Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Fix your blurb's opening sentence.
Quick, identify the following words as noun, verb, or adjective:
assault
halted
race
secure

Now read this and see if you got the answers right:

With the assault on the planet Redmond halted the United Colonies race to secure the borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

I took a lot of advice from this thread and published a second book using those suggestions. Most of the previous feedback I received was that the book appeared to be a scammy "Get Rich Quick" book instead of a story, so that's mainly what I'm trying to address. If you guys wouldn't mind, I'd like some compare and contrast feedback on the store sites to see if I'm moving in the right direction.

First Book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7KBNAY
Second Book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KI59RCO

If you guys like the second one more, then I'll change the cover and description on the first to match the style. Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: Just noticed that my top line didn't bold like I wanted it to on the store page. Do you use HTML tags to format?

Epic Doctor Fetus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 23, 2014

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

You're using [ ] instead of < > for the opening line.

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A377RPHW6ZG4D8

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Yooper posted:

You're using [ ] instead of < > for the opening line.

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A377RPHW6ZG4D8

Yeah, too much posting on SA. Heh. I made the change, but I guess it takes another 12 hours to show up. Thanks!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Edit: Just noticed that my top line didn't bold like I wanted it to on the store page. Do you use HTML tags to format?
You can also change it in AuthorCentral and it goes through faster. Just watch the spacing (AC's spacing is fuckkkkkkkked)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yooper posted:

Five months and three editors later I published my second novel! My Goon recommended Editor came through and he is awesome. Thanks Ravenkult! I owe you man.

Edge of Solace - Amazon Link

The first book in the series is getting an edit, then I'll see if Bookbub finds me a spot. The third novel is done, and will head to the editor within a few weeks. Already outlining another novel too.

Thanks thread!

I liked the typeface and the black text. I would have added a blurred white cloud behind the text to make it pop.

And can you PM me the editor? Or just post their name here?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Ok, I fixed the formatting issues.

Is the second book presented better than the first (at least in terms of story vs scam how-to)? Any other suggestions?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Not only is your blurb's formatting still messed up, but it doesn't sound interesting to me at all. I saw this for the first book:

#52 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor & Entertainment > Puzzles & Games > Gambling > Sports

I'm shocked this is actually a category.

Looking inside, the #1 book in that category sells about a copy a day. #20 sells about two a week.

I think that not only do you need to look up how to write a blurb better, but you've picked a category that really just doesn't sell. Even the best selling books in Humor > Games > Gambling sell about five copies a day. If you're looking for a broad audience for your work, you may want to focus on a different genre.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

EngineerSean posted:

Not only is your blurb's formatting still messed up, but it doesn't sound interesting to me at all. I saw this for the first book:

#52 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor & Entertainment > Puzzles & Games > Gambling > Sports

I'm shocked this is actually a category.

Looking inside, the #1 book in that category sells about a copy a day. #20 sells about two a week.

I think that not only do you need to look up how to write a blurb better, but you've picked a category that really just doesn't sell. Even the best selling books in Humor > Games > Gambling sell about five copies a day. If you're looking for a broad audience for your work, you may want to focus on a different genre.

That's a great point on the category. I didn't even think to look at that. I'll change that ASAP. Where are you looking to see how many copies they're selling?

As far as the formatting, it looks ok on my end. Are you talking about book 1 or 2 (or both)? I know book 1 needs a lot of work, so I'm mostly looking to see if I'm headed in the right direction with book 2 or if I need to completely rethink things.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Where are you looking to see how many copies they're selling?

It's an estimate based on 100000 / current sales rank.

About your blurb, here's what it looks like now:

quote:

Kill Bill almost Killed My Air Miles Scheme!

I asked David Carradine if he had an Air Miles card before I rang in his purchase. “Not on me,” he

said. “But I have enough air miles to fly back to Hollywood. How about you?” he asked seeing me

reach down into my pants pocket. This had been our on-going joke conversation for months now.

“I have enough to get 1/3 of the way to the moon,” I replied. “I’m worried if I’ll have enough to get

back.”

Is it possible to grab 130,000 Air Miles out of thin air and get away with it?

Unless you like

to read things

like this usually,

you should probably

remove all the

additional line

breaks so that it

looks good on

every device.

edit: In Author Central<br /><br />it might look like<br /><br />this, or maybe</div><div></div><div>like this, so just</div><div></div><div>remove all the garbage HTML code.

