Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't give a single poo poo what the speed limit is, I'm going to cruise efficiently (at 60 or less in my Jeep). It's not a loving mystery, increasing your speed increases your fuel consumption, quadratically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

EightBit posted:

I don't give a single poo poo what the speed limit is, I'm going to cruise efficiently (at 60 or less in my Jeep). It's not a loving mystery, increasing your speed increases your fuel consumption, quadratically.

Good for you, brother, keep causing those accidents!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Please stay out of the way then. Thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You save a lot more gas not mashing the pedal to the floor after every stop than by driving 5 mph slower. The specifics depend on the car and cruising speed but at least at normal speeds (under 60 mph) it's the acceleration that kills.

Granted, driving slower AND going easy on acceleration saves even more gas, but that's a great way to piss off literally everyone sharing the road with you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Easiest way to deal with tailgaters? Just let off the gas and start going slower. Eventually they will go around you or back off to a reasonable enough distance where you can speed back up again. gently caress tailgaters.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

xzzy posted:

You save a lot more gas not mashing the pedal to the floor after every stop than by driving 5 mph slower. The specifics depend on the car and cruising speed but at least at normal speeds (under 60 mph) it's the acceleration that kills.

Granted, driving slower AND going easy on acceleration saves even more gas, but that's a great way to piss off literally everyone sharing the road with you.

Going 60 from San Antonio to Corpus, I can arrive with 1/4 tank. Going 75, have to stop halfway because I have 1/4 tank left. Wranglers are brick walls with a tent strapped on, so they really get hosed by aerodynamic drag's quadratic gains relative to velocity. Mashing the pedal more does make engines run richer, but when most of your miles are sustained highway miles, you learn real quick that speed == :20bux:. Study a little bit of physics, aerodynamic drag for cars increases roughly quadratically, that means that doubling your speed requires about four times the power, regardless of body shape. How do you get more power? You burn more fuel. It's not a difficult concept.

And yes, I do stick to lanes where I'm not impeding people (there are always slower people somehow :psyduck:).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ratbert90 posted:

Easiest way to deal with tailgaters? Just let off the gas and start going slower. Eventually they will go around you or back off to a reasonable enough distance where you can speed back up again. gently caress tailgaters.

Or you could just let them pass. I mean, I don't like tailgaters either, but the easiest and safest way for me to deal with them is to just give them what they want with no drama.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PT6A posted:

Or you could just let them pass. I mean, I don't like tailgaters either, but the easiest and safest way for me to deal with them is to just give them what they want with no drama.

You're my favorite person.

I ride a bike and drive a suburban. When I ride a bike I pass people, when I'm in the suburban I pull off the road at any opportunity to let people around me.

It's not hard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

Slowing down makes it safer for them to pass? :confused:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

If everyone is going 75, and you're going 60, then you're a 15mph roadblock, and more of a danger to the people going 75 than the people going 80 or even 85. I mean, cruise at whatever speed you want if you can do it safely, but the way you've worded your post makes me think you're the type of person to sit at 55mph on a speedy highway where everyone does 85, and you're telling all of those people to gently caress off because they're wrong. In that situation (99% of people are doing one thing), they may not be right, but you're more in the wrong, because you're the greater danger. I don't know if you're saying that, because there's only so much that can be conveyed in such a short post, like yours was. I'm just trying to point out why people have responded in a hostile manner, if you hadn't noticed.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

How many roads with a 70+ limit have you driven on where there aren't speed limited (or simply underpowered) trucks/rvs/etc doing 55-60 in the right lane? If literally everyone is doing 75 then someone bopping along at 60 is a hazard. But that's never actually the case, and traffic in the right lane is usually flowing barely over 60 anyway so who gives a gently caress?

Edit: I mean I'm not seeing the part of his post that implied he sits in the passing lane pacing the Swift truck in the right lane while throwing eggs out his window at the cars stuck behind him that everyone else seems to be seeing.

