Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

And a second question, anything look promising for the summer yet?

Shinichiro Watanabe has a new show coming called Terror in Tokyo/Terror in Resonance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONnhZEnvaNA

Guyver fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

C.M. Kruger posted:

Since the season is about three quarters done, anything that I'm "missing out on"? I'm watching Chaika, JoJo, Sidonia no Kishi and Love Live right now.

Besides what's already been mentioned, Haikyuu is good.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

You must watch Ping Pong and Mushishi.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's the second half of Space Dandy, along with the new thing Watanabe is doing that has already been mentioned.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the Barakamon anime airing in summer? I haven't been keeping up, just knew it was getting one at some point and was looking forward to it.

edit: stopped being lazy and googled to answer my own question, it is yay :dance:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 1, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://twitter.com/stella_c3bu/statuses/472617254694424576
Apparently there's going to be some C3-bu announcement soon?
Seeing as the anime sold so badly the manga was cancelled I've got no idea what the gently caress they could have to announce.

I only got interested in that show when images were made with quotes from Spec Ops: The Line. If the new material is as outright stupid as the original, I'm all for it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Going to recommend One Week Friends for when you want pure fluff in an anime.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Since the season is about three quarters done, anything that I'm "missing out on"? I'm watching Chaika, JoJo, Sidonia no Kishi and Love Live right now.

The sports anime (Haikyuu and Baby Steps) this season is really good if you've any interest at all there. Mekaku City Actors is visually/cinematrophically pretty wonderful - the story sorta hops around confusingly every time they introduce a new plot but it all fits together, you just gotta give things a few episodes for the pieces to fall into place.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://twitter.com/stella_c3bu/statuses/472617254694424576
Apparently there's going to be some C3-bu announcement soon?
Seeing as the anime sold so badly the manga was cancelled I've got no idea what the gently caress they could have to announce.

My prediction is that the makers of the show are going to apologize for existing, ritually disembowel themselves, then meticulously spell out "Watch Sabagebu" in their entrails before peacefully expiring.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's your Patema Inverted thread.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

Persona 4 Golden The Animation and Sailor Moon should be pretty good. They both start in July.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
There's also Nanana's Buried Treasure of you want to watch Anime High School Indiana Jones

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

There's also Nanana's Buried Treasure of you want to watch Anime High School Indiana Jones

It is really more like a dumber version of phi brain than indiana jones.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Dumber, looser and less homoerotic than Phi Brain.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Nanana's biggest problem is it suffers really obviously from being a LN adaptation. Every 4 episodes it throws out whatever story it had going and then starts over a new story out of nowhere and the pacing just seems really weird and messy. The last episode was, like, episode 9 and it spent the entire episode introducing a new character to everyone else in sequence.

It has some great points too, but they really needed to put some more thought into adapting the individual novels into a cohesive whole.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Is Love Live the show about a bunch of High School girls becoming idols in order to get enough moolah to save their school? Was that show really that good?

The show is very lighthearted, fun and not "creepy" or anything like that. It doesn't really do anything special, but what it does it does pretty well in my opinion. The characters are likable and as mentioned few times in this thread, when one of the girls tries to act eye/ear bleedingly cute other characters are pretty much "could you not?".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is it possible to be dumber than Phi Brain?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
JoJo is basically the only thing worth watching this season, :dealwithit: nerds

(also Knights of Sidonia but if you don't live in Japan you're using :filez: to watch it and that's not cool)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

2nd season of Buddy Complex has been confirmed for the Fall season, meaning that there's a half year gap between a show that really should not have been a split season in the first place because dang barely anything happened in the first season until the last episode.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
There's been some speculation suggesting it's not necessarily a full second season but a special broadcast or something to that effect in order to wrap things up, but at this point I wouldn't really be able to tell if that's actually the case.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wielder posted:

There's been some speculation suggesting it's not necessarily a full second season but a special broadcast or something to that effect in order to wrap things up, but at this point I wouldn't really be able to tell if that's actually the case.

I can easily see that happening because it sure didn't set the world on fire or anything. The sales have been rather poor and as far as I can tell they're not really having a lot of luck with merch either. I can't say I'd blame Sunrise if they went that route.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Buddy Complex may have been the dullest thing I've ever seen, boring robots and a plot that seemed to think it had 50-odd episodes to work with, instead of 12.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think a good way to describe that season is: what if Mobile Suit Gundam aired today and the end of season 1 was White Base landing on Earth.

The characters were standard as heck and you could probably watch the first 2 and last 2 episodes and not be lost in any meaningful way (I guess they had the Gundam SEED island episode in the middle of that, but heck they mostly faffed about with that).

