Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Seriously, get a huge external, get crashplan and/or Genie Timeline, be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
This is my first time setting up a computer, and I'm upgrading the hard drive to a 500GB Samsung Evo but I'm just really unfamiliar with this whole process. I've heard that cloning from a hard drive to an SSD can cause problems later, is the same true for imaging? And if I installed the factory image onto the SSD would I still need to install Windows or is it part of the image?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

yellowyams posted:

This is my first time setting up a computer, and I'm upgrading the hard drive to a 500GB Samsung Evo but I'm just really unfamiliar with this whole process. I've heard that cloning from a hard drive to an SSD can cause problems later, is the same true for imaging? And if I installed the factory image onto the SSD would I still need to install Windows or is it part of the image?
Cloning and imaging are the same thing. The "factory image" usually includes the operating system installed as it shipped to you, but it may just be the restore partition used to install from. I generally recommend starting with a fresh install to the SSD for all the benefits a fresh install brings as well as the reduced disk space requirements, but if you'd prefer to keep your current installation that should be fine too, just disable and re-enable System Restore afterwards so it realizes it's installed to a new drive. I've had good luck with Macrium Reflect Free for cloning, others have used the Samsung software to good effect.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
As long as the partition(s) you're trying to clone from the OS drive will fit on the SSD, use the free version of Macrium Reflect and just clone them over. Delete the old system restore points from the OS drive and then run the System Experience Index once the SSD's installed if you're running Windows 7.

e:fb

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the clean install since there's not really anything I want to keep from the hard drive other than Windows 8.1, which I can just put on USB. Is partition alignment just another cloning issue?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Your partitions will be perfectly aligned when created with the Windows installer.

If you're cloning, Macrium Reflect offers alignment options.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Today Crucial released a new drive, the MX100. Basically it's a M550 with 16nm NAND, which means less chips/channels and the 128GB and 256GB drives are lower performance than the 512GB model.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Crucial-MX100-Affordable-Solid-State-Drive-Review/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

And it's $80.24 shipped on newegg

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

And it's $80.24 shipped on newegg

256GB is only $29 more

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The 3TB green WD drive I bought a few months ago has a 4k sector size. This its because WD uses a new error correction method where it only requires a few kb for a larger sector size. Instead of like a few kb for every 256/512k.

Should I use 4k sector size when formatting or a smaller size.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

SlayVus posted:

The 3TB green WD drive I bought a few months ago has a 4k sector size. This its because WD uses a new error correction method where it only requires a few kb for a larger sector size. Instead of like a few kb for every 256/512k.

Should I use 4k sector size when formatting or a smaller size.

4K sectors have been the standard in new drives for years now. At the point you should be using 4K sectors unless you have a very good reason not to (e.g. using something like ZFS RAID mixed with 512B sector drives).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

256GB is only $29 more

640K is enough for anyone.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, how are you supposed to make sure TRIM and a drive's garbage collection are fully doing what they're supposed to?

I decided to check my 840 Pro's performance for the first time in at least six months because the write performance seemed slow, and it turns out it had actually tanked from its original ~535 MB/s down to 120 MB/s. Over half of the drive is empty, so it's not a matter of low free space. I checked my drive using TRIMcheck and it says TRIM's enabled and working. After running Samsung Magician's "performance optimization" (this seems to be a manual TRIM and full garbage collection?) on it, it was back to its original performance, so I'm not sure what's going on. Is the drive just not performing its proper garbage collection processes on my system, so I have to occasionally run the optimizer in Magician? Is there any way to ensure it performs its full GC processes regularly? If it matters, I'm on Windows 7.

Also, does anybody know why random write performance seems to tank with System Restore on? It's cut in half with it on, and goes back to full performance if you turn it off.

edit: I did a clean install since something else was messed up with Windows, and now the random write performance is only a few thousand IOPS slower with System Restore on. Still no idea about whether or not the garbage collection is working properly.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 3, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Seriously, get a huge external, get crashplan and/or Genie Timeline, be happy.
I found someone to buy the 120GB off me when I'm done with it in a few weeks so I'll just stick with the 500GB and think about backup options that would work for me. Thanks.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel has released some rather impressive PciExpress SSD drives. Source.

