Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Scored 125 on DLAB, Nerdtown here I come

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Congrats brother, and welcome.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Have fun with a cat 4 language. I know I am. :smith:

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Half-price Wednesday was the only thing the duck had going for it and they axed it just before I left.

Also the dude playing guitar on the patio was cool

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are you talking poo poo about the Duck's bottomless mimosas? That was the best thing about the Duck.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
That was LaLa Grill, the Duck had an open air bar area so you could smoke while drinking and the route is really easy to walk.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
LaLa was the poo poo. I loved that place. The sushi pace that was in that mall was pretty good too. They had some crazy sake deals.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
The Duck had bottomless mimosas too, from 12-4 I think it was.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Internet Wizard posted:

Have fun with a cat 4 language. I know I am. :smith:

What's your poison?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Funkameleon posted:

The Duck had bottomless mimosas too, from 12-4 I think it was.

This. Also, Yama Sushi was the poo poo even if I usually ordered their teriyaki poo poo because I'm evil and hate sushi.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Professor Bling posted:

This. Also, Yama Sushi was the poo poo even if I usually ordered their teriyaki poo poo because I'm evil and hate sushi.

Yeah that was the name. Also you missed out because they had some great speciality rolls.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

ManMythLegend posted:

LaLa was the poo poo. I loved that place. The sushi pace that was in that mall was pretty good too. They had some crazy sake deals.

1 cent sake Thursdays. You read that correctly. Also $1.99 for basically half a glass of Stella w/ a shot of sake, and I'm pretty sure that poo poo was free if you bought Yama one. That motherfucker would go shot-for-shot and still make some of the best drat food.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

HellishWhiskers posted:

What's your poison?

MSA. I've got the 101 next week. The prep for this test has not been a good time.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Internet Wizard posted:

MSA. I've got the 101 next week. The prep for this test has not been a good time.

You still have a chance. Fail MSA and ask for Farsi, or fail out of DLI.

Seriously, I'm you in four years. The outlook for us Arlings is terrible now that the war's over. Like 2/10 MSA linguists end up actually using Arabic, but you will still have to DLPT every year. Good luck passing, nobody here is.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Marines aren't really given the drop into an easier language option. My first roommate here got an LoA drop earlier this year, and he's still going to end up doing almost the exact same crap in the fleet, just without a language he has to maintain proficiency in.

There's also a guy who got dropped from the Asian schoolhouse a while back who got reclassed to MP. I guess he came out ahead though because he's about to pick up corporal, which isn't something any DLI grads will be doing any time soon.

At least I didn't get Pashto.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Internet Wizard posted:

There's also a guy who got dropped from the Asian schoolhouse a while back who got reclassed to MP. I guess he came out ahead though because he's about to pick up corporal, which isn't something any DLI grads will be doing any time soon.

So...he went from fat retard to fat useless retard buddy fucker?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Assholes aren't really given the drop into an easier language option. My first roommate here got an LoA drop earlier this year, and he's still going to end up doing almost the exact same crap in the fleet, just without a language he has to maintain proficiency in.

At least I didn't get Pashto.

You're an MSA marine? If you pass there's a 50% chance I'm going to be your ops lead when you get to Co D. Do me a favor and study some dialect in your spare time. More money for you with the extra DLPTs, you're also more useful and I have to spend less time training you.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah, I've already started cross-studying with a Levantine that started class at the same time as me, when we can.

I'm fully aware of how pointless MSA is compared to pretty much any dialect, but at least I'll have a retarded amount of college credits when I'm done here.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah, I've already started cross-studying with a Levantine that started class at the same time as me, when we can.

I'm fully aware of how pointless MSA is compared to pretty much any dialect, but at least I'll have a retarded amount of college credits when I'm done here.

Yeah you can get a BA in Communications, if that's your thing, pretty easily. But be aware that there isn't much in the way of colleges to finish your education that are also TA affordable out here so have a plan.

Levantine is a lot more important than Iraqi, if you can swing a 1+ or a 2 in Levantine it'll save your life. Seriously. Coming here with just MSA is a recipe for misery, because you're right, you are useless without a dialect. So they'll take you and throw you into a non-linguist shop after 5 weeks of training you for it, essentially making the two years of training you've had up to that point entirely pointless.

But if you have Levantine, really or even Iraqi, a case can be made that you're better than that. It's a stupid system, but it's how it works here and despite IG complaints over the span of the last 8 years for wasted resources (literally tens of thousands of dollars in training AFTER you leave DLI you never use) they haven't changed it.

