Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, you'd win enough. The dice are enough of a factor that you always win some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

TheNabster posted:

Well gently caress it seems like Pass is winning.

Might as well rename him Flight Power if we are going to have him run away with the ball instead of hurting people.

I think you will find Wright Flight is a much better alternative.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OK, to be more precise: My team would be loving murdered before it could develop to the point where Khorne teams stop being absolutely terrible. I have endured Vampires, Goblins and even goddamned Halflings already. I daren't expose myself to another endearing-but-terrible gimmick team.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
If you give the wight pass you might as well give it dump off for extra fun.
I think NoS might be more useful even.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Khorne seem to be sort of like Norse, except they are terrible at low-to-mid TV where the Norse shine thanks to Block and are also terrible at mid TV where the Norse hang in thanks to more skills, good journeymen and damage potential. Also, Khorne looks to be terrible at high TV where Norse, too, struggle.

Edit: What I am saying is: Khorne looks terrible.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Khorne teams are the reason why you never pick fend or wrestle on linemen.
Complete waste of skill points.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Duuk posted:

Khorne seem to be sort of like Norse, except they are terrible at low-to-mid TV where the Norse shine thanks to Block and are also terrible at mid TV where the Norse hang in thanks to more skills, good journeymen and damage potential. Also, Khorne looks to be terrible at high TV where Norse, too, struggle.

Nah, Khorne should be pretty decent at mid-to-high TV IMO, they've got a surprisingly good skillspread and once you've got block/wrestle on most of your lovely cultists, you don't get a turnover every other block. The problem is that they're relatively low-strength and so need very, very careful positioning in order to surf your opponents. The Bloodthirster is also legitimately good - being able to blitz at str 6 is actually pretty nice, I think. Get him mighty blow and you've got a somewhat unreliable killing machine.

The problem with Khorne, again IMO, is surviving to mid-to-high TV. They also really suffer once people start getting Side Step and Stand Firm to mess up your surfing actions.

I mean, they're never *good*, but they've got a sweet spot where they basically overtake Norse, thanks to being able to develop every player into a quasi-positional of some kind. Their biggest problem is that they're even more finicky than goblins - you have to be *really* careful about your turn order or you will eat a turnover. Khorne matches should always end with a body count, though. They're sort of like the anti-Vampires, I guess - no really great players, but a lot of *decent* ones with fair potential. Except still a sub-par team at the best of times.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
You have a Bloodthirster, can you really say you have no great players?

Okay not great at like doing things that involve a ball that aren't killing a guy holding it, but he's still great at what he does.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
So which goon league is active and what is the password for it?
I want to play vs goons:(

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, but he's still a Big Guy with no General access and a negatrait. The 'thirster is good, but he's not great. Unless you luck out and get him Block, he really needs to use your Blitz to avoid falling over like a twit every ninth-odd block. And sometimes that just isn't enough, you know, with the Frenzy and everything.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

MRLOLAST posted:

The big one is the Giant Goon League. Password was "fuckgoons" last time I signed up. Best to get on the #tgbloodbowl irc and you'll find some goons willing to play.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MRLOLAST posted:

Get on the IRC, use the GGL, and it's probably fuckgoons

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It should be mentioned that you won't find matches against goons by just joining GGL and spinning the coin. Most matches are set up through IRC, just get on there and ask if anybody wants to bowl blood.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Duuk posted:

Yeah for bitch idiots maybe.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

MwaHahahahaha

TravBot posted:

Ra's al[/b] (or however it's spelled).
It's spelled like that exactly you unbelievable nerd. This is your final crisis.

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 2, 2014

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
We are now morally obligated to get the other wight some version of catch so the wight brothers can air it out.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

:siren:VOTING CLOSED:siren:

And the addition of Ra's al and the continued employment of Pelvis Costello warrants a new team photo

The team is now 1280 TV

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
And with that, Pelvis Costello's contract is effectively ironclad. FrankenCastle, however...

I agree with the other posters as well, if the other Wight rolls doubles, he needs Catch.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
While I like The Wight Brothers idea (pioneers of the first ball flight,) you should probably leave catch to a Ghoul, who get it on normals!

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
For the next insightful/instructional/helpful post can you explain setting up a league?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Box wine posted:

For the next insightful/instructional/helpful post can you explain setting up a league?
Yeah, sure

Blood Bowl 101

Lesson 4: Setting Up A League In Cyanide

Don't.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
How do these brackets work?!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

GNU Order posted:

Lesson 4: Setting Up A League In Cyanide

Step 1: Have a dumb idea.
Step 2: Set up the tournament league immediately.
Step 3: Suffer through the first two times.
Step 4: Get sick of it and let some other nerd take over.

How goes the Random Skill League anyway, GNU?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm glad we went with Pass on the Wight. Dodge is probably the 'right' choice, but it's boring, and the team already has 4 players with natural AG access, 2 of them start with dodge.