:stare:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

256GB is only $29 more

Sale at TigerDirect on these:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6972254-crucial-mx100-solid-state-drives-512gb-200-256gb-100-128gb-70-ac-more

512GB $200
256GB $100
128GB $70

No rebates or anything.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Welmu posted:

:stare: indeed. I'm trying to get some asap to toss into some db servers here to see how they compare to our ssd based san. Also who am I kidding I will be buying a P3500 for home use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anandtech has done a full rundown of the new PCIe SSDs here.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8104/intel-ssd-dc-p3700-review-the-pcie-ssd-transition-begins-with-nvme

Mind blowing indeed. Also, not all that expensive.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
I really, really hope some consumer-level M.2 drives that support NMVe are released at either Computex or the Global SSD summit in August.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Welmu posted:

:wtc:

These are faster than the equivalent FusionIO drives and considerably cheaper.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hows Apple support for NVMe in hardware? OS X supports it already right?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Shaocaholica posted:

Hows Apple support for NVMe in hardware? OS X supports it already right?

Apple isn't a member of OFA, the body pushing the NVMe, so I don't think so.

edit:

jre posted:

:wtc:

These are faster than the equivalent FusionIO drives and considerably cheaper.

Look at QD1, they are about half as fast as Fusion-io.

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 3, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Reminder: Do not buy the Crucial MX100, at least until it's been out for awhile. Every Crucial drive has had serious firmware issues at launch, and you REALLY don't want to be an early adopter for Crucial drives given how difficult it is to get them to honor their warranty.

The MX100 probably has the best chance of not being problematic as its a minor revision to an existing model, but I'd still be extra cautious due to Crucial's track record. The value proposition for the 256GB and 512GB models looks pretty strong to unless serious issues are encountered or Samsung cuts their prices aggressively, I expect the MX100 will eventually become a recommended low-end drive at 256GB and 512GB. The 128GB model is goddamned awful so we need to make sure nobody accidentally buys one, however.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Bob Morales posted:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6972254-crucial-mx100-solid-state-drives-512gb-200-256gb-100-128gb-70-ac-more

512GB $200
256GB $100
128GB $70

No rebates or anything.
Jesus that's tempting but is it wrong of me to still be hesitant to buy a Crucial drive because of past fuckups?

edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^ That's kind of what I was thinking and why I wouldn't buy one even though I would like to upgrade my current SSD.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

real_scud posted:

Jesus that's tempting but is it wrong of me to still be hesitant to buy a Crucial drive because of past fuckups?

Is it going into your main machine or something else?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it going into your main machine or something else?
It'd be replacing my main machine's boot SSD. Need some more room and was thinking of picking up a 500gb EVO with my next paycheck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alereon posted:

Reminder: Do not buy the Crucial MX100, at least until it's been out for awhile. Every Crucial drive has had serious firmware issues at launch, and you REALLY don't want to be an early adopter for Crucial drives given how difficult it is to get them to honor their warranty.

The MX100 probably has the best chance of not being problematic as its a minor revision to an existing model, but I'd still be extra cautious due to Crucial's track record.

Worst case we have the 34nm to 25nm situation all over again.

trepsix
Jan 29, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

512GB $200
256GB $100
128GB $70

No rebates or anything.

