Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

V-Men posted:

Frankly, the chicken mcnugget speech is equally as important. While the notion that in the drug gang empire, you can only ever be second fiddle to the main man, I love the notion that those who have the wealth and authority will only ever exploit those who create or innovate.

Well, I didn't need much convincing but I think it's time for a third viewing of The Wire. It's been a few years and I completely forgot about that conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Finally getting around to watching Friday Night Lights. I'm only 3 episodes into season 2 but drat, this is a Good Show. I guess I was one of the dummies that thought it was just a high school football show but it's so much more.

Just curious as to what seasons are considered strongest.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

Finally getting around to watching Friday Night Lights. I'm only 3 episodes into season 2 but drat, this is a Good Show. I guess I was one of the dummies that thought it was just a high school football show but it's so much more.

For me the first season was the best and the second season was the worst because they took bad advice from NBC or something to increase ratings so there are some really, really dumb plotlines. After season two the show gets better and stays really good until the end.

The only real negative for the end of the show is that they try too hard to keep some of the first season cast around and it doesn't always work but it never gets as bad as the crap that happened in season two.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

pahuyuth posted:

Season 2 is considered to be the outlier of the seasons due to the Writer's strike happening. Seasons 3 and 4 are a return to form and easily the best of the series. Expect several plot threads from season 2 to be dropped and forgotten about in the following season because of this.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just binged s1 of Supernatural, again. I realised I spent most of May essentially rewatching TV shows like that and Community, so I'm putting it on hold for a while.

It is funny how earlier episodes change in light of later ones: Dean being so adamant about angels don't exist is worth a few chuckles. The episode with the faith healer telling Dean that the Lord 'chose him' to be healed winds up being oddly creepy given some of the stuff that happens in s5 though. I know the episode is about a trapped Reaper, but you have to wonder how much truth there was to the claim.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Finished season 1 of Hannibal in the last two days. My first impression was that Hugh Dancy was horribly overacting and there were a lot of clichés throughout the first couple of episodes, but then I got hooked pretty quick and just watched nonstop to the finale. Pretty stoked for season 2 now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Another novice Wire watcher here, brought in by Amazon Prime. I'm about eight episodes into S1 and enjoying it so far.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Finally finished Breaking Bad yesterday.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FeastForCows posted:

Finished season 1 of Hannibal in the last two days. My first impression was that Hugh Dancy was horribly overacting and there were a lot of clichés throughout the first couple of episodes, but then I got hooked pretty quick and just watched nonstop to the finale. Pretty stoked for season 2 now.

He continues to overact for another 13 episodes. But I still like the show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rocksicles posted:

The Wire thread has so much thesis level scene by scene break down, it loving scares me.

It's an extremely bad thread and there really should be a new one that doesn't consist of really long "analysis" pieces where said "analysis" is actually a regurgitation of the plot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Currently flying through Orphan Black, and Friday Night Lights. FNL is great because it seems I can skip several episodes (when I forget where I left off) and not miss a beat.

Since the consensus is that FNL season 2 is terrible, how much can I skip that isn't covered in the recaps at the beginning of episodes, and is there anything terrible I should watch for trainwreck bad-but-goodness?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't skip anything. Season 2 has a lot of good stuff.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I was watching Friday Night Lights and I got a couple episodes into season 3 and it seems to have turned into teenage soap opera with characters doing dumb things to ruin their lives to fabricate drama and then HBO stuck the Sopranos on Amazon and that was that.

I really liked season 1 though, expected it to be a rah-rah good time where the only drama is "maybe they'll lose a game now and then", and then holy poo poo.

Also powered through Homeland Season 1 with some friends who hadn't seen it over memorial day weekend. I still love that show.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Just completed season 1 of The Wire. The only negative thing I can say is that the ending felt so satisfying, I feel less compelled to keep binging. Is there a thread? Maybe I could make one if there's interest for a spoiler free thread like the one the Shied has now that Amazon Prime makes them so easily available.

