Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Wait, isn't Cersei's daughter being held by Oberyn's people? What's to stop them from deciding they aren't happy with the whole skull crushing business and lopping the princess's head off?

Nothing, but they are not likely to do that because trial by combat is considered totally legit and fair. You step into that arena if you accept that you might die. Any royal family in Westero's will understand this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

NomChompsky posted:

Also what's up with sansa's awkward goth phase?
Looked an awful lot like Catelyn, didn't she? It was basically her one-upping the everloving gently caress out of Littlefinger.

Sansa: I know what you want, Littlefinger.
Littlefinger: Do you now? :smug:
Sansa: Yes, you want me, because my mother's dead so you can't have her, and I'm basically the younger, sexier version of her. So I'm going to dye my hair to her color and flaunt the hell out of this dress. Now who's :smug:, motherfucker?
Littlefinger: Oh poo poo

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so maybe I'm just a clueless babby, but that was Winterfell the happy Bolton family were headed toward, right?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If the Lannisters are hosed, then the Boltons are double-hosed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

paperchaseguy posted:

Jorah is going to ride in to Tyrion's rescue any second now

Not before he goes to the wall for his sword :clint:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jorah was pretty drat vital in keeping Danaerys alive throughout the first seasons, but she did just find out he was hanging around her from the start to spy on her for her enemies. And even though he at one point decided to switch sides, he rather foolishly tried to save face by suggesting the pardon was a plot by Tywin Lannister. He might've stood a better chance if he confessed the whole thing at once (probably not), but he really screwed himself here, it's not Dany doing a dumb thing.

Come to think of it, was this Tywin's plot, from when he had his hot little secretary Mace Tyrell take a letter?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I loved when Arya started laughed her rear end off at the Hound when they were told her aunt died.

It certainly would have been my reaction. When things are just mindblowingly hosed, I start to laugh. I'm sure if I were her, the situation in general, plus the sheer amount of schadenfreude you'd git from looking at the Hound's face at that moment, would just be so unbelievable that you'd have to laugh.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, it's only shocking when someone the audience loves dies if any of the characters the audience roots for succeeds. Nobody has gotten a break since like the beginning of season 3, and I'm just kind of numb now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pomp posted:

You know, it's only shocking when someone the audience loves dies if any of the characters the audience roots for succeeds. Nobody has gotten a break since like the beginning of season 3, and I'm just kind of numb now.

In the order of "where are we at relative to the end of the series" we're at Empire Strikes Back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

In the order of "where are we at relative to the end of the series" we're at Empire Strikes Back.

What a joy it will be when we arrive at the Ewoks.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I'm surprised no one else noticed that Tyrion told Oberyn to wear a helmet just before he went in.

Also, as someone who ~READ THE BOOKS~ (as you should too) and knew he was going to die, I was still really put off by the whole scene, partially because of the cartoony head popping, but 99% due to his screaming. I had to spend an hour trying to convince my girlfriend to keep watching the series with me.

But honestly, those who are going to continue with the show, get used the the fact that GRRM likes pissing off his fans. And don't get too attached to anyone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

What a joy it will be when we arrive at the Ewoks.

Crazy cannabalistic dwarves taking down walkers? :)

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

Crazy cannabalistic dwarves taking down walkers? :)

I'm picturing micro-Thenns running around screaming and murdering people, and it's glorious.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Monoliths posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so maybe I'm just a clueless babby, but that was Winterfell the happy Bolton family were headed toward, right?
Yup!

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Loved the scenes with Sansa and look forward to her progression. Regarding the fight, my feels :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Bobo the Red posted:

The most shocking thing I learned from this thread is that large numbers of people like Daenerys. Arya I get, because she's becoming an icecold killer, but Dany? She got gifted dragons and armies, and talks non-ironically about "the usurper" when her dumb family stormed into Westeros with a huge deus ex machina fairly recently and hosed everything up (and legalized regal incest), and about her brother's claim, even though her brother was an idiot she doesn't even like. At least she could acknowledge that under the old Targaryen rules, her only shot at the throne would've been on his lap.

And now she's sent off the only guy who keeps her from doing insane things. Gonna go great!

Maybe Tyrion can go meet up with her and teach her dragons what Cersei looks like. Only way they redeem those things is if one of them eats her.
Seriously. Dany is the most annoying character IMO, she's just so :smug: for someone that doesn't have a clue what they're doing. If any other character was that smug they'd be dead within the season (see Robb and Oberyn) but she gets a pass because her dragons are going to have some plot significance. I think her winning in the end would be the most annoying outcome for me, and yet she has as good a chance as anyone because of her dragons and inexplicable popularity :(

Max
Nov 30, 2002

hiddenmovement posted:

Wait, isn't Cersei's daughter being held by Oberyn's people? What's to stop them from deciding they aren't happy with the whole skull crushing business and lopping the princess's head off?

As much as they might hate it, fighting in a trial by combat is a glorified gentleman's duel, so even if a prince dies, it wouldn't grant you a cause for war.

