Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

zzonkmiles posted:

This is great information. At about which grade/step would an FSO be able to live more comforably than paycheck to paycheck? I'm talking married with two kids. (Edit: And a dog.)

The pay scales are online. It mostly depends on the country of assignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

zzonkmiles posted:

This is great information. At about which grade/step would an FSO be able to live more comforably than paycheck to paycheck? I'm talking married with two kids. (Edit: And a dog.)

To give you a better idea this gives you a breakdown of what you'll earn at various posts.

http://tableofposts.com/full_list_questions.php

People start anywhere from Grade 4/Step 14 (more money) to Grade 6/Step 1 (less money) based on job and experience. I'd say most come in around Grade 5 between Step 1-14 for rough estimate purposes. The other questions: if you're a DSS Special Agent, you get LEAP, if your in IT you might have one of the SIP options selected by getting a certification, if you speak a certain languages in your job, you get a language bonus.

Then you can factor in not paying for a house. Coming from the DC area being a renter, that's $17000/year after-tax saving for me.

problematique fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 2, 2014

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, the COLA percentage isn't a percentage of your base salary, but of your "spendable income" which can be found on this table: http://aoprals.state.gov/Content/Documents/SpendableIncome.pdf

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

1of7 posted:

Yeah, the COLA percentage isn't a percentage of your base salary, but of your "spendable income" which can be found on this table: http://aoprals.state.gov/Content/Documents/SpendableIncome.pdf

Can someone explain how this is calculated. I'm sure it's super simple, and that I'm just confused.

Why are some places in Africa (Luanda, Douala, Kinshasa) so high on the list?

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

The Mantis posted:

Can someone explain how this is calculated. I'm sure it's super simple, and that I'm just confused.

Military but it's basically the same calculation. http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/colaIndexCalc.cfm

quote:

Calculation of Overseas COLA Index

A weighted system is used in the COLA calculation to prioritize each market basket item and ensure more dollar significance is placed on heavily weighted items such as car insurance, gasoline and day care. The weights are determined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Expenditure Survey (BLS CES), which details how U.S. military families allocate their spendable income across all COLA types of goods and services. The BLS CES is used to determine the CONUS weighted average cost for each market basket item. The overseas weighted average cost for each market basket item (determined by the location specific Living Pattern Survey (LPS) and Retail Price Survey (RPS) data) is compared to the CONUS weighted average cost for the same item to produce an index for each item.

The index for each item in the market basket of goods and services is individually weighted and summarized to reach the final location COLA index. This final index indicates how much more expensive it is to purchase COLA types of goods and services in an overseas location than it is to purchase the same level of goods and services in average CONUS (e.g., an index of 120 at an overseas location means that it is 20 percent more expensive to purchase COLA types of goods and services than in average CONUS.)

Changes in exchange rates (where appropriate) are applied to the portion of the COLA index that reflects local currency purchases. Exchange rates are reviewed at least twice per month.

Payment of COLA is based on the member's Regular Military Compensation (RMC) and his or her spendable income, which are derived as follows:

RMC includes basic pay, Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS), an average BAH, and the tax advantage from allowances being tax exempt updated with each military pay raise.

Estimate of income calculated by years of service and dependency status; updated with each pay increase.

Spendable income is derived from Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Expenditure Survey (BLS CES) data and carefully details how military families allocate their spendable income across all COLA types of goods and services.
Spending for transportation, miscellaneous, household furnishings, food at home, recreation, food away, clothing, household help, personal care, tobacco and alcohol, telephone and medical are included in COLA. Spending on federal income taxes, shelter expenses, gifts and contributions, life insurance, and savings are not part of COLA.

COLA is paid as a percentage of spendable income. An index of 110 would result in an annual COLA of 10 percent of the spendable income corresponding to the member's grade, years of service, and family size.

Updates Based on Currency Fluctuations

Allowances are paid in U.S dollars; however, rent, utilities, and move-in housing allowance are typically paid in local currency. The goal is to maintain purchasing power in local currency over time. Click here to view updates based on currency fluctuations.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

The Mantis posted:

It's a price survey on a certain list of items like problematique said. I remember reading some FS Blog that mentioned that in their particular African post butter cost like $10/lb! I know I've seen boxes of US cereal for like $16 before.

If you can mostly eat like a local and/or get some dry goods via Amazon etc... then that helps a lot.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

Stolennosferatu posted:

The OA invite is good for a year, isn't it?

Is it? I thought I had to do it in in the window they are offering OAs (July-Sep). If so I might be able to swing it next summer. I'll check, thanks!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Miscreant Fromage posted:

Is it? I thought I had to do it in in the window they are offering OAs (July-Sep). If so I might be able to swing it next summer. I'll check, thanks!

