Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I don't think of 52 as one since it's mostly self-contained and not line-wide, but it's a good call in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I liked a lot of the stuff in the 52 era. Infinite Crisis was pretty good. Identity Crisis is bad overall, but has some cool character moments. At least for the ones that stayed in-character. And yeah, 52 ruled. I can't remember if I liked OMAC Project. I think I did?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The thing that made that era for DC so good (and we may be looking at it through rose-tinted glasses but still) is that you had Rucka, Morrison, peak-Johns, and Waid driving the direction of the characters. DC actually let their talent do interesting stuff without much editorial interference (which is what pissed off Didio about 52 which told a story he didn't want told).

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Opopanax posted:

Yeah but it's vvvveeerrryyyy morrison so read it, then read a companion, then read it a few more times. I didn't like it at all when I first read it and now it's one of my favorite books.

Also if you're not getting the TPB make sure you get Superman Beyond

I didn't like it all and I still don't, but unlike the asker I'm not much on Morrison anyway.

You shouldn't shy away from reading another era's comics just because continuity has changed since then. You're not really reading them to get a better understanding of the continuity anyway, you just want a good story.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This conversation has me thinking about eras in comics. What's your favorite publisher specific era in comics? Like a snapshot of one universe where you think everything just clicked.

For nostalgic purposes I guess mine is 2000s DC. When I was just eating, sleeping and breathing comics. That was a very flawed time that led to a lot of the bullshit we're dealing with now, but there was a lot of good around then. I don't think publisher spanning crossovers have been better than they were then.

But as I get older more and more comics I'm reading come from 80s DC, which I think is my real favorite. Doom Patrol, Animal Man, JLI, Dark Knight Returns, Man of Steel, New Teen Titans. So many cool and experimental things were going on. Crisis was such a huge shift that there was no status quo and writers seemed able to do whatever they wanted. Imagine if the flagship Justice League book today were anything like JLI. And the art talent at the time was incredible. People were drawing really naturalistic forms that were still super colorful and comic book-y. No one was too jacked and only a couple guys wore street clothes and long coats.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Dumb question and continuity related: I've worked through the recent Avengers, New Avengers, and Infinity on Marvel Unlimited. Now I'm working on GotG, and how the gently caress is Tony Stark everywhere at the same goddamn time. Did I forget something from New Avengers/Avengers where he mentioned that he was gonna peace out to space for a while and chill with the Guardians? I mean I'm enjoying the book and all but its kind of confusing.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
There are some throw away lines were the Iron Man suit in Avengers is a suit he is controlling by remote from space. It's really not worth it to over think all these things. How is Wolverine on all these different teams? Comic books, doesn't really matter.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Sturm posted:

There are some throw away lines were the Iron Man suit in Avengers is a suit he is controlling by remote from space. It's really not worth it to over think all these things. How is Wolverine on all these different teams? Comic books, doesn't really matter.

I like that answer. Thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did Fraction leave FF/F4 on good terms and how do the series maintain after he's gone?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

zoux posted:

Did Fraction leave FF/F4 on good terms and how do the series maintain after he's gone?
Ironically, he had to drop those books to do Inhuman. Lee Allred took over FF and Karl Kesel took over F4 and both did a good job with Fraction's plot outlines, in the sense that FF remained fantastic and F4 remained ok-but-not-great. The conclusion to them both was pretty satisfying though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What I'm reading at the moment is the Iron Man by David Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita, Jr. omnibus; I'm about three-quarters of the way through. It's a bit odd that this is a massively acclaimed run (and I think it deserves the recongition) which introduced a lot of pretty big components of the Iron Man mythos - Rhodey, Hammer, Bethany Cabe, Tony Stark's drinking problem, his rivalry with Dr Doom, even his friendship with Bruce Banner to an extent - and yet the Mandarin hasn't been in it once. As far as I'm aware, he didn't appear in the subsequent Dennis O'Neil run either; Obadiah Stane was the main villain in that one, nor the second Michelinie/Layton run.

Was the character dead during the 1980s? What was his last appearance before 1978, when they started writing the book? When did he come back?

Also (and this is only very loosely related), there's one panel where a girl describes Tony Stark as "cuter than Ed Asner" - was Ed Asner a sex symbol in 1981?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ed Asner was already super old in 1981.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-April-11-17-Asner-Grant/dp/B002MOF97Q

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

What I'm reading at the moment is the Iron Man by David Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita, Jr. omnibus; I'm about three-quarters of the way through. It's a bit odd that this is a massively acclaimed run (and I think it deserves the recongition) which introduced a lot of pretty big components of the Iron Man mythos - Rhodey, Hammer, Bethany Cabe, Tony Stark's drinking problem, his rivalry with Dr Doom, even his friendship with Bruce Banner to an extent - and yet the Mandarin hasn't been in it once. As far as I'm aware, he didn't appear in the subsequent Dennis O'Neil run either; Obadiah Stane was the main villain in that one, nor the second Michelinie/Layton run.

Was the character dead during the 1980s? What was his last appearance before 1978, when they started writing the book? When did he come back?

The Mandarin was not a big deal during the '80s -- they spent a lot more time with businessman enemies like Justin Hammer and Obadiah Stane. I have a theory that he's only back now because he's kind of Iron Man's only biggish-name supervillain enemy. Justin Hammer fought him by funding much lower-powered tech villains like Beetle and the Melter, while Stane was really about pushing Tony all the way into the gutter.

