Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

univbee posted:

10 PM on a Sunday? I need sleep! :negative:

Sleep is for the weak! Stay strong, brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Sleep is for the weak! Stay strong, brother!

I already finished my first Daily Challenge. What's your excuse? :colbert:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
This is basically the best day ever.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I must be dumb as hell, the patch file isn't applying for me

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Gutcruncher posted:

This is basically the best day ever.
You're not loving kidding... I just beat the Wiz-Man challenges and I'm absolutely loving this already. I just wish I could find my DS Lite and flash card (which is the main reason why I still have my DS Lite despite having a 3DS) so I can play it on the actual system, but at least playing it via emulator isn't as bad as I was expecting aside from the static-y voices. :)

Today is easily one of the best days to be a GCCX fan. :)

Phuzzy posted:

Assuming you read the readme that came with the patch, maybe you have a bad ROM file or something (although I assume every version of the ROM out there is more or less the same one)? :confused:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm really enjoying GCCX2, I didn't realize how much I was missing with the localization of the first game. Arino shouting stuff constantly really completes the experience.

Phuzzy posted:

Make sure you use the release of xdelta on the translation website. I downloaded the newest version of xdelta by mistake, and couldn't get it to work.

Obeast posted:

You're not loving kidding... I just beat the Wiz-Man challenges and I'm absolutely loving this already. I just wish I could find my DS Lite and flash card (which is the main reason why I still have my DS Lite despite having a 3DS) so I can play it on the actual system, but at least playing it via emulator isn't as bad as I was expecting aside from the static-y voices. :)

Are you using Demume? I had to change the synchronous mode to get the Arino clips to sound good.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Broseph Brostar posted:

Are you using Demume? I had to change the synchronous mode to get the Arino clips to sound good.
Thank you for the tip! Now the voices sound clear as ever (although I'm still gonna find my DS Lite and flash card so I can finally play RGC2 in English on my DS, which I never thought would be possible in my lifetime). :)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Well I feel like Arino already, was supposed to clear floor 4 on Wiz-Man and instead stumbled into a level skip. :negative:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kanfy posted:

Well I feel like Arino already, was supposed to clear floor 4 on Wiz-Man and instead stumbled into a level skip. :negative:

I did this, but it wasn't on accident. It'll totally count as beating floor 4 if I warp to 5, right? :downs:

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

drat, no matter what I try, I cant get that patch to stick.
Ive basically tried all the methods I have seen mentioned online, as well as on 2 different computers and the best result I got was a file that was was only 1.5 mb. Its like the XDelta program doesn't wanna run for me for whatever reason
Anyone else out there experience anything similar?
I am gonna give it another go tomorrow, but until then :bang:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SuperMarrio posted:

drat, no matter what I try, I cant get that patch to stick.

Yeah, I select both the patch and the game in the patcher and hit patch. The program kinda freezes for a second and then unfreezes, I then load the game up only to find that nothing has happened. No feedback, no nothing so I have gently caress all to go on here. Tried a different version of XDELTA which at least had the decency to spit an error in my face about INVALID INPUT but still no actual success.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
If it works it should create another file in the same directory that's smaller than the original since it also crops the ROM, try hitting the "patch game" button a second time since it seemed it didn't do anything the first time around when I tried it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

AnotherGamer posted:

If it works it should create another file in the same directory that's smaller than the original since it also crops the ROM, try hitting the "patch game" button a second time since it seemed it didn't do anything the first time around when I tried it.

Tried it a few times, still just nothing. No new file is created, nothing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Are you running Xdelta as an administrator?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The RGC2 patch is out?!

You guys are the best. :unsmith:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are you running Xdelta as an administrator?

I was not. Tried it, but still nothing. I appreciate the help, though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Make sure you are using the specific release of Xdelta on the patch website, that's the only version that will work. Supposedly it will help if you put the patch and the ROM in the same folder as Xdelta.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Make sure you are using the specific release of Xdelta on the patch website, that's the only version that will work. Supposedly it will help if you put the patch and the ROM in the same folder as Xdelta.

Yep, did both of these initially. Tried it again anyway, nothing.

I have both the xDelta GUI.exe and the xdelta.exe itself set to run in administrator mode, tried it with admin tried it without, tried it with one in admin and one without etc, both .exe's are in the same folder as the ROM and the patch. I've tried pointlessly loving around with Compatibility Modes and am using the specific version of xDelta from the patch website. Tried redownloading the patch, redownloading the xdelta, trying a different ROM etc. Still the program does nothing more than seemingly stop for a second as if actually doing something (as in, I can't click the minimize or close buttons during this period) and then control comes back but absolutely nothing has actually been done.

