Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The CGI movies really do feel like cutscenes for a game that never was. Plus the CGI is hyper detailed, approaching uncanny valley levels at times. Like, what a real person from an anime would look like. I thought so anyways.

PureRok posted:

However, RE6's cutscenes are of better quality than the movie. At least, I thought so, and I watched the movie while I was playing the game.

Yeah, this is what I meant. RE6 looks so much better. Actually Advent Children looks better than RE movies do.

TerryLennox posted:

The Boss, unsexualized? Her cleavage reaches to her navel and she is based on Charlotte Rampling, unsexualized she ain't.

That scene never felt sexual at all though, it was more about showing the scar and explaining what she had lot and so on. She's not going ~uguu~ at any point and never flings around her assets. Compared to EVA or almost any other video game female character, she is extremely unsexualized.

Never knew she was actually based on somebody. Can definitely see the similiarities.

Well hello there :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TerryLennox posted:

The Boss, unsexualized? Her cleavage reaches to her navel and she is based on Charlotte Rampling, unsexualized she ain't.

Way to miss the point on one of the most powerful scenes in the game. :rolleyes:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I bought RE5 Gold Edition and good god that game is so good. I played the original to death when it was released and it's one of my favorite games. I understand that RE fans aren't too hot about it, it's a straight up action game and there is no survival or very little horror at this point in the series, but for me, RE5 is just great. The controls took a bit to get used to after so much of The Last of Us, but it's goming back to me little by little.

Sheva's character design is so weird though. She isn't just a regular South African lady, she's anime South African lady, and the end result is a pseudo-race that doesn't exist anywhere in the world. Like she's the "impossible photosop hot" type of character, like Naomi from MGS4, but they still tried to retain some typical african facial features, so to my eye she is just very, very weird. Jill doesn't bother me that much, you've seen faces like her in Final Fantasy for years, but Sheva is just odd. Chris is a little disproportionate with his huge rear end arms and long legs, but I know a couple of people who basically look like that, so he doesn't shine out too badly.

Such a shame that RE6 was such a mess. How is Revelations? I played it a bit and it was really solid, but it was a little too survival horrory and adventurey to my tastes. RE5 ius a well paces action game with tight controls, and I just can't say no to that.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you like the straight action, you will probably enjoy raid mode in Revelations. It is basically Resident Evil: Diablo.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rev is a more solid game than 6 for my money and Raid Mode is a blast, more fun than the story mode.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
A raid mode? Is it something you get instead of mercenaries? What's the difference to mercenaries?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ManOfTheYear posted:

A raid mode? Is it something you get instead of mercenaries? What's the difference to mercenaries?

The levels all have goals. It isn't survival until you die, you play a set area of the game and defeat all of the monsters in the level. You gain experience and BP (money), which you spend on weapons, ammo and character upgrades. It is basically a mini-RPG with the Revelations gameplay.

It is SUPER fun and addicting, but becomes an embarrassing grind with a crazy rear end difficulty curve at the end. I honestly have no idea how you are supposed to beat the ghost ship or even the final Norman level.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

abagofcheetos posted:

The levels all have goals. It isn't survival until you die, you play a set area of the game and defeat all of the monsters in the level. You gain experience and BP (money), which you spend on weapons, ammo and character upgrades. It is basically a mini-RPG with the Revelations gameplay.

It is SUPER fun and addicting, but becomes an embarrassing grind with a crazy rear end difficulty curve at the end. I honestly have no idea how you are supposed to beat the ghost ship or even the final Norman level.

Huh, alright. What's the best version of Revelations? I had it on 3DS.

Is there only one type of melee attack in Revelations? The best part of RE5 is the usefulness of hand to hand combat, because you have so many different moves, they do really good damage, you can do a combo with your partner and you get invincibility frames, plus more time in Mercenaries. I was very dissappointed how RE6 handeled melee moves.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

abagofcheetos posted:

I honestly have no idea how you are supposed to beat the ghost ship or even the final Norman level.

The Ghost Ship seems like one of those things people only get through because someone runs them. I had a pretty cool Japanese guy run me through it and I can say Easy Grip weapons, pulse grenades, and anything to up your knife damage is going to make your life easier if you're not maxed out because the knife is godly in Raid. Also getting dodging down can make you untouchable no matter what you're facing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ManOfTheYear posted:

Huh, alright. What's the best version of Revelations? I had it on 3DS.