Each season is its own story with the same characters and equally satisfying character arcs. Do not stop. Prez's story arc through the series is my favorite. He goes from fuckup to hero to fuckup to different kind of hero, just great writing. I also love what they do with Herc and Carver. Such a realistic portrayal of how some people change and grow and some people stay the same.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 2, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oz. Started it for the first time after I ran out of current "serious" shows I was watching. I'm just a couple of episodes in but it's pretty drat good, even if it does have some weird artistic choices sometimes.

How's FNL for someone who's not really into sport or football in particular? I realize it's not completely about football, but it does make me hesitate a bit. I wouldn't start start with it until I finish Oz, but it was the next one to consider.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FNL is an underdog show that went unappreciated until it won those two Emmys. Pretty sure most people that watch it don't give a gently caress about football. Or highschool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XehgI5gBA0E

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I just finished Fringe. It was far better than I could have imagined it would be when it first came on tv (even if the last season was insane). I keep explaining it to people as MASH meets X-Files.

I'm looking for other good series on Netflix since I think I've exhausted all of the other "big shows" on Netflix that appealed to me: Lost, FNL, The Office, HIMYM, Parks & Rec, Louie, Californication, Weeds, Dexter, Sherlock, Breaking Bad, Sports Night, West Wing. I'm working my way through Twin Peaks, too. Would anybody care to throw out some under-appreciated series on Netflix I may have missed? I just started Deadwood (since I have HBO) which is really really good so far but it's nice to have shows like Fringe to watch that have a light-hearted air about them.

A couple shows I am interested in and would appreciate some advice about : Roswell and Jericho. I understand Warehouse 13 is kind of a Fringe knock-off?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 2, 2014

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

It's not a light-hearted show, but Luther is a pretty great show on Netflix.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

tadashi posted:

A couple shows I am interested in and would appreciate some advice about : Roswell and Jericho. I understand Warehouse 13 is kind of a Fringe knock-off?

If you liked Lost and Fringe, then I would highly recommend Jericho. It's a little bit more... campier than those two shows, but that's part of the charm. And I don't even know if campy is a fair description. The central mystery of the show isn't as important as the very likable cast of characters, and it has a lot in common with Lost in that respect. It's perfect if you're looking for a more light-hearted show to balance with watching a show like Deadwood. I can't comment on Roswell or Warehouse 13 though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Warehouse 13 has absolutely nothing in common with Fringe whatsoever.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

mobby_6kl posted:

Oz. Started it for the first time after I ran out of current "serious" shows I was watching. I'm just a couple of episodes in but it's pretty drat good, even if it does have some weird artistic choices sometimes.

Some of the later storylines are, in a word, stupid, but stick with it. Even at its worst, there's still a hell of a lot to like, and the last episode will blow you away.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Warehouse 13 is The Lost Room except where TLR was incredibly well made and interesting, W13 is poo poo on every creative level and aimed at people who, if the genre of science fiction were a school, would be in the remedial class. The comparison is a pretty great example of what SciFi once was capable of, and what SyFy is now. Watch The Lost Room instead.

Roswell was solid for what it was (Young Adult scifi) as I recall. Jericho is pretty much in the same boat, it's not on the same level of The Lost Room or Fringe, but what it does it does very well after a few shaky initial episodes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Finished watching the first 2 seasons of Chuck and thought it was pretty fun. I don't know that I'd recommend it to people, but for the most part I enjoyed the characters and thought the romantic aspect between Chuck and seriously the hottest woman on television at the time was done pretty nicely and didn't grate.

I have no desire to watch any more of the series, but the ending of season 2 was a solid ending to the show.

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012
Just finished watching all 3 seasons of happy endings. drat that show was hilarious. Next up is season 2 of orange is the new black, whenever o have some free time!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just finishing up with Forever Knight. The last couple of series I binged before it were Sliders and The X-Files, so I'm thinking of trying something different next. I was thinking of giving Stargate SG-1 a try.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm just finishing up with Forever Knight. The last couple of series I binged before it were Sliders and The X-Files, so I'm thinking of trying something different next. I was thinking of giving Stargate SG-1 a try.

