Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Courthouse posted:

You know, if Russia is going to be as obvious as to give the separatists half decent man portable AA I really don't see why they can't just loving invade already. Stop being a loving tease, Putin. :v:

He's waiting for Ukraine to gently caress up and accidentally attack civilians in a way that will excuse a Blitzkrieg style push to Kiev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the dude is just a little irritated that people keep trying to dismiss him as some low-level Geek Squad IT flunky while also saying that he caused irreparable damage to our national security.

They did exactly this to Aldrich Ames to piss him off apparently. To this day there is a lot of back and forth on if he ever actually was important within the CIA. It's been long enough though that there has been a synthesis of these two ideas, and now his wikipedia entry describes a total drunken loser flunky who also had a lot of important assignments.

edit - which actually seems pretty believable.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

He's waiting for Ukraine to gently caress up and accidentally attack civilians in a way that will excuse a Blitzkrieg style push to Kiev

Would it make much of a difference internally or externally? Unless Kiev is intentionally targeting kindergartens no one in the west will accept annexation as legitimate anyway, Russians and near-russians will presumably support it regardless so long as they are winning. So who would give a poo poo about a few russian civilians up or down? Seems to me most reactions are made on realpolitikal grounds?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the dude is just a little irritated that people keep trying to dismiss him as some low-level Geek Squad IT flunky while also saying that he caused irreparable damage to our national security.
That's probably the case. Manning has FAS and managed to steal a bunch of poo poo, the system is just that incompetent.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Courthouse posted:

Would it make much of a difference internally or externally? Unless Kiev is intentionally targeting kindergartens no one in the west will accept annexation as legitimate anyway, Russians and near-russians will presumably support it regardless so long as they are winning. So who would give a poo poo about a few russian civilians up or down? Seems to me most reactions are made on realpolitikal grounds?

Because Putin is still aware that the US is going dormant, but not vegetative. He wants us out of his sphere of influence, and knows our current political situation in the US is far from permanent. So if he fucks up too hard, he could infact revitalize the US in to a more active role in Europe.

Putin plays a tough guy, but in reality he's a smart guy.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Gotta keep those misadventures in the developing world on the slow burn.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Best Friends posted:

They did exactly this to Aldrich Ames to piss him off apparently. To this day there is a lot of back and forth on if he ever actually was important within the CIA. It's been long enough though that there has been a synthesis of these two ideas, and now his wikipedia entry describes a total drunken loser flunky who also had a lot of important assignments.

edit - which actually seems pretty believable.

Years ago in GBS there was a thread where someone found a public database of security clearance request cases. No names or identifying information, just case numbers and summaries of the candidate and whether it was approved or rejected.

Turns out you can have quite a history of drugs or sex crimes, but debt or dual-citizenship is basically a deal breaker.

EDIT: If anyone knows which one I'm talking about, I'd love to explore it again, was hilarious.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 30, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Vernii posted:

EDIT: If anyone knows which one I'm talking about, I'd love to explore it again, was hilarious.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/2014.html

Some of that poo poo's as surprising as the 'Let's talk about idiots' thread

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Accretionist posted:

Applicant is a 62-year-old employee of a defense contractor. He is alleged to be indebted to nine creditors in the approximate amount of $243,062. He has acted responsibly with respect to his debts by resolving all of his delinquencies. Eligibility for access to classified information is granted. CASE NO: 11-12252.h1

:vince:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Applicant has used marijuana for 43 years, most recently in August 2013. He also intends to continue using marijuana. His request for a security clearance is denied. CASE NO: 12-07777.h1

what a loving champ.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Applicant is a 62-year-old employee of a defense contractor. He is alleged to be indebted to nine creditors in the approximate amount of $243,062. He has acted responsibly with respect to his debts by resolving all of his delinquencies. Eligibility for access to classified information is granted. CASE NO: 11-12252.h1

:vince:

Does that include his mortgage? Because if so then that's not that insane.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

go3 posted:

Applicant has used marijuana for 43 years, most recently in August 2013. He also intends to continue using marijuana. His request for a security clearance is denied. CASE NO: 12-07777.h1

what a loving champ.

The FBI is having problems hiring hackers because so many smoke weed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27499595

quote:

"I have to hire a great workforce to compete with those cybercriminals, and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview," the newspaper quoted him as saying at the White Collar Crime Institute's annual meeting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

E: you know what, never mind, I am just gonna link the PDF here for you to read, it's pretty :gonk:

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/13-00785.a1.pdf

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Did I miss the discussion of the presidents "chilly" reception at West Point? My FB feed is alive with mostly hilarious, but some scary comments about this.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

Applicant refuted allegations that she failed to provide proper contract oversight while acting as a contracting officer’s technical representative (COTR), and abused her position by attempting to hire a professional acquaintance as a federal employee, preselecting her for a supervisory position, hiring her at a higher rate of pay than authorized, and improperly assigning her as an executive assistant. Applicant also refuted allegations that she took advantage of an inappropriate personal relationship with her supervisor to gain a reassignment to a location near her home and to engage in excessive official travel. She mitigated instances of abusing her position by exhorting a potential contractor to hire her acquaintance, using government time and equipment to forward her acquaintance’s resume to the potential contractor, using a contractor employee to perform the duties of an executive assistant, and providing non-public information to a potential contractor. Clearance is granted. CASE NO: 11-15051.h1

:staredog:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Dantu posted:

Did I miss the discussion of the presidents "chilly" reception at West Point? My FB feed is alive with mostly hilarious, but some scary comments about this.