Console versions add a new difficulty, some extra ease of play dealies and generally round off the rough edges. The PC version's much the same, but I'm guessing the multiplayer side is near dead. The 360 version (which I have) isn't exactly packed, but I can almost always find someone else to play with.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Is there any way to quickly unlock Hunk in Revelations? I was going to buy it on PS3 pretty much entirely for using Hunk in Raid Mode and reading into it claimed he was like some super difficult unlock, killed that purchase right there.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

No easy way, sadly. You have to S-Rank every stage on every difficulty. you can buy the Lady Hunk DLC skin, which kinda sorta lets you use the character right off the bat. It's... not very popular.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like the lady hunk DLC if it didn't use Rachael's voice clips.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Been reading this thread backwards and there really is some serious hate for RE5. How come? Playing alone the story mode doesn't seem bad to me at all, but a lot of people are ready to pull their hair of for it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My problem regarding solo RE5 lies on how you have to babysit sheva all the drat time ammo and health-wise.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ManOfTheYear posted:

Been reading this thread backwards and there really is some serious hate for RE5. How come? Playing alone the story mode doesn't seem bad to me at all, but a lot of people are ready to pull their hair of for it.

There are several parts of the game where, if you're playing alone, Sheva's AI is awful enough that it poses a serious problem. It's much better if played co-op or if you know how to work around her AI's limitations, and time has been kind to it, but RE5 is still working off a substantial amount of bad press stemming from aggravated people playing it solo.

It's also the game that killed Albert "Fangirl Bait" Wesker, so it's an unpopular game in some quarters because of that.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Sheva's character design is so weird though. She isn't just a regular South African lady, she's anime South African lady, and the end result is a pseudo-race that doesn't exist anywhere in the world. Like she's the "impossible photosop hot" type of character, like Naomi from MGS4, but they still tried to retain some typical african facial features, so to my eye she is just very, very weird. Jill doesn't bother me that much, you've seen faces like her in Final Fantasy for years, but Sheva is just odd.

Sheva's face model is Michelle Van Der Water, who's from South Africa and is of Dutch and East Indian ancestry.

As far as I know, starting with RE5, everyone in the RE series is based off of a real person, much as Valve did with Left 4 Dead 2.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What are the unlocks in Revelations Raid mode? I'm trucking through the initial levels and haven't unlocked anything yet.

Mostly I just want to know what you have to do to get Sailor Chris :swoon:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What are the unlocks in Revelations Raid mode? I'm trucking through the initial levels and haven't unlocked anything yet.

You have to clear the main game first to actually open up raid mode in full, and Sailor Chris is unlocked by doing 100000 damage in one shot. Get a rocket launcher.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think you have to do a certain amount of damage in a single hit.

So basically

1) Get a rocket launcher
2) Get to about level 12
3) Go to the beach level
4) Shoot a globster in the mouth
5) Retire so you can keep your rocket launcher.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

No easy way, sadly. You have to S-Rank every stage on every difficulty. you can buy the Lady Hunk DLC skin, which kinda sorta lets you use the character right off the bat. It's... not very popular.

The only easy way to unlock him is to have someone willing to solo stages with their super guns.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked RE5 because I was disappointed in RE4. Not because RE4 was a bad game, but because you could have called it Third Person Spanish Village and called the main character Keon Lennedy, unattach it from Resident Evil as a whole, and nothing else would have to change. Leon in RE4 was nothing at all like his character in RE2. The end of RE2 was "OK, now we're all gonna go team up and go gently caress Umbrella!" and you get all hyped up. Then you play Code Veronica (Which I also loved by the way) and you're still waiting for the big downfall of Umbrella. Then the RE4 opening cutscene plays and says Umbrellas been destroyed, and you can't help but think "gently caress, where was I?"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Which reminds me, add me if you want to play Raid Mode and are just starting out; I downloaded a save file to completely unlock all the normal difficulty raid missions and it's pretty great.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I played through all of Revelations solo without any problems. I don't think I died once. What level was ghost ship, and what part of it was difficult/confusing?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ghost Ship is the last Raid Mode map which is basically the entire cruiser.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks for the responses, all. I'll grab a rocket launcher and get to it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I pulled out my Gamecube the other day and started fooling around in REmake and RE0 because I haven't played them in over 10 years. Holy poo poo REmake is harder than I remember. I went from fine to You're Dead because of one attack from a dog. There doesn't seem to be much ammo lying around either...

