Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
evilreaver-mod-ideas.txt - excerpt
Fusion would have to be astoundingly expensive (eclipsing the Rocket Defense cost), but is the end-game power source, so even at 50-75MW output it isn't single-handedly powering your base. It requires massive startup power in order to kickstart the reaction (and to restart it any time it needs to be restarted), so you power it via a Nuclear reactor or whatever.

Nuclear requires Uranium that is cracked from coal or stone in very small amounts (more from stone than coal) requiring lots of polluting mines and power before it can be started. A 'nuclear plant' is basically a multi-structure building that has the reactor core (uranium+water = superheated water+depleted U), the dynamo (superheated = power+steam), the towers (exhausts steam at a set rate), and as many breeders as you can fit (using uranium and power, cuts uranium use in the reactor for a small net benefit- less power-per-second, more total power-per-uranium).

Uranium is cracked (stone/coal + power = U), then enriched (U + power = Enriched U). Depleted Uranium can be used for bullets or Heavy Walls (an improvement over Steel Walls, an improvement over Stone Walls). Breeders, Crackers and Enrichers pollute.

Fusion is a multi-structure too- with an enricher (water + power = deuterium), magnetosphere (deuterium = *power*) and capacitor (basically a hugeass accumulator). You want at least 3 enrichers together to keep the deuterium flowing, and you need 1GJ in your capacitors/accumulators in order to run the magnetosphere- it of course puts out enough to charge itself with lots extra to spare. Unless the supply is interrupted (like a biter breaking a pipe, or laser turrets draining power enough to put you under the margin), of course, which might suddenly put you at a huge energy deficit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Evilreaver posted:

Fusion would have to be astoundingly expensive (eclipsing the Rocket Defense cost), but is the end-game power source, so even at 50-75MW output it isn't single-handedly powering your base. It requires massive startup power in order to kickstart the reaction (and to restart it any time it needs to be restarted), so you power it via a Nuclear reactor or whatever.

Nuclear requires Uranium that is cracked from coal or stone in very small amounts (more from stone than coal) requiring lots of polluting mines and power before it can be started. A 'nuclear plant' is basically a multi-structure building that has the reactor core (uranium+water = superheated water+depleted U), the dynamo (superheated = power+steam), the towers (exhausts steam at a set rate), and as many breeders as you can fit (using uranium and power, cuts uranium use in the reactor for a small net benefit- less power-per-second, more total power-per-uranium).

Uranium is cracked (stone/coal + power = U), then enriched (U + power = Enriched U). Depleted Uranium can be used for bullets or Heavy Walls (an improvement over Steel Walls, an improvement over Stone Walls). Breeders, Crackers and Enrichers pollute.

Fusion is a multi-structure too- with an enricher (water + power = deuterium), magnetosphere (deuterium = *power*) and capacitor (basically a hugeass accumulator). You want at least 3 enrichers together to keep the deuterium flowing, and you need 1GJ in your capacitors/accumulators in order to run the magnetosphere- it of course puts out enough to charge itself with lots extra to spare. Unless the supply is interrupted (like a biter breaking a pipe, or laser turrets draining power enough to put you under the margin), of course, which might suddenly put you at a huge energy deficit.

I love all of these.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Oh man people talk about spergy games but this is something else! Played through the furst 3 levels and I'm already in sperg heaven.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When I describe this to friends I just call it an autism simulator.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FISHMANPET posted:

When I describe this to friends I just call it an autism simulator.

I told people that you are on a planet trying to oppress the indigenous lifeforms while building your hate-empire. So I call it an oppression simulator.

I'm okay with that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LordSaturn posted:

Also, if they destroy it, it should gently caress poo poo up really bad in an enormous radius.

Oh no, the tokamak has been breached! *5 grams of hydrogen farts out, catches fire*

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What, have you never played a video game before? If the reactor goes down, poo poo explodes, to punish you for letting your reactor go down. It's not complicated.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

LordSaturn posted:

What, have you never played a video game before? If the reactor goes down, poo poo explodes, to punish you for letting your reactor go down. It's not complicated.

Or, you make it a fission reaction instead of fusion.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fission isn't even explosive in power-plant configurations anyway. At worst, it gets hot and radioactive, which are two things that can't really be simulated in the game as current other than "Pollution += #BWOAHSHIT"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

Fission isn't even explosive in power-plant configurations anyway. At worst, it gets hot and radioactive, which are two things that can't really be simulated in the game as current other than "Pollution += #BWOAHSHIT"

It can cause a pretty good steam explosion.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Evilreaver posted:

Interesting ideas, especially the multi-structure one. I think it'd be interesting to change how water works in the game, so that it's a slowly replenishing resource, rather than totally infinite. Make fusion require water cooling and have fusion require an absurd amount of water. Maybe hot water pipes/ fusion attracts worms?