SG-1 is not the best show in the world, especially compared to, y'know, The Sopranos and Deadwood and so on, but it is the perfect binge series. Great chemistry between the leads, good mix of episodes, and lots and lots of seasons. Fair warning: the first season or two is a bit rough. And the first three episodes are the roughest.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

SG-1 is not the best show in the world, especially compared to, y'know, The Sopranos and Deadwood and so on, but it is the perfect binge series. Great chemistry between the leads, good mix of episodes, and lots and lots of seasons. Fair warning: the first season or two is a bit rough. And the first three episodes are the roughest.

^ This is totally true.

Bear with it at first - if you have to, just stick episodes on in the background while you do other things. As soon as it has some established canon to lean on and develop it starts to get really good. One of the most rewarding things about the show is its consistent internal rules.

Shoreleave
Jun 6, 2008
Powered through all of Justified, now i want to slick my hair back and wear a giant loving cowboy hat. Not as many killings as Game of Thrones, but still pretty drat good. The Americans is also really good blew through both seasons of that, FX just has some great shows.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EddieDean posted:

Bear with it at first - if you have to, just stick episodes on in the background while you do other things. As soon as it has some established canon to lean on and develop it starts to get really good. One of the most rewarding things about the show is its consistent internal rules.

I think it's been okay so far on the whole; I don't think it's necessarily had any unbearably terrible episodes like, say, the first season of TNG, just resoundingly mediocre ones with glimmers of brilliance.

That said, I thought the one I finished earlier this morning ("There But for the Grace of God") was really good, and hopefully it can only improve on that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Metal Loaf posted:

I think it's been okay so far on the whole; I don't think it's necessarily had any unbearably terrible episodes like, say, the first season of TNG, just resoundingly mediocre ones with glimmers of brilliance.

This is funny to me because SG-1 has what is almost literally a retread of a horribly misogynistic TNG episode, only instead of space africans abducting Tasha Yar it's space mongols abducting Carter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

This is funny to me because SG-1 has what is almost literally a retread of a horribly misogynistic TNG episode, only instead of space africans abducting Tasha Yar it's space mongols abducting Carter.

Oh, yeah. That one. I must have blanked it out.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
That episode is in the first three. I told ya guys. :smug:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WarLocke posted:

Once again its not shocking as those two episodes had the same writer.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that episode was unofficially retconned

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Come to think of it, there was also one where they're all infected with the disease from "The Naked Now".

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

tadashi posted:

Would anybody care to throw out some under-appreciated series on Netflix I may have missed?

Daybreak. If it's still on there.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Deadbeat on Hulu is very dumb and has terrible production, pacing, and the overarching plot is dumb as poo poo, but I have a thing for Tyler Labine and have enjoyed every terrible thing that he has done. He can see and talk to ghosts and helps them move on to the next level. I plowed through the 10 episodes in 2 days and had a good time, but I would not be surprised if I was the only person on the planet that thinks it's funny.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, it took us six months, but we finally finished Fringe. My wife and I weren't big fans of the fifth season, but it had a satisfactory ending and left us happy and sad at the same time.

Now we have Netflix again and are working our way through Orange Is the New Black season 2 together. She loved the first season; I only saw the first few episodes of it before she watched the rest without me, but we're taking our time here.

I think I'm going to go through Arrow season 1 next, starting tonight. A trusted friend just finished it, and he said it starts off pretty mediocre but ends on a high note. I've generally heard season 2 gets even better, and the rumor is my all-time favorite comic book character is joining the cast in season 3, so I guess it's time.

