Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I never got horribly frustrated at the combat just one or two battles were a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clandestine
May 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Gimme your email address, then. Artix got his finally.

I salute you, good sir.

EDIT: Got it. Thanks!

Genocyber posted:

The game is very rough but the gameplay is fine, mediocre at the absolute worst, and the dialogue and mid battle banter is fantastic. I'd much rather have a rough but unique game than something typical and competently done.

The dialogue is what stood out the most when I was watching people trek through the crazy on Twitch. The story isn't half as insane as Drakengard, nor half as mediocre as Drakengard 2, but I'll be damned if the banter isn't chuckle worthy. Of course, mileage may vary.

Clandestine fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 30, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The game is very rough but the gameplay is fine, mediocre at the absolute worst, and the dialogue and mid battle banter is fantastic. I'd much rather have a rough but unique game than something typical and competently done.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game isn't hard so much as it's just loving tedious. I never at any requests felt like the game was asking too much for me, just that it was constantly trying to spite me at every corner and I wasn't having any of it. It took me a few tries to beat the harder requests and even then the gimmick of those are simple to figure out.

It's not until the last boss I felt the game was being unreasonable while trying to spite me and at that point I had enough unbroken patience to soldier through it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'll pick this up tomorrow. About time I gave Yoko Taro some actual money instead of buying his games used.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So here's the uncensored version of the cutscene after the first boss fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUqQhzu7dWc

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Genocyber posted:

I agree that the dialogue throughout the stages is really good. All of the poor mortal guys you mulch throughout the course of the game basically all sound identical, so you get this jokey kind of vibe from hearing the same voices wailing incompetently time after time. They all sound like they came straight into Drakengard from an Earth Defence Force game, which just adds to the dorky charm.

I just wish, as mentioned earlier, so much of the plot wasn't crammed into DLC or light novels or whatever. The game really has a lot of charm despite all the rough edges. And you can actually kind of enjoy the gameplay, unlike Drakengard 1!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Luceid posted:

I agree that the dialogue throughout the stages is really good. All of the poor mortal guys you mulch throughout the course of the game basically all sound identical, so you get this jokey kind of vibe from hearing the same voices wailing incompetently time after time. They all sound like they came straight into Drakengard from an Earth Defence Force game, which just adds to the dorky charm.

I just wish, as mentioned earlier, so much of the plot wasn't crammed into DLC or light novels or whatever. The game really has a lot of charm despite all the rough edges. And you can actually kind of enjoy the gameplay, unlike Drakengard 1!

The aerial gameplay is inexcusable though. I mean, the air/ground hybrid is janky, but at least tolerable, but the actual air mission controls is abysmal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

everythingWasBees posted:

The aerial gameplay is inexcusable though. I mean, the air/ground hybrid is janky, but at least tolerable, but the actual air mission controls is abysmal.
Counterpoint: The air/ground boss fights all suck, while at least the aerial ones are easy.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Finally getting around to this game now that I've beaten Wolfenstein and Transistor. Just did verse 1 of chapter 3.

This game is incredibly stupid. Just the dumbest loving thing. I remain on the fence whether it's endearingly stupid or just plain stupid. I was expecting something a bit more like Nier or Drakengard in tone and not Kaine meets Let's Play Caim and goes fightin' 'round the world. I probably would have known that if I hadn't fled the thread when the game launched to avoid spoilers.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Counterpoint: The air/ground boss fights all suck, while at least the aerial ones are easy.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa you talking poo poo about the Ending C fight? That fight kicked all kinds of rear end.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flytrap posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa you talking poo poo about the Ending C fight? That fight kicked all kinds of rear end.

Until you bumped into every column in the room

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Squallege posted:

Man I'm talking about the on foot fight against One

That poo poo was awesome.

Clandestine
May 31, 2011

Squallege posted:

Bumped? I saw a video of Mikhail literally becoming part of the masonry. The collision in that boss fight is pretty drat crazy. Still a nifty fight.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean I'm obviously an idiot because I sat down and got all the endings with a dictionary to help translate parts I didn't understand but the dialogue grated at a lot of times for me.

Failboattootoot posted:

Finally getting around to this game now that I've beaten Wolfenstein and Transistor. Just did verse 1 of chapter 3.

