Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Exploder posted:

I think most people, when viewing the show for the first time, perceive the first few episodes as "slow", and then at some point, it clicks for everyone. For me, it all clicked at about episode 7. You're a lucky bastard watching it for the first time and I really do envy you. I just recently finished my first re-watch after first watching it a few years ago, and it was almost like the first time.
It's so loving dense. I'm toward the end of season one myself and I'm really loving it. It's a brilliant show, but that density makes it harder to watch since it requires 100% of my focus. If anything, I'd say the first few episodes are too fast. They throw you into it without any hand-holding, so one thing that helped for me once it "clicked" was to go back and re-watch those first episodes again.

It's like literature: Anyone can read Harry Potter anytime they want, but if you want something more nuanced, you really need to be in the right frame of mind to take everything in. I keep putting it on the back burner until I know I'm in the mood to really hunker down and absorb it. I might have to do it again with subtitles...

I love the total lack of melodrama, though. There's nothing even remotely unrealistic about this. It's like being a fly on the wall.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

oversteps posted:

It's so loving dense. I'm toward the end of season one myself and I'm really loving it. It's a brilliant show, but that density makes it harder to watch since it requires 100% of my focus. If anything, I'd say the first few episodes are too fast. They throw you into it without any hand-holding, so one thing that helped for me once it "clicked" was to go back and re-watch those first episodes again.

This is how I feel about Game of Thrones now too. I can tell when I eventually rewatch the show it will be a completely different experience.

Just watched the first episode of Sleepy Hollow. That is a very well-done pilot. It gives enough excitemen and a nice bit of 'mythology' to build off for future episodes (without becoming too revealing). It finds the perfect balance of humour/tension which can be incredibly difficult to pull off.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

CaptainHollywood posted:

This is how I feel about Game of Thrones now too. I can tell when I eventually rewatch the show it will be a completely different experience.

Just watched the first episode of Sleepy Hollow. That is a very well-done pilot. It gives enough excitemen and a nice bit of 'mythology' to build off for future episodes (without becoming too revealing). It finds the perfect balance of humour/tension which can be incredibly difficult to pull off.

Sleepy Hollow is awesome and you are in for one hell of a ride.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going through Family Tree on HBO right now and i'm kinda mad I didn't give it support the first time it aired. It's classic Christopher Guest and Chris O'Dowd is great in it. Why didn't people like it?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm most the way through the first season of the FX sitcom Legit. It's hit and miss but there have been a couple of really enjoyable episodes.

I'm a fan of Jim Jefferies' standup and some episodes are entirely based on his stories from that...It's a little dull, and the sitcom version of events is way less funny than the actual material. On that note, his standup makes it plain that he's a horrible human being (albeit a very funny one), but the sheer narcissism that bleeds through the show is something else. (Particularly in the episode where he proves he doesn't have to get into shape because his personal trainer can't talk to women whereas he can bang all sorts of random hotties despite his beer belly!)

Despite the bad words to say about it, I fully recommend giving episode 3 (Love) and episode 5 (Justice) a go at least.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I'm most the way through the first season of the FX sitcom Legit. It's hit and miss but there have been a couple of really enjoyable episodes.

I'm a fan of Jim Jefferies' standup and some episodes are entirely based on his stories from that...It's a little dull, and the sitcom version of events is way less funny than the actual material. On that note, his standup makes it plain that he's a horrible human being (albeit a very funny one), but the sheer narcissism that bleeds through the show is something else. (Particularly in the episode where he proves he doesn't have to get into shape because his personal trainer can't talk to women whereas he can bang all sorts of random hotties despite his beer belly!)

Despite the bad words to say about it, I fully recommend giving episode 3 (Love) and episode 5 (Justice) a go at least.

I think the supporting cast are really good in Legit, and possibly the main reason I keep watching. I'm not sure if you are not supposed to like Jim that much in it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Exploder posted:

Based on what I think I know about your preferences, pahuyuth, I think you're going to love Deadwood. Do yourself a favor and take it slow, maybe 1 or 2 episodes a day at the most, because there are only 3 seasons. I really need to check out Carnivale though, maybe I'll get on that tonight.

