Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fenarisk posted:

It's getting past that fine line of not giving a poo poo or wanting to keep watching because any character you care about is killed off anyway.

You cared about Jeoffry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vehementi posted:

??? Go watch it, he gets up, he's kneeling over Oberyn. Upon rewatch he actually lifts Oberyn's entire body over him and to the other side, with one arm, then fully gets up onto his knees and speaks a few sentences with a popped lung and a giant hole in his chest.

But yeah. Wizards and dragons. Makes it all really believable and well written :allears:

The spear went through the mountains lower torso, and he was clearly on a massive adrenaline rush.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

I said come in! posted:

You didn't pay attention to the episode at all. There was so much amazing writing tonight, and it's sad that all of it flew over your head.

No poo poo, it's not like Jon Snow was quickly betrayed and murdered, following the deaths of both Ned and Rob. It was the Red Viper, a supporting character. His death is not predictable writing when it has huge consequences for Tyrion's future. If Tyrion evaded a death sentence for a second time through a trial by combat, then that would be boring and lovely writing.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
HOLY poo poo I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You cared about Jeoffry?

My friend stopped watching after Joffrey died, not because he loved him, but at some point his loathing for the little poo poo became his primary investment.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You cared about Jeoffry?

Nobody cared about Joffrey. I would have liked to see him abused and humiliated before he died though. Theon style, and Cersei, gently caress Cersei, if anyone deserves a brutal death its her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HardKase posted:

HOLY poo poo I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.

Oberyn also didn't see it coming, and now he never will!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fenarisk posted:

It's getting past that fine line of not giving a poo poo or wanting to keep watching because any character you care about is killed off anyway.

Yeah, I'm almost more disappointed than entertained at this point. I couldn't get through season 1 of The Shield for very similar reasons (The Shield, a (corrupt) cop drama).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patrice Bergeron, a player for the Bruins, played a whole hockey game with a punctured lung.

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out
Man, that fight at the end was really mind-blowing.
:v:

Seriously though, I hope to god that Tyrion gets out of this somehow. Or at least goes down swinging and takes some folks with him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Here lies Prince Oberyn, got caught monologuing.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bronn's gonna bust Tyrion out and then Tyrion's gonna go live at The Only Inn in the Entire Riverlands with Hotpie.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Patrice Bergeron, a player for the Bruins, played a whole hockey game with a punctured lung.

He did have a shitload of studded leather and mail on but that last flying stab to the chest and subsequent yank made it look like he was down for the count. The Michael Myers popup was pretty bad.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Why do I watch this stupid loving show I'm so mad

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On one hand, it's predictable GRRM poo poo to see Oberyn die so soon after being introduced, but on the other hand, it's a refreshing change to see the "you killed my father... prepare to die" bit met with grisly end. That'll teach you to not drive a spear through the guy's face when you've got the chance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bronn: Maybe I could beat him. Keep my distance, tire him out, pick my shots carefully.... but one mistake and I'm dead. I won't take that chance.
Tyrion: :smith:
Oberyn: I will be your Champion!
Tyrion: :unsmith:

Once again we see why Bronn is the smartest guy on the show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Let's not kid ourselves, pretty much everyone on this show deserves to die.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
God. Dammit.

I finished it half an hour ago and I'm still sick to my stomach. Just loving brutal. Between just the goriness of the death and Ellaria screaming, that scene just killed me.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

No More Heroes posted:

He did have a shitload of studded leather and mail on but that last flying stab to the chest and subsequent yank made it look like he was down for the count. The Michael Myers popup was pretty bad.

Another hockey player literally came back from the dead and wanted to be put back in the game. That's real Michael Myers poo poo

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

No More Heroes posted:

If anyone's allowed a Michael Meyers moment it's the loving Mountain.

Besides, the details of the fight aren't even the point. Oberyn died because of his grudge. Tyrion is now hosed. Tywin could only manage an incredibly pyrrhic victory, signifying everything slipping through his fingers. These are the things that matter, not if a man could really do what the Mountain did.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, pretty much everyone on this show deserves to die.

