Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

xamphear posted:

This is an availability heuristic. It's not that these addons are more problematic, per se, it's just that are hugely popular. So, of course they are going to turn up most often when people post issues in a forum. It doesn't mean that they are inherently worse for your browsing experience than smaller ones, in fact they might even be marginally better given their larger install base and programming effort.

You're making assumptions here that aren't really true, if you look at the posts by the Chrome dev he explains exactly why those addons cause the problems he's talking about. He's not just saying "most of the problems we see involve users with these addons".

Did anything come of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Read posted:

Did anything come of this?
Nothing other than it getting debunked.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Rastor posted:

Even if you don't believe Google, you can believe all zero people that are complaining about getting screwed, since it would have been massively obvious if you were a site owner that got screwed by this.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Rastor posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. Thank you!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is there a way to show a list of all tabs that have active plugins?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Install Windows posted:

IF you really believed no one was going to use DRM in online video in the future, I don't know what to say.

I don't mind, this poo poo will be cracked a week after it's distributed leading to a bottomless source of HD movies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there anyway to edit the places.sqlite file outside of Firefox? I'm trying to remove several thousand spurious history entries for a site but don't want to remove all history for the site, and the history viewer in Firefox itself grinds to a halt doing it.

I tried using SQlite Database Browser 2.0b1 but it doesn't load anything, possibly because the file is too big.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I've done it before with the sqlite3 command line tool and Sqliteman.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Install Windows posted:

Is there anyway to edit the places.sqlite file outside of Firefox? I'm trying to remove several thousand spurious history entries for a site but don't want to remove all history for the site, and the history viewer in Firefox itself grinds to a halt doing it.

I tried using SQlite Database Browser 2.0b1 but it doesn't load anything, possibly because the file is too big.

I'm a fan of SQLite Expert for Windows. sqlite3 command on every other OS.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Dark One posted:

Mozilla is going to pay Adobe to be able to plop a
At least that Google money is going to a reputable company that cares about users.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Have the forums been weird for anyone else over the last few days with the newest Firefox?

Stuff like the reply/post buttons being in the wrong place, the vote-thread images being just numbers in a vertical line for some reason, the tags filter being displayed instead of hidden by default, the usual quote boxes just being a couple of lines above and below, and really everything being really close together and weird like there's a problem with table margins somewhere or the pages aren't loading properly.

Everything's fine in Chrome but I still like Firefox more, just wondering if this is just me.

VVV Just me I guess, cheers man.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 21, 2014

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I haven't noticed anything off on mine. running 30.0 beta on latest version of OSX

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
The new favorite button is so terrible. You can't even tell what you're favoriting or where you're favoriting it to.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

anne frank fanfic posted:

The new favorite button is so terrible. You can't even tell what you're favoriting or where you're favoriting it to.

My biggest gripe is that I can't separate the two halves of it. I have the favorite button in the upper left corner of my window, so now I sometimes accidentally favorite a page out of habit.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

rarbatrol posted:

My biggest gripe is that I can't separate the two halves of it. I have the favorite button in the upper left corner of my window, so now I sometimes accidentally favorite a page out of habit.
Pretty much this, yeah. I favorite something about a hundredth as often as I open the favorites menu, and I used to keep them on opposite sides of the screen since it's way to easy to accidentally click the drat thing when trying to open the menu. I can see why they bundled them together like that sure, but removing the option was annoying as hell.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
It's just a terrible choice. I still don't know how to favorite a website without adding it to the unsorted category and then manually moving it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

It's just a terrible choice. I still don't know how to favorite a website without adding it to the unsorted category and then manually moving it.

You're aware that you can just click the star again and it pops up a little box to customize the bookmark, right? It's not clear if that's what you're already doing or not.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

You're aware that you can just click the star again and it pops up a little box to customize the bookmark, right? It's not clear if that's what you're already doing or not.

Thanks, but that seems dumb. Oh well

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Thanks, but that seems dumb. Oh well

It's been this way for a few years, so I'm not sure why you just noticed it. Maybe there was an old pref that changed the behavior...?