Evilreaver posted:

1. Fission isn't fusion
2. Fusion isn't even really fusion
3. I am perfectly willing to accept SCIFI FUSION EXPLOSIONS as a tradeoff

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm a little disappointed that when a biter wrecks one of my accumulators it doesn't a) explode and b) spew sulfuric acid everywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Power armor mk 2 is, well, powerful. :stare:

It’s like I stopped playing Minecraft and started playing Crysis, with both Maximum Armor and Maximum Speed permanently activated.

Goodbye, car.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If only you could have your automated lasers target trees around you it would be the best "gently caress THE PLANET" armour ever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I dunno, big biters are just so strong my power armor setup (7 lasers, 2 fusion, 2 exo, 2 batteries) can't really take them out even with the piercing shells in the combat shotgun. I end up having to bum rush no more than 3 biter nests at a time and murder them down before the big biters spawn to eat me. I end up having to avoid any more than 3 nest clutches.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Bhodi posted:

I dunno, big biters are just so strong my power armor setup (7 lasers, 2 fusion, 2 exo, 2 batteries) can't really take them out even with the piercing shells in the combat shotgun. I end up having to bum rush no more than 3 biter nests at a time and murder them down before the big biters spawn to eat me. I end up having to avoid any more than 3 nest clutches.

Its a much better idea to go full tank with just as much speed as you need to out run a biter. Use poison caps to kill worms and just run around in circles taking snap shots at the spawners. Once the nets are dead just run the biter conga line you built up into your base defenses.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I take hundreds of defender bots with me to attack nests, and basically just run in drop them next to the spawners, then run away and shotgut all the biters that are chasing me while the defender bots take down the spawners.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my circular assembly lines are non-stop producing everything I need. So now I am starting logistics bots and I can start building my evil empire.

Here is the sad thing:

Because I was afraid of monsters, I started the game on really small enemies and on peaceful, so I have yet to see any eco-terrorists.

How do I make the environment mad? Do I just have to drive my car super far away from my starting location?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So my circular assembly lines are non-stop producing everything I need. So now I am starting logistics bots and I can start building my evil empire.

Here is the sad thing:

Because I was afraid of monsters, I started the game on really small enemies and on peaceful, so I have yet to see any eco-terrorists.

How do I make the environment mad? Do I just have to drive my car super far away from my starting location?

Turn off peaceful. Otherwise biters will only attack you if you gently caress with their nest and only that one nest will aggro.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Shintaro posted:

If you just want to build carefree without actually invoking the godmode of the sandbox scenario, you may want to use one or more of:
code:
game.alwaysday=true
game.peacefulmode=true
game.evolutionfactor=0
which do pretty much exactly what you'd think they do (evolution factor will still increase over time).

Based of Shintaro's research, if you want Biters from hell, change that to
code:
game.peacefulmode=false
game.evolutionfactor=100

VenusInFurries
Apr 12, 2014

<3 tsalaroth

sloshmonger posted:

Based of Shintaro's research, if you want Biters from hell, change that to
code:
game.peacefulmode=false
game.evolutionfactor=100

I would not recommend setting it to 100, given that 100% in the files is 1, it might just break the game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

VenusInFurries posted:

I would not recommend setting it to 100, given that 100% in the files is 1, it might just break the game.

At 100 the biters start crawling out of your monitor.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Sage Grimm posted:

If only you could have your automated lasers target trees around you it would be the best "gently caress THE PLANET" armour ever.

I think we need to see if we can mod trees so the game considers them enemies, and lasers and drones will target them.

Edit: Using this diagram: http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Fff-18-entity-graph.jpg

Trees are a subclass of EntityWithHealth. Biters are part of the Unit class, which is also a subclass of EntitywithHealth. Makes sense, you can damage both.

I'm assuming for now that the game considers all Unit class entities hostile. Digging around the wiki, I haven't found a specific hostility flag yet. There's a "targetable" on the left of the diagram but the wiki doesn't contain that word anywhere.

Edit2: Been changing the game files, trees are now of subgroup "enemies" instead of trees. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 30, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Stick Insect posted:

I'm assuming for now that the game considers all Unit class entities hostile. Digging around the wiki, I haven't found a specific hostility flag yet. There's a "targetable" on the left of the diagram but the wiki doesn't contain that word anywhere.

Entities have a Force, which is "player","enemy", or "neutral"

Presumably this will be expanded with multiplayer.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hagop posted:

Turn off peaceful. Otherwise biters will only attack you if you gently caress with their nest and only that one nest will aggro.

So how do I retroactively turn off peaceful?

Can I load my save into the map editor or something and then load it as a save-game or whatnot?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

I think we need to see if we can mod trees so the game considers them enemies, and lasers and drones will target them.

Edit: Using this diagram: http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Fff-18-entity-graph.jpg

Trees are a subclass of EntityWithHealth. Biters are part of the Unit class, which is also a subclass of EntitywithHealth. Makes sense, you can damage both.

