Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Good to know about the 192bit bus, because it's still in recent more affordable cards. I suppose I'll be good with a 7xx series card, since Maxwell cards won't be coming in 2014 from what I just found out.
On the GTX 760 they do it right and pair them with 1.5GB/3GB of VRAM, rather than trying to cram 1/2GB on there somehow, this should work without any complication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Alereon posted:

On the GTX 760 they do it right and pair them with 1.5GB/3GB of VRAM, rather than trying to cram 1/2GB on there somehow, this should work without any complication.

Yeah, 192bit buses aren't inherently bad, it's just that the 550ti had half of the VRAM chips hooked up to 2/3s of the memory bus while the other half had to work in clamshell mode with only 64bits, if I remember correctly.

Fame Douglas posted:

nVidia also has adaptive VSync, which is pretty aces.

Are there any benefits to using adaptive V-Sync instead of just capping the framerate in Nvidia inspector/Radeon pro?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

I think the recommendation for dk2 is a 780 or better.

I'd agree, it's only 1080p but DK2 runs natively at 75hz so that requires 25 percent more performance than 60hz. Plus frame drops are a lot more jarring with VR so overkill makes sense here.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

Are there any benefits to using adaptive V-Sync instead of just capping the framerate in Nvidia inspector/Radeon pro?

Capping the framerate does not eliminate tearing.

And while Radeon Pro does offer Dynamic V-sync Control, its development has also been halted. With nVidia, adaptive VSync is a regular driver feature not dependent on third-party efforts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fame Douglas posted:

And while Radeon Pro does offer Dynamic V-sync Control, its development has also been halted.

Son of a bitch, you're absolutely right. Looks like the guy is on the Raptr dev team now, so RadeonPro has taken a back seat.

I thought RadeonPro ∞ was on the horizon.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Alereon posted:

Starting with the GTX 550 Ti nVidia has also had a few cards that used 192-bit memory buses but with even power-of-two VRAM, which resulted in 25% of the RAM being wasted. On a 1024MB card for example, you'd have 768MB accessible over the 192-bit bus, but 256MB that was only reachable via one 64-bit bus, making it essentially useless. If a game actually tries to access data in this memory performance tanks nearly as badly as if it wasn't there. As I recall they eventually released drivers that kept data out of this region to fix weird stuttering and other issues.

I think I'm going to need a citation for that, as it is true that one memory bank has extra memory and lower bandwidth, in GTX 660Ti and 660 reviews there have not been any mentions of significant slowdown after going over 1.5 GB usage. Funnily though most memory usage I've seen my card is pretty much around 1.5 GB so I can't confirm as I don't think I have a game that would definitely use 2 GB of VRAM.

Edit: Using Crysis 2 with MaldoHD texturepack memory usage reported by GPU-Z and Afterburner is 1529 MB maximum. I still have no stuttering or slowdown even if I increase resolution past my normal resolution and memory usage does not increase so it might be that the 2 GB is usable but it's not visible to monitoring tools. If there is some free benchmark that is guaranteed to use 2 GB VRAM, I could give it a run.

Alereon posted:

I was going to say that the 760 has 256-bit memory bus but they've also introduced 192-bit version as well.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 2, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zero VGS posted:

I'd agree, it's only 1080p but DK2 runs natively at 75hz so that requires 25 percent more performance than 60hz. Plus frame drops are a lot more jarring with VR so overkill makes sense here.
The Rift site lists also 60hz and 72hz.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Rosoboronexport posted:

I think I'm going to need a citation for that, as it is true that one memory bank has extra memory and lower bandwidth, in GTX 660Ti and 660 reviews there have not been any mentions of significant slowdown after going over 1.5 GB usage. Funnily though most memory usage I've seen my card is pretty much around 1.5 GB so I can't confirm as I don't think I have a game that would definitely use 2 GB of VRAM.

Edit: Using Crysis 2 with MaldoHD texturepack memory usage reported by GPU-Z and Afterburner is 1529 MB maximum. I still have no stuttering or slowdown even if I increase resolution past my normal resolution and memory usage does not increase so it might be that the 2 GB is usable but it's not visible to monitoring tools. If there is some free benchmark that is guaranteed to use 2 GB VRAM, I could give it a run.

