Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

During WM30 my mom kept commenting on Bray Wyatt being 'husky'. My mom hadn't watched wrestling with me since like 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp

Luigi Thirty posted:

During the Kane/Bryan match at Extreme Rules my mom asked me who the guy with the beard was. I said he was the champion, she asked why he gets to be the champion when he's so small

this is the reason I imagine Vince riding around in a limo wearing sunglasses while listening to "drat It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta" as loud as possible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've had a good half a dozen tweets from Elgin because I kept mentioning that he sucks and looks like Jay Sherman.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A big single company name from that era that no one's mentioned yet is Rock. HHH had a short WCW stint in 94-95 but was WWE only by the time Nitro started in the fall of '95.

Luger of course had a WWF stint in the mid '90s but again was WCW only by the time Nitro started.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Thauros posted:

A big single company name from that era that no one's mentioned yet is Rock.

He's been mentioned...

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
He was mentioned by the guy who asked the question.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Apologies, perils of reading a thread on a mobile!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So here's a question, I recently told my parents that I'd gotten back into wrestling. When I was a kid my parents would watch it with me, we'd use to watch 1999 and 2000's WCW and they have a passing interest in wrestling. They don't really think/understand how the product has moved on since then though, what could I show them (promo/video package/match) to convince them or at least show them otherwise. I feel like the Pipebomb might be a good example but that needs a good lot of context beforehand.

Wrestlemania 30 was a great show and a pretty good distillation of the current product, show them that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Who has/had the best powerbomb in wrestling?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Blast Fantasto posted:

Hornswoggle, apparently.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

According to a google search for "Master of the Powerbomb" (clearly the most objective way to determine this), Sid and Vader formed a team called the Masters of the Powerbomb, so it's obviously a tie between those two.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blast Fantasto posted:

Chris Benoit but only when doing to Eddie Guerrero.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

According to a google search for "Master of the Powerbomb" (clearly the most objective way to determine this), Sid and Vader formed a team called the Masters of the Powerbomb, so it's obviously a tie between those two.

Kevin Nash defeated Sid a Master of the Powerbomb Match so the title passed to him in late 99

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
When will the WWE respect the Master of the Powerbomb title?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

What are considered Scott Norton's best matches in NJPW?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was thinking to myself "Nash was lame, but he did some memorable powerbombs, didn't he?" Looking into it, I realize all his powerbombs against big guys were sloppy.

Dean Malenko and Jushin Liger had great powerbombs.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

Kevin Nash defeated Sid a Master of the Powerbomb Match so the title passed to him in late 99

If a title changes hands and nobody sees it, did it really happen?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Great White Hope posted:

If a title changes hands and nobody sees it, did it really happen?

To make it even better, Nash didn't even powerbomb Sid. The ref got bumped and when he came to, since Sid was layed out, Nash was able to convince the ref he had indeed powerbombed Sid.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

oldpainless posted:

Chris Benoit but only when doing to Eddie Guerrero.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Benoit used to powerbomb Eddie, not like he wanted to put him through the ring, but like he wanted to put him through the arena floor.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed the Last Ride. It always looked like attempted murder and plus mixed in the humiliation of a mega-wedgie.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Uh I already answered the question guys

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Why has nobody mentioned Mike Awesome? It was literally called the Awesome Bomb. Case closed.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I Before E posted:

Why has nobody mentioned Mike Awesome? It was literally called the Awesome Bomb. Case closed.

Sure, next you're going to tell me he used the suicide dive.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

Luger of course had a WWF stint in the mid '90s but again was WCW only by the time Nitro started.

Lex showing up on the first Nitro by jumping to WCW unexpectedly was literally the start of the "war"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

epitasis posted:

Uh I already answered the question guys

I could probably watch this all day.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I could probably watch this all day.

The only way it'd be better is if it could somehow be looped perfectly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd have to go with Batista and last night's Blueberry Bomb.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

the best powerbomb last night was in a midget match

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I tend to not like powerbombs as much if they aren't sitout. It lessens the impact. Nash's is even worse because he just sort of lets go halfway and lets gravity take over. I also think it's weird how Batista never pins a dude after he does his, and does a backward somersault and THEN a pin. So I guess what I'm saying is, a properly executed Liger Bomb owns all the bones.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I tend to not like powerbombs as much if they aren't sitout. It lessens the impact. Nash's is even worse because he just sort of lets go halfway and lets gravity take over. I also think it's weird how Batista never pins a dude after he does his, and does a backward somersault and THEN a pin. So I guess what I'm saying is, a properly executed Liger Bomb owns all the bones.

What about the Razor's Edge? Or the Tigerdriver '91?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everyone will think I'm crazy for saying it, but I'm not terribly impressed by either of those moves. It's not hard to make a move look powerful when you drop a guy on his neck.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Well we need a clarification from Blast on this.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Now, are we talking straight up powerbombs OR powerbomb variants? Most of the people here are listing variants, like the Jackknife and Last Ride and poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Going back several pages to the WWE era talk, I always considered Wrestlemania X7 to Wrestlemania XX/Summerslam 04 to be "the Crossover Era." It's only three years, but it really stands on its own as this window of time where WWE was coasting off both their victory and the huge supply of dream matches. It was about bringing in guys like the WCW roster, RVD, the nWo, Mysterio, Steiner, Bischoff, Goldberg, etc. to set up dream matches that didn't need compelling stories to make money. At least in their mind. You can even include Shawn Michaels' return to action to that list if you want. The only guy they really built from the ground up as a big deal during that time was Brock Lesnar. Cena, Orton and Batista were merely in the planning stages for a while.

Towards the end, the big names on the roster started to dwindle and almost all the money matches had been done. They were so low on new big talent that we got #1 contender Hardcore Holly out of it. At Wrestlemania XX, it about ended with the last big dream match in Lesnar vs. Goldberg, which was a complete disaster, as well as Rock doing his final match for years in what was an afterthought of an appearance. Meanwhile, Cena, Orton and Batista got some major wins on the undercard and just shortly after, JBL became a big deal all of the sudden.

As much as Benoit and Guerrero deserved to be champs, their reigns were ultimately little more than placeholders to tape together the end of the Crossover Era and the beginning of the Cena Era (or Ruthless Aggression or whatever you'd call it). There's a lot to be sad about with their WMXX celebration, but it's additionally depressing to see them at the following Royal Rumble at #1 and #2 as a reminder that they were basically discarded from the main event scene. Them being the first two in there was borderline nostalgia for something that happened ten months prior.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Skunkrocker posted:

Well we need a clarification from Blast on this.

Now, are we talking straight up powerbombs OR powerbomb variants? Most of the people here are listing variants, like the Jackknife and Last Ride and poo poo.

I was thinking either, really. I probably had some sort of imaginary powerbomb guideline in my head, because I consider the Jackknife and Last Ride to be powerbombs (because they're basically just powerbombs where you lift the guy REAL high), but I don't consider the Razor's Edge to be one.

I know this doesn't make any real sense, but the Razor's Edge doesn't feel like a powerbomb to me, because of how it looks.

So there's some non-clarification clarification.

Also I agree with the earlier assessment that sit-down powerbombs are the poo poo.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Gavok posted:

You can even include Shawn Michaels' return to action to that list if you want.

Was Michaels return something that was expected to happen or was it a total surprise?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What're the most pleasant sounding finishers?

There's nothing to fear from a Moonlight Drive or Greetings from Ashbury Park.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Golden Shower

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The Accolade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sliced Bread #2