Theris fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 31, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Theris posted:

But that's never actually the case,

You can not ever say never, as you don't know the conditions of each and every highway in america. Example: Highway 84 between central Boise and Meridian/Nampa in Idaho in the hours right before and right after rush hour is very commonly 80+ mph, and there are alternate routes specifically for trucks. I drove that damned road six days a week, in the morning and in the evening, and I can honestly tell you that there were days that there were zero cars going less than 75. If someone was going less than that, they could have been (and have been) pulled over by police for causing a road obstruction, because the law states the speed must be reasonable and prudent, and not create a hazard. Yes, you can get ticketed for going too slow even if "too slow" is still above the posted speed limit: it happens all of the time in certain areas. There simply doesn't exist a lane "barely over 60" in that scenario. The exact same can be said for the beeline highway/highway 87 from Fountain Hills to Phoenix in Arizona during the workweek.

Even with my defense, your argument is flawed, anyway. A single truck or two doesn't cause a lane to slow down to 60mph, what it causes is a rolling road hazard that everyone darts around, increasing risk for everybody. Any lane change carries increased risk and danger. You sound like your examples or prior knowledge of freeways comes from a specific area of the country, because there are also areas where there's always a lane doing 55-60 day in, day out. But those aren't everywhere, and claiming that something possibly can't exist is foolish, because a single person can never know everything about every scenario. You have to work within the limits of your knowledge, and accept that maybe, somewhere else you possibly may not have seen, the circumstances are different.

The last four pages of this thread are because people don't think that anything other than what they know firsthand can be a possibility that other people may have to deal with, and you're one of those people. All I said in my post is that there are situations where somebody going "well, I'm going to go 15 under the limit because it's more efficient and gently caress everybody else," is being a douchenozzle and willingly endangering others. I also admitted in my post that he very well may be able to do that safely, in which case, more power to him. I know of roads where both extreme danger, and relative safety, in doing what he wants to do, exist.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

You're right. Just like he always 100% of the time drives 60 regardless of circumstances, I have never personally experienced a situation like what you describe nor am I capable of even considering the mere possibility that such a time or place could exist.

Holy loving poo poo I'm sorry I left out "almost." And I'm sure he's sorry he didn't include an itemized list of all possible conditions under which he wouldn't cruise at 60.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 31, 2014

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These are the autists you share a road with.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Things I've learned from this thread: Driving 10+ over the speed limit is A-OK. Driving 10+ under the speed limit is a danger to you and everyone else on the road.

:v:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Slowing down makes it safer for them to pass? :confused:

Slowing down just enrages tailgaters. Which is all well and good until someone hauls off and shoots you for it, or runs you off the road.

Signal your intention to get out of their way, and then get out of their way.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

EightBit posted:

You must be a Seattle driver. I can't stand people like you because around here they all insist on going 60 in left lane and box cars in that are trying to pass. I don't mind if you do 60 in the right most lane, that is fine. I do that too when my OverDrive was not working. But never never get in the left lane to go play traffic cop to slow down everyone else. You don't know what's going on in the car behind that wants to pass. I had to rush someone to the ER once and I would have gotten there sooner if I didn't have to weave about on the roads and highways due to left lane campers. gently caress them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Solar Coaster posted:

You must be a Seattle driver. I can't stand people like you because around here they all insist on going 60 in left lane and box cars in that are trying to pass. I don't mind if you do 60 in the right most lane, that is fine. I do that too when my OverDrive was not working. But never never get in the left lane to go play traffic cop to slow down everyone else. You don't know what's going on in the car behind that wants to pass. I had to rush someone to the ER once and I would have gotten there sooner if I didn't have to weave about on the roads and highways due to left lane campers. gently caress them.

The people who designed I-5 through Seattle did not help out this situation by adding a bunch of left-hand exits/entrances throughout downtown, fwiw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SocketSeven posted:

Slowing down just enrages tailgaters. Which is all well and good until someone hauls off and shoots you for it, or runs you off the road.

Signal your intention to get out of their way, and then get out of their way.

