Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Acquire Currency! posted:

Reminds me of watching a video for a big upcoming ArmA3 mod where for a split second a 'rape' command came up on the action wheel.

I'm hoping it was actually 'rap' which would be cool and not awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Being able to secure military victories via the medium of rap battles would be pretty sweet.

Someone really needs to make a Misery 1.5, with the gameplay aspects of 1.0 with the non lovely elements of 2.1, like the in game class selection, aesthetic improvements and such.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 29, 2014

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

E.Nigma posted:

Arsenal Overhaul - Clear Sky will be released tomorrow.

Sweet. Finally another reason I can give CS a go.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
If you didn't think STALKER was creepy enough, why not add in a dash of traditionally unsettling Russian cartoon characters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MW3iMsi204

E.Nigma posted:

Arsenal Overhaul - Clear Sky will be released tomorrow.

See the features page for the full list of weapons: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky/features/aocs-features

Sounds awesome, this'll be the second wind I need to give CS another go.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

Being able to secure military victories via the medium of rap battles would be pretty sweet.

Someone really needs to make a Misery 1.5, with the gameplay aspects of 1.0 with the non lovely elements of 2.1, like the in game class selection, aesthetic improvements and such.

But what about the vision?!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

But what about the vision?!

Trojanauch has a rather limited vision since his head is firmly stuck up his rear end. Explains why Misery is so brown, though.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Azran posted:

Considering I do not enjoy a lot of the most simulation-y stuff that you do in Misery (like having to buy a stove to cook your food, the insane amount of useless items, how hosed up the economy is) would I enjoy Misery 1.2? I never really played it so I don't know what's the difference, but if they made a 2.1 version it must mean the original one is really good?

Oh, alright. Thanks. :)

Yeah, 1.2 is basically just extra hard mode, the only big changes over the basic game are a few new weapons and alpha squads that can gently caress your day up at long range. Other than that they don't have the thousands of bits and pieces that just drive you crazy. If they had just taken 1.2 and added more quests, areas, and maybe some artifacts it would have turned into the game everyone on these forums was getting super hyped about.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

If you didn't think STALKER was creepy enough, why not add in a dash of traditionally unsettling Russian cartoon characters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MW3iMsi204
Well that's infinitely more disturbing than a pseudodog, I suppose.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I still cant advance into Agroprom without crashing so I decided to explore Garbage and Cordon fully.

I went into some house by the train bridge and there was this freaky midget thing in there, shotgunned the hell out of it. What was that thing?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jesus loving christ. Why is he using a knife against that thing? Where is the lupara? Where are the grenades? WHERE IS THE PK?

bunnielab posted:

I went into some house by the train bridge and there was this freaky midget thing in there, shotgunned the hell out of it. What was that thing?

Yeah, I found it too. I had dropped my shotgun somewhere else, so I dug its eyes out with a knife. Still weird as poo poo.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 30, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Missing Name posted:

Yeah, I found it too. I had dropped my shotgun somewhere else, so I dug its eyes out with a knife. Still weird as poo poo.

Can you make it into Agroprom?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Missing Name posted:

Was this it? I encountered it in the first lab. It just stood there being very unsettling and then starting running around in circles being even more creepy. Then I blasted it full of buckshot, because gently caress whatever hell that thing crawled out of.

There's also this one.
http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Karlik

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That is a karlik. That other thing was the original burer concept. The burer that now exists was supposed to be their leader, I guess.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

Was this it? I encountered it in the first lab. It just stood there being very unsettling and then starting running around in circles being even more creepy. Then I blasted it full of buckshot, because gently caress whatever hell that thing crawled out of.

There's also this one.
http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Karlik

IIRC there was a post earlier in this thread (I don't remember by who) about some of the cut mutants, including this creepy bastard. I think it mentioned that those guys were supposed to be sneaking up on stalkers and killing them/stealing their stuff. Seems it was originally planned for them to worship human gear as part of some cultish behavior, which actually sounds pretty cool. So much cool content had to be cut from the original games :(

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nope gently caress that thing

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'll be impressed if your mod makes me actually have fun while playing Clear Sky, E.Nigma.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sounds awesome, this'll be the second wind I need to give CS another go.

