Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Fired this poo poo up on my DSLite, but holy poo poo, I ain't touched it since I bought my 3DS back in 2011 and he battery was still charged :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The White Dragon posted:

Fired this poo poo up on my DSLite, but holy poo poo, I ain't touched it since I bought my 3DS back in 2011 and he battery was still charged :psyduck:

Mine even had the right date and time. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Edit: I found a spare old DS cart and it appears to still work. If you have a DS Lite (not a 3DS) and want it, let me know.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mutekiken is really fun. It's the only game so far I really feel compelled to go back and play in a non-challenge related capacity.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Okay, I need to get in on this. What's the best cart for 3DS (just for DS games) these days - and bonus points for a good place to get one to the UK!

A big OOPS and SORRY if this topic is a bit too :filez:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Here's a spoiler-free tip for Ace Detective Part 2 (although I'll spoiler it regardless) - write it in caps. You'll know what I mean when you get there, and you'll save yourself a massive headache.

EDIT: And it only applies the first time, apparently.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 3, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

a_big_dog posted:

Don't worry, flashcart chatter is kosher. There used to be a thread for it specifically, you just can't ask how to illegally acquire ROMs.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

a_big_dog posted:

Okay, I need to get in on this. What's the best cart for 3DS (just for DS games) these days - and bonus points for a good place to get one to the UK!

Your only real option for a 3DS is a Supercard DSTWO. It is the only one still being supported. Thankfully it is head and shoulders better than anything else on the market.

As for where to get one in the UK I have no idea.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Man, I am loving the hell out of Retro Game Challenge 2: Retro Harder. They took an already-excellent first game and built on its foundation in exactly the right way. Great humor, new consoles, new gimmicks.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Gun Duel is still my favorite out of all the games. The two player mode combination ship just tears everything to pieces.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I am glad to see that everyone is enjoying the game. I had an import copy not long since its Japanese release.

I just bought the official guide for both DS games from Amazon JP. Me and the author of the patch hope to create some guides on the website.

Everyone enjoy this wonderful game!

My Top 3 games from GCCX ANC2:
1. Gun Duel
2. Wizman
3. Demon Returns

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Annnnnnnd I completely missed that. Good story though!

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 3, 2014

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
And Then Renegade Kid shows interest in Bringing Retro Game Challenge 2 to the eShop
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229659-renegade-kid-shows-interest-in-bringing-retro-game-challenge-2-to-eshop

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'd buy it. DSLite's tiny screen just doesn't do it justice. I dunno, maybe upgrading to a 3DSXL just spoiled me :v:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
If they bought the fan translation from the team it would make it even better. Everybody wins

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Never gonna happen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't know why all of you people didn't just play through the game when it was released in Japan like all us cool guys did. :c00lbert:

One of the neat things about GCCX2/RGC2 that you might not have noticed yet is the game shop. You don't have to go there and it just contains games from the original so it's no big deal, right? Well, the games there are "special" versions of those previous games from the series. So you've got a promotional version of Haggleman, the "MSX" version of Cosmic Gate, and stuff like that. Yet another nifty touch to the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't even know how you'd buy a translation from a development as long and confusing as muddled as the GCCX2 translation without causing some kind of legal fuckup.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I don't even know how you'd buy a translation from a development as long and confusing as muddled as the GCCX2 translation without causing some kind of legal fuckup.

Considering they used assets from xSeed's translation of the first I'd assume it'd be a legal nightmare

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know why all of you people didn't just play through the game when it was released in Japan like all us cool guys did. :c00lbert:

I did this. But it really adds a lot for me to actually understand what the hell everyone is saying. Plus I love reading all the little supplementary material like the game manuals and such. I don't know why, but I find stuff like that entertaining as hell.

AaronTokunaga
Jun 3, 2014
Hi everyone. I'm Aaron Tokunaga-Chmielowiec and I'm the one behind this patch/project or whatever you want to call it.

Nina pointed me here. I had an SA account years ago but that went by the wayside so I just registered a new one.

I know there are still rough spots in the game, text that runs into or over window borders, etc. but it's still being patched by the team as I wrote thanks to the feedback from throughout the world over the past 24 hours. I patched about 130 items last night and I think I have about that many today too. I'll try to put out a 1.0.2 patch tonight. The epilogue slideshow and a couple of the manual inline graphics might take another day or so, though.

In any case I hope you are enjoying it. It was a nightmare of a project to get this far but very satisfying to see it come so far. I had no idea this was some kind of holy grail of translation projects; I just liked the show and retro games and wanted to tackle this. If you have any questions or comments for me I'm open to hear them.