IIRC, when I received my OA invite, the letter stated that I was "guaranteed" a spot if I scheudled my OA for the cohort's actual OA window (which was March through June for the previous year's October FSOT cohort). The letter also said that I had a year to take the OA and that if I wanted to take my OA outside of the actual cohort's OA window, it would be on a space-available basis. I would presume that if I wanted to take the OA in, say, August, the people who would have first dibs on OA slots would be the February FSOT cohort.

I remember the most popular OA days were Mondays, Fridays, and dates closer to the beginning of the OA window. My guess is that if you took the OA outside of your cohort's standard window, you might be stuck on a Tuesday or Wednesday on only two or three possible dates or something.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

problematique posted:

To give you a better idea this gives you a breakdown of what you'll earn at various posts.

http://tableofposts.com/full_list_questions.php

People start anywhere from Grade 4/Step 14 (more money) to Grade 6/Step 1 (less money) based on job and experience. I'd say most come in around Grade 5 between Step 1-14 for rough estimate purposes. The other questions: if you're a DSS Special Agent, you get LEAP, if your in IT you might have one of the SIP options selected by getting a certification, if you speak a certain languages in your job, you get a language bonus.

Then you can factor in not paying for a house. Coming from the DC area being a renter, that's $17000/year after-tax saving for me.

Thank you so much for this link. It helps a lot. If (and that's a big if) I make it through next time, I would be coming in as an FP-4 Step 14 (PhD + more than 10 years of full-time work experience). I just wasn't sure about the added expenses of FSO life and whether the extra benefits and allowances would offset that. I have a mortgage and student loans (which total about $1500/month) and I really don't want to sell my house. But that's something I can worry about later if I can make it through.

Thanks again.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

The Mantis posted:

Some places in AF can be very expensive. Luanda in particular, due to the oil economy, is one of the most expensive places in the world for expats. In many AF posts, the access to western-standard products/importation costs of goods are so high that it can make it extremely expensive for expats live there at the standard that COLA considers.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

zzonkmiles posted:

Thank you so much for this link. It helps a lot. If (and that's a big if) I make it through next time, I would be coming in as an FP-4 Step 14 (PhD + more than 10 years of full-time work experience). I just wasn't sure about the added expenses of FSO life and whether the extra benefits and allowances would offset that. I have a mortgage and student loans (which total about $1500/month) and I really don't want to sell my house. But that's something I can worry about later if I can make it through.

Thanks again.

I can't imagine that you would have problems as a FP-4/14 without some kind of significant burden on your family (e.g. a child with an expensive medical condition or something). For your mortgage, you can consider renting it out while you're at post.

I don't want you to get the wrong impression here -- there are certain difficulties that FSOs face in terms of costs of goods/services based on where they're posted, some posts worse than others (certain EUR posts, Angola, etc.) but in general FSOs are very well compensated and even in your entry level officer period the CDOs will/should take into account budgeting issues when determining your assignments.

Incidentally you may want to see if some of your student loans are repayable under SLRP.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Exciting new opportunity for people who enjoy costal living.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
The original headline gave me enough heartburn to last the rest of the week.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Homie S posted:

The original headline gave me enough heartburn to last the rest of the week.

That would be a hilarious flag day.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
haha, the original title (re-opening the Somalian Embassy). can see that CDO, takes a long drag on a cig, then mechanically replies: "May I remind you all that Class 1 clearance means WORLD-WIDE"

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Skandiaavity posted:

haha, the original title (re-opening the Somalian Embassy). can see that CDO, takes a long drag on a cig, then mechanically replies: "May I remind you all that Class 1 clearance means WORLD-WIDE"

"You have that 3/3 in Italian, have I got an opportunity for you!"

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

TCD posted:

That would be a hilarious flag day.

Have people actually broken down in tears at Flag Day when they think they're going to Belgium and they end up being assigned to Tajikistan?

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

They drill this into you during orientation but is it bad that I'm realistically 90% world-wide available? I'm pretty open to the "needs of the service" but there's some places I won't go.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
For every post it seems like there's always somebody who's willing, if not happy, to go there. You can't expect to get your dream post but I think you can realistically consider certain posts as crossed off your list so long your reputation isn't totally radioactive. Even if nobody wants you there's enough posts begging for people at the end of bidding season that you should be able to snap up something acceptable.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

problematique posted:

They drill this into you during orientation but is it bad that I'm realistically 90% world-wide available? I'm pretty open to the "needs of the service" but there's some places I won't go.

I don't think so, but I definitely wouldn't recommend telling your CDO flat out "I won't go to X" on your directed tours. I've heard that horror stories that some CDO's will "call your bluff" and purposely assign you to that post to get you to give in and go or just give up and quit. May not be true, but I see no reason to risk it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TCD posted:

Everywhere has it's pluses and minuses, and I certainly would not turn down a chance to do an EU tour.