This game is incredibly stupid. Just the dumbest loving thing. I remain on the fence whether it's endearingly stupid or just plain stupid. I was expecting something a bit more like Nier or Drakengard in tone and not Kaine meets Let's Play Caim and goes fightin' 'round the world. I probably would have known that if I hadn't fled the thread when the game launched to avoid spoilers.

Caim and Lynch: Dogfight Days.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flytrap posted:

Man I'm talking about the on foot fight against One

That poo poo was awesome.
Yeah, that poo poo was awesome. I meant, like, the end fight of Branch A. Or any of the other idiotic fights against Some Random Giant Idiot where you just had to dodge some poo poo and wait for a reticle and spam a button.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, that poo poo was awesome. I meant, like, the end fight of Branch A.

I just finished that fight, the credits are rolling, and can I just say fuuuuuuck that battle.
After 4-5 tries where I get completely destroyed, I finally figure out that they want me to use the GROUND triangle attack and win it with 90% health :suicide:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm finally playing through Nier, and it's depressing me. Not because I've gotten to any of the really heart-wrenching bits, but because the developers obviously cared a lot about this game, and it ended up playing so... okay-ish. I really wish they had a budget, because Nier deserves to be super fun to play. God, imagine if Yoko Taro directed a game developed by Platinum or something. That'd be the best.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Butt Ghost posted:

God, imagine if Yoko Taro directed a game developed by Platinum or something. That'd be the best.

Man don't remind me that we live in a world where this will never happen.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Sir Gladu posted:

I just finished that fight, the credits are rolling, and can I just say fuuuuuuck that battle.
After 4-5 tries where I get completely destroyed, I finally figure out that they want me to use the GROUND triangle attack and win it with 90% health :suicide:

So that's what I've been doing wrong!

(gently caress that battle)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You were supposed to shoot fireballs into his mouth.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
drat, I needs the moneys for Branch D. I still have so many weapons to buy. And they're all expensive!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just do it later, most of them kinda suck and if you can get the Demise spear to level 4 Desert Payday is way faster.

Speaking of Drakengard music as the thread was earlier, I think Two's theme is my favorite song in the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

You were supposed to shoot fireballs into his mouth.

That almost never worked for me. I ended up just finding out his simple pattern then running up and doing that fire breath attack. Always knocked him down for me. I don't know of any problems while fighting with Mikhail that can't be solved by fire breath.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Playing this game I realized something about hack'n'slash games, which is that they are only fun when they are easy. Mindlessly killing a million guys and throwing their bodies around while blood flies everywhere is the fun part. Actually having to worry about dodging anything and being knocked out of your rampage is just frustrating.

It's a good thing most enemies like that can be cut into a dozen pieces when they die, because you usually want to vent after being forced to come up with a strategy.

What I am saying is that if nothing else, the gameplay does get you into the mindset of the main character at least.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

That almost never worked for me. I ended up just finding out his simple pattern then running up and doing that fire breath attack. Always knocked him down for me. I don't know of any problems while fighting with Mikhail that can't be solved by fire breath.

Well that's what you were supposed to do and it's safer than going up to him and doing fire breath which is incredibly unsafe. I did that to him and it worked every time. It only takes three fireballs, and as long as it hits him while the reticle is up you should be fine. I don't know how people still don't figure this out when the aerial stage prior to it has you do the same thing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I actually found the fire breath safer, because he's locked in a direction once he starts charging and i can run to hit left and right and fire breath him. Also the moment your breath attack begins he gets stunned and you get extra damage in with the fire breath and get to prep another. The only unsafe attack against him is doing a flying charge which always cause Mik to freak out and fly into the ceiling letting him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BioMe posted:

Playing this game I realized something about hack'n'slash games, which is that they are only fun when they are easy. Mindlessly killing a million guys and throwing their bodies around while blood flies everywhere is the fun part. Actually having to worry about dodging anything and being knocked out of your rampage is just frustrating.

It's a good thing most enemies like that can be cut into a dozen pieces when they die, because you usually want to vent after being forced to come up with a strategy.

What I am saying is that if nothing else, the gameplay does get you into the mindset of the main character at least.

Zero strikes me as just being ambivalent as opposed to enjoying it ala Caim.

You should try Metal Gear Rising, though, an actual good action game.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Zero strikes me as just being ambivalent as opposed to enjoying it ala Caim.

You should try Metal Gear Rising, though, an actual good action game.

