Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He had a massive bender apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

bowmore posted:

He had a massive bender apparently

Might have been better off staying at the Gold Coast and away from Sydney.

Hope he gets back on the field soon.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

bowmore posted:

I didn't think the tackle was that bad anyway

Lifting beyond the horizontal is banned because of the potential for injury, and Reynolds took him 90 degrees beyond that point.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

Lifting beyond the horizontal is banned because of the potential for injury, and Reynolds took him 90 degrees beyond that point.
But he didn't have his arms between the legs and was more of an accident than anything. Tariq Sims got a two match ban for a tackle that was worse.

bowmore fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 29, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Basically what I am saying was it was a Grade 1

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ya know, it's kind of that "well, no intent there, no harm done this time" attitude which is a big reason why McKinnon's lying in a hospital bed right now. If you allow players to tackle like that then there will be blokes getting crippled.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm torn; I don't think Reynolds was particularly responsible for the tackle and I think that Grade 1 is probably fair. Grade 2, on the other seems possibly excessive. Skimming the judiciary rules (https://www.nswrl.com.au/content/dam/nswrl/documents/Welfare%20and%20Ed/NRLJudiciaryCodeofProcedure2014.pdf) it seems that carelessness is automatically a G1, but recklessness or intentional behaviour will be reasons for an upgrade. I don't think it meets any of these criteria, so I think that it's reasonable. Tate's speed contributed to the problem, whilst Reynolds wasn't really culpable, more unfortunate.

Interestingly the rules also say specifically that the player doesn't have to go past the horizontal to be found guilty, so the more you know... (the rules are about page 100 or so for anyone curious).

Won't stop the whining on my Facebook wall, obviously.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think the person doing the dangerous part that should have been given a long vacatyion was the other man in the tackle who hooked his shoulder and drove him down.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Really it's Tate's fault to running into such a dangerous situation. The match review committee should sit him down for at least a month for such a dangerous event.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Contra Duck posted:

Really it's Tate's fault to running into such a dangerous situation. The match review committee should sit him down for at least a month for such a dangerous event.

He does have prior history of being disciplined for headbutting someone's fist.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

He does have prior history of being disciplined for headbutting someone's fist.

Yeah make it 5 weeks with the loading.

To me what Reynolds and Scott did has far more likelihood of causing injury than what Jordan McLean did.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

To me what Reynolds and Scott did has far more likelihood of causing injury than what Jordan McLean did.
I disagree. Rewatching both tackles on Youtube, McLean's tackle had the victim being held firmly, lifted and then driven headfirst into the ground with little margin for error or chance for escape. Reynolds/Scott's tackle, whilst spectacular, left Tate reasonably likely to be able to land on his back safely - he just pinwheeled through the air without having someone forcing his body to hit the ground head first and have his (and the tacklers) weight driven onto his neck. Although an injury is still possible I'd think it was relatively unlikely - the most likely problem would appear to be an impact injury from slamming into the ground so quickly.

Don't get me wrong - it's a bad tackle. That notwithstanding, McLean's tackle looks far more dangerous (which is sadly borne out by the result).

expat
Aug 12, 2013
Yep, what he said. Bad tackle outcome but unless it was reckless or intentional it was the right grade. Tate could have ended up a lot worse but it was a combination of a high/low tackle that went way beyond what both intended.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not looking good for the raiders so far...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Its fashionable to bash Stuart but he is making some real puzzlers in tactics. The Raiders have pretty bad defence this has been the case for a while now but he has made it even worse by compressing the hell out of the Raiders defence. You could throw a towel over our defensive line.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

There was some woeful defence on the Maloney try. I think it was Wighton who got caught out quite badly.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah the entire right edge has been abysmal but Stuart needs to do something about how he has the defence structured. He must be insane if he thinks its working.

Also I don't give a gently caress if Cornish makes a few errors just get him out there. McCrone is poo poo so very, very poo poo. The Roosters have CONSTANTLY had 7 tackle sets because Mccrone cannot kick. Please leave him in Sydney.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Yeah the entire right edge has been abysmal but Stuart needs to do something about how he has the defence structured. He must be insane if he thinks its working.

Also I don't give a gently caress if Cornish makes a few errors just get him out there. McCrone is poo poo so very, very poo poo. The Roosters have CONSTANTLY had 7 tackle sets because Mccrone cannot kick. Please leave him in Sydney.

It will work better once he fires three quarters of the team and is coaching Newcastle.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That was an awful fifth tackle from McCrone, choosing to pass twice when there was nothing happening, he should have got a kick in.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

It will work better once he fires three quarters of the team and is coaching Newcastle.
yeah he will never be coaching Newcastle

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

yeah he will never be coaching Newcastle

I now dream of it happening just to see the hilarious results and circumstances that lead to it happening.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I could take the side being poo poo if it wasn't for the fact that the senior players are the ones stinking the joint up. There is a culture of mediocrity at the Raiders and they simply do not give a gently caress about it. The Raiders management cares more about the clubs property portfolio than the football side to the point they are outright hostile towards fans that expect better than this poo poo.

They fired David Furner then literally just gave the job to another old boy. What a pack of backslapping yokels.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I now dream of it happening just to see the hilarious results and circumstances that lead to it happening.
nooo it can't happen it will break me as a fan

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
We can take Cameron Smith off the injured list.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Business as usual there. Not sure why Bellamy tried to make us think he was playing halfback, Harris looks like he's playing that position.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

Given the performance and how Smith looks so dis-interested, a rest probably was the better idea.

I'm not a fan of the current schedule, never have been. My belief if that Origin should be three consecutive weeks mid season with players unavailable for clubs both pre and post. Club football would continue as normal with no byes or split rounds.

Want to stack your team with origin players? Fine, but kiss them goodbye for four rounds a year.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

nooo it can't happen it will break me as a fan

I say that sort of thing all the time but the tigers haven't broken me yet.

Yet...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I say that sort of thing all the time but the tigers haven't broken me yet.

Yet...
ricky stuart

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

ricky stuart

:suicide:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good game so far, ref is letting it flow

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

Good game so far, ref is letting it flow

Surprising lack of hold down penalties.

Newy threatened a come back, then literally old drug boy Houston handed the game to the Warriors. After that, Newy gave up.

Also enjoyed Mason giving lip to the young halfback. Your a goose Mason.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Also enjoyed Mason giving lip to the young halfback. Your a goose Mason.

And that was when they were down by heaps and the game was effectively over. Mason still trying to make a case for dumbest player in the game.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Simon Mannering chip and chase :unsmith:

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
:horse:

I know Manly were missing DCE and Watmough but gently caress we played well.

Hunt going from strength to strength, I wonder what his ceiling is.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I know it's early days, but Andrew McFadden is the greatest coach in the history of the game.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Beating Manly is the best feeling in the NRL.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Benji in the centres?

Edit: No? Yes? I'm confused.

No. Is at seven. Dragons dropping lots of ball. Must be Benji at 7.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 2, 2014

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Benji in the centres?

Edit: No? Yes? I'm confused.

No. Is at seven. Dragons dropping lots of ball. Must be Benji at 7.

Dugan in the centres is odd, seeing as just a few weeks ago he was being considered for NSW fullback. Benji looked good at centre last year when Brooks played.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think I have ever seen Nightingale so out of sorts. Benji's terrible defence inside him isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

We lost twice to this loving Dragons team :negative:

• Locked thread