I'm at the tail end of my career doing my first EUR tour and my first impression after I got here was, "Christ, why didn't I do this sooner?" That's not to say I regret any of my earlier tours at differential posts. On the contrary, they were hugely satisfying, professionally and personally. Except for that unwise and regrettable marriage in Damascus but

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

problematique posted:

Are there any posts that are really that radioactive? The current FSOT study guide shares the old story of the FO in Vietnam back in '00 who had to deal with chronic power failures, but otherwise (apparently) did just fine there. Likewise it talks about someone posted in Iraq who had to deal with sniper fire on occasion, but traveled in armored convoys outside of the green zone to minimize risk.

If there's an embassy being opened in Somalia, it can't be that deadly anymore, r-right? Still dangerous and possibly exposed to small arms fire, sure, but not like Black Hawk Down or anything like that. At the very least, the gov't surely must do what it can to ensure the protection and survival of Americans in Somalia.

This isn't that naive, is it?

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
So, I have registered to take the fsot again. I know in the past we had to give them a cc number in case we didn't show for the test so they could charge us fifty bucks. This time around, it hasn't asked me for anything, yet the fine print clearly says they will charge you if you miss your appointment. I see nothing else to fill out, and my test is coming up in less than 2 weeks. Do they not actually care anymore, or did I miss something?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Ofaloaf posted:

Are there any posts that are really that radioactive? The current FSOT study guide shares the old story of the FO in Vietnam back in '00 who had to deal with chronic power failures, but otherwise (apparently) did just fine there. Likewise it talks about someone posted in Iraq who had to deal with sniper fire on occasion, but traveled in armored convoys outside of the green zone to minimize risk.

If there's an embassy being opened in Somalia, it can't be that deadly anymore, r-right? Still dangerous and possibly exposed to small arms fire, sure, but not like Black Hawk Down or anything like that. At the very least, the gov't surely must do what it can to ensure the protection and survival of Americans in Somalia.

Frame of reference - Benghazi.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TCD posted:

Frame of reference - Benghazi.
For political reasons I'd figure that means that security at the Somalian embassy (at least) would be tighter than a Puritan's sphincter in Las Vegas. Benghazi has been crudely used for political hay ever since then, so every precaution available and then some would be used to prevent that from happening in Somalia, right? Right?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ofaloaf posted:

For political reasons I'd figure that means that security at the Somalian embassy (at least) would be tighter than a Puritan's sphincter in Las Vegas. Benghazi has been crudely used for political hay ever since then, so every precaution available and then some would be used to prevent that from happening in Somalia, right? Right?

hahahahahahahahahahaha

When I saw this article in the Post I sent it to my husband with the subject line, "Another great post-conflict opportunity!" Realistically though, I imagine it will look more like our assistance platform/embassy in exile for Syria, currently located in southern Turkey. No way in hell people will be staying in Mogadishu full-time for a while to come. I think we have a Somalia outreach/reporting unit based in Nairobi already...

the_chavi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 6, 2014

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zzonkmiles posted:

Have people actually broken down in tears at Flag Day when they think they're going to Belgium and they end up being assigned to Tajikistan?

We had a few weepers in my class. One person resigned because he got sent to Jamaica. Another quit on day one of A-100 when she saw there were no posts in Germany on our bidlist.

My mom cried, but that was because she so didn't want me to go to Riyadh. I was pretty stoked at the time about it, though.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I might consider Somalia if it was 35+35 with 3 R&Rs and a handshake. Maybe.

the_chavi posted:

We had a few weepers in my class. One person resigned because he got sent to Jamaica. Another quit on day one of A-100 when she saw there were no posts in Germany on our bidlist.

And just think, they wasted space that other people could've had in the orientation.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

zzonkmiles posted:

Someone in my A100 class found out where they were going and flat out quit. Lots of people tried to convince her otherwise & stay but it did not seem a workable thing. What's more, I heard that wasn't uncommon.

Ofaloaf posted:

There's a 'rumor' of a post that FSO's are sent to so they'd quit or something along those lines (it's pretty bad, as far as the stories go. Basically no pouch, no clean water, sporiadiac electricity, almost no internet, unclean & expensive, also were they send similar 'problem people' so morale is through the floor, etc). but as far as most Posts go, it's whats in your mind that's "radioactive." Places can be pretty difficult, but it'll challenge you to expand your boundaries - which is the harder part.