Not a bad deal at all. I might consider grabbing one of 'em.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Worst case we have the 34nm to 25nm situation all over again.
Well, the worst-case is the Crucial M4, where the drive appears to be just fine and then a time-based bug kicks in (like the 5000 hour bug), and Crucial takes several buggy firmware revisions to fix it. This is the worst kind of bug since you're not going to get a refund or a working drive in replacement, all you can do is RMA, sell the replacement at a loss, and buy a different brand.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Alereon posted:

Well, the worst-case is the Crucial M4, where the drive appears to be just fine and then a time-based bug kicks in (like the 5000 hour bug), and Crucial takes several buggy firmware revisions to fix it.
I have one in my work machine and there was just the one firmware update to fix the 5000 hour bug. Worked perfectly fine since. I certainly wouldn't buy one for myself, though.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I have one in my work machine and there was just the one firmware update to fix the 5000 hour bug. Worked perfectly fine since. I certainly wouldn't buy one for myself, though.
The 5000-hour firmware fix introduced other bugs, for quite some time there was no fully working firmware available for the M4, you just got to choose which brokenness you could live with on your platform. Not all platforms were affected by all issues. For example, UEFI systems suffered more as I recall from drive ID issues, and in some cases it just came down to luck of the draw whether you would get bit by an issue that lost data.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
Is the Samsung 840 Pro still the fastest drive available on the market (that isn't PCIe)? I need something for a lab application (really quick read/write for auditory scene analysis), and cost really isn't an issue since I'm not buying it for myself. The PC it will be going into unfortunately doesn't have any PCI slots left since it has 3 sound cards and 2 video cards, so I'll have to go SATA. I'd prefer something >240GB in terms of size, but again it's not the biggest concern. All that matters is that it has a capacity of at least 64 GB and fast read/write.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Chemical Shift posted:

Is the Samsung 840 Pro still the fastest drive available on the market (that isn't PCIe)? I need something for a lab application (really quick read/write for auditory scene analysis), and cost really isn't an issue since I'm not buying it for myself. The PC it will be going into unfortunately doesn't have any PCI slots left since it has 3 sound cards and 2 video cards, so I'll have to go SATA. I'd prefer something >240GB in terms of size, but again it's not the biggest concern. All that matters is that it has a capacity of at least 64 GB and fast read/write.
Yes I think the Samsung 840 Pro would be the best choice for you. The SanDisk Extreme Pro launching on the 12th looks like it will be even better, but since its generally not recommended to buy SSDs soon after release the 840 Pro is the better option if you're buying promptly.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Chemical Shift posted:

Intel DC S3700 may be faster, especially if you're not able to trim, or going to be running 100% workload for extended periods.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Whoops, posted the wrong thing.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Apparently Samsung is coming out with a 32-layer 3D V-NAND SSDs later this year for the consumer and data center market. Not much more information is given.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/02/samsungs_sort_of_3d_ssd_news/

Will be interesting to see what kind of price and performance it will have.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

snipermonkey posted:

Apparently Samsung is coming out with a 32-layer 3D V-NAND SSDs later this year for the consumer and data center market. Not much more information is given.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/02/samsungs_sort_of_3d_ssd_news/

Will be interesting to see what kind of price and performance it will have.
Anandtech had more details on the current state of 3D NAND in their MX100 article. The upshot is that you won't see it in mainstream drives for awhile because the cost/GB is still substantially higher than 2D NAND, meaning it only really makes sense in density/performance limited applications, like maybe higher-end M.2 SSDs. For consumer drives TLC still seems to be the way to go for now.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Alereon posted:

I would point out that as Bob Morales mentioned 120GB is painfully small for a system drive.

Ask me about using a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 as the only drive in my laptop :shepicide:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

atomicthumbs posted:

Ask me about using a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 as the only drive in my laptop :shepicide:

Hope you like surfing the web and listening to internet radio. Although I bet you could fit one or two games on there. Of course you've probably disabled hibernation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shaocaholica posted:

Hope you like surfing the web and listening to internet radio. Although I bet you could fit one or two games on there. Of course you've probably disabled hibernation.

I've got hibernation and virtual memory! fortunately Google Play allows me to listen to music when I'm not at home, and foobar2000 pulls from my desktop when I am.

• Locked thread