(You can also get the popup immediately by hitting Ctrl+D.)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Avenging Dentist posted:

Thanks for this, recently migrating from Chrome I'm still figuring out all the shortcuts. Been doing the double click for a while but CTRL-D is much more useful

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've always just dragged the tabs to where I wanted them to go. Seemed like less hassle than loving about with the favourites button :shrug:

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's been this way for a few years, so I'm not sure why you just noticed it. Maybe there was an old pref that changed the behavior...?

I never knew this either but its cool that all the hidden features are just assumed to be known by every user.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

AllanGordon posted:

I never knew this either but its cool that all the hidden features are just assumed to be known by every user.

First result from Google for "firefox how to bookmark": https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-bookmarks-to-save-and-organize-websites

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
drat bet you googled how to be a oval office too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There was a time when you had to go into a menu to add a bookmark, so people would see the 1997-vintage shortcut key for it.

Now, finding the search bar shortcut was less common...

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
This may or may not be a firefox issue: But why is it that I can't permanently disable youtube annotations? I've gone into settings and every time it either doesn't remember it and reverts or goes ahead and shows annotations anyway.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

This may or may not be a firefox issue: But why is it that I can't permanently disable youtube annotations? I've gone into settings and every time it either doesn't remember it and reverts or goes ahead and shows annotations anyway.

Not sure, but I think the yousable (usable?) youtube extension (greasemonkey script?) lets you do that, along with plenty of other handy things like turning off comments, defaulting to higher quality while only mildly or occasionally totally breaking your youtube experience.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Someone here recommended me YouTube Center a while back and it's been nothing short of excellent.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any chance of a compatible SA extension with a more recent release, or are those efforts pretty much over for now?

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Eonwe posted:

Any chance of a compatible SA extension with a more recent release, or are those efforts pretty much over for now?
What do you mean? SALR works fine on the current versions of Firefox/Aurora.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Disgustipated posted:

What do you mean? SALR works fine on the current versions of Firefox/Aurora.

Oh, for some reason it gave me an error message. I'll try it again.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Eonwe posted:

Oh, for some reason it gave me an error message. I'll try it again.
Make sure you're running the latest version. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2571027&pagenumber=89#post426730360

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
All of the sudden firefox is saving tabs upon closing and re-opening them when I re-start the browser. What gives?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Someone here recommended me YouTube Center a while back and it's been nothing short of excellent.

Doesn't it add ads? Something was doing it and when I installed YTC they went away. Otherwise, as you say, it's great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've got adblock and NoScript and haven't seen ads on youtube for years. So I can't say if it does or not.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

All of the sudden firefox is saving tabs upon closing and re-opening them when I re-start the browser. What gives?

You can change that in the options under the General tab (look at "When Firefox starts" under Startup).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What are the actual steps for syncing my tabs to a mobile device? It's happened seemingly entirely on it's own a few times but when, say, I'm reading something on my desktop then need to leave and want to take them with me on my mobile, using Sync Now doesn't do squat. This is going from desktop to a Nexus 4. Is Chrome just better for that kind of thing?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This might be more of a general question but... Anyone have an idea on how to control scrolling the webpage based on a more variable input?

I've been enjoying using a PS3 controller over bluetooth paired to my PC for light browsing from my couch. I'm sure there's a more functional solution out there but it works quite well- at least compared to using my phone's lovely touchscreen mouse app, if anyone has a similar setup do yourself a favor and try the controller instead.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make scrolling take advantage of the controller's variable inputs on the joystick. I have mouse wheel up/down bound to one of them but it's quite clunky and a handful of smooth scrolling apps I just tried all didn't feel right. They were smoother obviously but it's still not really progressive enough. The other d-pad moves the mouse pointer all gracefully smoothly and it's great. Any ideas?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Is there a way to make FF antialias text? I have cleartype/antialiasing disabled on Windows because I think it looks awful. Chrome and IE have their own antialiasing.

It's becoming a greater annoyance as more and more websites use those google fonts that looks completely whack without antialiasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Has anyone found any workarounds for the Text Inflation bug for FF on Android?

I've tried changing font sizes and tweaking some about :config settings, but no dice.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=707195

This happens when I browse the SA Forums as well as some other forums. Using Nexus 4, 4.4.3 with FF 29.0.1.