Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Anthony Davis and James Harden both have hosed up grills so it could be related to NBA success

With French "football" all-star Franck Ribery I might even argue that monster-faced-athletic-talent could be a truism that extends across all sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

Wasn't Saric rumored to be coming over in the 2012 and 2013 drafts before pulling out? It sounds like another Fran Vazquez situation. "Go ahead and draft me if you want but I'm doing just fine over here"

He would have been too young in 2012 but yeah he was expected to declare last year and didn't.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If he pulls out again he might as well not even bother flirting with declaring again because no one will draft him until after he's automatically entered

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Didn't he pull out last year because he couldn't get a guarantee in the lottery or something?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
How many times did Motiejunas pull out of the draft? I guess it was probably 2-3 times. And then he turned out real bad!

e: Now I'm looking through his draftexpress page

quote:

it's not a stretch to say that the 7-foot Lithuanian has blossomed into one of the best scoring big men in all of European basketball at the tender age of 20, and likely the most skilled power forward/center in the draft. Offensively, it's getting easier and easier to see where the comparisons with Pau Gasol are coming from.

Good times

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 30, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

chunkles posted:

How many times did Motiejunas pull out of the draft? I guess it was probably 2-3 times. And then he turned out real bad!

e: Now I'm looking through his draftexpress page

Good times

Donuts :(

Chris de Sperg posted:

Didn't he pull out last year because he couldn't get a guarantee in the lottery or something?

Nah. Dallas promised him at #13 and he still pulled out last year.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aipd_3kGfREgdHRtcThFd3ZtMlRPYldIRmdGb241RlE&usp=drive_web#gid=9

Has this been posted before? I don't even know what I'm reading, but I'm laughing my rear end off at the comps.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aipd_3kGfREgdHRtcThFd3ZtMlRPYldIRmdGb241RlE&usp=drive_web#gid=9

Has this been posted before? I don't even know what I'm reading, but I'm laughing my rear end off at the comps.

I love these. Smart is the #2 player on his board and his closest player comp is a guy who was out of the league in essentially two years.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
There's a bunch of player comp names that I don't recognize. :(

The guy on TheSportsBank has been pretty accurate over the past few years, so that's my go-to mock draft.

I like Spencer Dinwiddie in the 2nd round. Apart from a great mustache and name (and a torn ACL) is there anything else I should know about him ?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I love these. Smart is the #2 player on his board and his closest player comp is a guy who was out of the league in essentially two years.
Julius Randle = Leon Powe

I'll take the poo poo out of that with the #4 yessir

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Oo I like that and I like that they like Elfrid Payton because I like Elfrid Payton.

pylb posted:

There's a bunch of player comp names that I don't recognize. :(

Hah unless you've been working around the NBA for the last 20 years I shouldn't expect anyone would remember half of those guys http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garriki01.html

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 1, 2014

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Bucks taking Wiggins will be awesome, that team will have so few basketball skills. Imagine the Brandon Knight, Wiggins, Giannis, Larry Sanders, Henson unit. Wowwweeee, I want to be a Bucks fan. If Dumars gets the Pelicans job I'll have to root for three teams.

Cleveland's GM told a local writer that "JABARI HAS BEEN ON THE TOP OF OUR BOARD ALL YEAR LONG."

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 1, 2014

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

WEREWAIF posted:

The Bucks taking Wiggins will be awesome, that team will have so few basketball skills. Imagine the Brandon Knight, Wiggins, Giannis, Larry Sanders, Henson unit. Wowwweeee, I want to be a Bucks fan. If Dumars gets the Pelicans job I'll have to root for three teams.

Cleveland's GM told a local writer that "JABARI HAS BEEN ON THE TOP OF OUR BOARD ALL YEAR LONG."

Is Wiggins looked at as being just a physical freak with no actual basketball skills tho? I thought he was pretty skilled at alot of things, and the athleticism puts him over the top.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The draft express video on wiggins shows his skill weaknesses pretty well

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The B_36 posted:

Is Wiggins looked at as being just a physical freak with no actual basketball skills tho? I thought he was pretty skilled at alot of things, and the athleticism puts him over the top.

He's not a great dribbler, he's not a great passer, he's only sometimes a shooter. He'll probably learn everything, but it's going to be fun to see him like the shaky baby horse his first time around.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

WEREWAIF posted:

The Bucks taking Wiggins will be awesome, that team will have so few basketball skills. Imagine the Brandon Knight, Wiggins, Giannis, Larry Sanders, Henson unit.