EngineerSean fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 24, 2014

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Thanks again. I fixed it through AC, although the changes seem to be taking their sweet time on the store front.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It looks better but you still have the problem with four lines of space between each paragraph.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ok, I fixed the formatting issues.

Is the second book presented better than the first (at least in terms of story vs scam how-to)? Any other suggestions?

I pulled up #2 on my iphone and the way you have it formatted totally chops off your blurb. All I get is the bold font opener. Space is at a premium when it comes to the blurb, maximize the position.

Get the juicy details upfront, if people need to click to see the good stuff, they won't.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah, I fixed the spacing issue in Author Central and it looks fine there. The store front hasn't caught up yet.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It looks "fine" as in it is formatted correctly but it still sounds completely uninteresting to me. Why should I care whether David Carradine has enough frequent flyer miles? I assume this is a book about a scam to get more frequent flyer miles but the blurb isn't quite clear about that. Also, I guess this is based on a true story(?) but you might still want to be careful about throwing around David Carradine's name, his estate might get some ideas from the Scarlet Johannsen case that went on recently against a French author who used her name.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Finally approaching the time to publish my first book after crawling through the editing process. Been about seven months, but goddamn is it satisfying to finish. I've been lurking this thread for months now and it's pretty much the only thing that got me through it.

quote:

“This is how I died. I walked into a scene from another world and disappeared without understanding a single thing.”

A single wrong turn on his way home throws university drop-out Eric Ashton into a world beyond his comprehension. In exchange for survival, he is forced into the servitude of Polaris, an organization of powerful wizards seeking to police magi hidden throughout the world. Confronted by both the overlords of the hidden world of magic and the shadows of his forgotten past, can Eric reclaim the life he once held?

Thanks thread. This is probably the most helpful community on SA.

Edit: Definitely gonna swap out the cover before I seriously launch it on recommendations from here and reformat the dialogue.

Chickenfrogman fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 25, 2014

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Chickenfrogman posted:

Finally managed to publish my first book after crawling through the editing process. Been about seven months, but goddamn is it satisfying to finish. I've been lurking this thread for months now and it's pretty much the only thing that got me through it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KJP9T26

Thanks thread. This is probably the most helpful community on SA.

Your cover is not atrocious, but it ain't great either. Looks 100% sci-fi too.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.

ravenkult posted:

Your cover is not atrocious, but it ain't great either. Looks 100% sci-fi too.

Yeah, I'm not getting any 'magic' vibe at all. An out-of-focus alien chessboard, yes. But not magic.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Chickenfrogman posted:

Finally managed to publish my first book after crawling through the editing process.

Congrats on your hard work. I'm afraid you need to work on your dialogue formatting, though. Have a look here: http://www.mrclements.com/?p=898 and pay particular attention to Point 1. Keeping everything in block paragraphs is exhausting for the reader's eye!

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Yeah, I've definitely been not fond of the cover on secondary glances. I know why I picked it and I am slightly super broke at the moment, but I am definitely interested in changing it since I can see the sci-fi complaint when it's brought up. The dialogue aspect was a stupid thing on my part, I'll get right on reformatting.

Chickenfrogman fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 25, 2014

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Chickenfrogman posted:

Yeah, I've definitely been not fond of the cover on secondary glances. I know why I picked it and I am slightly super broke at the moment, but I am definitely interested in changing it since I can see the sci-fi complaint when it's brought up. The dialogue aspect was a stupid thing on my part, I'll get right on reformatting.

I would also reconsider the lettering. It looks like three different typefaces/fonts and three different colors:

WHITE BOLD CAPITAL ITALICS
WHITE-TO-BLUE GRADIENT BOLD CAPITAL ITALICS
White normal text

BLACK CAPITAL AUTHOR ATTRIBUTION

I think having the gradient in "HORIZON" works as a representative of a horizon, but the next line is back to white so it undermines that. Consider changing the title, as there is already a book with this title on Amazon, and while it isn't fantasy, it looks more like fantasy than your cover.

Check out Edge of Solace above: it communicates a very strong theme. Just glancing at the cover I see big rear end space ships blowing each other up. The blurb identifies some characters and how they're associated with those big rear end ships blowing each other up. I'm gonna read that book if I like big rear end ships blowing each other up. Or go look at another Goon book: Hard Luck Hank. Just looking at the cover you know exactly what the book is going to be about. A lot of great creative decisions went into that cover.

