Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm amazed that actually going alone and unarmed works.

I'm guessing extra party members spoil it, even if they're unarmed? Even if they're three of the four sisters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Knight

"Sir Swordnboard McMullet, reporting for duty!"

Races: Human, Skeleton
RT:36 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3
Weapons: 1h Swords, 1h axes, Hammers, 1h Crossbows, Lobber
Armor: Heavy
Magic: Divine
Heal, Instill, Hearten
Support: Rampart Aura IV, Counterattack III, Knockback III, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Spellstrike II (why), Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Spell Ward II, Constitution IV, Inisight II, Expand Mind II, Channeling II, Tactician II
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Sanctuary, Absorb MP II
Action: Guardian Force, Sanctuary Shadow, Phalanx, Rampart Shadow
Special:

Remember my little triangle graph of roles? Put something real close to physical but have it edge a bit towards Support. That's Knight. They're less capable of hitting people in their faces than Warriors, but make up for it by having really tough faces. They equip the best gear for raw defense and have high HP, Vitality, and Resistance growths. Throw in the ability to heal and use Instill Light, and I bet you're just waiting for me to get to the weaknesses aren't you.

Well, first off, there's the ol' tactical RPG problem of the player being on the offensive. Battles start with your guys in their little 3x4 box that Deman must think is downright erotic, and the enemies spread out all over the map. Despite superior numbers, the enemy can't concentrate on a single spot like you can. So instead of it being 12 vs. 16 it's 12 vs. 4 four times. When the enemy uses a Knight to command a chokepoint, it allows its scattered troops to converge and beat you down through attrition. It goes back to action economy. By staying on the offensive, you prevent the enemy's forces from effectively acting their number.

Second, Knights have really high RT which is exacerbated by heavy equipment. Knights have a real problem getting turns. Their turns aren't all that valuable, either. Their offense is the attack command with a single weapon and their support is bare-bones.

Phalanx is a drat sexy ability, reducing damage to 1/10th, but the AI notices it and will target around it. If you can set it up so that the Knight's the only target, the enemy will still act on its fetish of doing things and crash itself like waves on a rock - with damage to match. Sure, this often results in the knight getting double-turned, but they'll usually just crash on it again, filling TP back up to Phalanx again. At level 3 and 4, Rampart Aura starts poking out diagonally, with all the utter madness that implies.

Like Wizards and Warriors, the Knight gets outdone by special jobs. White Knight pretty much bills itself as a superior Knight and while it lacks Phalanx, Velocity Shift is so grossly absurd that it doesn't much matter. There's a few others I'd love to discuss because they make my pants tighter if you know what I mean, but, spoilers.

Early on they're perfectly functional but kind of interchangeable with Valkyries, but while Valkyries go into an awkward phase where they get Boon of Swiftness but can't really do much damage, Knights keep chugging along like before. It's when special classes show up and elemental weapons make battles a hell of a lot more lethal that the Knight really loses its luster.

The enemy using Phalanx will forever be the ultimate pain in the rear end, though.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Don't wanna step on toes, so I am gonna ask. Helmet10 and OFS, you mind if I take a crack at a couple of the non human classes, patriarch, hoplites, juggernaut etc? Obviously I would have to stay within the LP (and now that I think of it it don't think you have any of these classes so moot point I guess).

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Rollersnake posted:

As clever as this last bit is, I still think it's hilarious that an unarmed Denim will get attacked here for having the audacity to show up wearing pants.

In the original game, they would even attack you for so much as having a support spell equipped on Denam.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Revisiting this thread inspired me to pick my own game back up.

Now where was I? Oh yes, just halfway through the Palace of the Dead is all :shepicide:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Captain Oblivious posted:

Revisiting this thread inspired me to pick my own game back up.

Now where was I? Oh yes, just halfway through the Palace of the Dead is all :shepicide:

Everytime I quit for a couple months that's always where I come back to. I can't imagine doing it in the original version. I would have died from an anyureism.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

waah posted:

Everytime I quit for a couple months that's always where I come back to. I can't imagine doing it in the original version. I would have died from an anyureism.

It's actually very easy in the original version. On like floor...25 or something you get a spell that will clear the entire board of monsters, assuming the monster spawn is of a certain type. That type occurs on like 33% of floors. (I'm trying to be vague about this since I suspect that dungeon didn't change that much from SNES/PSX to PSP, and I don't want to spoil stuff).

In any event, you can do most floors of the dungeon via:
1.) Your fastest character equips a + MP item, and stands next to the dude with that spell. On his first turn, he loads said dude up with sufficient MP
2.) Nuke the board, proceed to the next floor

Like, you can crank through floors in < 2 minutes.

