Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Good thing we hand out promotions instead of firing squads for desertion these days.
Good people probably died trying till get dipshit back. I hope he gets a dishonorable discharge maybe next time he goes for a hike it will be off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
OBUMMER DOESN'T SUPPORT OUR BRAVE POWS!!!!!!

NIGGER DEATH TURBO fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 31, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Good people probably died trying till get dipshit back. I hope he gets a dishonorable discharge maybe next time he goes for a hike it will be off a cliff.

Well we handed over basically a royal flush of most wanted cards to get him back :negative:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It even hosed with air ops for a while.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zeroisanumber posted:

I thought that he freaked out and decided to just walk the hell away from his base out into Afghanistan and got himself caught.

That actually reminds me of a pretty decent book by Tim O'Brien.

Going After Cacciato.

:stare: Woah, talk about a flashback. I haven't thought about that book in years, I had to read that one and The Things We Carried in 10th Grade English Lit.

In other news, Thailand is now a military dictatorship.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Zeroisanumber posted:

I thought that he freaked out and decided to just walk the hell away from his base out into Afghanistan and got himself caught.

That actually reminds me of a pretty decent book by Tim O'Brien.

Going After Cacciato.

Reminds me of something I read about in a book about Army Special Forces in Vietnam. The guy telling the story knew this other guy that was good friends with some of the montagnards they worked with and one day some South Vietnamese guys murdered them. The guy lost it and went AWOL into the jungles of Vietnam and just started killing any Vietnamese men he came across. Some SF guys went after him and once they found him they had him quietly flown out of the country and back to the US. No idea what happened to him after that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I loved the part with 1st cav taking that village.

edit: not everything is apocalypse down.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 31, 2014

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
There are currently 0 american military held captive in Afghanistan now.
http://time.com/2803616/bowe-bergdahl-american-afghanistan-returned/

At first I was kinda pleased that this dude is home. But there's still so much hate out there for what he did and the people who died saving him. He made a really dumb and stupid mistake that should have gotten him killed but instead others were killed. He's had to deal with 5 years of captivity and I'm positive some torture. This guy is going to be hosed up and there's really nothing I can say that would be worse than what he dealt with.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BigDave posted:

:stare: Woah, talk about a flashback. I haven't thought about that book in years, I had to read that one and The Things We Carried in 10th Grade English Lit.

In other news, Thailand is now a military dictatorship.

Well yeah, for the umpteenth time in the last 80-odd years. There have been so many Thai coups that there is disagreement among experts about the exact number. That article even says "at least Thailand's 12th since 1932."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HClChicken posted:

There are currently 0 american military held captive in Afghanistan now.
http://time.com/2803616/bowe-bergdahl-american-afghanistan-returned/

At first I was kinda pleased that this dude is home. But there's still so much hate out there for what he did and the people who died saving him. He made a really dumb and stupid mistake that should have gotten him killed but instead others were killed. He's had to deal with 5 years of captivity and I'm positive some torture. This guy is going to be hosed up and there's really nothing I can say that would be worse than what he dealt with.

They'll pin a medal on him and give him his back pay and then muster him out. If he's smart he'll move to some small place in the middle of nowhere and refuse all interview requests.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zeroisanumber posted:

They'll pin a medal on him and give him his back pay and then muster him out. If he's smart he'll move to some small place in the middle of nowhere and refuse all interview requests.

He should grant 1 interview for the price of like a million bucks or something. In the interview he says "I was a colossal loving retard and I am sorry for what I did."

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
No clue if true, but apparently this guy was in his squad:
https://twitter.com/CodyFNfootball

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JSARSOM posted:

This guy rules.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JSARSOM posted:

Perhaps he should have found a better medium than twitter, like any other one, really.

This on the other hand is pretty priceless.

CodyFNfootball posted:

That's me in front of it. (Excuse me for being American) inside we made a bench out of sandbags to sit on behind an M240B.
In reference to that photo.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 1, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Perhaps he should have found a better medium than twitter, like any other one, really.

I wonder if he's phone posting. That's got to be a pain in the rear end.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mad Dragon posted:

I wonder if he's phone posting. That's got to be a pain in the rear end.

He is.

