Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which heat scrub is gonna blow up for 15+ points tonight? check all that applies
This poll is closed.
james jones 11 11.83%
toney douglas 9 9.68%
lebron james 30 32.26%
greg oden 28 30.11%
none of the above 15 16.13%
Total: 52 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

SeannieDarko posted:

That's PantsFreeZone posting from the locker room.

has Kabz been around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bashez posted:

The only good series was Toronto and Brooklyn.

Oh..yeah. I guess I just thought all of the Pacers series were entertaining in a really funny way since they played a good range of top-to-bottom games :blush:

strifetoe
Nov 27, 2007
I must admit, the most amazing thing about twitter is getting opinions and thoughts from 'celebrities' as soon as they happen.

Here's Bill Simmons on Twitter, posting I can only assume in between halftimes / postgame.

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons · 2h
Lance is a jackass. Throw him out. This was coming for 2 games.

Refs have allowed Lance to behave like a total jackass for 2 games. Funny the NBA cares so much about hard fouls, but this crap is fine.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

strifetoe posted:

I must admit, the most amazing thing about twitter is getting opinions and thoughts from 'celebrities' as soon as they happen.

Here's Bill Simmons on Twitter, posting I can only assume in between halftimes / postgame.

Lance is a jackass. Throw him out. This was coming for 2 games.

Refs have allowed Lance to behave like a total jackass for 2 games. Funny the NBA cares so much about hard fouls, but this crap is fine.

That gonna get him censored from ESPN again? edit: for the ref thing more likely

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Simmons also called him an rear end at halftime

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

GobiasIndustries posted:

That gonna get him censored from ESPN again? edit: for the ref thing more likely

no???

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

PantsFreeZone posted:

Skip Bayless is a retard. He's screaming about Dallas being able to win the East right now.

They'd have a decent shot at it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This year's Dallas team was Not Good and the Heat would have ran them out of the gym in 5 games max.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

They've censored him from twitter before.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bashez posted:

They'd have a decent shot at it.

Nah.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

GobiasIndustries posted:

They've censored him from twitter before.

it's more like they put him on time out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Super Jay Mann posted:

This year's Dallas team was Not Good and the Heat would have ran them out of the gym in 5 games max.

Unless they are significantly better than the spurs (which they aren't) I don't think so.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Twat McTwatterson posted:

has Kabz been around?

No thank god

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

CharlestheHammer posted:

Unless they are significantly better than the spurs (which they aren't) I don't think so.

It's not like some DBZ power levels it's about match ups.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm still puzzled at that series because the Spurs are really good and they really should have waltzed past them without issue.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm still puzzled at that series because the Spurs are really good and they really should have waltzed past them without issue.

Carlisle is a great coach and the Mavericks have a lot of very good players.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bashez posted:

Looking back now.

The eastern conference playoffs were terrible.

There were only two good teams and one of those good teams was playing such bad basketball they wouldn't have even made the playoffs if they'd played that way all year.

The Heat just won the eastern conference and haven't played a team playing above average ball.

Do they try to "fix" the playoffs in the offseason?

Force the Lakers to rehire D'Antoni and give the Lakers an automatic bid to the Eastern playoffs and let them use their ability to turn any opposing team into a 120+ scoring team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
stop reading or listening to skip bayless and especially stop posting about him jesus motherfucking christ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vire posted:

I would like to hear these matchups.

A lot of the time I think that is used as a buzzword, though it does apply at times.

The Mavs were not a bad team, and they had a good coach. They would have put up a decent fight.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Vire posted:

LEVEL 9000!!!!!!

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Bashez posted:

Carlisle is a great coach and the Mavericks have a lot of very good players.

yup

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Super Jay Mann posted:

Nowitzki breaks defenses, Dirk plus Calderon and Monta stretched the Spurs to their limit. That led to every 35 year old role player having an awesome game. Add some clutch shooting and you get 7 games.

Against the spurs, a good secondary ball handler is key. A good secondary ball handler on pick rolls plus good shooting is how you beat them.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would like to hear these matchups.

A lot of the time I think that is used as a buzzword, though it does apply at times.

The Mavs were not a bad team, and they had a good coach. They would have put up a decent fight.