A depressed and starved Soviet-era "Mockey Miuse" wanders the swamps of the present Ukraine while a six year old child sings gibberish into a karaoke-grade music editor.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Missing Name posted:

I came across it too, probably in the same house bunnielab did. It didn't attack, just ran up to me and started waving its hands like it was trying to shoo me away, so I just turned right around and left.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Monolith. posted:

I'll be impressed if your mod makes me actually have fun while playing Clear Sky, E.Nigma.
If you liked the CoP mod you should like this version.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Horns posted:

I came across it too, probably in the same house bunnielab did. It didn't attack, just ran up to me and started waving its hands like it was trying to shoo me away, so I just turned right around and left.

Yep, me too. Took one look at him and "nope", turned around and left. It was way too early in the game for me to know if I could take him or not with starting gear. Saw another one in X18 and put that leprechaun in the ground.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Do they ever actually attack? I played LA as soon as it was released and after the initial creep-out I realized it wasn't really... doing anything. So I killed it. Early glitch or actually supposed to be creepily peaceful?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Wandering around the Dark Valley, I finally ran into the poltergeists that don't have enough energy to be invisible. I saw some weird looking mutants fighting a boar, and upon further inspection it was four poltergeists slapping the poo poo out of that boar. They were mercilessly cut down. Really creepy to watch a creature without legs almost outrun you.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I finally got around to reinstalling SOC again for another go, immediatly felt seasick thanks to the crazy head bobbing. I gather I need to edit actor.ldx (for that and the normal height thing)but I can find Actor.ldx anywhere. It's a steam install so can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, man the modding communinty for this is more autistic than the Skyrim one..Name me a mod that has more flavour than the vanila game but doesn't require me to quit my job to dedicate time to installing it?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

SoylentCola posted:

Also, man the modding communinty for this is more autistic than the Skyrim one..Name me a mod that has more flavour than the vanila game but doesn't require me to quit my job to dedicate time to installing it?

Nearly all of them? OGSE, ZRP, Autumn Aurora. Most mods require you to create a gamedata folder to copy their files into and change fsgame.ltx to load from that folder. Sometimes you have to add some extra files, but then mods like that have installers usually, e.g. OGSE. Outside of SGM or maybe Stalkersoup, what mods are you trying to install that apparently take days of effort?

Edit: I guess if you're trying out Russian mods, some of them do require downgrading your game version and that's a pretty involved process, can be pretty frustrating. Big name mods, though?

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 30, 2014

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I was looking at Stalkersoup, but if you can suggest one that plays nice with the steam version and doesn't cripple it with realism that would be cool.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SoC just did a 1 mb update?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SoC just did a 1 mb update?

It's a multi-player patch that removes Gamespy and switches over to their own master servers, and also adds vsync.

http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=patches

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's a multi-player patch that removes Gamespy and switches over to their own master servers, and also adds vsync.

http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=patches

Is this going to completely break every mod?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
All of my mods seem to still work.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

E.Nigma posted:

If you liked the CoP mod you should like this version.

So far, I do. The FOV looks great, the gun models look great, it runs very smoothly despite being Clear Sky, and despite still having the faction wars I'm actually having fun. It's amazing what extra guns and gear and whatnot adds to a game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Reinstalled this to try out ZRP. Been a good while since the last time I played, and I was pleasantly surprised. Managed to get up to trying to sneak through the tunnel full of anomalies with little difficulty... and then got killed in the tunnel.

I hadn't saved.

Oh Stalker...

I've never actually made it through the tunnel before. I always murder the guards at the bridge. I've got a feeling it's going to happen again... soon...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I cannot advance in Lost Alpha and it is driving me crazy. I am at the point where I need to go talk to Mole but whenever I try to move areas to Agroprom the games locks up at the "Loading Shaders" part and I tab out to this:

I have tried dropping all my graphic values to the min and it still does it, anyone have an idea what the gently caress is going on?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Tried changing renders? Like down to static lighting?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
So, I have been playing Misery 2.1 on CoP for the past few days. At first I thought it was cool. Very dark, you have to pick you fights because you die in like 2-4 hits. Equipment degrades and you start with poo poo and have to work your way up.