Really? You missed how much she loves killing? How? Half her dialogue is about her venting by killing every person in sight. Like are you somehow confused by that not being her only personality trait or what?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

BioMe posted:

Really? You missed how much she loves killing? How? Half her dialogue is about her venting by killing every person in sight. Like are you somehow confused by that not being her only personality trait or what?

Doesn't she describe it as a pain in the rear end? At the start, at least.

Failboattootoot posted:

Kaine meets Let's Play Caim and goes fightin' 'round the world

I can understand being annoyed at the tone but I'd be lying if I said that didn't sound awesome as well.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Kaislioc posted:

Doesn't she describe it as a pain in the rear end? At the start, at least.

She is pissed off at everything and wants to kill it, yes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BioMe posted:

I quit paying attention when the dialogue started repeating itself until the ending when she claimed it was nothing personal. I think awhile back I might have said otherwise but my opinion on Drakengard is pretty circular.

Actually, in Drakengard 1, 2 and 3 I can remember maybe.. Two or three lines of dialogue? It's not terribly memorable.

The comparison here is also Caim. Zero also is (as of Drakengard 3) technically doing it for a good reason.

E: Ending spoiler:

There's the bit with Mikhail saying "It was a lot of fun, even if we killed a lot of people. That was painful... Really, really painful." and Zero's response about not repeating himself could be taken either as just a callback to her saying it to him before, or meaning that she doesn't really want to think about it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 30, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It doesn't sound like she enjoys it. More like she'd rather not have to put in the effort of killing all those soldiers to get to her sisters. She'd prefer her sisters just line up so she could kill them and be done. Dito now obviously enjoys it. Dito is Caim.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At the start Zero says she likes it, but after a while it becomes very obvious she's lying and it's the only thing she knows how to do rather than her actually enjoying it. Dito is the one who enjoys MDKs and he's like a more annoying Caim.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Seriously people? She might enjoy it in a more aggressive and cathartic sense, but how do you you miss that she still does?

"We should at least spare the fleeing enemies, there's no point killing them"
"gently caress. NO."

etc.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BioMe posted:

Seriously people? She might enjoy it in a more aggressive and cathartic sense, but how do you you miss that she still does?

I have no idea how you're getting so worked up over this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I have no idea how you're getting so worked up over this.

Projection. :haw:

BioMe posted:

"gently caress. NO."

etc.

I won't say that never happened but are you sure you're not thinking of Four's DLC which is about how she's really just as bad as the non-Two sisters?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BioMe posted:

"gently caress. NO."

etc.

She explicitly states that she doesn't, and frequently expresses her frustration with having to kill people? She's also yelling constantly at soldiers to just get out of her way so she doesn't have to kill them? She kills people because they're between her and her goals, and in order to protect herself, not out of enjoyment.

She's basically a scared little kid who doesn't know how to deal with situations besides violence.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like yeah, she's really catty about her wanton murder, but even Dito's sadism creeps her out a bit. The "HEY DUMMY" proof is at the end of the game when Mikhail says "The Killing was really hard" and she agrees with him in a regretful tone that it had to come to all of this. This is not some well hidden secret here.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Projection. :haw:

I won't say that never happened but are you sure you're not thinking of Four's DLC which is about how she's really just as bad as the non-Two sisters?

Because it's really dumb. But point taken. You really don't remember the script too well though, do you?

everythingWasBees posted:

She explicitly states that she doesn't, and frequently expresses her frustration with having to kill people? She's also yelling constantly at soldiers to just get out of her way so she doesn't have to kill them? She kills people because they're between her and her goals, and in order to protect herself, not out of enjoyment.

She's frustrated because they are slowing her down and then she vents by murdering everyone. Cathartic enjoyment.

quote:

She's basically a scared little kid who doesn't know how to deal with situations besides violence.

The story is about her being suicidal and running amok, rather than being her being unable deal with relatively mundane emotional challenges. Because if you think about it there's not a whole lot emotional duress for her in the story other than that murder-suicide thing.

Beef Waifu posted:

Like yeah, she's really catty about her wanton murder, but even Dito's sadism creeps her out a bit. The "HEY DUMMY" proof is at the end of the game when Mikhail says "The Killing was really hard" and she agrees with him in a regretful tone that it had to come to all of this. This is not some well hidden secret here.

Yet there's plenty same kind proof of her loving that poo poo, including the plain exposition that comes with her sword's story. The conclusions she comes to at the very end isn't the same things she believes throughout.

• Locked thread