted:

Inflamed tendons suck.

Hey me too :( . At least it's not torn but I still have to rest it for a while.

I really thought I tore it and was freaking out. Thank god for MRIs.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Anyone climb at planet granite Sunnyvale looking for a buddy? Or somewhere else reasonably nearby I have a car.

bandano
Jul 5, 2011

skudmunky posted:

Hey me too :( . At least it's not torn but I still have to rest it for a while.

I really thought I tore it and was freaking out. Thank god for MRIs.

I've been resting an inflamed tendon that won't heal for over 2 months... Be sure to take a boatload of ibuprofen and rest appropriately

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I've heard that light workouts are necessary for tendons to heal because it promotes blood flow that the tendon doesn't get normally and that improves healing. I had a tendon that wouldn't get better until I started climbing easy for 15-20 minutes a few times a week. No progress before but its starting to feel better and stronger, though still weaker than my other fingers.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

bandano posted:

I've been resting an inflamed tendon that won't heal for over 2 months... Be sure to take a boatload of ibuprofen and rest appropriately

If possible, icing frequently is also really helpful. Maybe more helpful than taking an NSAID long-term.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
I've had a bunch of problems with the middle finger on my right hand for the past 2.5 years or so. First it was a collateral ligament, then some pulley issues, and now the joint is messed up somehow. It's finally getting close to 100% now!

The biggest improvement I've gotten is from a mixture of rest, using theraputty for hand exercises, an accupressure massage ring, and contrast baths. I don't know which, if any, of these actually made a difference(besides rest, always helps) but I'm all better now. :iiam:

Kinda better at least.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Supreme Court posted:

Scotland is bloody great for climbing, even with the dire weather. Anyone go bouldering at TCA?
Yeah, I go a couple of times most weeks. So much nicer to climb at than the GCC, although it seems to tear my skin worse than basically anywhere else I've climbed (and I cut my teeth on Dartmoor Granite and Yorkshire Grit). I'm currently recovering from not climbing for about 3 years and then on getting back into it immediately tearing a couple of pulleys trying to climb too hard when I was still weak. Seems like my strength is coming back though, now I just need to drop the extra few kg I seem to have picked up in the time spent sitting on my arse.

tynam
May 14, 2007
Had my first finger "injury" (index finger a4 pulley area) last week. Hurt only in that very specific area, and only when applying pressure to it. With lots of massaging and a couple rest days it went away cleanly, but I was making GBS threads myself for a bit. At this stage I can't even imagine not climbing for a week straight.

Has anyone here been deep water soloing before? Any tips/tricks? In terms of climbing, I've been focusing hard on roof climbing and steep inverts/endurance, which hopefully transfers over well. I'm still clueless on shoe/chalk management with that much water around though.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Welp.

Torn rotator cuff.

gently caress my life.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

Welp.

Torn rotator cuff.

gently caress my life.

Dude.... No.....

Are you for sure? I did that back in college, it sucks. Are you getting surgery?

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Anyone climb at planet granite Sunnyvale looking for a buddy? Or somewhere else reasonably nearby I have a car.

Not really close but we should organize something one day. I'm in the central coast.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Dude.... No.....

Are you for sure? I did that back in college, it sucks. Are you getting surgery?

No need for surgery but I am hella loading on lodine. It's working but not at nearly 100% now. It looks minor, but definitely limiting.

Sucks. Balls.

At least I can still cycle. :(

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob

gamera009 posted:

No need for surgery but I am hella loading on lodine. It's working but not at nearly 100% now. It looks minor, but definitely limiting.

Sucks. Balls.

At least I can still cycle. :(

Are you going to go through physical therapy? Even minor shoulder injuries can linger for awhile if not treated properly.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

TotallyUnoriginal posted:

Are you going to go through physical therapy? Even minor shoulder injuries can linger for awhile if not treated properly.

I have all my PT poo poo in gear and squared away. I'm on it. Especially "Los drugas". :v:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I've been having a lot of discomfort in my hands and arms the last few weeks. It's kind of hard to describe, like a dull ache in my tendons with some tingling/spasms throughout. I also feel like I've had some strength loss in my biceps. I only climb every 2-3 days max. My diet's been kinda crappy lately, but I'm starting to get concerned that I can't shake this.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The first half of my trad rack showed up yesterday. Gotta go make these cams less clean :black101:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dutymode posted:

I've been having a lot of discomfort in my hands and arms the last few weeks. It's kind of hard to describe, like a dull ache in my tendons with some tingling/spasms throughout. I also feel like I've had some strength loss in my biceps. I only climb every 2-3 days max. My diet's been kinda crappy lately, but I'm starting to get concerned that I can't shake this.
This is exactly what's been happening to me, though its just my right elbow. Its like I pulled it somehow.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Are you icing it twice a day or so? The ache is related to inflammation and you can really help that by icing. Take a week off climbing, ice, and see what happens.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

gamera009 posted:

Welp.

Torn rotator cuff.

gently caress my life.

:(

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Ravenfood posted:

This is exactly what's been happening to me, though its just my right elbow. Its like I pulled it somehow.

Do you do any tricep work? Muscle imbalance is a really common problem and can be fixed by just doing some dips/skullcrushers/pulldowns etc. At the end of a session. This usually manifests as an ache that happens mostly when you let go of a hold in the inside of your elbow above the joint.

Keep in mind I'm not a doctor, don't ignore actual pain, yadda yadda

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Watching the IFC building works cup in Vail right now. These problems are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

spwrozek posted:

IFC building works cup

ISFC bouldering world cup

How did you manage so many typos in these short words!