And if it's a single lane road? I don't hang out in the left lane.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Everyone else can back the gently caress off cause I'm doing what I like on a public road, and if you don't like it, suck on my .45 motherfuckers.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Everyone else can back the gently caress off cause I'm doing what I like on a public road, and if you don't like it, suck on my .45 motherfuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMa_t5cBgY

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

And if it's a single lane road? I don't hang out in the left lane.

When I've been aggressively tailgated in that situation, I've pulled over. If I'm not being tailgated aggressively, I usually just do 5 over the limit and leave a large gap in front of me, so I won't have to slam on my brakes.

People tend not to tailgate me. Maybe it's my habit of engine braking? Or because I like to get out of peoples way and let them find cops for me.

edit: The most truly rear end in a top hat thing I do to tailgaters, is do a controlled "swerve" around an imaginary pothole or squirrel. Not hard enough to worry about losing control, no slamming on the brakes or gas. Just make them realise they can't see if they are about to eat a pothole or not, and back off.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 31, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I drive a beater at the speed of light so the only time I get tailgated is by extremely dumb people in dense traffic where I can't get out of their way anyways., and even if I did, they wouldn't be going anywhere.

So I feed them road debris, such as the 50lb hunk of exploded truck tire I drove over and spat directly into the bumper cover of a guy who rode my rear end last fall :v:

He backed off. Apparently following someone so closely you can't see anything they're about to hit or avoid it when they do hit it is a bad idea, who knew? I couldn't even see his license plate he was following so closely.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Some assholes on a Harley who were putting along in the left lane ball bearing'd me because they felt I was too close and yielding the left lane is for slack jawed pussies, not Bad rear end Americans on American Iron :911: fortunately they missed, and it took me a few moments to realize what happened and whether I should've called the police on them. I didn't.

This was years ago, though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just pull over for tailgaters. Tailgating is imminent danger and I take immediate evasive action and move over or pull onto the shoulder. It's not a game.

Speaking of local police, I've had to do this for a few of the boys in blue that can't seem to stay off their phones.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Lots of angry entitled nerds itt. My jeep can't go 75 without nearly full throttle and emergency stopping it at that speed is sketchy. Go blow your fuel budget out your rear end, a few minutes off of your commute is not worth the expense or danger.

Goons are the people I share the road with.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Some assholes on a Harley who were putting along in the left lane ball bearing'd me because they felt I was too close and yielding the left lane is for slack jawed pussies, not Bad rear end Americans on American Iron :911: fortunately they missed, and it took me a few moments to realize what happened and whether I should've called the police on them. I didn't.

This was years ago, though.

If you called the cops, you could not prove that he threw the ball bearing. . . Real bikers break up the porcelain from spark plugs and throw that at windshields, supposedly it does no damage and breaks up into a fine powder looking more like a bug splatter.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Things I've learned from this thread: Driving 10+ over the speed limit is A-OK. Driving 10+ under the speed limit is a danger to you and everyone else on the road.

:v:

You obviously missed the caveat that if you're doing 0 to speed limit +10 runs on an empty 4- lane street an an expensive foreign car, you will with 100% certainty cause a maternity ward to have an outbreak of ebola.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

EightBit posted:

Lots of angry entitled nerds itt. My jeep can't go 75 without nearly full throttle and emergency stopping it at that speed is sketchy. Go blow your fuel budget out your rear end, a few minutes off of your commute is not worth the expense or danger.

Goons are the people I share the road with.

Neither can my Blazer but I don't smugly crow about the "speed limit" as a justification for doing 55 up hills and 65 everywhere else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As long as you keep right, I don't really care what speed you choose to go. Clearly, some vehicles just can't safely keep up with the speed of traffic and it's crazy to suggest they must. However, there is no reason they should be impeding traffic either -- keep right on a multi-lane highway, pull over periodically on smaller highways.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I don't usually get tailgated, as I tend to drive towards the high end of not getting pulled over. However, particularly on the highway, if someone's aggressively riding my rear end, I move over as soon as I can and let them pass. Then I get behind them and follow at a safe distance. With the xenon headlights on. Most people just rocket away. The one that surprised me was the Audi that gave up, moved right, and slowed down to 60 (from 80ish).

