Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
Just beat DmC. I thought it was great though I understand how it was disappointing to people who mastered the old Devil May Cry games. It just wasn't the same type of game. I think all the people who enjoy games like God of War would have loved it if they had bothered to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm trying to think of the last genuinely good western action game of this type and, God of War aside, I'm drawing a blank. Oni, maybe?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Metal Gear Rising is probably the best action game of that type to come out in the modern video game era. Never mind that it was made in Japan that game is a western gow action game through and through.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm trying to think of the last genuinely good western action game of this type and, God of War aside, I'm drawing a blank. Oni, maybe?

It's a weirdly underrepresented genre in western gaming, though looking at how this kind of game fared from western devs in the 2D days I don't think we missed much.

Mark of Kri maybe? I definitely don't think there's been a great western one since GOW. There were so many unpolished, borderline unplayable examples on the PSX/Saturn/PC in the late nineties, maybe developers got cold feet on the genre.

I have an old press kit/media CD thing for Myth II. There's a hype section at the end of it for Oni and this squad action/RTS hybrid called Halo. Anyways the best thing is how they kept hyping up that Oni's levels were ***DESIGNED BY A REAL ARCHITECT*** which meant they paid some guy extra $$$ to make a bunch of warehouses and blue corridors.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 5, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I've heard good things about Aces Wild but I haven't played it myself. I think the thing that makes Japanese action games so different is an almost fanatical attention to details and subsystems at the expense of visuals and breadth. It's almost a different philosophy of game design.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

notZaar posted:

I've heard good things about Aces Wild but I haven't played it myself. I think the thing that makes Japanese action games so different is an almost fanatical attention to details and subsystems at the expense of visuals and breadth. It's almost a different philosophy of game design.

Oh yeah, I have to check out Aces Wild - I forgot to! Thanks for the reminder. From what I've seen it looks very reminiscent of Viewtiful Joe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death

W-was that good? :O

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shockingly yes, it was actually a pretty fun game that came absolutely out of nowhere.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Shockingly yes, it was actually a pretty fun game that came absolutely out of nowhere.

Cool, buying it now! Let's see if it has any interesting mechanics.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure to post your thoughts on it once you play it for a couple of hours. I thought about buying it myself but I've been burned by lovely goon recommendations before.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

notZaar posted:

Make sure to post your thoughts on it once you play it for a couple of hours. I thought about buying it myself but I've been burned by lovely goon recommendations before.

It is currently £4 on steam so it certainly isn't a wallet drainer O.o

My thoughts on Aces Wild:

It is very much like viewtiful joe - lots of knocking around enemies into each other - and it has some pretty cool framing mechanics. There is a meter which builds up the difficulty of the enemies and the damage you deal while stacking multiplier, and a button that dumps the meter and heals you while resetting your multiplier. So the idea is you can use it to get through the levels early on, and as you get better you use it less and less and maintain your multiplier.

However (and this is probably because I've only given it a hour or so) I find the visual presentation extremely offputting. The impact FX are huge and you frequently end up in a situation where you literally cannot see your character OR the surrounding 5+ enemies. It is however very very kinetic feeling.

I'd say it's worth a look if you're interested in the genre, but don't go into it expecting anything other than a score-based arcadey sidescrolling brawler based in solid character action mechanics.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's more like GoW than say Devil May Cry, but I feel like it's fast and the gameplay is snappy enough to be at least a fun 20 buck purchase. Even less than that? GREAT!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Noitu Love 2 Isn't really like DMC, but it's a fast-paced 2D action game where you jump around like a mad-man and perform combos. You aim with the mouse where you want to jump/attack. After you've beaten the game you can unlock at least two other characters with completely different move-sets - one makes the game more of a shoot for example. I thought it was a lot of fun but remember it's really really short. It's like a SNES/arcade action game so you can waltz through it in no time. Your mouse hand will get really tired as well!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 5, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
My copy of DMC: A Divine Comedy, arrived today:

It's meant to be an overview of the whole series, with trivia, development history, etc.

There's a few problems with my copy, in that French typography ('<<>>' as speech marks for example) and sentences keep creeping in at random (as well as an overall lack of editing), resulting in poo poo like;

Sleeping Editor posted:

Did players simply disagree with the choices and direction proposed by NT? Or were fans just uncomfortable with a reboot of their cult series and thus lost interest? aux choix et orientations de NT? [sic]
That last section just being "with the choices and direction" section untranslated, and shoved at the end of a disconnected sentence.

Or simple errors like Dante's intro helpfully saying that his guns are called Luce and Ombra, and its bizarre insistance on calling Yamato, "Yamato Saber" everytime it's mentioned.

The actual content itself is nothing remarkable (the trivia seems to be mostly pulled verbatim from the wikia of all things! Or just from wikipedia in general), aside from a sorta dissection of DMC2's failings, and what the resultant DMCs did to improve on that.