Carnivale is incredibly slow, but worth it for the ending.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Exploder posted:

I think most people, when viewing the show for the first time, perceive the first few episodes as "slow", and then at some point, it clicks for everyone. For me, it all clicked at about episode 7. You're a lucky bastard watching it for the first time and I really do envy you. I just recently finished my first re-watch after first watching it a few years ago, and it was almost like the first time.

The Wire clicked for me when Freamon took a break from making miniature furniture and actually contributed to the investigation. I just remember thoroughly enjoying his transition from apathetic washout to badass investigator.

Hope that's not too much of a spoiler but it happens in ep 3 and 4 so it's not like I'm ruining Hamsterdam or anything.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Tailored Sauce posted:

Carnivale is incredibly slow, but worth it for the ending.

I felt the first season was slow- but season two definitely picks up the pace.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LloydDobler posted:

The Wire clicked for me when Freamon took a break from making miniature furniture and actually contributed to the investigation. I just remember thoroughly enjoying his transition from apathetic washout to badass investigator.

Hope that's not too much of a spoiler but it happens in ep 3 and 4 so it's not like I'm ruining Hamsterdam or anything.

I think that's when he started figuring out the DNR phone code stuff. That's when I was hooked too.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Supernatural - Into the 5th season now. Much better than I expected, being on CW with two hunky guys I thought it would be more geared towards teenage girls but it's very much an adult show and very well done. In some ways I think it's better than X-files as you don't have Scully's ridiculous "amnesia", apparently forgetting monsters do exist every episode. In addition, instead of mostly monster of the week episodes like the X files, it gradually becomes a primarily serial show.

That 70's show - I started at season 2 for some reason. 2,3,4 were good, 5 there's a bit of dip in quality. There's some really poorly written shows at the end. Now watching season 1, holy crap the first 4 eps are horrible. After that it picks up but I'm just watching it for completion now, 8 seasons was too much.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

That 70's show - I started at season 2 for some reason. 2,3,4 were good, 5 there's a bit of dip in quality. There's some really poorly written shows at the end. Now watching season 1, holy crap the first 4 eps are horrible. After that it picks up but I'm just watching it for completion now, 8 seasons was too much.

Season 1 was probably my favourite. Just stop before you get to season 8, it's like the final season of Scrubs.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I finished Fringe and now I'm sad I binged it so quickly. What a stellar improvement. Seasons 3-5 are awesome and it ends so perfectly. Good on Fox for giving it that least season, even if the viewer numbers may not have warranted it. Attacking the Observer HQ with EVERY deadly virus and pathogen they've ever encountered in the series was so loving nuts in the best way possible. And I was right about the kid!

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Supernatural - Into the 5th season now.

Unless you're a real fan pretend the show ends about 5 minutes before the end of the series 5 finale. It would have been one of the best dark endings of a TV series ever, and it gets pretty patchy after that - the brooding bromance gets a bit overpowering. "Everybody Hates Hitler" from season 8 is a great mostly-stand-alone episode.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That is terrible advice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Season 1 was probably my favourite. Just stop before you get to season 8, it's like the final season of Scrubs.
The final season of Srcubs was pretty drat solid.

Unless you mean the medschool one, did they fold that into the official season 9?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

stayl posted:

Unless you're a real fan pretend the show ends about 5 minutes before the end of the series 5 finale. It would have been one of the best dark endings of a TV series ever, and it gets pretty patchy after that - the brooding bromance gets a bit overpowering. "Everybody Hates Hitler" from season 8 is a great mostly-stand-alone episode.

Basically this. The original plan was for 5 seasons, and it shows, season 6 onwards goes all over the goddamn place and, from what others have told me, it never really settles on anything close to those first five seasons.

Zedd posted:

The final season of Srcubs was pretty drat solid.

Unless you mean the medschool one, did they fold that into the official season 9?

Yeah, I meant the medschool one. I got bored past the first season or two, so I just assumed the medschool one was the last season, since that's all anyone really talked about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Basically this. The original plan was for 5 seasons, and it shows, season 6 onwards goes all over the goddamn place and, from what others have told me, it never really settles on anything close to those first five seasons.