Of course, in the original game, once you got to the bottom floor, you had to do the dungeon ALL OVER AGAIN if you wanted the special prize :shepicide:

(even that's not so bad since if you completed the dungeon once, you have about 3 different ways of breaking the game hilariously and creating units that will absolutely murder the field in a single turn regardless of what the spawn type is)

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

waah posted:

Don't wanna step on toes, so I am gonna ask. Helmet10 and OFS, you mind if I take a crack at a couple of the non human classes, patriarch, hoplites, juggernaut etc? Obviously I would have to stay within the LP (and now that I think of it it don't think you have any of these classes so moot point I guess).

We do have hoplites and juggernauts, so I say go for it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

waah posted:

I don't have much experience outside of human classes except Vartan and Patriarch so knock yourself out.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

FairGame posted:

I suspect that dungeon didn't change that much from SNES/PSX to PSP

That place and basically all the things you mention actually have some very pronounced mechanical differences. Instagibbing whole floors that way is off the table.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

As well as significantly more variety in map design, which makes it a little less boring but no less tedious.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well it's nice that there's an emulator that works, as my old psp has long since stopped holding a charge and the disc reading case requires you to hold it closed... But I find it just makes all kinds of screwed up colors instead. I'm so bad at this.

I stopped just before the final area on the law route though. Suppose I get to see what happens through this at least.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

You spent your days in play with Mreuva's four daughters there...

...Go on.

Its kinda funny that this line is what make Denam stop freaking out about his past. Its like, "Four women and I? Go on"

Also I too just took off Denam's weapons for this and was still attacked cause I had armor on :v: I think their dialogue slightly changes to omit the "So you bring troops" part.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Leal posted:

Its kinda funny that this line is what make Denam stop freaking out about his past. Its like, "Four women and I? Go on"

Yeah I always thought that line was pretty :quagmire:

I thought chapter 3 was a bit of a slog story-wise so I'm glad we're getting to some juicy parts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bregor posted:

Yeah I always thought that line was pretty :quagmire:

I thought chapter 3 was a bit of a slog story-wise so I'm glad we're getting to some juicy parts.

Yeah that's mostly a function of it being the Chaos route. Because Chaos route Denam is so principled he doesn't really have a whole lot of ability to effect things until stuff starts imploding and falling into his lap all it's own.

Law is more proactive, can't comment on Neutral. I hear Neutral is pretty bad though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Drakenel posted:

Well it's nice that there's an emulator that works, as my old psp has long since stopped holding a charge and the disc reading case requires you to hold it closed... But I find it just makes all kinds of screwed up colors instead. I'm so bad at this.

I stopped just before the final area on the law route though. Suppose I get to see what happens through this at least.

Not to sound condescending, but have you thought about getting a new battery? PSP batteries suck in general and they use a charge relatively quickly even if you don't play with them, but I bought a high-capacity battery (came with a new door) and it helped a fair bit. You probably aren't keen on a Vita and they probably don't actually make PSP batteries anymore, but perhaps you can get one on eBay or the like.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Drakenel posted:

Use content manager to transfer your saves to a computer. USB doesn't require the battery to hold a charge to extract all your saves. TO on a vita is amazing and you can transfer your saves (this is for any psp game).

So even if you got emu route at least you don't have to start over.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

waah posted:

Use content manager to transfer your saves to a computer. USB doesn't require the battery to hold a charge to extract all your saves. TO on a vita is amazing and you can transfer your saves (this is for any psp game).

So even if you got emu route at least you don't have to start over.

Oh man, why have I not done this yet. :getin:

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 45: Forever

Hey, look! It's an update. Haven't seen one of those in forever. In the last one we got plot dumped on us. Lots and lots of plot. So much plot I'm not going to even try to sum it up. Because it doesn't matter, it's sidequest time! To activate this sidequest we need to read the following:

It's back to Balmamusa for us.

Before we head out, we have to talk about what might be the worst mechanic in the game, Chaos frame. Simply put chaos frame is how much each ethnicity "likes" us. It is kind of like macro-loyalty in a way. As for why we need to have this talk. Well, you'll find out next update. Whenever that happens.

To check our chaos frame we first need to recruit some new people. What? You were expecting something straight forward. Hahaha. We're just getting started with this one.

By looking at their loyalty messages we can gauge our chaos frame with their clan of origin, Galgastan in this case. A new recruit's loyalty is base on their clan's current chaos frame. So to check a particular chaos frame you need to check the loyalty of newbies from that clan. Then look at a chart to tell you what those message mean numerically. I'm not going to post the chart because Gamefaqs and Google exists for a reason.