The info on the reboot seems to have been written in dribs-and-drabs, resulting in hilariously juxaposed things like one chapter saying:

Capcom and the Westernization of Licences posted:

Ultimately, DmC turned out to be an excellent game. The partnership was fruitful for both sides. Praise is certainly due to the English studio for its ideas, audacity and overall work, as well as to Capcom for their intelligent project management.

[Then some stuff about how Capcom's struck a balance with its western devs and how it's likely to continue.]

Followed immediately by:

Conclusion posted:

...However, the reboot does not seemed to have met with the success it deserves. Only two weekes after release, Capcom lowered its expectations [... to] 2 million copies, it went on to rethink its decision and decreased the number to between 800 K and 1.2 million copies.

[Then some rhetoric about why, this game didnt' sell, and that Capcom seemed to have cooled off western devs ATM]

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
So, on-the-fly style switching in DMC3 is now a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQtEpP97tfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0FQtvymeg

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Oh my god why did it take someone this long to mod this I am so happy right now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp, now I want to play that version of DMC3 super bad.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Holy crap. It's what I was hoping for from the HD Collection (which didn't happen of course because Capcom). Now I wish even more that they'd port the HD Collection to PC so we can mod it to make the ultimate version of DMC3.

The mod creator said they're going to see if weapons can be swapped in the same way. That would be so amazing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, I wanted more reasons to play DMC4, not less

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

Mod out level 18 and 19, the Pope fights, rework Chimeras, board games, and add a Credo fight with Dante.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd love to hear the thread's opinion of DMC2. What went wrong?
vvvv Right, I know that part-I'm more curious from a design perspective, what were the poor decisions that were made, and how were they arrived at?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

They tried to rush out a sequel with an unprepared development team. There's not a lot else to it. It was the very definition of an attempt to cash in made by a substudio who just wasn't prepared to follow up on it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Did those rumors that DMC2 was a different game entirely and just slapdashed into a Devil May Cry sequel ever get confirmed?

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Blitz is the best enemy in the DMC franchise.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Discendo Vox posted:

vvvv Right, I know that part-I'm more curious from a design perspective, what were the poor decisions that were made, and how were they arrived at?

In DMC1 you essentially had two melee weapons. Each was satisfying to use, and because both movesets had very clear uses/strengths and you could change between them at any time it rewarded you changing between weapons a lot which feels fun and helps keep the combat dynamic. In DMC2 you have regular sword, long sword, and strong sword. Each of these things has the exact same (boring, limited compared to the sword in dmc1 and with controls that don't make much sense) movelist, and you had to go into a bunch of menus to change between them.

In DMC1 you had four guns that all had very clear differences in how they work, and even if the handguns were a little weak and you had no real reason to use the demon laser over air raid or DT bullets none of them were useless (but didn't invalidate the fancy sword stuff that was the reason this game isn't just the next resident evil game). In DMC2 the guns are hilariously overpowered (not helped by the fact that only using guns doesn't ruin your style meter and the enemy/level/moveset design making hitting people with your sword a pain in the rear end) and they all work the exact same besides the rockets (which isn't even as unique as the grenade launcher and is basically just really slow moving bullets that will never hit anything half the drat time).

In DMC1 you had kinda interesting enemies like demon marionettes and spooky ghosts with giant cutting shears and poisonous monkeys. In DMC2 you have a lot of skeletons and other generic looking evil poo poo that looks like it came out of an AD&D manual. DMC1 enemies had all sorts of interesting patterns, gimmicks and weaknesses (updated in your little enemy guide thing), in DMC2 enemies are lucky if they have more then one move. The AI is a lot less ruthless too.

In DMC1 you basically just had four bosses (fire spider, lightning bird, ice blob-of-poo poo, dark knight) copypasted three times each and then a dumb star fox thing at the end, but the bosses themselves are interesting and every time you fight them there are new gimmicks for you to deal with (and since you have more gear/moves, new ways to fight them) which keeps them fresh. In DMC2 pretty much every boss is "giant indistinct piece of poo poo monster that you dodge it's telegraphed as gently caress attacks and shoot at a lot" (the most infamous of these being that goddamn infested helicopter, a boss that's literally just 10 minutes of shooting at a helicopter that spends most of the time offscreen, nothing says "exciting and stylish action game" like watching dante shoot into the air like a texan forever). There's like one, maybe two good bosses in this game and even then they're nowhere near as intense as anything in the first.

In DMC1 you were kinda doing a super metroid thing where (while the game was very linear and broken up into levels) it mostly all took place in the same castle/island until the last few levels where you go into hell. Walking past a room in mission two, then having to walk back because you only got the key in mission four is a neat thing. In DMC2 every level is completely blocked off from the others, and the only one that isn't linear as gently caress is instead an annoying slog as you walk in circles looking for orbs to open a door. There are no secret rooms or well hidden bonus missions in DMC2, and they didn't even bother to make 20 unique levels to match DMC1's 20 missions because a bunch of the levels are just "boss fight in arena, cue next level" and lucia only gets like 12 levels (most of which are either carbon copies of stuff dante does, or a dante level in reverse. She does get the one good level in the entire game with the clock tower though, GJ lucia.)