If you can get your hands on Yemeni material, study the hell out of that. There's no DLPT, only an OPI. Find a Yemeni teacher and talk to him in your spare (HA) time. Yemeni is a golden ticket, you literally write your own salary when you're out of the service, and while you're in you get the best opportunities. If you have any questions feel free to get back at me. There's a dialect book, I think it's from CASL, that I know some of the schools like ME2 give out in the third semester. Try to get your hands on that or ask an MLI, they should know what I'm talking about. Which ME are you in?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

How does taking the OPI work in the fleet? I've been told it's not something that ever really happens. Or are you saying to try to OPI in Yemeni while I'm here? Right now they're having us sep the week we graduate, I'm hoping they'll go back to having graduates spend a bit in holding platoon so I can try to study dialects more or maybe enjoy this town that NCOs keep saying is so great.

I'm in ME1, I'm pretty good friends with some MSAs in ME2 so I could probably get the Yemeni stuff through them if they're still handing those things out.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Analogical fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 22, 2016

Atall
May 23, 2012
It's good to be back in Monterey.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
To anyone who has the AA, is it worth it? I've got some but not all of the required extra classes and can probably get the remainder from DANTES, but would it matter? I don't have any degree currently.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
It's one of the cheapest degrees you'll ever get. Do it.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
It'll look good on your initial performance report equivalent. Even if you don't get it now, you're still eligible as long as you're in the employ of the federal government somehow. So if you use your GI bill, and get a paid internship over the summer with whatever agency, you can get it. Same if you just end up going federal. At the end of the day, it's free except for the paperwork. Why not?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Protip: once you have the degree, get a few copies of sealed official transcripts before you leave DLI. If you try to get them later, it's still free but takes no poo poo 8 weeks.

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012

moodyhank31 posted:

Starting Pashto tomorrow. Issued a brand new Ipad and MacBook Pro today. Phased up on Tuesday. A lot of weird people here. Someone in my Phase IV platoon was telling me all about being a Wiccan. Spirit animals and poo poo...

Haven't been on SA in a while do I thought I'd update. Finished in early May.

3/3/1+.

Going to Wiesbaden,Germany after I finish this last little bit of time Western Texas TRADOCdom.

It worked out pretty well for me honestly. I'll always think fondly of my time in Monterey. Being PT exempt the whole time didn't hurt. Glad the Army has that there. Before the rules came down last June, it truly was the military's version of heaven for 4 months for me. Still wasn't so bad for the rest of my time there.

Good luck y'all.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
There's no reason not to get the degree, get the degree.
I'd say it's BS you Pashto linguists get a chance to go to Germany while us Farsi rot here in the states, but one of the guys in my class is going to Wiesbaden, apparently all he did was call branch or some poo poo. I keep telling everyone here in Texas that my going to Ft. Campbell is gonna be great compared to their intel sperg bases, but deep down I know I'm gonna be painting rocks and pulling weeds with $800 in FLPB every month.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I end up spending ~$2-300 month on hotels. This has only gotten worse with tourist season. Those people who've been through here... Is this basically the required stupid, desperate lovers institute tax on relationships or did you guys just bang out your air force princess on the beach?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

reptileintheswamp posted:

I end up spending ~$2-300 month on hotels. This has only gotten worse with tourist season. Those people who've been through here... Is this basically the required stupid, desperate lovers institute tax on relationships or did you guys just bang out your air force princess on the beach?

Nail locals, stay at their place.

Also wrap up, you don't want what they have.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Some of the navy girls have individual rooms too

Once again wrap it up

Joke answer: get married

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think the general best idea in any military concentration area is screw locals, use protection, and don't form lasting relationships.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
You should be studying instead of screwing :chiefsay:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Make her pay for the hotel.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Mandatory zero hour, mandatory seventh, there's only so much squiggle squiggle dot dot my brain can process. .....redacted..... My GPA has dropped a quarter point in the last six months because of [laziness]

GREAT SATAN fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 7, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was going to say something about deglamorizing alcohol, but there's nothing glamorous about your life. :smith:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

reptileintheswamp posted:

Mandatory zero hour, mandatory seventh, there's only so much squiggle squiggle dot dot my brain can process. I've gone from nightly studying and living a monk's life to being a total degenerate drinking $5 piss water at the hob and going on committing regular acts of public indecency. My GPA has dropped a quarter point in the last six months of this

Should I care, goons??

Care about what? Upholding our fine GIP standards? Absolutely.

About being an alcoholic and letting booze/reality affect your grades? Eh.... How much sperg do you have?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Consider the difference in FLPP between 2/2 and 3/3, but also consider the fact that after you leave no one will ever care about your grades in the course ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What better way to have more fun in an emergency drill than to turn it into an actual amergency! Whee bomb threats. Nothing new, I had like six in high school.

• Locked thread