I foresee this ending with you turning all trees into biters.

So how do I retroactively turn off peaceful?

Can I load my save into the map editor or something and then load it as a save-game or whatnot?

game.peacefulmode=false in console

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Evolution factor is between 0 and 1 (it rises asymptotically) and controls at least the following:

• Biter spawn rate
  • Existence and frequency of medium and big biters (this is also influenced by distance from the start point)
  • Settling party size (which presumably influences the size and perhaps contents of a new base)

Evolution factor also may influence biter attack party size.

Peaceful mode, as I understand it, means biters won't form attack parties due to pollution and thus attacks will only occur when you get close enough to bother them. In "nonpeaceful" mode, I don't think biters will send random attacks if untouched by pollution; I don't know though (nor do I know if they send settling parties in peaceful mode).

In other news, I was watching a Twitch stream today and somebody claiming to be a dev (which seemed legit, but, you know, whatever) said they were working on the final bugfixes for release 10.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Shintaro posted:

Evolution factor is between 0 and 1 (it rises asymptotically) and controls at least the following:

• Biter spawn rate
  • Existence and frequency of medium and big biters (this is also influenced by distance from the start point)
  • Settling party size (which presumably influences the size and perhaps contents of a new base)

Evolution factor also may influence biter attack party size.

Peaceful mode, as I understand it, means biters won't form attack parties due to pollution and thus attacks will only occur when you get close enough to bother them. In "nonpeaceful" mode, I don't think biters will send random attacks if untouched by pollution; I don't know though (nor do I know if they send settling parties in peaceful mode).

In other news, I was watching a Twitch stream today and somebody claiming to be a dev (which seemed legit, but, you know, whatever) said they were working on the final bugfixes for release 10.
They made a blog post saying they plan a new patch release next week.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sounds feasible, considering that their roadmap has them coming out with .10 by the end of this month. The roadmap doesn't mention any particularly compelling new features for 0.10 though. 0.11 sounds more interesting, with multiplayer and endgame content.

As a side note, the price of the game is increasing 38 hours from now. If you are interested, it is a good time to get in. The basic transport belt repair man level is fine.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Shintaro posted:

Entities have a Force, which is "player","enemy", or "neutral"

Presumably this will be expanded with multiplayer.

Thanks, having a go at this. :black101:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Oh my god, this game, I am all about this game. I've wanted this game to exist since I was I don't know 13 or so. It's like exactly what I always wanted... OpenTTD but you can work inside the factories and built in tower-defence. It's like Harvest on crack (and I loved that game to bits).

Now if they just add a spaceship building simulator to I'm loving set for life gaming wisely.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hagop posted:

I foresee this ending with you turning all trees into biters.

game.peacefulmode=false in console

Okay, I like this. So I can build my fortress of solitude and then scream "let them come" and flip poo poo on?

Because I have like, 800 wall peices already in a couple of chests, and I am auto-making more. i want to build wall and laser towers and a poo poo-ton of power for them.

Also, someone needs to make me some fusion. I need more power at night. This bullshit keeps turning off even with my 25 accumulators.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Okay, I like this. So I can build my fortress of solitude and then scream "let them come" and flip poo poo on?

Because I have like, 800 wall peices already in a couple of chests, and I am auto-making more. i want to build wall and laser towers and a poo poo-ton of power for them.

Also, someone needs to make me some fusion. I need more power at night. This bullshit keeps turning off even with my 25 accumulators.

25? Ahahahaheaheahehaeh

Yeah even my relatively small factory has about 400 to last through the night, assuming I only get 1-2 waves of biters.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 30, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Skyl3lazer posted:

25? Ahahahaheaheahehaeh

Yeah even my relatively small factory has about 400 to last through the night, assuming I only get 1-2 waves of biters.

Only 1 or 2 waves? They get splattered by my mighty minefield :black101:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

First off, lol @ 25
Second off, I'd make that nuclear/fusion setup I wrote up if I had someone to make passable graphics with me. Seems like a fun weekend project, but I'd be using Rocket Defense sprites if I did it myself, and that makes me sad. If anyone is interested, PM me or something, I guess.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Rule of thumb: have one accumulator for every solar panel, plus another three for every big biter you want to be able to handle.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

gently caress that.

Rule of thumb: Chop down all the trees and mine all the coal to FEED THE FORGES.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Skyl3lazer posted:

25? Ahahahaheaheahehaeh

How'd you make this screenshot?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shintaro posted:

Rule of thumb: have one accumulator for every solar panel, plus another three for every big biter you want to be able to handle.

So wait a second. What if I want to put a laser guard tower every...say...10 squares...is that too many?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

So wait a second. What if I want to put a laser guard tower every...say...10 squares...is that too many?

I'd say it's way too few. I'd have a group of 4 or so every 30 squares; along a known route, even more.