Here, I went through and copied/pasted all of them so far, because it's interesting as gently caress.

@CodyFNfootball posted:

On June 30, 2009 @ OP Mest, Paktika Afghanistan @ apprx 0600 local time roll was called. Everyone reported 100% except 3rd squad (my squad)

Bravo Team was 100%, Alpha Team wasn't (my team).

PVT. Bergdhal was unaccounted for. Searches were conducted on the OP(1/4 acre in size)

Under Vehicles, the shitter, different cot, etc. Still no site to be had. DUSTWUN was called up to hire (duty status unknown)

A little background prior to June 30th. Bergdahl (B) came to our unit around October of 2008, we had NTC rotation in NOV

1-501 Parachute Infantry Regiment of 4th Brigade 25th Infantry Division. We were all Airborne infantry but (b) wasn't

(B) moved in at the Barracks with me and my roomate. All 2nd PLT 3rd Squad but my and B were on Alpha. From the get go something seemed off

Normally before war 20 something drink beer, BBQ, hangout with platoon/squad mates on free time, could be your last days you never know

B would always stay inside on his bunk reading Rosetta Stone in the 3 languages where we were deploying in Afghan

B also ordered an AK-47 during this time. He had no phone or vehicle and didn't wear deodorant and early took a shower.

B would tell us romanizing stories about how joined the French foreign legend(he didn't), how he beat up drug dealers(?) and...

How he wanted to be a mercenary if the army didn't work out.

During the NTC rotation he was a good soldier. After NTC he got staph and ended up being late to deployment by about 6 weeks.

After he arrived in county (a few or weeks so) PLT got tasked for a mission in Omna (not a good place). A complex ambush happened

RPGs, Motors, RPKs, PKMs, AKs, IEDs all involved. Trucks got all hosed up, no one died and the PLT killed quite a few booger eaters

Once the trucks were literally drug out of kill zone and pushed down a little bit in the valley, PLT was stuck.

Security was set in place,trying to figure out what was gonna happen. Towed out, blown in place etc. Hours turned into a Handful of days

Let me back track real quick to NTC. Sorry folks this is all of the top of my head.

So up to NTC we know B studied languages, ordered an AK-47.

At NTC (National Training Center) He wanted to know how we did everything, tactically. And not just how we did it, but why we did it.

And it wasn't a PVT asking Qs and taking Notes, it was very cerebral in the questioning.

Ok, back to Omna...

During the ambush B was in the back of the truck, he didn't know get to shoot. This seemed to really bother him. That he didn't get to kill

That was in March or April 09. After that we started going to this OP Mest for 3,4,7,10 whatever days at a time. Come back refit start again

OP Mest was in a Wadi (river bed) great planning there Officers. And had 30-50 hills on top. The lower area was about 1/4 acre

On top were the hills there were 4. We had the one overlooking the roads and lower part of the OP and Afghan Police had the other 3

That's me in front of it. (Excuse me for being American) inside we made a bench out of sandbags to sit on behind an M240B.

5 - 6 of us would be in there at all times. It rotated between people everytime we went out there

There was an article written in rolling stone and I would like to speak on that for a few before we start with the day(s) prior to June 30th

I can't say I know of the emails from B to his Dad is what he wrote or didn't write, but I can tell something's that were written simply

Didn't happen, for instance

LT. Fancy was our PL for about 3 weeks in country he was canned for being incompetent. And like any great officer he took pop shots

At NCOs who protected his rear end for as long as they could. That dude drove in a circle literally a circle following the last truck

Thinking it was the objective for an hour. To call him an idiot would be an understatement. He was assigned to an office job afterwards

He is discredited. As for SPC. Jason Fry. He was in our PLT before NTC but didn't make it because he broke his collarbone

He was sent to country late with B. When all the medical profiles arrived on country our CSM asked if anybody was still injured

Plenty were but only 2 spoke up, one of those were Fry. He never served anytime on the line. Was on a FPB behind a desk. Discredited

Everything he spoke of I article was 2nd hand knowledge at best

And "unit morale was lowered when LT left" is hilarious, morale was never higher when he left

What B was portraying to his family and what was happening in real life were polar opposites

LT. Bradshaw in Cco and Bowe didn't even know each other. At all. B portraying them as great friends in emails to his Dad makes no sense

We never ran over a child or anybody for that matter. That part really pissed me off.