A note that the Department will not directly send you to a real risky place*, places like LAIP are prohibited from first tour and you have to get a special waiver to go for a second tour. The * catch is - they can assign you someplace then when poo poo hits the fan at some point near after they assign you. If you haven't left yet, they can re-assign/re-evaluate things. If you've already arrived at post and poo poo got real, then you can curtail or post swap; so there's other options available for you.

note that post swapping doesn't necessarily work in your favor, and is more of a special circumstances thing. Talk with your CDA about it, talk with HR about it. For example, I saw Ukraine on a recent bid list. If an ELO was assigned there and Kiev gets to the point where they evacuate the Embassy, they can appeal to their CDA on family/safety/whatever grounds and ask for an alternative assignment. The person still doesn't get much say in where they go; so you might go from Kiev to... say Somalia, Chad, or probably Moscow.

the popes toes posted:

I'm at the tail end of my career doing my first EUR tour and my first impression after I got here was, "Christ, why didn't I do this sooner?" That's not to say I regret any of my earlier tours at differential posts. On the contrary, they were hugely satisfying, professionally and personally. Except for that unwise and regrettable marriage in Damascus but

Had a brain fart, was looking on how to favorite this post. But take an emptyquote for now.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Ofaloaf posted:

:shobon: this is so cute.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Ofaloaf posted:

It's not Blackhawk Down anymore, but the security situation in Mogadishu at any given time is basically dependent on how successful AMISOM, Ethiopia, and Kenya are in their fight against Shabaab. Mogadishu has become considerably more safe in the past two years (though that's a relative term -- it's still probably comparable to Kabul) and there are some pretty significant logistical difficulties in handling Somali affairs from Nairobi and Addis. I would expect no shortage of people clamoring to get posted to Somalia, especially to be able to be part of the first wave that reopens the embassy.

-e- That said, for any future embassy there it's a matter of when, not if the embassy will be hit.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 6, 2014

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leif. posted:

I would expect no shortage of people clamoring to get posted to Somalia, especially to be able to be part of the first wave that reopens the embassy.

Truth. Though having basically reopened one embassy in a war-torn country with no central government, Imma take a pass on this one.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

the_chavi posted:

Truth. Though having basically reopened one embassy in a war-torn country with no central government, Imma take a pass on this one.

I'm pretty stoked for Embassy Bangui, 2015

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Who here is in Tokyo? There's a long timer from here but I forgot who. PM me or somethin.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

I just got a notice in my email from Diplopundit about an Embassy Moscow FSO or FSS dying from injuries she sustained in a gas explosion/fire in her apartment building. :(

Wow, this is some seriously sad stuff. Much respect to all of you in the FS who willingly leave the comforts and security of home in order to serve in dangerous or inhospitable places and live in uncomfortable, dangerous or otherwise unsafe quarters.

http://diplopundit.net/2014/06/06/us-embassy-moscow-fs-employee-hurt-in-apartment-building-gas-explosion-dies/

Please stay safe.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Mantis posted:

I'm pretty stoked for Embassy Bangui, 2015

They were evacuated over Libyan airspace in 2013 (or late 2012). I remember working the air clearances for that evacuation.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TCD posted:

:shobon: this is so cute.

:negative: I hoped against hope, but nope.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

zzonkmiles posted:

I just got a notice in my email from Diplopundit about an Embassy Moscow FSO or FSS dying from injuries she sustained in a gas explosion/fire in her apartment building. :(

Wow, this is some seriously sad stuff. Much respect to all of you in the FS who willingly leave the comforts and security of home in order to serve in dangerous or inhospitable places and live in uncomfortable, dangerous or otherwise unsafe quarters.

http://diplopundit.net/2014/06/06/us-embassy-moscow-fs-employee-hurt-in-apartment-building-gas-explosion-dies/

Please stay safe.

at times you feel sorry for the Facilities Mangement officer, who will bear the brunt of all wrath for fixing stuff.

At other times you look around your assigned house and see it's literally about to collapse or electrical panels are bare-wire and exposed and go "you're telling me this is safe? what the gently caress, man?! I got kids here!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leif. posted:

It's not Blackhawk Down anymore, but the security situation in Mogadishu at any given time is basically dependent on how successful AMISOM, Ethiopia, and Kenya are in their fight against Shabaab. Mogadishu has become considerably more safe in the past two years (though that's a relative term -- it's still probably comparable to Kabul) and there are some pretty significant logistical difficulties in handling Somali affairs from Nairobi and Addis. I would expect no shortage of people clamoring to get posted to Somalia, especially to be able to be part of the first wave that reopens the embassy.

-e- That said, for any future embassy there it's a matter of when, not if the embassy will be hit.

Yeah, this is pretty much true, I still have family members there. Surprised there isn't an embassy or something up in Hargeisa, the capitol of the torn away Republic of Somaliland, which has been stable (relatively, there's been a few bombing in the last couple of years) for a while now. And money is just pouring in over there (a lot of oil speculators).

Mogadishu...is Mogadishu. Parliament just got bombed recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
I just passed the FSOA. Maybe there will be a new diplogoon in the near to mid-term future! Now time for the awkward clearing process and maybe the double-awkward interview with the current office!