After we get through OITNB and I finish Arrow and Comedy Bang Bang on my own, I'm probably going to cancel Netflix after our free month ends in mid-July. At that point, I'll feel like I've seen everything that interests me on there. Plus, we also have Amazon Prime, and I've been feeling the same about that for a while now.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
At home, we've been binging through Prison Break. Despite what we were told to, we decided to keep continue watching after season 1, and really enjoyed 2 & 3. I liked 2 because of the whole "on-the-run" element, while the third one was neat, because we liked the new prison. I was also pretty interested in whatever the Company was, although I wasn't too big a fan of the Gretchen character. A bit too "I'm such a badass, hear me being badass, cynical and so in control all the time" for my tastes. We were really excited all the way to the end, and I was really wondering how they were going to handle T-Dog(now more of a leader), Sucre and Bellick being in prison.

... I'm not sure what happened, but I haven't experienced such a loss of interest in season 4. The prison is just swept away, and now it seems to have turned into CSI: Prison Break, where everyone is part of a group, just because. (Season 3&4 spoiler) Sara's return also felt rather cheap, because I really admired that they killed her off in the third season, even though I'm thinking that it was because of some contract dispute, (Season 3&4 spoiler) We're really not feeling it, and are considering dropping the series at this point. I'd be somewhat disappointed, because I am interested in how the series ends, but if the season remains the same, then I don't think I can muster the enthusiasm.

Does season 4 get any better, or is it better if we stop at this point?

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
If I recall correctly, it's really not worth soldiering through. It just got dumber and dumber as it progressed, but if you were a fan of the prison-breaking element, the TV movie that helped give the series closure is about (at your own risk)breaking Sara out of a prison after she's put in for killing the Scofield matriarch, so you might get enjoyment out of that. Outside of that, yeah, drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baron von der Loon posted:

At home, we've been binging through Prison Break. Despite what we were told to, we decided to keep continue watching after season 1, and really enjoyed 2 & 3. I liked 2 because of the whole "on-the-run" element, while the third one was neat, because we liked the new prison. I was also pretty interested in whatever the Company was, although I wasn't too big a fan of the Gretchen character. A bit too "I'm such a badass, hear me being badass, cynical and so in control all the time" for my tastes. We were really excited all the way to the end, and I was really wondering how they were going to handle T-Dog(now more of a leader), Sucre and Bellick being in prison.

... I'm not sure what happened, but I haven't experienced such a loss of interest in season 4. The prison is just swept away, and now it seems to have turned into CSI: Prison Break, where everyone is part of a group, just because. (Season 3&4 spoiler) Sara's return also felt rather cheap, because I really admired that they killed her off in the third season, even though I'm thinking that it was because of some contract dispute, (Season 3&4 spoiler) We're really not feeling it, and are considering dropping the series at this point. I'd be somewhat disappointed, because I am interested in how the series ends, but if the season remains the same, then I don't think I can muster the enthusiasm.

Does season 4 get any better, or is it better if we stop at this point?

So I'm making my way through season 4 right now and here are my thoughts. If you're not enjoying the beginning of the season you probably won't enjoy most of the rest that the season has to offer (I'm up to episode 15).

There are some silly plot twists and decisions that really don't make too much sense. I've personally been enjoying it, but it's nowhere near the love I had for the first or second season. I even thought season 3 was great, but season 4 goes in an odd direction and it's practically giving me whiplash with how often it's changing direction. None of the characters introduced this season are really very interesting either.

That said, there is still some stuff that I think has been good in season 4. T-Bag's development makes him even more interesting than he was. This season has even managed to make me feel bad for T-Bag, which I thought was impossible with what he has done previously. Once they get to actually breaking into Scylla, it gets back to feeling more like season 1 with how they're plotting out what they're going to do and how they're going to bypass certain obstacles. e: I should note that this does not last long. Like, 3 episodes maybe?

On the topic of Sara, I agree 100%. At least in season 3 it felt ballsy to kill off Sara. It reminded me of watching season 1 and thinking at one point that Michael might actually fail to save Lincoln from the electric chair the first time and I admired it for being willing to do that.

NeuroticLich fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 22, 2014