I was going to say that the 760 has 256-bit memory bus but they've also introduced 192-bit version as well.

For what its worth I used about 2gb with a 660ti before pretty consistently. There was definitely a threshold you can cross with it that it coudlnt deal with but it definitely wasn't passing 1.5 gb

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Rift site lists also 60hz and 72hz.

But you want to run it at the highest hz possible.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Really Corsair? REALLY? HG10 for your GPU bracket? COME THE gently caress ON.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

Really Corsair? REALLY? HG10 for your GPU bracket? COME THE gently caress ON.

Wait what?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

Wait what?

http://www.techpowerup.com/201497/corsair-unveils-the-hydro-series-hg10-gpu-cooling-bracket.html

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

:lol:

edit: besides the name... it looks like it has more potential than the G10 if it has direct contact with the vrms and memory. Too bad its way uglier. Not something that usually matters to me but its a striking difference

Also finally allow me to use all the square corsair coolers

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 2, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
That thing looks great. Doubt it would work on my classified though.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Seems like they will have to have a separate design for each PCB.

Since my MSI 780ti has a midplate that is separate from the heatsink the NZXT might still be the better option for me, or at least equivalent. I'm not sure if I should go all out with the AIO or not. One things for sure, it's time to throw out the Antec 300.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The G10 works wonderfully on my R9-290 on my latest iteration of the install, I used the bottom of the stock cooler by detaching the vapor chamber and fins, VRM temps are finally under control.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

The G10 works wonderfully on my R9-290 on my latest iteration of the install, I used the bottom of the stock cooler by detaching the vapor chamber and fins, VRM temps are finally under control.

Do you have a picture? :)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

Do you have a picture? :)

No, but I have to redo the mount soon-ish because I ran out of thermal pad for the VRAM. Detaching the vapor chamber is pretty easy, screw driver + blow torch.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
gently caress these elaborate cooler designs. I can't wait for socketed GPUs and stacked DRAM.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Elaborate coolers you say? :getin:

Hoping that I'll be able to reuse or at least mod my Accelero XP cooler for use on a 280X since I'm considering jumping on one soon to replace my 6970. Can't believe this PC is 3 years old now since the 2600K sure as hell doesn't feel like it.. Seems like most of the available coolers are pretty quiet though so I might try one out stock and see how it goes first since it looks like I won't have to deal with the lovely blower-style coolers anymore. I don't know if they'll come close to my current nigh-silent cooler but as long as there's no loud ramp-up at load I can probably deal with it. The MSI Twin Frozr 280X's look pretty nice but I think I read some bad things about MSI cards so I'll have to look into it I guess.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Gigabyte WindForce 290 is pretty great. I can't really hear I above my system fans.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

HalloKitty posted:

Son of a bitch, you're absolutely right. Looks like the guy is on the Raptr dev team now, so RadeonPro has taken a back seat.

I thought RadeonPro ∞ was on the horizon.

I could never get RadeonPro to work. I want dynamic V-sync so bad. :(

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Noise isn't really a concern of mine. I just think that they're hacked on and the form factor(slot in cards) really isn't optimal for the TDPs high end GPUs put out.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

eBay mining card trip report:
A buddy of mine just got one of those previously-used-for-cryptocoin-mining 280X video cards linked earlier in the thread. It works fine and isn't melted! However, it smelled of burning and literally had soot deposits on it. I guess some other nearby cards in the datacenter didn't survive the mining torture test.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

td4guy posted:

eBay mining card trip report:
A buddy of mine just got one of those previously-used-for-cryptocoin-mining 280X video cards linked earlier in the thread. It works fine and isn't melted! However, it smelled of burning and literally had soot deposits on it. I guess some other nearby cards in the datacenter didn't survive the mining torture test.
I got a Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 off a guy on Amazon. Box arrived and I noticed there was an extra letter on the box--a trailing X. Yeah, the genius sent me a 290X--for which he'd paid $700 not even two months prior--for the price of a used 290. And it works perfectly--overclocked it to 1125/1425, even. Sometimes you get lucky, I guess.