People are weird.

The problem I have now is that taking 476 in PA to work every day, if I get close enough to not get cut off, I feel like I'm driving too close to be safe. If I back off to follow safely, it's "enough" of an opening for some idiot to yank the steering wheel over, and I have to slam on my brakes, hoping the person behind me is paying attention. Philly suburbia is pretty bad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

As long as you keep right, I don't really care what speed you choose to go. Clearly, some vehicles just can't safely keep up with the speed of traffic and it's crazy to suggest they must. However, there is no reason they should be impeding traffic either -- keep right on a multi-lane highway, pull over periodically on smaller highways.

The second part of this is the most important. There is a special place in hell for assholes who don't use turnouts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

The second part of this is the most important. There is a special place in hell for assholes who don't use turnouts.

The last time i drove to vegas, we planned on driving back up the coast. We ended up getting stuck behind a gold grand marquis who passed at least 5 turnout lanes and you couldn't see the end. Finally got passed the prick and less than a mile later someone with the same mental deficiency in a minivan towing a tent trailer cut me off to get ahead of me doing the exact same thing, only slowing to a crawl every once in a while to look at something.

We ended up saying "gently caress it" by monterey and cut a strait path through a seemingly deserted eastern oregon/washington/northern idaho. Still put 6000km on a rental car in 8 days.

And that's why the local budget rental offices don't let their cars out of western canada anymore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Powershift posted:

The last time i drove to vegas, we planned on driving back up the coast. We ended up getting stuck behind a gold grand marquis who passed at least 5 turnout lanes and you couldn't see the end. Finally got passed the prick and less than a mile later someone with the same mental deficiency in a minivan towing a tent trailer cut me off to get ahead of me doing the exact same thing, only slowing to a crawl every once in a while to look at something.

We ended up saying "gently caress it" by monterey and cut a strait path through a seemingly deserted eastern oregon/washington/northern idaho. Still put 6000km on a rental car in 8 days.

And that's why the local budget rental offices don't let their cars out of western canada anymore.

I will say, the only place, I turn into an aggressive tailgating rear end in a top hat is on 2-lane roads with no passing zones after you have passed a marked turn-out. The only way to get stupid tourists out of the way is to scare them as far as I can tell. Going to my parents house (on hwy 1), they can cost be a good 30-45 minutes or more.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

Things get a little better once you're north of San Francisco, but I still spent quite a bit of time puttering my motorcycle behind tourist jackasses in southern Oregon.

Eastern Oregon/Washington are scarcely-traveled but cool in their own way, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

I couldn't even see his license plate he was following so closely.

This is the norm for me here. I guess partly because small car, but people are often close enough that I can't see their headlights.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Some fat lady in a Chrysler Pacifica honked at me this morning because I didn't drop the clutch and launch off the line. I was in the right lane, and accelerating at a normal pace. The people in the left lane weren't exactly blowing by me. She just got right up my rear end and laid on the horn for about 10 seconds. I don't know how fast I should have been accelerating into the next red light 0.2 miles ahead, but I drive a Subaru and she could definitely see over my car to see what was up there. I made a right turn at that light onto a four lane 25 mph road, and she took the same route. She passed me on the left and flipped me off. She was going really fast for that road, because she passed me fairly quickly and I was already speeding at 35. Not my fault you're running late, lady.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Saw a guy driving his Honda Odyssey badly with a coffee mug (like, open top porcelain) in one hand and a little rat dog on his lap with paws on the wheel. Just because you've so clearly given up on life doesn't mean you get to endanger everybody else, dick.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Carrying mugs of coffee into a car is something that shows up in tons of commercials yet is completely unworkable in real life. I don't get it. I tried it once and spilled coffee over loving everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My dad does that, and I dont understand because he drives an Astro and that thing rocks like hell. He just drives slow as butts.