Passing isn't available to any member of the team on normals, so it's good that we have it on a player. Wights are agility 3 which makes them just as good at passing as any other player, and in my opinion, Wights are the one positional that is more inclined to options and flexibility in how they level up.

Your ghouls are your scorers, plain and simple.
Wolves are your hyper death machines. If you're scoring with Wolves as your first choice, you're doing it wrong.

Wights generally become more your flexible player, and if you want to get passing into the team, you generally want it sitting on a Wight. Assuming the next level is normals, this would lead to 2 potential options. Sure Hands is one option, as it will make him good at picking up the ball more easily so that he can throw it to a ghoul. Alternatively, Kick-Off retrun could be a good one so that he can get to the ball easily. A final option could be Fend which will let him keep away from enemies when he does get punched.

But yeah, I think Pass will actually be an interesting choice for the team and is far from just a 'funhaver' skill

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Don't forget strong arm, the strong man's accurate.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

If you're serious about him ever actually passing Sure Hands is the clear choice, since it actually makes him the best on the team at touching the ball. We don't really want him trying to throw long bombs anyway, and don't need them given how fast our likely receivers are. We can get Strong Arm eventually to make that option more viable but seriously we've already seen how unreliable touching the ball with AG3 and no Sure Hands is in the LP given how often GNU's had to reroll a pickup with a ghoul.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Yea sure hands is probably the best way to get the guy with pass to actually handle the ball, but strong arm would be my next choice after that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If you're going to be throwing the ball at a range where Strong Arm kicks in then Strong Arm is actually a better skill than Sure Hands. You'll have better odds overall even before you take into account that you now have the opportunity to drop a team rr on the pickup. If you're only throwing short little passes then Sure Hands is obviously better.

3+ Sure Hands pickup - 5+ pass with pass = 49% success
3+ pickup - 4+ pass with pass = 50% success, 67% if you spend a RR

And that's if you're going for accurate passes. If you just need inaccurate to bomb it to a deep wolf then strong arm is waaayyyy better.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah it does depend on what you're wanting to get out of a passing game and how often you want to actually use it.

Also petition for +Movement Werewolf to get Shadowing next level. Then he doesn't even need to blitz for things to hate him moving next to them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly i don't think a pass wight should be handling the ball until an actual pass happens, and then sure hands doesn't help.

In a perfect world the ghoul carries the ball around and the wight just exists as a passing threat. Put him down the field as part of a screen or marking a skink or something and just realize that at any time you could hand off, and pass. It's a powerful play.

You don't have to be the guy who picks the ball up to be a reasonable passer, it's just more commonly used that way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Agent355 posted:

You don't have to be the guy who picks the ball up to be a reasonable passer, it's just more commonly used that way.

Skaven don't do it that way! Although their ball-picker-uper does have pass.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

uPen posted:

Skaven don't do it that way! Although their ball-picker-uper does have pass.

And Sure hands.
This is because rats are assholes.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Pass doesn't make him a better passer. It's just a free reroll.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Steelpudding posted:

Pass doesn't make him a better passer. It's just a free reroll.

A free reroll makes it a ton safer. It takes a standard 3+pass from 66% chance of success all the way to ~88% (50% -> 75% for a 4+)
That's practically X-Com shooting odds, there.

Plus, as Agent mentioned, it gives Gnu another way to threaten. Sure 3 Agi passing isn't as reliable as elves, but it's still certainly an option. And if we get catch or diving catch on a ghoul it makes it even more of a threat.

Also, Jump Up doesn't make him a better passer either :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pass means we have the reroll available for the catch! At least until we give a dog catch, and diving catch (for the sweet, sweet +1 on accurate passes), and Pro. The best frisbee dog.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

goatface posted:

Pass means we have the reroll available for the catch! At least until we give a dog catch, and diving catch (for the sweet, sweet +1 on accurate passes), and Pro. The best frisbee dog.

Nerves of Steel and DC is plenty.

2+ catches ev'ry day.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, I'm a bit behind the thread - I just watched match #2 today. And then I played my first online game - it was with an Undead team against Khemri.

One of my Ghouls died, one of my Mummies got a bad injury, one of my Wights would have missed the next game and before the first drive ended I was about 4 players down. Suffice it to say that that team isn't going further. I suddenly sympathize a whole lot more with those Elves.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheMcD posted:

One of my Ghouls died, one of my Mummies got a bad injury, one of my Wights would have missed the next game and before the first drive ended I was about 4 players down. Suffice it to say that that team isn't going further. I suddenly sympathize a whole lot more with those Elves.

Welcome to Blood Bowl!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheMcD posted:

So, I'm a bit behind the thread - I just watched match #2 today. And then I played my first online game - it was with an Undead team against Khemri.

I played a game against Khemri with a team that had a Mummy with +1 Strength, Guard, and Block. That Mummy was a loving rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The Legendary Khemri Passing Game does work best if you've killed the entire enemy team before you start trying it.

• Locked thread