Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If pilots don't suck they don't get shot down, just like if ground troops aren't incompetent and lovely they never get shot or blown up. I recommend people tell this to vets and their survivors every chance they can.

I fully endorse trying and punishing this Berghal clown for desertion (he's mentally ill and will get out of it) but if you started shooting someone every time they hosed up and someone else got hurt, you'd pretty quick not have any mil left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

:masterstroke: There is no recovering from the sperg smiley.

I don't think anyone said that Bergdahl was a good person. You just went off on some retarded tangent about McCain(because you're a retarded DND human being) when you saw the opportunity.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

McCain might have been a bad pilot but he never ran for office on being a good pilot and his piloting ability had nothing to do with his actual real heroism. Talking about how many times he got shot down was just another very transparent political maneuver to attack him on a strength.

Which is why that angle never ended up outside the internet's fever swamps anyway. Much better to attack him for being crazy and stupidly wealthy while praising his service and actual real life heroism.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

mlmp08 posted:

It's hard to draw direct causation, but read the article about him published in the daily beast. It's written by a guy who served in the unit and details how resources were rerouted, operations changed, and invasive searching pissed off locals.

On the other hand, maybe some guys that didn't get killed would have if they had continued their normal operations without him going missing. The fickle fist of fate is a cruel beast. :iiam:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

First they came for the nobles with the nepotistic silver spoon and I said nothing because I wasn't one. I don't like McCaine, get over it. Forget I said it, replace him with a hypothetical Scott O'Grady who managed to get captured.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 2, 2014

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't like McCaine, get over it.

Nobody liked him, he was a bad moderator.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

It's hard to draw direct causation, but read the article about him published in the daily beast. It's written by a guy who served in the unit and details how resources were rerouted, operations changed, and invasive searching pissed off locals.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html

Rerouted surveillance planes. An ambush, an ied and a mine stepped on while patrolling or hunting for talib commanders. I get that people are pissed, but I think "he got x people killed" like he shot them himself is a bit of a stretch.

Still, he deserted his unit in wartime. I say do the trial on the plane ride home and have a noose and platform standing ready on the tarmac.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
hey i actually agree with veins. cool lets touch tips veins

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

docking initiated

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Courthouse posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html

Rerouted surveillance planes. An ambush, an ied and a mine stepped on while patrolling or hunting for talib commanders. I get that people are pissed, but I think "he got x people killed" like he shot them himself is a bit of a stretch.

Still, he deserted his unit in wartime. I say do the trial on the plane ride home and have a noose and platform standing ready on the tarmac.
Why wait for landing. Tow him behind like a banner for the delight of all the little children.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...abcf_story.html

quote:

Lawmakers were not notified of the Guantanamo detainees’ transfer until after it occurred.

The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.

Before the current law was enacted at the end of last year, the conditions were even more stringent. However, the administration and some Democrats had pressed for them to be loosened, in part to give them more flexibility to negotiate for Bergdahl’s release.

A senior administration official, agreeing to speak on the condition of anonymity to explain the timing of the congressional notification, acknowledged that the law was not followed. When he signed the law last year, Obama issued a signing statement contending that the notification requirement was an unconstitutional infringement on his powers as commander in chief and that he therefore could override it.

“Due to a near-term opportunity to save Sergeant Bergdahl’s life, we moved as quickly as possible,” the official said. “The administration determined that given these unique and exigent circumstances, such a transfer should go forward notwithstanding the notice requirement.”

The tinfoil theory is that this was a spur-of-moment thing to distract from the VA scandal. I think that's probably excessively cynical so I'll just point out another case of Obama thinking/knowing a law is unconstitutional and signing it anyway instead of vetoing

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/02/sources-intelligence-community-investigated-bergdahls-conduct/

quote:

A senior official confirms to Fox News that the conduct of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl -- both in his final stretch of active duty in Afghanistan and then, too, during his time when he lived among the Taliban -- has been thoroughly investigated by the U.S. intelligence community and is the subject of "a major classified file."

In conveying as much, the Defense Department source confirmed to Fox News that many within the intelligence community harbor serious outstanding concerns not only that Bergdahl may have been a deserter but that he may have been an active collaborator with the enemy.

(emphasis mine)

From what little I've been able to read (I've been mostly offline these past few days) the guy just sounds like he went loopy loo (the whole 'I can't talk English after 5 years' bit leans to that), so that's the stance I'll stick to till I hear meaningful data otherwise. His dad sounds loopy loo too so at least footage of the family could be amusing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CNN is reporting a rumor that the army is going to give him E-6. :suicide:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe he got his online degree while in captivity. How many points is five years in Afghanistan?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe he got his online degree while in captivity. How many points is five years in Afghanistan?

A PhD from Phoenix.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

A masters in buttrape and goat husbandry.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

CNN is reporting a rumor that the army is going to give him E-6. :suicide:

Wasn't there, out of shape, hates his teammates, it all checks out.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

One of your daughters got kidnapped and is probably being raped and abused on the daily? Oh well, ya'll need to shut the gently caress up now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i bet he can get a nice contracting gig what with being in a very intense language immersion program for five years

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

One of your daughters got kidnapped and is probably being raped and abused on the daily? Oh well, ya'll need to shut the gently caress up now.