It's not on Fox News' site, and you know they'd be all over it. All they have is an opinion piece calling the speech "pointless". :downsrim:

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

orange juche posted:

E: you know what, never mind, I am just gonna link the PDF here for you to read, it's pretty :gonk:

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/13-00785.a1.pdf

could be worse

http://www.stripes.com/news/germany-based-army-officer-convicted-of-raping-three-daughters-1.285804

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: Yeah, I'm generally against the death penalty, but that's a clear case in which it should be used for a non-murder conviction.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

“He would tuck his daughters in at night, make them count to 60, and force them to meet him in the man cave where they would be raped and sodomized.”

“Finally, one day in December 2012 when the oldest daughter was sodomized so brutally that she believed she would die, she disclosed the abuse to her mother in church that same night,” stated an official Army post-trial report.

Never stop sodomizing that guy in prison, tia

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Worst part about the military is that assholes like him will never see a regular gen-pop prison where he can get whats coming to him.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

Nothing much there really. "Wars are bad and haven't really worked out for us, peace and diplomacy good." Copy/paste 'Obama weak, doesn't respect troops' discussion here.

DoktorLoken posted:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: Yeah, I'm generally against the death penalty, but that's a clear case in which it should be used for a non-murder conviction.

gently caress that, executions these days are way to humane and painless for this kind of person. The correct response is to parachute him in full uniform into wherever Caro ended up.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dantu posted:

LOL at the idea that the enthusiasm of West Point cadets is in any way a valid means of assessing something's value.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

West Point cadets are the literal welfare queens.
Just replace "get a loving job" with "get a real degree"

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
So that Shinseki guy got canned I guess hehe

Good IMO

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He's as out as gay service members after DADT. Also, gently caress berets.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

LOL at the idea that the enthusiasm of West Point cadets is in any way a valid means of assessing something's value.

It sounded like someone edited the audio StSanders style in the video I saw, to make it sound like only 10 people were clapping. The compared it to Dubya giving a speech there in what apparently was a crowd reaction like you'd see on the old Arsenio Hall Show.

ARE BOYS ONLY CLAP A LITTLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO, NOT BECAUSE THEY RESPECT HIM. HOW MUCH MORE UNTIL THEY STOP FOLLOWING ORDERS?

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Most of them are probably pissed they missed both an actual college experience and a deployment.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
All he really had to do was to wrap up with, "...and to compensate you for taking time out of your day, I'm authorizing a weekend pass for the entire Corps" and walk off the stage to a standing ovation.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

All he really had to do was to wrap up with, "...and to compensate you for taking time out of your day, I'm authorizing a weekend pass for the entire Corps" and walk off the stage to a standing ovation.

Gates has a great anecdote in his book where he went down to Camp Rudder to see some Ranger School students. One of his aides at the time had gone through the school and was like "hey sir, these guys are gonna be complete loving zombies, they aren't gonna remember anything you say...but they'll remember you forever if you bring them junk food."

So Gates gets up to speak and is like "before I get started, there's frozen snickers bars in these coolers in front of me. Come and get some and by the way, I'm ordering you to eat them now while I'm talking because I know if you don't you'll just get them taken away when your instructors come back in."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I failed the PT test at Ranger School, then a Captain told us we let our nation down and I drove back to my quarters.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Someone watched the speech at West Point and had never heard of the concept of a soldier before. "Look at how long he's spoken, and they just stand there, stone faced and silent! Why, they must despise him! They haven't cheered or clapped or given ONE standing ovation!" when in reality those kids are probably terrified that they'll sneeze while the president's talking and have been authorized applause at the end ONLY.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
American muslim extremists are going to the Middle East to blow people up. Alternative headline: "Florida man blows self up in wrong country".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Retard Boy Extraordinaire Bowe Bergdahl has been freed.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Hopefully we can find out everything about his captivity but more importantly what led to his capture(?).

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I bet that dude is going to be pissed when he sees the last season of LOST.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
So, when does the next season of Homeland start?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BaconAndBullets posted:

Hopefully we can find out everything about his captivity but more importantly what led to his capture(?).

I thought that he freaked out and decided to just walk the hell away from his base out into Afghanistan and got himself caught.

That actually reminds me of a pretty decent book by Tim O'Brien.

Going After Cacciato.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Zeroisanumber posted:

I thought that he freaked out and decided to just walk the hell away from his base out into Afghanistan and got himself caught.

That actually reminds me of a pretty decent book by Tim O'Brien.

Going After Cacciato.

The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers is another fantastic novel that feature a soldier who walks out of a base in Iraq. However, his fate is considerably worse as he ends up being tortured to death by the insurgents.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Good thing we hand out promotions instead of firing squads for desertion these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Someone watched the speech at West Point and had never heard of the concept of a soldier before. "Look at how long he's spoken, and they just stand there, stone faced and silent! Why, they must despise him! They haven't cheered or clapped or given ONE standing ovation!" when in reality those kids are probably terrified that they'll sneeze while the president's talking and have been authorized applause at the end ONLY.

No, it's just that the only thing in the world those kids want is to get there degree and commision, and get the gently caress out of there so they don't have to spend one more second at the academy. I can tell you from experience that there is nothing worse then having your graduation used as a policy speech.

• Locked thread