Lopping off the head of the king's sister definitely is though.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

hiddenmovement posted:

Well, it would be high treason (she's the king's sister). It would also be loving twisted (she's a little girl, and not even the Lannisters killed the girl they had captive), and if his family respects Oberryn, they are likely also not psychos.

It also comes down to Oberryn dying due to his own drat choices. He chose to fight, he chose to drag it out, and he chose to let his guard down. Hate the Lannisters all you want, Oberryn dying is almost entirely on Oberryn (though the Dornish weren't actually there to see that).

Relations with Dorne are likely hosed, and if the Lannisters are lucky, all they'll do is secede, but I don't see them killing her and sending her head back. Honestly, they might even just send her back because keeping her as a hostage is fairly distasteful.

Monoliths posted:

Yeah. They're gonna clear all that smoke out. It just looks better for the Warden of the North to be ruling from Winterfell (not that I see the Northmen bending the knee easily).

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm surprised no one else noticed that Tyrion told Oberyn to wear a helmet just before he went in.

Other people did notice and commented on it pages back:

Regy Rusty posted:

Also I like how Tyrion was like "you could at least wear a helmet" and then Oberyn dies from getting his head bashed in :lol:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Also not sure why anyone cares about Sansas new outfit. There's tons of examples in film/tv/media where a young woman decides to undergo a transformation to fit her new mood/outlook/whatever - usually in the form of cutting hair

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
From a few pages back but

precision posted:

He could have even written in some way for Oberyn to lose but still not die.

My thought process:
"Oh no! Okay well maybe he'll get out of that grip.
...Oh, oh no, okay well, he can just be blind or something. Maybe he has like a dagger or something, he'll break free, call it quits, go back to Dorne, have cool bandages over his eyes, and...
Oh. Welp."

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Hedrigall posted:

What about Ned, Robb or Cat?

Cat was kinda surprising, yeah.

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Holy poo poo this brought the lulz. Thank you good sir

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

"to add salt on a womb" :stare:

Lots of great scenes this week, and the fight was loving perfect. Though the pacing felt a bit off, like the cell scene with Jaime and Tyrion belonged earlier in the episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

Hannibal. And that's having read the books the show is a prequel to, making it even weirder since it SHOULD give most of the characters plot armor (it doesn't, really - only for a few) :)

I've been hearing lots of good things about this show, and now I'm going to have to check it out.

Darko posted:

It wasn't a super move comeback at the end of a heated fight, it was Vega dancing around taunting too much in Zangief's throwing reach even though a piledriver would take off his remaining health, if you must use a video game analogy.

Still holding the Kilik-Astaroth dynamic fits this fight better, if you're comparing it to games. Right down to not just the styles involved but the fact that many overconfident Kilik players would let that one good opening in and then lose abruptly and suddenly for it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 2, 2014

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, it would be high treason (she's the king's sister). It would also be loving twisted (she's a little girl, and not even the Lannisters killed the girl they had captive), and if his family respects Oberryn, they are likely also not psychos.

It also comes down to Oberryn dying due to his own drat choices. He chose to fight, he chose to drag it out, and he chose to let his guard down. Hate the Lannisters all you want, Oberryn dying is almost entirely on Oberryn (though the Dornish weren't actually there to see that).

Relations with Dorne are likely hosed, and if the Lannisters are lucky, all they'll do is secede, but I don't see them killing her and sending her head back. Honestly, they might even just send her back because keeping her as a hostage is fairly distasteful.

Well I don't really care that much about prince fancy pants it was just that not only did their prince die during what was essentially a diplomatic visit, he died a particularly gruesome, insulting death, and the mountain admitted proudly and publicly that he'd raped and murdered Oberyn's sister. The logical outcome is hosed relations, and considering how many enemies the Lannisters have, possibly a military alliance with one of those enemies. That would quell all the people who think the prince died for nothing as well.

quote:

they are likely also not psychos.

quote:

It would also be loving twisted

This is Game of Thrones is it not...?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I kinda feel better now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bobo the Red posted:

The most shocking thing I learned from this thread is that large numbers of people like Daenerys. Arya I get, because she's becoming an icecold killer, but Dany? She got gifted dragons and armies, and talks non-ironically about "the usurper" when her dumb family stormed into Westeros with a huge deus ex machina fairly recently and hosed everything up (and legalized regal incest), and about her brother's claim, even though her brother was an idiot she doesn't even like. At least she could acknowledge that under the old Targaryen rules, her only shot at the throne would've been on his lap.

To be fair, Aegon conquered Westeros centuries before the time of the series and is responsible for uniting most of Westeros, which would have pettily fought war after war over bullshit had he not done so. The invasion also paved the way for the Tyrells to become the powerful family that they are, and helped make the Ironborn the hilariously stupid assholes that they are.

I'd say overall that the Targaryens were a positive influence on Westeros, even if the most recent Targaryen king was completely insane. Joffrey would have been even worse had he not been poisoned.