It's really frustrating how the thing won't even spit out an error message to help because I'm just stuck here trying random poo poo with no direction.

EDIT: I gave up and tried a completely different computer running Windows 8 which worked without any fiddling whatsoever. Still didn't provide any actual confirmation that something had happened, but it did happen.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 2, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Only thing I can think of at this point is some kind of write permissions issue. Total shot in the dark, but try creating a folder on the root of your C drive (or use a TEMP folder if there's already one there). I'm pretty sure xdelta GUI just runs a commandline program, if you run the commandline directly with the right switches it might actually give you a useful error message if it's still not working.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

Only thing I can think of at this point is some kind of write permissions issue. Total shot in the dark, but try creating a folder on the root of your C drive (or use a TEMP folder if there's already one there). I'm pretty sure xdelta GUI just runs a commandline program, if you run the commandline directly with the right switches it might actually give you a useful error message if it's still not working.

That did it, thanks :D

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

univbee posted:

Only thing I can think of at this point is some kind of write permissions issue. Total shot in the dark, but try creating a folder on the root of your C drive

Even though I got mine working through different means, for the hell of it I tried this also and what do you know it also worked. You're brilliant.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Kanfy posted:

I did this except the level skipped me to level 4.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Man, this is a great day. Takes me right back to the winter of 2009 when I got the original Retro Game Challenge. I ended up clearing Cosmic Gate and Haggleman. In the cold. It was glorious and this is just as glorious.

Many thanks to all the folks who pitched in to make this possible. Dreams have come true.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Is it me or is the site down?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Looks good to me.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Weird. When I try to go to http://www.gccxpatch.com/, my browser just tells me that it can't find the server.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Weird. When I try to go to http://www.gccxpatch.com/, my browser just tells me that it can't find the server.

Seems fine on my end. Try another browser?

Also, try this link to check if the site's down for just you or if it's just flat out down (it works for any site you give it!)

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

It appears to just be me, but I have no idea why. I've tried on several browsers on two computers, and still no luck. Maybe I'll just get someone to download the patch for me and copy/paste the instructions.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

It appears to just be me, but I have no idea why. I've tried on several browsers on two computers, and still no luck. Maybe I'll just get someone to download the patch for me and copy/paste the instructions.

I've been having a similar problem, the site just times out. I haven't been able to get through to it at all. I posted a direct link to the 1.0 patch a bit back, however apparently the 1.0.1 patch just got released.

Edit:

If anyone could post the link to the 1.0.1 download I'd appreciate it.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kind of hilarious to see that young Arino and his mom both think you're a boy, regardless.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Viscous Soda posted:

If anyone could post the link to the 1.0.1 download I'd appreciate it.

I uploaded it to mediafire. https://www.mediafire.com/?fu6dinwnk453h3x

It sucks that the patch site doesn't seem to work for some people. Maybe it's ISP related?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

It sucks that the patch site doesn't seem to work for some people. Maybe it's ISP related?

I'm guessing so, my local ISP has always been kinda wonky. Thanks for the link.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Can I apply the patch over a 1.0 patched rom or will that gently caress up the game?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Kind of hilarious to see that young Arino and his mom both think you're a boy, regardless.

Why would you play anything other than a boy named Hamaguchi?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I did a bunch (not all) of the dialogue with Young Arino and others, but I knew there was still a lot of stuff that had to be translated.

Pretty much the rest of that was edited by me, so you can blame me for things like "knowledge bomb."

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Zeether posted:

Can I apply the patch over a 1.0 patched rom or will that gently caress up the game?

Should work but if you want to be safe, use it on a clean one.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Huh, suddenly I can't get it to work either. I got it to work for 1.0 and already played up to Guadia Quest, but now that I wanted to apply the 1.0.1 it didn't work anymore. I'll have to try simply using the command line version, maybe that'll work.

EDIT: Right, seems like writing over an already patched version doesn't work, as there seems to be a file size mismatch.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck
Thanks, all, for making the Arino's Challenge 2 patch a reality.

Any ideas how to get the patching to work on a MacBook? I don't have a Windows PC in the house, but I *do* have my hard copy of the DS game and the requisite ripping software, so I'd love to finally understand just what the hell is going on in the Detective Arino game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

univbee posted:

Wow, this was the solution for me. Took all of 5 seconds on my old XP laptop, once the folder was populated on root.
Thanks! I am looking forward to this so much!!