These two tell us that our Galgastani chaos frame is somewhere between 31-60. Not very helpful. To get the reward at the end of this sidequest we need our Galgastani chaos frame to be above 50. So we need to raise it to make sure we get it. It is worth noting loyalty messages change at 40 and 60 unnamed loyalty units so really we need to get it 60 to be certain.

Our actions in the game so far have actually been affecting our chaos frame with every ethnicity. Doing certain things in battle will raise or lower chaos frame. Also, most of the dialog options so far have had an effect as well. For example, when we choose to defy Ronwey's orders at Balmamusa our chaos frame was altered in the following ways: +15 Walister, +10 Xenobia, +10 Lodis, -10 Galgastan, and -10 Bakram. Of course the game doesn't tell you any of this. Since dialog options are limited, there's is only one method that is guaranteed to raise our chaos frame...

I don't even what to think about how long it takes to do all of this. So many battles, so many hours wasted... Seriously, just use a cheat code. That's what I did. :v:

Now, about that sidequest.

For this fight we're equipping everyone with baldur weapons, for reasons. Trust me they will be extremely useful.

Dead people? In Balmamusa of all place, how is this possible?

The undead lurch forward.

Sleep. souls, embrace the waiting ever-world!

Haven't we seen this scene before?

Yes, yes we have. Clerics are dumb.

Why don't they understand basic game play mechanics? It's not like the game hides them or anything... wait, never mind.

This does not go well. I cannot deliver them all to rest.

Goons to the rescue!

Flee while you can!

May the protection of the Father be with you!

She teleports to...

Nevermind.

I don't care if he is an undead abomination who just killed someone. He deserves a medal for showing some initiative and actually attacking and not just standing there like everyone else. He's a real go-getter.

No! Blast, if we'd only arrived sooner.

Unh...

She still lives. Quick, aid her!

There is a few undead monster laying around the battlefield. We've seen this trick before.

What's new is that Oelias didn't die a cutscene death. She's KO'ed and waiting for some help. She will be waiting awhile.

Since there are all these undead about. We actually brought a couple of Clerics along with us. Plus it would be mean to bench Olivya right after we recruited her.

Also Prowler now has the best ninjutsu, Leaping Monkey.

With it he can ignore terrain height while moving. Since it is status effect it lasts for several turns. It's great.

Canopus demonstrates why we're using baldur weapons. They cut through undead like they're not even there.

We also bought some exorcism spells in preparation for this sidequest.

The rest of the battle follows the same pattern. Kill undead.

Then, exorcise undead.

At some point those monster spring back to unlife.

Not that it matters. They don't stay up for long. Seriously, baldur weapons break this fight.

Eventually, we take the time to revive Oelias.

You need to mend yourself first. That will be best done elsewhere. Go, quickly!

May the protection of the Father be with you.

She immediately runs away. Not that we needed her around anyway.

Then, we end the fight.

I know. Zombies are usually known for their fast-paced, surgical strikes. That are carried out by one or two zombies at most.

Perhaps the woman we saved knows something. We can ask her while we tend to her wounds.

Congratulations

The attack came without warning. The zombies... They moved like a troop of living men. It was an organized attack.

I wonder what kind of people would and could use zombies to attack a place? It's a real puzzler.

I fear so. But who would put the dead to...to such... *cough*

Steady!

The zombies move to attack Almorica. Please, you must protect the people there... Give the dead their deserved rest.

I promise we'll do all we can.

Thank... you. I go to my maker... in peace.

:smith:

Next time: The meat of this sidequest.

Warren Report

The Balmamusa Dead

Oelias Melandyll

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Update! :woop:

Very ambitious to take on this sidequest now. Looking forward to see how you handle it.

CHAOS FRAME! :argh: LUCT does a lot of things well with its sidequests but making CF really difficult to pinpoint and change is not one of them.

(Also I love your Warren drawing :3: )

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
No lie, I did this sidequest the same point in the plot H10W is tackling it. If you invest in some scrolls (as he did) it's no big.

Nice edit on her thanks, by the way. :tipshat:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The frequent subtle edits have been one of my favorite parts of this LP, and I'm glad to see it return. :buddy:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

When this LP first started I haven't got to this part. When I did reach this part and saw her say "The Order of <name>!" I thought "Man, if she said 'The Order of Goons' I can imagine it being said in like a sarcastic manner"

Also I am annoyed that I have now learned that I lost something cause of the chaos frame mechanic. First you got me the bad ending in 64, now this :argh:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Good lord, the dreaded Galgastani Death March. As much as I love the sidequest, ensuring you get the most out of it was a pain in the rear end. The first time I played, I did the Death March proper, the second and third times I, too, just cheated because gently caress doing that again.