Basically buy the poo poo out of these cards idiots are dumping at hilarious prices, and reap the benefits of buttcoiner's tears.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I got a 280x from that fdcservers guy on ebay that is supposedly brand new. It looks the part, I didn't see any dust on it and it came with the little plastic caps that cover up ports on the back and the cross fire connector. I am most pleased so far.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cactus Jack posted:

I got a 280x from that fdcservers guy on ebay that is supposedly brand new. It looks the part, I didn't see any dust on it and it came with the little plastic caps that cover up ports on the back and the cross fire connector. I am most pleased so far.

Same, so far I have only tested it out a little bit but it definitely looked new and also came with all the caps.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

DrDork posted:

Basically buy the poo poo out of these cards idiots are dumping at hilarious prices, and reap the benefits of buttcoiner's tears.

You weren't kidding, I now have a brand new MSI R9 290 off ebay on the way for $270 :stare:.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

DrDork posted:

I got a Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 off a guy on Amazon. Box arrived and I noticed there was an extra letter on the box--a trailing X. Yeah, the genius sent me a 290X--for which he'd paid $700 not even two months prior--for the price of a used 290. And it works perfectly--overclocked it to 1125/1425, even. Sometimes you get lucky, I guess.

I missed the incident that made all these literal bitcoin clowns pump and dump their radeons, what exactly happened to their totally stable business plans in the last little while?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I missed the incident that made all these literal bitcoin clowns pump and dump their radeons, what exactly happened to their totally stable business plans in the last little while?

Litecoin difficulty went up a bunch and scrypt asics have gotten fairly common now. Maybe they caught up to the fact that all the scrypt altcoins poping up every night are pump and dumps, but buttcoiners.

Fame Douglas posted:

Capping the framerate does not eliminate tearing.

And while Radeon Pro does offer Dynamic V-sync Control, its development has also been halted. With nVidia, adaptive VSync is a regular driver feature not dependent on third-party efforts.

I've never had noticable tearing or input lag with a cap at 59fps, YMMV I guess.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 3, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrDork posted:

The fact that this happened with a card that isn't even covered by warranty (Sapphire) makes this even more lucky.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Difficulty went up and asics came out.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

MaxxBot posted:

You weren't kidding, I now have a brand new MSI R9 290 off ebay on the way for $270 :stare:.
There's more than a few 290's on eBay for around that price right now. All of the non-blower models seem to be going for ~$330 or more which is more than I want to spend on a used miner card, but a blower model is getting really tempting for these prices since I have a spare AC Twin Turbo to work with (bought 2 of them for ~$20 a few weeks ago).

Got a good deal on the modded card I'm using now on private forums, so I'm attempting to use eBay pricing to push down a couple new & barely touched cards instead of dealing with eBay directly. Almost considered getting another 69*0 for crossfire instead since they're so cheap, but I don't really want to bother with the extra power usage & heat.

I still find myself surprised when I come across listings that claim they picked up the cards within the last 3 months or so - You'd think by that point even the most delusional miners might have seen the writing on the wall.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 3, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How does running 24/7 for weeks under full load in an overheating rig affect longevity of the cards?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

How does running 24/7 for weeks under full load in an overheating rig affect longevity of the cards?

It reduces the life span of many of the components, such as mosfets and capacitors. The key word there is "overheating" though. If it's cool enough chances are really high that its fine.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Josh Lyman posted:

The fact that this happened with a card that isn't even covered by warranty (Sapphire) makes this even more lucky.
I got him to send me his original invoice, too, so I even get warranty coverage out of it.

And proof that not only did he buy it less than two months ago, but he was selling it to me at literally 1/2 the price he'd paid. I cannot imagine how disappointing this business transaction had to be for him.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

How hot are you talking? Lots of your poo poo is rated up to 105c on a good card.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

How hot are you talking? Lots of your poo poo is rated up to 105c on a good card.
Don't really know, I was just wondering about this regarding those cards used in bitcoin rigs being dumped onto Ebay, as just mentioned above.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
It's not in a miner's best interest to run cards overheated. Doesn't mean some aren't idiots though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't really know, I was just wondering about this regarding those cards used in bitcoin rigs being dumped onto Ebay, as just mentioned above.

He was atleast using them in an actual data center and not milk crates. As long as there is a warranty i wouldn't worry. He was running a multi million dollar operation.