During the times @ Mest it is true that B would spend hours with local forces and ask them to translate various things and ask about terrain

B did say "If deployment is lame, I'm going to get lost in the Mountains and make my way to China" starting to see what we are dealing with?

People still reading? I have a ways to go

Part 2 will have some emotional a parts for me. I'm going to grab a few cold ones and I will be back in 5 mins.

So up to this point we know that B. Studied languages on Rosetta Stone prior to deployment, bought an AK47 to train on and

Spoke of wanting to pop smoke if the "deployment was lame" and openly lied to his father in emails(if those emails are real)

Side Note: You would figure before deploying, if you were going to be a gun to train with. You would buy an AR-15 and not the enemies.

5-7 days before June 30th

We were told we would have a few days off before going to OP Mest, and this would our last time going there.

We would be turning it over to the ANP(Afghan National Police). Something happened that day that we would come to find out a few weeks later

B packed all his belongings; computer, clothes, random poo poo,etc. Minus camera and journal.

Why would someone pack all of there belongings and send them home in the middle of a 12 month deployment? Hmmmm

We head out to OP Mest for the final time. 5 days, easy breezy.

On the 2nd night B asked our team leader what would happen of his sensitive equipment went missing (NightVision, Guns, Sights, etc.)

On the 3rd night B asked a fellow platoon mate " if your M9 (9mm Pistol) went missing would you get in trouble?"

So we now have Pre-Meditated Desertion at this point, yes?

If I had to guess B slipped out around 0300-0430 local time. And I think he picked that night because it had the lowest moon lumens

We now know that he knew he would be leaving on the final trip. He just picked the best time to do it.

Having extensive knowledge of the tiny OP and terrain, he knew the dead spots of where we on guard could see and where we couldn't.

My TeamLeader, PLT forward observer, A SGT, myself and a private. Were all tasked to man the bunker on the hill during the last rotation

We all rotated on 3 hour guard rotations. Mine came up at 0500. Bunker was small especially with 5 grown rear end men in it

So I stood up put my plate carrier on and helmet, guy takes my places and goes to sleep. It's still dark, so I out my NODs on

I walk outside the bunker, take a piss and throw in a dip. Walk back in the bunker, do a radio check and begin my guard shift.

Gets boring real quick, so I walk outside the bunker and just kinda stand there looking around for about an hour.

So after an hour of scanning my sector and what not, Roll Call and accounting for sensitive equipment begins.

I'm on guard still in the bunker, so I count heads, guns and radio down saying we are up. I'm not gonna be a dick and wake people up.

I hear 1st Squad give their 100%, then 3rd, still no 2nd squad yet. A scene similar in Ferris Bueller plays out.

Call it whatever you want, at this point I began waking up B and I's TL. Frantically. He woke up and all I said was "he is gone"

He said "gently caress me" and knew who I was talking about. Up to this point I had spoke to a few guys about B.

Always thought something was just a little off. Like mental off, I felt like he thought he life was a movie in his head

And wanted to act it out in real life

(The French Foreign, Beating up drugs dealers, wanting to get lost in mountains and find his way China.) Proves my point.

TL and Me look at each other like what next? I tell him to ask if his gun and kit is still there. We are then summoned to the OPs lower

We start checking his poo poo. Gun, Ammo, Plate carrier, Nods all good. Only things missing are a camera, journal, compass....

An MRE might have been taken too but those things are a dime a dozen and uncountable.

This is all kinda of a WTF moment going around with leadership. Everyone is looking around puzzled. Minus me and TL

We both look at the SL, PL and PSG and say he is "loving gone"

DUSTWUN was then called up to Battalion.

Teams were immediately kicked out into surrounding area to look for B. I can't not describe the intensity

Search teams and blocking positions were kicked out. Making sure no one got in or no one got out.

Our PLT came upon some children, they asked him have they seen an American.

The children said "yes, he was crawling on his belly through weeds and acting funny a while ago"

The children were asked which direction did he go? They pointed and the platoon hauled rear end towards the direction.