Does your book have spells? Show me a dude casting a spell! Show me a gryphon flying over a city. Show me your character putting a rogue wizard in wizard jail. You have a split second to catch someone's browsing eyeball and convince them to click on your thumbnail. If you spent hundreds of hours writing your novel, give yourself dozens of hours to work on the cover/blurb/title.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
That is a fantastic post and I'm going to do a do-over on the cover with everything you just said in mind.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I popped in here to ask a pretty generic question. How the hell do you guys convince people to leave reviews on Amazon? I have stories that have sold hundreds of copies with only one review or no reviews at all. I don't even understand how that's possible.

Is there an easier way to get readers to review other than dumb luck?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

1% review rate isn't uncommon. Message people and ask for reviews in exchange for free copies - that seems to be the easiest way to get them.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I popped in here to ask a pretty generic question. How the hell do you guys convince people to leave reviews on Amazon? I have stories that have sold hundreds of copies with only one review or no reviews at all. I don't even understand how that's possible.

Is there an easier way to get readers to review other than dumb luck?

I assume you're still working erotica and I'll just say that there is no easy way. A plea at the end of the book is fairly effective but I have a book that has sold in the hundreds of thousands of copies and gave away an equal number through KDP Select free days and my ratio of purchases to reviews is something like 300:1.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, I'm with Sean (though one or two orders of magnitude off) on that one. I gave away 66,000 copies of one of my books through Bookbub and garnered less than 50 reviews for it even when soliciting them immediately after the final page. Two of them were one-stars for using the Lord's name in vain, too! :lol:

If you're going to try to get reviews, get them up front. ARC copies have a much higher rate of review than purchased copies because you're connecting personally with the reader, and because they like you enough to want to talk to you about your book in the first place. :) I sent out about 60 copies of that same book as review copies in advance of the Bookbub and got over 40 reviews from the ARC readers over the next month -- a much better return rate than Bookbub for the purpose of reviews. (Also, given the first two reviews coming out of the bookbub promo were the one-stars, those ARC reviews also softened the impact on my sales given it was a day-one release promo on bookbub. Don't ask me who I blew to get them to do that.)

For erotica, just leave a request for reviews in the back and call it a day.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'll have the new thread ready for Monday night, by the way. I've been fighting with a new dog for a week, and I intended to get it done last night right up until the dog literally broke my keyboard.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sundae posted:

I'll have the new thread ready for Monday night, by the way. I've been fighting with a new dog for a week, and I intended to get it done last night right up until the dog literally broke my keyboard.

Self-Publishing Goons: Mom, the Dog Broke My Keyboard!!!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Something Awful: Updating 'My dog ate my homework' for the 21st century.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Self-Publishing Goons: My dog ate my e-book

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Self-Publishing Goons: How do I wrote book?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Self-Publishing Goons: How do I wrote book?
No that's over in Fiction Writing.

Self-Publishing Goons: Where's My Goddamn Money?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

Self-Publishing Goons: Where's My Goddamn Money?

In my bank account :smuggo:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ravenkult posted:

In my bank account :smuggo:
Yeah well ...

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 1, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Here's a lesson on how not to respond to a review of your furry noir fiction book (see the comments): http://tidbits.com/article/14696

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Oh my god hahaha

It's barely proper to respond to reviews at all let alone that many times.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh man, the part where he says he had one of his own fictional characters do a literary analysis of his own book is just... oh gently caress, words do not exist for how amazing that is :allears:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh man, the part where he says he had one of his own fictional characters do a literary analysis of his own book is just... oh gently caress, words do not exist for how amazing that is :allears:

Not just that he had his own character write it. He "had the audacity to let" his fictional character write it. Needles to say his fictional character found his book to be a literary tour de force for the ages.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

moana posted:

Here's a lesson on how not to respond to a review of your furry noir fiction book (see the comments): http://tidbits.com/article/14696
I think the best thing was that I somehow missed the word 'furry' in your post and was reading the plot description and thinking 'poo poo, how is this bad? Sounds pretty g- wait, they're bears?'

Then I got to the comments and it reached a whole new level of special.

In other news, first erotica novella just about through editing and ready to publish. I'm nervous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Good luck and remember not to dwell on it, just write more of it. But also post it here so we can tell you what to fix.

• Locked thread