Stannis should win it all though, not her.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I kinda feel better now.

In another reality, this guy is totally playing Hodor instead. I could totally see him in the Hodor role, he just doesn't come off mean enough to be The Mountain.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blazing Ownager posted:

In another reality, this guy is totally playing Hodor instead. I could totally see him in the Hodor role, he just doesn't come off mean enough to be The Mountain.

Oh man, imagine what Mountain-Hordor would have done to Locke.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I have two problems with Oberyn's death.

The first is simply that a story needs interesting characters in order to be interesting. I know that GRRM seems to be going the more realistic route where being interesting does not keep you alive, but that doesn't satiate my need for cool characters. I want more people to be interested in.

The second was the stupid way that Oberyn died. We expect that whoever we like has an above average chance to die in this story, which actually makes the death of any character less shocking at this point. If Oberyn had died during the actual combat, I would have found it acceptable. Instead we got a cliche, horror movie death. "Oh no! You thought the bad guy was defeated, but he's really not. I totally surprised you." is a staple that is rarely done right, and seemed shoe-horned in here just because GRRM is running out of ways to shock us.

Between that and the ludicrously circuitous plan to poison Joffrey, I've seen two of my least favorite tropes this season in a series that I previously had thought was above that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I kinda feel better now.

i expected oberyns actor to be a little more buff tbh

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

And now she's sent off the only guy who keeps her from doing insane things. Gonna go great!

She still has Barriston. He's also a voice of reason, perhaps even more so. If something happens to him now, though, she's up poo poo creek without a paddle.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

The Human Crouton posted:

I have two problems with Oberyn's death.

The first is simply that a story needs interesting characters in order to be interesting. I know that GRRM seems to be going the more realistic route where being interesting does not keep you alive, but that doesn't satiate my need for cool characters. I want more people to be interested in.

The second was the stupid way that Oberyn died. We expect that whoever we like has an above average chance to die in this story, which actually makes the death of any character less shocking at this point. If Oberyn had died during the actual combat, I would have found it acceptable. Instead we got a cliche, horror movie death. "Oh no! You thought the bad guy was defeated, but he's really not. I totally surprised you." is a staple that is rarely done right, and seemed shoe-horned in here just because GRRM is running out of ways to shock us.

Between that and the ludicrously circuitous plan to poison Joffrey, I've seen two of my least favorite tropes this season in a series that I previously had thought was above that.

I haven't read the books but I read the wiki based on the books and I believe they don't do the whole 'mountain gets owned and stabbed all over' quite the same - more like got nicked a few times so it's much more believable.

Also the HBO Go insider thing mentions it but the spear was poisoned, which is what that squire was wiping on the spear tip before the fight.

But yeah Oberyn's death felt like a kick in the nuts.

I want to know where the gently caress Thoros of Myr and Beric Dondarrion are, though. Those were two of my favorite characters and they've been MIA all season long.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm glad others here agree that Danaerys is quickly going from the ultimate badass to just another spoiled brat who wants the throne or waaaaaaaah daddy I want the big swordy chaiiiiir!

Her last two big decisions - ignoring Barristan's advice and blindly crucifying everyone, and sending the man singly most responsible for her success packing - have been absolute poo poo. I'm sure erecting Daario's pillar and stones will somehow turn into a monument for her failure as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm surprised at all the people who complain that GRRM kills off sympathetic characters too much. Yes, he does it quite a bit, but there's also a lot of bad people that die in fairly agonizing ways, too.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly wasn't that attached to Oberyn. He was kinda cool, sure, but I'm more concerned about what this means for Tyrion.

I just hope the actor gets some serious recognition out of it. He really sold it quick.

This could be the kind of career-launchpad role for him, honestly; he stuck around long enough to make a very positive impression with everyone, then checks out before he gets typecast or tied to the show as a supporting character.

PT6A posted:

I'm surprised at all the people who complain that GRRM kills off sympathetic characters too much. Yes, he does it quite a bit, but there's also a lot of bad people that die in fairly agonizing ways, too.

Because 99% of people watching are used to stories where the good guys win in the end, the bad guys are punished, and every death on the good guy's side was a noble sacrifice for a good cause, if they happen at all.

To keep up the video game comparisons rampant in the last few pages, Game of Thrones is a Roguelike: Death is permanent and come come swiftly and gives not a single drat if it's all that fair, making every victory and dodge many times more tense.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 2, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That got crazy fast.

"Haha yeah it's a little tiring at ti-what? What? what? :stonk:"

Pomp fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 2, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Oberyn dying is worth it just to be able to read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Personally, I thought this episode was superb and I only knew who was going to win, when Oberyn started the fight by prancing around. I know this is goonsay, but I agree with whoever said that the fight was Dark Souls as gently caress.

I just hope that Danny's storyline finally gets interesting. I'm holding out for a descent into madness, now that Jorah can't talk sense into her anymore.

• Locked thread