Convenient to claim that protests regarding something that is exceedingly embarrassing for the gov't of Nigeria are banned due to threat from "dangerous elements".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Reverand maynard posted:

i bet he can get a nice contracting gig what with being in a very intense language immersion program for five years

I heard he's got an OCS package just waiting for his PT score before submission.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

orange juche posted:

Convenient to claim that protests regarding something that is exceedingly embarrassing for the gov't of Nigeria are banned due to threat from "dangerous elements".

If my daughter got kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery, and the government was not doing poo poo about it, I'd be a pretty loving "dangerous element" too.

quote:

CNN is reporting a rumor that the army is going to give him E-6.

Is this something the army has told them, or something they have concluded on their own?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

A masters in buttrape and goat husbandry.

Minor in chemistry with an emphasis on cooking meth.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I wonder if he qualifies for five years of overseas service bars. Dude would be stacked.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

^^^Perhaps a more apt comparison would be if Scott O'Grady had gotten himself locked up instead of hiding out in the woods in shame for a week. Nobody is going to argue that he isn't a douche.

Why don't we like Scott O'Grady again?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's a douche, he hosed up which led to his shootdown, he hosed up basically everything you're taught at SERE (they seriously use him as the example of what not to do), and he almost got himself killed by the Marines sent to pick him up by charging the helicopter with his loving pistol in hand.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That twitter guy has apparently done a bunch of interviews about Bergdahl and newspaper articles should be hitting stands tomorrow, WaPo, NYT, WSJ. He's also on Fox News tonight with Megan Kelly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Is this something the army has told them, or something they have concluded on their own?
Wolf Blitzer said it, broken clocks and stuff.

BigDave posted:

Why don't we like Scott O'Grady again?
Then he got all upset when Owen Wilson played a much more competent fictionalized version of himself in Behind Enemy Lines, because he disobeyed orders and used swear words.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Godholio posted:

He's a douche, he hosed up which led to his shootdown, he hosed up basically everything you're taught at SERE (they seriously use him as the example of what not to do), and he almost got himself killed by the Marines sent to pick him up by charging the helicopter with his loving pistol in hand.

Really? drat. Now I feel bad for buying his book at my school's Scholastic Book Fair.

Any source on this?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Courthouse posted:

This is purely my bias, but part of the reason that I take a lot of what that author at face value said is that I know him. Or at least knew him, we're not very much in touch nowadays outside of Facebook. He was always very smart, very good at looking at the big picture, and compassionate without being a pussy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LongDarkNight posted:

That twitter guy has apparently done a bunch of interviews about Bergdahl and newspaper articles should be hitting stands tomorrow, WaPo, NYT, WSJ. He's also on Fox News tonight with Megan Kelly.

I heard him on NPR earlier.

Casimir Radon posted:

Then he got all upset when Owen Wilson played a much more competent fictionalized version of himself in Behind Enemy Lines, because he disobeyed orders and used swear words.

Realtalk? I would be livid if Owen Wilson were cast as me in a movie about me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Shockingly Dick Cheney believes Obama has endangered the country!

E: but holy poo poo, it's like the White House wants to give Fox ammo with the press conference with Bergdahls dad. What a poo poo show

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 3, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

What's the story behind Bergdahl's dad? I saw a picture of him linked in one of the articles yesterday and he just looks like your typical anti-war protester. Is there more to him?

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Can I post my fantasy here?

K.

Bergdahl comes back, convicted of desertion and whatever else (assuming the stories are true, which it seems to be), gets a nice trip to Leavenworth.

A few months later the five dudes released from GitMo each get a Hellfire sandwich.

Obama walks up on stage, "Owned." *mic drop*

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

What's the story behind Bergdahl's dad? I saw a picture of him linked in one of the articles yesterday and he just looks like your typical anti-war protester. Is there more to him?
Looks like he's a Muslim or some kind of sympathizer. Said some Muslim prayer at the White House, and this:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

He grew it for :airquote:solidarity:airquote: and learned Pashto becausethat was somehow going to bring his son home. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Dantu posted:

Shockingly Dick Cheney believes Obama has endangered the country!

E: but holy poo poo, it's like the White House wants to give Fox ammo with the press conference with Bergdahls dad. What a poo poo show

McCain is going apeshit over congress or some oversight comity not being notified.

Lots of political posturing and monkey poo poo throwing over this.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

lol

I still chuckle every time I think of him bounding towards the Marine helo, M9 in hand.

Also just a reminder that we court-martialed Charles Robert Jenkins when he came back from spending drat near 40 years in North Korea and gave him 30 days + a DD. And that was for a guy who didn't hazard anyone's life by his dumbass behavior.

It would be nice to see the same accountability here but I'm not holding my breath.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

With the Boston Marathon bombers and the Florida suicide bomber being white, I'm not sure I know who to profile anymore. I guess we'll have to stick to people with un-American names.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
On my phones news app the other day I saw an article where it stated that Bowe could no longer speak English because of his captivity, only Dari. Which I thought was kind of weird, particularly since I was under the impression that the vast majority of Taliban were Pashtun.

And somehow Google chrome doesn't know Pashtun is a real word despite the US being involved in Afghanistan for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

psydude posted:

With the Boston Marathon bombers and the Florida suicide bomber being white, I'm not sure I know who to profile anymore. I guess we'll have to stick to people with un-American names.

There's still a common element. :ssh:

• Locked thread