I was digging Ygritte last season but her rear end got really brutal too. Although she did let Gilly and the babby live :unsmith:

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

ultramiraculous posted:

God. Dammit.

I finished it half an hour ago and I'm still sick to my stomach. Just loving brutal. Between just the goriness of the death and Ellaria screaming, that scene just killed me.

Ellaria screaming made me so sad. I had to leave the room.

On the plus side, we won't have to hear stupid Inigo Montoya references from viewers for the 100000000 time much longer.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
You guys complaining about The Mountain are ridiculous. Any war you could point to contains tons of stories of men with greater injuries performing greater physical feats than that.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I once read about an Indian who made a suicidal charge wherein a grenade blast tore half his face off and set him on fire, and he continued charging while on fire and with a skull face to successfully lob a grenade into an enemy bunker before finally getting shot somewhere that would stop him: his brain. Adrenaline's a hell of a drug.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No More Heroes posted:

I was digging Ygritte last season but her rear end got really brutal too. Although she did let Gilly and the babby live :unsmith:

Yea she let the inbred wildling live, but killed potato dad so she deserves to die :colbert:

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Na'at posted:

Another hockey player literally came back from the dead and wanted to be put back in the game. That's real Michael Myers poo poo

Seriously has anyone in the entire series yet been so propped up as "DO NOT gently caress WITH THIS DUDE" so heavy handedly and it turns out... yeah do not gently caress with that dude? He should not hosed with that dude.

Did he not watch wrestling? You showboat AFTER you beat the other dude. Not when stabbed pretty bad yet he's the Fantasy Incredible Hulk.

Nohman fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 2, 2014

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Besides, the details of the fight aren't even the point.

Absolutely, with fuzzy goggles this is great writing or whatever. Just when watching the scene I'm like "lol ok". When you zoom back out and gloss over the details there's exciting poo poo to come.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

A friend linked this to me after I watched it on Go. I wanna laugh but Oberyn... :sigh:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea she let the inbred wildling live, but killed potato dad so she deserves to die :colbert:

While the wildlings were all north of the Wall it was all "why are you southerners so mean to us?" :mad:

I'm starting to see why some might be prejudiced against wildlings, now.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

While the wildlings were all north of the Wall it was all "why are you southerners so mean to us?" :mad:

I'm starting to see why some might be prejudiced against wildlings, now.

Dolorous Edd actually had some pretty cool lines too!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm surprised they added Moat Caitlin to the intro credits, considering they came and left in a couple of scenes. I guess we're heading back?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Na'at posted:

That's Richard Zednik.

He came back to life and took off towards the coach to beg not to be pulled out of the game, but a whole bunch of people grabbed him and forced him off the ice.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vanderdeath posted:

A friend linked this to me after I watched it on Go. I wanna laugh but Oberyn... :sigh:

That is brilliant.

A great fight scene. It's too bad the viper had to die.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm surprised they added Moat Caitlin to the intro credits, considering they came and left in a couple of scenes. I guess we're heading back?

That or they wanted to re-establish where it's located.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
On rewatch, I really like how Jaime points out that there's no word for cousin killing.

Killing your cellmate though, that's just plain survival.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

The Boltons seem to be heading towards Winterfell so they probably won't be going back.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Dammit. I keep thinking, 'Why couldn't it have been Daaario instead?' Daario for Oberyn is such a lovely trade.

I only hope Pedro Pascal gets more tv/movie roles out of this. He was phenomenal.

BubbleGoose fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 2, 2014

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
On second watch all I hear is Oberyn doing his best Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vanderdeath posted:

That scream made the shot. We've seen lots of horrific violence now and expect the likable guy to die but she really raised it to another level.

Also the teeth plinking all over the patio with one punch :stonk:

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

They've been really bad with their intros this season, and I can't understand why. Locations don't appear in the episode they are prominent and appear in episodes they don't feature in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

RIP only cool character left in King's Landing.

• Locked thread