Can you win games entirely on wingspan? That would have to be like the longest lineup ever

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Julius Hodge comp makes me extremely, extremely angry.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I wish I had my own dumb mock draft site so I could put down Len Bias as the best case scenario for Marshall Henderson, thanks for reading my post.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

Can you win games entirely on wingspan? That would have to be like the longest lineup ever

these guys are 22 feet plus Wiggins makes 29 Knight puts them a little over 35 and a half feet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

All the players in this draft are going to bust except for Russ Smith who is like a young Tim Hardaway but a second rounder anyway.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Asian Oprah posted:

these guys are 22 feet plus Wiggins makes 29 Knight puts them a little over 35 and a half feet

Hire a Boeheim assistant to teach this team the zone and bring us into a new dark age of defensive basketball. Do it Bucks I dare you.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

Can you win games entirely on wingspan?

The current Milwaukee Bucks and career of Anthony Randolph seem to strongly suggest no.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

If you add insane athletic ability and one guy who can a three yes

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

The current Milwaukee Bucks and career of Anthony Randolph seem to strongly suggest no.

Aw c'mon Larry played 20 games, was hungover for 15 of them and Nate Wolters started 31 games at PG for them as the year closed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Asian Oprah posted:

Aw c'mon Larry played 20 games, was hungover for 15 of them and Nate Wolters started 31 games at PG for them as the year closed.

Okay I guess go with last years bucks who were also bad?

Bruce Ivins
Aug 7, 2008

The Bucks posted pictures of players they are working out today...

right-handed Michael Redd?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I do not understand how people like Redd manage to shoot accurately, let alone be one of the league's best scorer for 6 years in a row.

How does that shooting mechanic even work.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Okay I guess go with last years bucks who were also bad?

Are you trying to tell me the Milwaukee Bucks Franchise existed BEFORE Giannis?? :wth:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

The Asian Oprah posted:

Are you trying to tell me the Milwaukee Bucks Franchise existed BEFORE Giannis?? :wth:

There is even a member of the Heat who was a member of the Bucks once. Scary, I know. :iiam:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento had a secret private don't let the local media know interview with Gordon today. I'd be totally down with him but the Kings never draft who I think they will so I better get ready to hear Saric's name

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Hire a Boeheim assistant to teach this team the zone and bring us into a new dark age of defensive basketball. Do it Bucks I dare you.

Form a human wall across the court at the midcourt line, opposing team can take a heave or get called for charging :devil: it's flawless

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento had a secret private don't let the local media know interview with Gordon today. I'd be totally down with him but the Kings never draft who I think they will so I better get ready to hear Saric's name

Are these interviews to be taken seriously? Cuz the Lakers seem to be working out and interviewing just about everyone, including Gordon.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Are these interviews to be taken seriously? Cuz the Lakers seem to be working out and interviewing just about everyone, including Gordon.

It's usually just teams doing due diligence and checking out anyone who might be available around the team's spot. After Gerald Wallace, Petrie vowed to never draft a player he never had a chance to interview/workout. He later broke this rule by drafting Thomas Robinson...drat it Petrie why couldn't you stick to your guns.

What is interesting is when teams work out players mocked way below their current pick, making you wonder if they are thinking of trading down or picking up someone else's pick

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Also, even if a team is 100% on who they want, they take the opportunity to talk to guys and get a sense for how other teams are acting and just to get a sense of who the other players are in this draft class. Also, like WhyteRyce mentioned, you never know who might offer you a deal and if you know players already you can make the best call.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Supposedly the Bucks board is Parker, Embiid then Wiggins but the source on that is a mediocre Bucks beat writer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wiggins to the Sixers holy poo poo. It is happening.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man Wiggins to the Sixers would be unbelievable.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

The Pistons under Dumars would almost never interview the guy they drafted, it depends on the team

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

It's happening Sixer fans. Have faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

Wiggins to the Sixers holy poo poo. It is happening.

"And with the third pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, the Philadelphia 76ers select..."

Wait, whats happening? Who's coming up on stage. BAH GOD, THATS EVAN TURNER'S MUSIC :vince:

:smith:

• Locked thread