Cheers,
Aaron

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AaronTokunaga posted:

Hi everyone. I'm Aaron Tokunaga-Chmielowiec and I'm the one behind this patch/project or whatever you want to call it.

Nina pointed me here. I had an SA account years ago but that went by the wayside so I just registered a new one.

I know there are still rough spots in the game, text that runs into or over window borders, etc. but it's still being patched by the team as I wrote thanks to the feedback from throughout the world over the past 24 hours. I patched about 130 items last night and I think I have about that many today too. I'll try to put out a 1.0.2 patch tonight. The epilogue slideshow and a couple of the manual inline graphics might take another day or so, though.

In any case I hope you are enjoying it. It was a nightmare of a project to get this far but very satisfying to see it come so far. I had no idea this was some kind of holy grail of translation projects; I just liked the show and retro games and wanted to tackle this. If you have any questions or comments for me I'm open to hear them.

Cheers,
Aaron

So far it's a really excellent job. It isn't flawless but I can't complain about it at all beyond the occasional typo or bug. Nicely done.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

AaronTokunaga posted:

Cheers,
Aaron
First of all, thank you and the rest of the team for an amazing job so far (I'm still playing on the 1.0 version because I didn't know there was a 1.0.1 until a couple hours ago and am too lazy to patch it :downs:). I haven't noticed any real big errors, but I think it's partly due to me not being super far in the game (I did the first challenge of the first detective game a few hours ago) and just the pure awe that I can finally play Retro Game Challenge 2 in English.

Seriously, you guys made the RGC2 translation one of my most anticipated games ever, and so far you did not disappoint in my eyes. :)

Also, the final/warnings page of the Demon Returns manual actually made me laugh despite the fact that my past couple days were pretty lovely for the most part. I take it it's more or less the same as the original version? If so, thank you for keeping that in. :)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
According to the GBATempt thread on these two most recent pages, Jools Watsham of Renegade Kid wants to bring the game and translation to the eShop. Though with my luck, it'll be a US-only release (thanks Reggie for giving the 3DS regions - I'd be fine with it getting a European release but not an Australian one since I can change the region, which I can't do if I change to a Nintendo Network account by the way so I'm never doing that) after which the translation patch gets taken offline forever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Again, never gonna happen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's not like using (touched up) fan translation is a new concept (Oath in Felghana) but haha yeah good luck getting the rights from everyone. Good loving luck.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Out of curiosity, how many sets of rights would that even be in total? One from Namco Bandai, another from indiezeroes, yet another from Fuji TV, one from Gascoin and one from each group that did base translation on the game, are there more?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

AaronTokunaga posted:

Cheers,
Aaron

It's a remarkably well-done fan translation and I've been enjoying it immensely. I played the game in Japanese originally but my Japanese wasn't even slightly good enough to get my head around the adventure and RPG games, I've been really enjoying those two in particular now that I can understand them.

Also the magazines, god I need to read the magazines now and learn all of the secrets. Thanks for everything, Aaron and everyone else involved!

AaronTokunaga
Jun 3, 2014

AnotherGamer posted:

Out of curiosity, how many sets of rights would that even be in total? One from Namco Bandai, another from indiezeroes, yet another from Fuji TV, one from Gascoin and one from each group that did base translation on the game, are there more?

From the ending credits of the game:

Shochiku Talent
B-Wild
Gascoin Co.
Point Pictures
Fuji Television
Indies Zero

Layup
Sentian
Digital Hearts

Bandai Namco
Bandai Digital (Studio)

This whole issue with "Renegade Kid" is a bit strange. There is a user on GBATemp "Mirby" that was trying to push for me to fully cooperate, give him (Jools Watsham) everything, we go away and pretend we don't exist and then let others profit off something a group of fans spent their time doing for free for the benefit of other fans. I asked him to remove his post on GoNintendo because he was putting words into my mouth "Aaron says he doesn't mind if you do this. But he says he wants to improve the quality or something, lol." In the post on GBATemp I was trying to imply that he is completely jumping the gun when I was in the middle of trying to debug and fix up random issues while he is talking about putting it on the eShop.

Oh well, enough of that. Back to bug and dialogue fixes. How I'm doing this with two kids not sleeping tonight is beyond me. It will take the graphics guys another day at least to get through the ending epilogue slideshow and a couple in-game magazine/manual images we missed so I have some time, anyway.

I have to apologize for the excess of random typos throughout the game. Too many nights working past 2am on this I guess. I am saving the "best" of the errors, though. These are quite funny in retrospect.

AaronTokunaga fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 3, 2014

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jools should know better about what it would take than rile up easily impressionable people on Twitter. Or just choose his words more carefully!