The other big Iron Man enemies (and the guys who could go toe-to-toe with IM in a fight) were Soviets, and that's not really a going concern these days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does Thanos do anything between the end of his 04 Series and the beginning of Annihlation?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Does Thanos do anything between the end of his 04 Series and the beginning of Annihlation?

I don't think so. When was Marvel Universe the End published?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

I don't think so. When was Marvel Universe the End published?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok cool. I just read the Thanos series and the three Inhumans series before embarking on my great quest to read all of cosmic Marvel through Thanos Imperative. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Ok cool. I just read the Thanos series and the three Inhumans series before embarking on my great quest to read all of cosmic Marvel through Thanos Imperative. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Here you go

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ultimate doesn't have the WoK Warriors books for some reason, and I've heard the Skarr stuff is skippable. They've had Kingbreaker 2 & 4 forever but just added 1&3, which is what prompted me to read this stuff.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

WoK is mostly garbage anyways, unless you're really interested in the Shi-ar and Summers family for some reason.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Here you go

Is "cosmic marvel" a thing that only encompasses '04 and later comics with those characters? Because Thanos, galactus, silver surfer, etc. has been around since at least like the 1970s.

I mean, I was introduced to Thanos via the Dreadstar comics. So I'm wondering if Dreadstar is considered "cosmic marvel"? How about Captain Marvel, Warlock, etc.?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Leperflesh posted:

Is "cosmic marvel" a thing that only encompasses '04 and later comics with those characters? Because Thanos, galactus, silver surfer, etc. has been around since at least like the 1970s.

I mean, I was introduced to Thanos via the Dreadstar comics. So I'm wondering if Dreadstar is considered "cosmic marvel"? How about Captain Marvel, Warlock, etc.?

I think "cosmic Marvel" gets those dates because they weren't doing very much with the cosmic characters for the previous ten-plus years. It had become an ignored part of the Marvel universe, so it was pretty awesome when they showed up again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For most of the 1980s and 1990s cosmic Marvel was almost exclusively the purview of Jim Starlin (who'd been at almost since the start of his career).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Annihilation was kind of a huge thing that breathed new life into the cosmic stuff, too. That's more what that chart is based off

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Annihilation was kind of a huge thing that breathed new life into the cosmic stuff, too. That's more what that chart is based off

It was also sort of a soft reboot since they could make any changes they wanted to by just blaming the war.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Here you go

I just noticed this, but it uses "may be read" in the entire thing suggesting that you can read them in different orders, like reading Annihilation #3 followed by War of Kings #1 then Annihilation: Conquest #5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I just noticed this, but it uses "may be read" in the entire thing suggesting that you can read them in different orders, like reading Annihilation #3 followed by War of Kings #1 then Annihilation: Conquest #5.

Except that it doesn't? Each column is it's own section.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Except that it doesn't? Each column is it's own section.

Okay, fine, but if you limit it to each column, it is still saying you could read, say, War of Kings #3-6 followed by War of Kings #1-2 because the word "may" implies an option. It's just a minor personal annoyance and I get what it's trying to say and no one is actually going to do that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Okay, fine, but if you limit it to each column, it is still saying you could read, say, War of Kings #3-6 followed by War of Kings #1-2 because the word "may" implies an option. It's just a minor personal annoyance and I get what it's trying to say and no one is actually going to do that.

You can. You shouldn't, but the JPEG cannot stop you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey it's just a laid bag jpeg man, it's not trying to lay any harsh rules on ya, read what ya want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

The dividing lines are clearly there to show you which groups of books can be read in any order. Come on man, you're one of the better posters here and you're just being silly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I never let any stinking reading orders tell me what order to read my comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The dividing lines are clearly there to show you which groups of books can be read in any order. Come on man, you're one of the better posters here and you're just being silly.
Please don't troll.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Leperflesh posted:

Is "cosmic marvel" a thing that only encompasses '04 and later comics with those characters? Because Thanos, galactus, silver surfer, etc. has been around since at least like the 1970s. I mean, I was introduced to Thanos via the Dreadstar comics. So I'm wondering if Dreadstar is considered "cosmic marvel"? How about Captain Marvel, Warlock, etc.?
There was definitely a soft reboot and a series of deliberate long-term stories told from 2004 onwards in a way that had not previously been done.

As for Dreadstar, that was a creator-owned book by Jim Starlin that didn't take place in the Marvel Universe and (to my knowledge) never featured Thanos. There was a big square jawed beetle-browed bad guy named Lord Papal(who vaguely resembled Thanos and Mongul, who is also Starlin-designed) maybe you're thinking of him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the current GotG team only goes back to 2008?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

So the current GotG team only goes back to 2008?

The current team goes back like a year and a half. It's not exactly the same lineup as before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The current team goes back like a year and a half. It's not exactly the same lineup as before.

Right, but I thought it was like a Sliver Age team or something. I was reading Starlord #1 today and when Peter met Rocket for the first time I was like, hang on....

I also have no idea why I thought they were an old school team, but I did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Right, but I thought it was like a Sliver Age team or something. I was reading Starlord #1 today and when Peter met Rocket for the first time I was like, hang on....

The original GotG are from 1000 years in the future, they'd traveled back in time a few times to team up with the Avengers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I guess when DC won't stop copying you, there's only one way to fight back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

The original Guardians (in publishing terms) were created in 1969 (I hadn't realized they were that old), and looked like this:

They had one of those old-fashioned sets of origins. One guy was from Pluto (thermal-based powers), one guy was from Jupiter (stocky and strong, because gravity), one guy was from Earth, and then a couple of aliens.

It was later decided that they named themselves after the modern-day Guardians out of respect.

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 31, 2014