At least the action was fairly slick. Orange's CG work is miles ahead of pretty much everyone else.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 2, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Srice posted:

2nd season of Buddy Complex has been confirmed for the Fall season, meaning that there's a half year gap between a show that really should not have been a split season in the first place because dang barely anything happened in the first season until the last episode.

They absolutely had to stop airing it then because it was made by Sunrise Studio 8, who are making Love Live, which was confirmed for April months before Buddy Complex was even announced.

The real question is why it even aired in January instead of just being later in the year.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

No it's not, but it is rather... confused. It isn't entirely sure what it wants to be and ends up trying to be everything all at once, so all of its great ideas end up a jumbled mess of "something is happening, but I don't know what."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

No it's not, but it is rather... confused. It isn't entirely sure what it wants to be and ends up trying to be everything all at once, so all of its great ideas end up a jumbled mess of "something is happening, but I don't know what."

Phi brain is dumb as hell, but it knows what it is and can tell a coherent story. Nanana is not written any better, but it is a whole lot less coherent. So yeah, I'd say it is a dumber 'urban puzzle-based dungeon' story than phi brain. Maybe the light novels are completely different and very good not just by comparison, but on their own merits. That isn't very likely given that we are talking about light novels, of course. However, this is a discussion about the anime.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phi brain is dumb as hell, but it knows what it is and can tell a coherent story. Nanana is not written any better, but it is a whole lot less coherent. So yeah, I'd say it is a dumber 'urban puzzle-based dungeon' story than phi brain. Maybe the light novels are completely different and very good not just by comparison, but on their own merits. That isn't very likely given that we are talking about light novels, of course. However, this is a discussion about the anime.

Coherent Phi Brain might be, but it is also incredibly dumb to the point of being amusing, a la Valverave. Nanana doesn't come close. But, it has its merits all ground up in a giant mess; they're still there, but lost in the incoherence.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I've dropped Nanana after episode 7 cause its too busy prematurely dropping every good story development it begins.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I've dropped Nanana after episode 7 cause its too busy prematurely dropping every good story development it begins.

I put it on thin ice after the utter banality of episode 8 (Yay 22 minutes of redundant introductions!) but honestly I'm only watching three shows as it is, It'll take a lot for me to drop anything else. Can we get summer season to start early this year?

Nanana is frustrating, because it does have those glimmers of quality and fun characters but I've never seen a show lurch around haphazardly the way it does. It has all these great characters and set-ups that it keeps dropping or putting in the backseat every three episodes to chase some arbitrary new shiny. Even if it's a flaw of the LN you'd think the people doing the anime would have tried to smooth things out a little.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Pretty much every anime I've seen that was based on an LN has pacing problems.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

JoJo is basically the only thing worth watching this season, :dealwithit: nerds

(also Knights of Sidonia but if you don't live in Japan you're using :filez: to watch it and that's not cool)

Anyone not watching Mushishi is a big dumb baby.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

And the ones that don't tend to not be a 100% accurate scene for scene adaption of the source material. There's a reason why pacing in novels is different than pacing in a tv show!

The example I love to bring up is Gundam Unicorn. Its first episode covered *two* books. That just goes to show how much fluff they cut out! (Granted it was a 50 minute episode but even then that means 1 book for a normal length episode)

KoB posted:

Anyone not watching Mushishi is a big dumb baby.

This and also Ping Pong.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

The Monkey Man posted:

Oregairu (Yahari Ore Seishun etc etc) has pretty fantastic pacing by virtue of ruthlessly cutting out everything that isn't relevant or important. They adapted six volumes in twelve episodes, and it's a much tighter story as a result.

Also has a second season coming up. More people should watch it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Monkey Man posted:

Srice posted:

And the ones that don't tend to not be a 100% accurate scene for scene adaption of the source material. There's a reason why pacing in novels is different than pacing in a tv show!

I felt like Log Horizon had both good pacing and near 100% accurate scene adaptations of the source material; the first season stopped at a logical point (end of vol. 5) and already looking forward to the second season, which may be a little tougher to pace since the next two novels occur simultaneously.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil is a Part-Timer was based on a LN too, wasn't it?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

glomkettle posted:

The Devil is a Part-Timer was based on a LN too, wasn't it?

Yes, also the prime example of "How the gently caress is that good?"

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
One of my favourite shows was a LN adaptation, Kino's Journey.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

unpronounceable posted:

One of my favourite shows was a LN adaptation, Kino's Journey.

Mine as well, Slayers.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

MadHat posted:

Yes, also the prime example of "How the gently caress is that good?"

Eh, I think Bakemonogatari is the king of "bafflingly good in the face of all common sense" LN adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Eh, I think Bakemonogatari is the king of "bafflingly good in the face of all common sense" LN adaptations.

SHAFT knew exactly how to handle it from the start, and their formula hasn't changed at all throughout the series.

• Locked thread