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm one of the cool guys! But I never got around to completing Guadia Quest Saga or the mystery text adventure games. I got pretty far in GQS, but since I didn't know how to properly use the Guadia's, the last parts of the game turned out to be a large chore, and the game became a lot less fun. And there is no way I could actually beat the text adventures.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

drat text adventure wasted no time in getting me into "try every menu option" territory. Arino is extremely sure I have to talk to whomever is in the office, which I did several times to no avail. Found the meeting room but although Arino seems to get some good ideas on how to deal with the locked door he just don't actually go through with trying them. :argh: I was pretty sure I tried every menu option everywhere but will give it another stab when I get home.

AaronTokunaga
Jun 3, 2014
If you need a walkthrough for the Adventure Games (both of them) I have a makeshift page I quickly whipped up that isn't linked anywhere because I wanted to put more strategy guides for the rest of the games, too.

http://www.gccxpatch.com/extras.html

Don't forget to check the GameFan magazines, too. There are hints in those.

In a sense the Adventure games feel a lot like the old Famicom disk adventures. They set you up and then abandon you, only to come back to hook you near the end. This is moreso true for the 2nd part of the Adventure, I thought.

AaronTokunaga fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 3, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

drat text adventure wasted no time in getting me into "try every menu option" territory. Arino is extremely sure I have to talk to whomever is in the office, which I did several times to no avail. Found the meeting room but although Arino seems to get some good ideas on how to deal with the locked door he just don't actually go through with trying them. :argh: I was pretty sure I tried every menu option everywhere but will give it another stab when I get home.
If you don't mind feeling a little shame, the latest magazine (I think it's the latest? Might be the one beforehand.) will tell you how to deal with your current situation under one of it's scratch-off hints.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^Huh, I must have missed it.

I have to say the whole "game magazine" function in the first two games is fantastic, such a brilliant idea.

AaronTokunaga posted:

If you need a walkthrough for the Adventure Games (both of them) I have a makeshift page I quickly whipped up that isn't linked anywhere because I wanted to put more strategy guides for the rest of the games, too.

Ahh, I think I see what I did wrong; I had a suspicion about this last night.

Game mechanics...spoiler? (Maybe this is mentioned in the manual I don't know)
Picking the same command twice in a row can give new results.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

AaronTokunaga posted:

Don't forget to check the GameFan magazines, too. There are hints in those.

In a sense the Adventure games feel a lot like the old Famicom disk adventures. They set you up and then abandon you, only to come back to hook you near the end. This is moreso true for the 2nd part of the Adventure, I thought.

Did you fix 106 in the 1.0.1. or 1.0.2. version? Because in my game (which was still 1.0) "Lake" wasn't accepted, only "LAKE" would work.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Finally got around dusting off my DS Lite, any way to speed up the text? It feels painfully slow for such text heavy game (awesome job translating it!).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

makere posted:

Finally got around dusting off my DS Lite, any way to speed up the text? It feels painfully slow for such text heavy game (awesome job translating it!).

Hold down B (if memory serves).

AaronTokunaga
Jun 3, 2014
TheMcD> Ah, "LAKE" or "lake" work but not "Lake" and there is a technical problem behind that. In the Japanese version the answer is みずうみ but it also accepts ミズウミ. In the source binary it accepts either if those two answers but no variants. I had to pick two and go with that for the English version. Fortunately みずうみ is "lake" and both are 4 characters.

There is another at the end to enter a name but in Japanese it lets you enter a number of name suffixes so I actually had more room to work with.

I probably should update that page to reflect that. It was made during the alpha version just to see if it was clearable in English.

AaronTokunaga fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 3, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AaronTokunaga posted:

TheMcD> Ah, "LAKE" or "lake" work but not "Lake" and there is a technical problem behind that. In the Japanese version the answer is みずうみ but it also accepts ミズウミ. In the source binary it accepts either if those two answers but no variants. I had to pick two and go with that for the English version. Fortunately みずうみ is "lake" and both are 4 characters.

There is another at the end to enter a name but in Japanese it lets you enter a number of name suffixes so I actually had more room to work with.

I probably should update that page to reflect that. It was made during the alpha version just to see if it was clearable in English.

Is it possible to prevent people from entering lower case characters at that input? You might not be able to do it cleanly, but it could be the most efficient solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm guessing so, my local ISP has always been kinda wonky. Thanks for the link.

Well for a bit more on the "Can't access the gccxpatch site" problem. For some reason my ISP seems to have blocked the website, I can access it from other locations (that use a different ISP), but at home I can't even access the site using the IP address.