In DMC1 there were those annoying underwater segments, but they were pretty short and easy so once you got used to the wierd framerate it wasn't bad. DMC2 has several levels that are ALL ABOUT being underwater (they even make you fight a boss in that poo poo) and the controls are even worse.

In DMC1 Dante did goofy stuff like call a giant lava spider fat or tell a giant bird to flock off because he has feathers lol get it. In DMC2 dante's only has a handful of lines because they turned him into a brooding Sephiroth wannabee or something who's cool because he stares off into the distance and is all mysterious or whatever. There's only like one good line from him in the entire game. I can't even enjoy this as it's own thing because it's just boring as hell. Lucia's story has a lot more talking which is a problem because her voice acting is loving terrible. She changes accents mid-sentence, an entire game of this bullshit is way worse then filling dark souls with light, which is at least funny.

In general the game just lost all of it's sense of style from the first. There are no scenes where Dante lifts his body up all the way through a sword (including it's giant spiky handguard) instead of removing it from his chest just to show off he can, instead dante jumps off a lot of buildings. When he does the stinger, Dante doesn't power-slide across the room and then slam the enemy really far away, instead he takes two steps forward, stabs them and then they fall over. You don't get to do a cmon motion with your gun in a flippant manner in order to build back your magic meter that lets you do cool stuff (they also totally hosed up how devil trigger works in this game), instead you get to shoot them a whole lot because this is the new Dante that doesn't taunt people (or do anything besides generic matrix/blade poo poo, for that matter).

They took literally every single reason why the first game was such a hit and replaced it with something way less interesting, while taking the issues people had with it and either not changing it or making it worse. The one exception to what I just said is the proto versions of the styles from dmc3 that are in dmc2 (with the roll button, fancy new ways to shoot guns, actual midair combos) but none of that stuff is actually worth using in this game so it's pointless. I'm glad capcom for some reason gave the team a second shot at this poo poo because then they made dmc3 and that game is incredible and fixed pretty much everything I just bitched about, but DMC2 is way worse then even the ninja theory game because at least they copied a lot of stuff from good games like dmc3/4 when it came to gameplay instead of new coking the poo poo out of everything.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 3, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Also, DMC2 doesn't have a song even a 10th of memorable as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGcliA-HNw

e: as for how they arrived at all of this, if I had to guess they just misunderstood why people liked the first game really badly and were also kinda pressed for time by capcom or something/not very good at making videogames yet

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 3, 2014

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

darealkooky posted:

Also, DMC2 doesn't have a song even a 10th of memorable as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGcliA-HNw

Ultra violet is a great song but DMC2 was made to look even worse when DMC3 came out and had one of the best boss themes ever made: Vergil battle #2.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The DMC2 team rallied and gave us DMC3 and 4 so I like to think of DMC2 as a prototype that was accidentally finished and released.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DMC 2 does have a spectacular Dante design though, give credit where it's due.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Aurain posted:

DMC 2 does have a spectacular Dante design though, give credit where it's due.

I don't see the good design there. I mean it's better then shirtless Dante but his designs for 1 and 4 are way better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SirDan3k posted:

Did those rumors that DMC2 was a different game entirely and just slapdashed into a Devil May Cry sequel ever get confirmed?

Sure you're not thinking of the first game which started out as a Resident Evil sequel until someone noticed a bug where enemies would stay in the air if you kept shooting them?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AccountingNightmare did a great LP of it, and had a video explaining where it went wrong.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

AccountingNightmare did a great LP of it, and had a video explaining where it went wrong.

All those are blip links, which are gone. See here for the retrospective on her youtube account.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Oop, someone reminded me that the links on the archive were dead and then I completely forget. I'll get in contact with someone to have them fixed. Here's the Youtube playlist of the LP: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL392CD36D7D13A857

But yeah, DMC2 has a few offensively bad moments (particularly certain boss fights), but overall it's just really bland and lifeless.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
New Bayonetta trailer! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvP4EFjagfU

They're including the original game, with some bonus Nintendo IP themed costumes. It's coming out this october.

Also, new demo footage.
Lumen Sage boss!
And some character renders:

[e]: Sweet!
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 11, 2014

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
60fps version here for those of the high speed persuasion:

http://videos.videopress.com/ebOzQphn/e3-2014-60fps_hd.mp4

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure you're not thinking of the first game which started out as a Resident Evil sequel until someone noticed a bug where enemies would stay in the air if you kept shooting them?

No, a little bit after DMC2 came out there was a rumor that in a rush to put out a sequel (since DMC being a hit was a surprise) they co-opted another partially finished action game, one that had originally been more gunplay focused.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

I'm super late to this, but...Final Fight: Streetwise.

ha ha no wait come ba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

New Bayonetta trailer! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvP4EFjagfU

They're including the original game, with some bonus Nintendo IP themed costumes. It's coming out this october.

Also, new demo footage.
Lumen Sage boss!
And some character renders:

[e]: Sweet!
VVV

I was stuck with the lovely PS3 version so I'm super glad they're including the first one.

• Locked thread