The first two seasons are about as aimless as anything after Season 5.

Actually Season 7 is pretty tightly plotted it's just starring a major villain that the audience had never heard of before so it was "boring and no reason to care about them".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There was just a whole lot of "I'm the brother who, this time, is going to lie to my brother and be the noble sacrifice and then go cry some."

Every loving episode.

Anyway, I've started watching Chuck and it's not too bad. It kinda feels a little Pushing Daisies in tone at times, but I think I prefer the noir-ish comic style of P.D.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 29, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The first two seasons of Chuck are pretty solid. The Season 2 finale would have made an amazing series ender. Everything after that though...

At least Morgan becomes much more likable.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

The first two seasons of Chuck are pretty solid. The Season 2 finale would have made an amazing series ender. Everything after that though...

At least Morgan becomes much more likable.

I should just stop at the end of season 2? I'll do that. It's nice and cute, but it's not compelling.

vvv - Hahaha.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 30, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You will miss the rest of Sarah's scenes, where shes wearing not much.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Season 2 is unquestionably the best (I also wasn't too into it in season 1, but season 2 made me change my tune), but seasons 3 and 5 of Chuck are good. Season 4 is the low point that made most people give up, but even that had its moments.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If you like Chuck, I'd recommend trying out Reaper, which has a similar premise (except supernatural stuff instead of spies) and I'd argue it has a lot more heart.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Reaper got a lot of attention here, but I never thought it was anywhere near as good as Chuck. I didn't think it was funny at all, and the main character was absolutely pathetic.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Just completed season 1 of The Wire. The only negative thing I can say is that the ending felt so satisfying, I feel less compelled to keep binging. Is there a thread? Maybe I could make one if there's interest for a spoiler free thread like the one the Shied has now that Amazon Prime makes them so easily available.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Keep going, the next season is the best one!!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ghostwritingduck posted:

Just completed season 1 of The Wire. The only negative thing I can say is that the ending felt so satisfying, I feel less compelled to keep binging. Is there a thread? Maybe I could make one if there's interest for a spoiler free thread like the one the Shied has now that Amazon Prime makes them so easily available.

The Wire thread has so much thesis level scene by scene break down, it loving scares me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching this supernatural/crime procedural series called Forever Knight, which is kind of like Angel, except made in Canada in the early 1990s for maybe a tenth of the budget. It is entertaining enough, though. I like it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's starring Kiefer Sutherland or something, right?

Or am I just thinking about the Lost Boys?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Sutherland was in The Lost Boys; Fover Knight was Geraint Wyn Davies.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm starting Boy Meets World sometime this weekend. With the spinoff premiering late next month, I figured that I can get through it pretty quickly. Each disc averages five episodes, so I should be through it in less than two weeks (I hope).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm starting Boy Meets World sometime this weekend. With the spinoff premiering late next month, I figured that I can get through it pretty quickly. Each disc averages five episodes, so I should be through it in less than two weeks (I hope).
fa-fa-fa-FEENEY

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think a newbie thread for The Wire is a great idea. I would be very interested to see yours, and other new viewer reactions ala The Shield thread. There is a let's watch thread for The Wire here. I recently re-watched The Wire and followed along with the thread accordingly, and it's a really good read.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

LloydDobler posted:

It was Bunk and McNulty doing the crime scene for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never got the love for that scene. It's like the most overtly gimmicky/fake thing the show ever did and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

More gimmicky/fake than the slow mo shot of Avon and his top lieutenants walking around, Avon doing the drive by finger wag at Daniels, or the chess board speech, or the entirety of Brother Mouzone?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least three of them are better. And Brother Mouzone is awesome.

edit: actually the chess board speech is probably what got me into it properly

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Bown posted:

At least three of them are better. And Brother Mouzone is awesome.

edit: actually the chess board speech is probably what got me into it properly

"The king stay the king" is probably one of, if not the most important line in The Wire, in my opinion. That scene is what hooked me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Frankly, the chicken mcnugget speech is equally as important. While the notion that in the drug gang empire, you can only ever be second fiddle to the main man, I love the notion that those who have the wealth and authority will only ever exploit those who create or innovate.