With regards to CF, does it have any effect on anything other than recruiting Cressida or the game's ending? I'm pretty sure that's all that CF does for you.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

RIP in peace, random stranger.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Neurion posted:

Good lord, the dreaded Galgastani Death March. As much as I love the sidequest, ensuring you get the most out of it was a pain in the rear end. The first time I played, I did the Death March proper, the second and third times I, too, just cheated because gently caress doing that again.

With regards to CF, does it have any effect on anything other than recruiting Cressida or the game's ending? I'm pretty sure that's all that CF does for you.
Some characters will threaten to leave you if it gets too low. I've even heard horror stories of the Zenobians deserting because the Zenobian CF somehow went to poo poo.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Neurion posted:

I do not believe so. God I was so pissed when I went through all of this only to not get my reward. Stupid CF.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Neurion posted:

Not really. If you never go down the Chaos Route, CF will remain blissfully irrelevant to you forever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, you improve a faction's loyalty to you by letting them get knocked out in training? How does that even work?

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

My only guess is that retreating from the fight counts as the KO'ed units being "revived" in some way. But even that doesn't make much sense.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's just the standard, "the enemy killed your people. Are you going to take that?" thing, so naturally the clan would feel more sympathy for you as opposed to who you're fighting against, which is also the same party that killed their clansmen.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
They start hating whoever you sent their people to their deaths against more than you, maybe?

The whole concept doesn't make much sense. Apparently, one of the in-battle actions that makes Chaos Frame go down is having someone kill another unit that belongs to their clan. So if one of your Galgastani soldiers kills another Galgastani, it makes Galgastanis in general like you less. Even if the Galgastanis you're killing happen to be undead.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I believe Helmet is correct--I'd read in multiple places that reviving a fallen player increases their race's chaos frame. I wish I'd known this method works, though!

(Sorta, still a hell of a grind, and I didn't bother otherwise.)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh neat, oelias appears in versions other than neutral.

Oh dear, she apparently shows up only to die in a cutscene.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did that sidequest. It took me two hours to raise my CF enough. I followed Warren's advice.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
I believe you can get enough Galgastan CF exclusively through dialogue choices and avoid having to do a Death March. However, you have to choose an option that will lock you out of a different sidequest.

Because why not.

As for raising/lowering CF through unit KOs, its essentially what Balk said earlier. You have two units from the same race; two Walister, two Galgastani, etc. If your unit KOs the enemy unit, you get a slight negative hit on CF with that faction. If the enemy KO's your unit, you get a slight boost to CF with that faction. I don't believe revival matters at all, but, well, you know.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Yeah you can do it simply through dialogue choices, and it does lock you out of that sidequest unless you take a chance on your CF being high enough. If you avoid the reason why you do the death march until right after you beat the game, you can world back and breeze through the story battles to make all the choices to get your Galg CF high enough without the death march. The dialogue way is always less work, less time, and less :suicide:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When I told my friend what I was doing for the sidequests murdering my team over and voer, as well as selling my dragons to eat their delicious delicious stat-granting meat, he nicknamed me the Dark Lord of Valeria.

I got the high CF ending. :shrug:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This game. This goddamned game. The LP resulted in my breaking out an old PSP to see if my save file was still there. Lo and behold, it was! Gee, I wonder why I never beat it? Oh right. Because everything takes forever. I like the plot, the music the characters, even the systems (in part). And yet... Despite the downright absurd amount of content included, trying to unlock it fully is an exercise in unbelievable tedium.

The crafting system desperately needs an option to automatically make the base ingredients--you should not need 50 button-presses to make one piece of equipment with a 50% success rate, even for endgame stuff. When you multiply that over the 12 or so units you need as the minimum, it takes hours. Unlock a new class at level 1? Welp, better go find a random battle where they won't be gibbed before they get a turn by enemies with ranged attacks. Also, you need to do this like 20 times to get them to a usable level.

To top it off, if you don't play with a walkthrough in front of you... Well, good loving luck getting the recruit from this sidequest with the totally invisible mechanic determining success or failure. It's amazing to me how a game that so does much right managed to bungle such a fundamental part of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, I watched a few VLP's of this game just to refresh myself after playing the SFC version for comparison, and holy god this game is slow. Constant blocking, constant missing. Even right up to the endgame. The original still has that stupid training idea where you throw rocks at each other for five minutes, but still. This thing was remade in 2010. Lots of stupid poo poo should have been ironed out, least of all being able to skip cutscenes.

• Locked thread