Then, after a few missions it dawned on me. The game world isn't dog eat dog, die in 3 hits and you never have enough money to buy what you want. All that just applies to my character. Everything else is your typical race car sim where the NPC cars catch up with you 10 seconds after they crash into a river. I keep getting sniped from half way across the map by full-auto snipers who just happened to stop fighting a herd of 20 dogs, something that they have been doing for the last 20 minutes strait with no casualties on either side, in order to do a 180, shoot me in the face from 800 on full auto, and then turn back around are continue to miss hitting a dog that is 10 feet away. I am lucky I have a good enough machine to turn the render distance up enough to actually see what is killing me other wise the game would just roll calculations and literally not give me a chance to survive. Every mutant takes a mag of hits (not shots but actual hits) to kill, unless you are an NPC, and the market system is basically, vendor buys your stuff for 1% of what he sells it for. That, coupled with the high cost of repairs and your food/medicine requirement ensures that you never have enough money to stay fully repaired, fully healed/fed, and buy better equipment. You get to pick two and if you have a bad run then it's pick one.

It looks nice and sounds better compared to the original but the core manics are awful and suffers from "lazy programmer" syndrome where game mechanics are only applied to the player and the NPCs are effectively demigods by comparison.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 2, 2014

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Two Feet From Bread posted:

So, I have been playing Misery 2.1 on CoP for the past few days. At first I thought it was cool. Very dark, you have to pick you fights because you die in like 2-4 hits. Equipment degrades and you start with poo poo and have to work your way up.

Then, after a few missions it dawned on me. The game world isn't dog eat dog, die in 3 hits and you never have enough money to buy what you want. All that just applies to my character. Everything else is playing normal CoP. I keep getting sniped from half way across the map by full-auto snipers who just happened to stop fighting a herd of 20 dogs, something that they have been doing for the last 20 minutes strait with no casualties on either side, to turn completely around and shoot me in the face from 800 yards. I am lucky I have a good enough machine to turn the render distance up enough to actually see what is killing me other wise the game would just roll calculations and literally not give me a chance to live. Every mutant takes a mag of hits (not shots but actual hits) to kill and the market system is basically, we buy everything from you for 1% of the cost we would sell it to you. That way you NEVER have enough money to keep your current gear in its current degraded shape, let alone fix it so that you don't jam every 5 shots.

It looks nice and sounds better compared to the original but the core manics are awful and suffers from "lazy programmer" syndrome where game mechanics are only applied to the player and the NPCs are effectively demigods by comparison.

Very similar to my eventual reaction. I liked it at first, but it doesn't take long before the shine comes off. Or rust in this case, I guess.

The time I took out a pack of flesh and the last one I tried to loot was already rotted because I had to sit through the stupid skinning "animation" on every single one (which is really just the camera bobbing around and some bad sound effect playing), was the last straw for me.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Sounds like the mod filled you both with...MISERY

:frogc00l:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Saving up for my new computer is going glacially slow since now my sister decides she wants a guitar for her birthday in August so I've got to put money aside for that.

Misery would have been good if they stuck with the ambient overhaul rather than making everything lovely and terrible in every sense of the words.

It is really, really loving annoying how everything plays by a different ruleset than you do. I love hard games. Ninja Gaiden Black was my favorite Xbox game, I love spelunky and such and it's because they are hard but fair. Virtually nothing that happens is something that you can't play well enough to avoid. Spelunky in particular is great because the enemies and such use the exact same rules that you do. Traps kill them, they die from fall damage etc.

Misery takes the approach of if x is hard, then x x 1000 is harder! Balance!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Tried changing renders? Like down to static lighting?

Yep, I turned everything I could down to the min setting. The only thing I haven't played with is the resolution, you think that would do anything?

The game has been running fine at max levels through out Cordon and Garbage so idk what the hell is going on. V

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azran posted:

Considering I do not enjoy a lot of the most simulation-y stuff that you do in Misery (like having to buy a stove to cook your food, the insane amount of useless items, how hosed up the economy is) would I enjoy Misery 1.2? I never really played it so I don't know what's the difference, but if they made a 2.1 version it must mean the original one is really good?

Yes misery 1.2 is actually still well worth playing. I went back to it after version 2 pissed me off too much and had a good time. It can still be really frustrating but nothing on the level of misery 2.0.

I wish there was a mod that combined 2.0's graphics and atmosphere with actually playable gameplay. Getting killed in one shot from hitscan at 500 meters from enemies you can't even see (over and over again) is just not loving fun. It never has been and never will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Having a really weird issue here. I'm only using E.nigma's Arsenal Overhaul 2.2 for CoP. I did an entire playthrough with no issues; a patch downloaded the other day and now welp.

Already did a complete reinstall, and it would not actually start the game, even without mods. It would just sit forever in a loop of "Wait while Steam launches this game" messages appearing and disappearing.