On the other hand RE0 practically starts you out with 100+ handgun rounds, a hunting shotgun and a partner to shoot at monsters with.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I liked RE5 because I was disappointed in RE4. Not because RE4 was a bad game, but because you could have called it Third Person Spanish Village and called the main character Keon Lennedy, unattach it from Resident Evil as a whole, and nothing else would have to change. Leon in RE4 was nothing at all like his character in RE2. The end of RE2 was "OK, now we're all gonna go team up and go gently caress Umbrella!" and you get all hyped up. Then you play Code Veronica (Which I also loved by the way) and you're still waiting for the big downfall of Umbrella. Then the RE4 opening cutscene plays and says Umbrellas been destroyed, and you can't help but think "gently caress, where was I?"

yeah I was never on the RE4 bandwagon. no fixed camera, no tank controls, and the gameplay is aging much worse than the older RE games. To me, REmake is the ultimate resident evil.

still surprised there's not even a glimmer of hope for a series of RE0-3 remakes on steam.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But RE4 did have tank controls. :confused:

Unless I'm misinterpreting your post.

Also you'll never get remakes of the old games so just put that out of your mind, straight ports maybe and that's massive maybe.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Also you'll never get remakes of the old games so just put that out of your mind, straight ports maybe and that's massive maybe.

Please don't crush our dreams. Thanks. :qq:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

This is my opinion with the exception of being disappointed in RE4. I liked RE4, however I am one of the few people that like RE5 much more than 4.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I should point out once again that I played the gently caress put of Resident Evil 4 and thought it was awesome. But there was just nothing familiar about it at all.

Alteisen posted:

Pretty sure there are actual PC ports of these games. If FF7 can get released on Steam, anything is possible.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They work so well you can basically download a 17 years old iso from wherever you can find one, mount it, click one or two option checkboxes and start playing. Capcom could have a team of 4 interns work on a 1/2/3 collection to fix some bugs and compatibility issues and release it for like :10bux: :10bux: a month after.

To be honest, it could take a little longer if they wanted to release a better product, with achievement support, HD pack and an open enough engine so that modders can make all sort of RE 1.5mods or weird Adventure TimexWesker adventures, but my point is I would still buy it within seconds.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only reason I still want an RE3 remake is because Umbrella Chronicles poo poo all over it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

The crimson heads :gonk:

The loving crimson heads. REmake is such a bastard.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

If they made a REmake 2 and 3 I would drop $60 on each one so fast. My brain wouldn't even have time to fully process it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ethanol posted:

yeah I was never on the RE4 bandwagon. no fixed camera, no tank controls, and the gameplay is aging much worse than the older RE games.

What do you mean by that? The older ones with the fixed camera seem far more dated and a chore to play these days.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ethanol posted:

yeah I was never on the RE4 bandwagon. no fixed camera, no tank controls, and the gameplay is aging much worse than the older RE games.

Technically the section where you played as Ashley used fixed camera angles in the Japanese version :eng101:

There was also a glitch where you could stun a cult member by slamming a door open on them, which would allow you to suplex them. Also, I cannot agree with your point about it ageing worse than the older games. It's simply a different genre, and excels at what it set out to be. It's like hating Symphony of the Night for not being a regular platformer.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Capcom just released an update for SSFIV Arcade edition for Steamworks to replace GFWL. Chances of RE5 getting that treatment increased?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PureRok posted:

Capcom just released an update for SSFIV Arcade edition for Steamworks to replace GFWL. Chances of RE5 getting that treatment increased?

They haven't said dick about RE5 regarding this or any of their GFWL titles that aren't SFIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

If they made a REmake 2 and 3 I would drop $60 on each one so fast. My brain wouldn't even have time to fully process it.

Hell, I'd settle for an HD remake of the REmake, but I doubt that'd be feasible with the pre-rendered environments.

Such an awesome game being stuck in SD, 4:3 hell forever is a real bummer.