I haven't watched enough maverick basketball this year to feel confident and break them down but an example I would give is the heat have a much tougher time with the spurs then the thunder and it's not because the heat are better or worst then the spurs.

I don't know how much they would have struggled against the mavs all I'm saying is you can't use the logic since the spurs had trouble another team would too.

Vire fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 31, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Shorten all the series except the finals to three games, and make it a double elimination tournament where the losers bracket is reseeded by overall league rank.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Super Jay Mann posted:

You know the saying "If you wonder whether someone is playing 11th dimensional chess, or just incompetent, the answer is usually the second"?

It doesn't apply to the Spurs.

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009

Vire posted:

Then how do you explain the 2011 Mavs defeating the Heat via Spirit Bomb?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vire posted:

I haven't watched enough maverick basketball this year to feel confident and break them down but an example I would give is the heat have a much tougher time with the spurs then the thunder and it's not because the heat are better or worst then the spurs.

I don't know how much they would have struggled against the mavs all I'm saying is you can't use the logic since the spurs had trouble another team would too.

As far as I know, ( I could be wrong of course) but the Spurs did not have any significant matchup issues with the Mavs, which was more my point.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Lebron with quite the outfit

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CharlestheHammer posted:

As far as I know, ( I could be wrong of course) but the Spurs did not have any significant matchup issues with the Mavs, which was more my point.

Dirk is a matchup issue. He did to the Spurs defense what Lamarcus Aldridge did to the Rockets defense, albeit without as much production.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

nachos posted:

Lebron with quite the outfit

Is he wearing a lion?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Mavs have Dirk, and a bunch of dudes that could switch all the screens. Though the fits Dallas gave them were more due to the Spurs needing to wake up and Carlisle being brilliant.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

WEREWAIF posted:

Dirk is a matchup issue. He did to the Spurs defense what Lamarcus Aldridge did to the Rockets defense, albeit without as much production.

Dirk wasn't the matchup issue for the Spurs at all. They let Tiago guard him and Tiago did a great job.

Dirk had a 96 ortg, he was brutally inefficient.

The Spurs had a lot of trouble with the Mavericks switching so much on screens.

Also Dejuan Blair killed them.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Manstrocity posted:

Then how do you explain the 2011 Mavs defeating the Heat via Spirit Bomb?

JJ barea was a matchup problem an carlise out coached the poo poo out of spo. Remeber who was the heats point guards? Carlos Aroyo and Bibby.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also the Heat blew a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter and Jason Terry went nuts and Lebron James played like doodoo for 3 games.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

He slammed his body into his back you loving dumbasses

E: well that was for the crowd, no surprise heat posters couldn't see it either though

So much anger

So much haet.

You are a Sith Lord shitlord.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bashez posted:

Dirk wasn't the matchup issue for the Spurs at all. They let Tiago guard him and Tiago did a great job.

Dirk had a 96 ortg, he was brutally inefficient.

The Spurs had a lot of trouble with the Mavericks switching so much on screens.

Also Dejuan Blair killed them.

I get that your gimmick is being obstinate, but come on man.
Splitter riding Dirk way out meant wide open slashing lanes for Ellis, and all the attention paid to him led to lots of easy baskets off the pick and roll.

That plus playing spurs style no 3's defense is why the series went to 7 games.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think the Mavs could probably take Miami to 6 games.

E: and probably beat the Pacers

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think the Mavs could probably take Miami to 6 games.

E: and probably beat the Pacers

Yeah, which is more of a reflection on the sad state of the Eastern Conference than anything else. Either the Big 3 needs to end due to salary cap concerns or a few other superstars need to move from the West to the East and join together on one of the other teams to go up against the Heat. Otherwise the Heat will continue to roll into the Finals the next few years.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

WEREWAIF posted:

I get that your gimmick is being obstinate, but come on man.
Splitter riding Dirk way out meant wide open slashing lanes for Ellis, and all the attention paid to him led to lots of easy baskets off the pick and roll.

That plus playing spurs style no 3's defense is why the series went to 7 games.

That's true but it doesn't really fall in to my definition of "matchup issue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bashez posted:

That's true but it doesn't really fall in to my definition of "matchup issue".

What's your personal definition of matchup issue?

Wouldn't it be a player whose play results in distortions of the normal pattern of play of the other team?

• Locked thread