PLT get to another village, starting asking questions. Tempo has change, we mean business. No circle talk bullshit.

Villagers said an American did come through the area and was wanting water and someone who spoke English. Wanted to meet with Taliban.

Around the same time our interrupter (Terp) is picking up traffic on his radio. Interrupters carry around more or less a Motorola

They pick up traffic with people stating they have an american.

Our TL was used as an immediate proof of life with the Taliban. TL gave his name & positive responsive was given via Taliban interpreter.

After that missions starting going off like crazy 17 days straight trying to find B

The next tweets will all be opinion and assumptions.

PLT didn't find him and were never close. An amount of money was spent on assets trying to find B. Not going to name what was used

A huge thing in country is not building patterns. Well when you are looking for a person everyday that creates a pattern.

While searching for him, ambushes and IEDs picked up tremendously. Enemy knew we would be coming.

IEDs started being placed more effectively in the coming weeks. Ambushes were more calculated, cover and concealment was used

I will not disclose what a person of his rank could or would know at his point in the military. But it's enough.

So without B going missing we wouldn't have been in certain places

And without being in those places, 2 brothers wouldn't have given the ultimate sacrifice. They went out like loving Hero's.

Risking their own to save another, have no greater love.

Numerous others were killed in action during this time across the country, including our bat.

How many other prisoners have lasted 5 years? Taliban and Haqqani are ruthless.

B knew what he was doing, pre-mediated desertion with out a doubt. Still a Federal Crime and Punishable by Death.

Did he aid the enemy? Can't prove that, wasn't with him. Do I believe he have ore information than Name, Rank and Social? Yes.

More information will come out, but that's all I can say now legally.

I'm not doing this for any motivation outside of the truth coming out. On the legality side watching what I say due to slander/deformation

NDA we signed was not a written up by DOD. Nor was completed with the legal caveats not witnessed by an O4, also numerous people didn't sign

And simply threw them away.

Take it as fact or take it as fiction. I just wanted to get some things off my chest.

edit: Copied/Pasted the rest of the tweets.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 1, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The image of him crawling around in the weeds while Afghan children look on puzzled reinforces what I already thought about him.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

He's still going btw. Dude is letting it all out. poo poo is insane.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Jarmak posted:

Good thing we hand out promotions instead of firing squads for desertion these days.
You're a true American hero

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

He is.

Here, I went through and copied/pasted all of them so far, because it's interesting as gently caress.

:ohdear:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I really hope that's more for him suing Rolling Stone for the poo poo they put in their story.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
enlisted people are so loving stupid haha

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CNN reporters are replying to him now too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

genderstomper58 posted:

enlisted people are so loving stupid haha

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I really hope that's more for him suing Rolling Stone for the poo poo they put in their story.

Maybe LT Fancy is going to sue him.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

"SF?"

"-A SOF Marine"

:qq:

KillerToast
May 30, 2013

I remember hearing from two other guys who were also on OP Mest that they all had to sign Non-Disclosure Agreements in the aftermath.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What the loving gently caress? So this dude is Are Troops I hear spoken of, huh?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/ScottyBurberry/status/472965577938837504

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dude says manbabies too much.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Aside from maybe violating a NDA that may or may not exist what is this dude doing so wrong that makes him a coward, I don't get it.

I shouldn't think too hard about this should I

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Shits getting serious yo, talkin bout white privilege 'n poo poo.

https://twitter.com/GRYKING/status/472966179062292480

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Montel Williams is getting involved. :munch:

https://twitter.com/Montel_Williams/with_replies

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I wonder if this is some type of PTSD induce writing. He saw this guy free and his two buddies are still dead and this all flooded back.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Wow. That is some unfiltered reading there.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

He is.

Keep posting please who knows when hell delete it all

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He's acting concerned that the current administration will get him because that's what "they" do apparently. That's probably some reference to Dinesh D'Souza.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Why the gently caress would he put this poo poo all over twitter instead of getting with a lawyer and a journalist if he wants to get the ~real story~ out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Why the gently caress would he put this poo poo all over twitter instead of getting with a lawyer and a journalist if he wants to get the ~real story~ out.
Because he's a millenial idiot.

• Locked thread