Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When I was in college I drove a beater '88 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Did a Dunkin' Donuts run for the crew of my part time job at Sam Goody. On my way back, with a hot chocolate in between my legs because lol cupholders in a car from 1988??

Car cuts me off blasting through an intersection, right through the red, so I had to slam on the brakes. Lid pops off the hot chocolate and not only did it scald the skin around my frank and beans, but I was wearing tan khakis and it looked like I had messy diarrhea for the rest of the day. My boss offered to let me know buy a new pair of pants (we were in a mall), but I was too loving poor to buy a new pair of pants. That was not a fun day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Was on my way home late last night, when we pull up to a stoplight. 3 through lanes, two left-turn lanes. I'm in the center through lane, a Jeep Cherokee is on my left, and behind me comes some guy in a car flashing his headlights like crazy. He pulls up on my right and starts gesturing/yelling at the person in the Jeep to my left. He then proceeds INTO the intersection (cutting me off) and just... sits there continuing his rant or whatever, blocking two lanes of Southbound cross traffic. The left turn lights soon come on, and he and the Jeep both cut off other left turn traffic and head off to the North. Late night drunken rage or what, I'll never know.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Apologies for the lovely cellphone photo. The dry looking parts of the wet tyre were showing worn canvas. I looked up the registration at home and he's due for APK in a couple of weeks, though I seriously wonder if he'll make it that long without blowing the tyre.

Thankfully this is a fail on the APK, so if he manages to not kill someone until then, he'll be forced to fix it or have the registration suspended. If you can afford the roadtax on a diesel sedan like that, you can afford a set of tyres.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's an APK? Some kind of annual inspection?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Driving through Kirkland yesterday along the waterfront and come across this guy on a bicycle was wobbling around in the middle of the street. Turns out he is trying to ride with his arms outstretched and no hands on the handle bars. He nearly wrecks in front of me and by this time turns around to see there is a car behind him. So he wobbles off into the bike lane. I start to speed up from 20 to 30 and pull a little into the oncoming traffic lane (it was empty) and attempt a pass. What does captain awesome do? Again he tries to ride his bike with his arms stretched out and nearly wrecks again. So I honked to let him know that 'hey dipshit, I'm right behind you in a 4,000lb brick of steel (Volvo 245)' and he nearly wiped out into the sidewalk.

These are the people I share the road with.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

InitialDave posted:

What's an APK? Some kind of annual inspection?

Yes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection#Netherlands

Though the older your car is the less frequently it has to be checked so :confuoot:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Solar Coaster posted:

Driving through Kirkland yesterday along the waterfront and come across this guy on a bicycle was wobbling around in the middle of the street. Turns out he is trying to ride with his arms outstretched and no hands on the handle bars. He nearly wrecks in front of me and by this time turns around to see there is a car behind him. So he wobbles off into the bike lane. I start to speed up from 20 to 30 and pull a little into the oncoming traffic lane (it was empty) and attempt a pass. What does captain awesome do? Again he tries to ride his bike with his arms stretched out and nearly wrecks again. So I honked to let him know that 'hey dipshit, I'm right behind you in a 4,000lb brick of steel (Volvo 245)' and he nearly wiped out into the sidewalk.

These are the people I share the road with.

Don't worry, he will be dead soon enough.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Driving back home from Richmond on I-64, passed a Dodge Caravan. The driver had his left foot out the window, resting on the mirror, left hand on the steering wheel, and smart-phone in his right hand, staring at it intently. :bravo:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Terrible Robot posted:

Driving back home from Richmond on I-64, passed a Dodge Caravan. The driver had his left foot out the window, resting on the mirror, left hand on the steering wheel, and smart-phone in his right hand, staring at it intently. :bravo:

That's when he hits something at a high rate of speed and that leg just goes sailing out the window, flopping around and ragdolling across the highway.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

I will say, the only place, I turn into an aggressive tailgating rear end in a top hat is on 2-lane roads with no passing zones after you have passed a marked turn-out. The only way to get stupid tourists out of the way is to scare them as far as I can tell. Going to my parents house (on hwy 1), they can cost be a good 30-45 minutes or more.
US-54 across Kansas is mostly 2 lane in the country, with passing lanes every so often. Last time through, at one of the passing lane sections there was a trooper with a customer, so everyone had to stay left to keep a lane between them and the trooper (state law) and I just giggled at the horrible situation.

PS: gently caress US 54 except of 4th of July, when everyone buys shitloads of bottle rockets and I get a show as I drive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Carrying mugs of coffee into a car is something that shows up in tons of commercials yet is completely unworkable in real life. I don't get it. I tried it once and spilled coffee over loving everything.

The autoseal Contigo mugs are the poo poo. They keep heat forever. Worth every penny.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
You know what's worse than someone doing 60mph in a 75mph zone? People who get on the freeway and set their cruise control to 72mph in a 75 zone. They're going slow enough that it's annoying to be stuck behind them but not so slow that you can easily overtake them :argh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Are you in some strange form of car that can't accelerate past 75mph?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

My Honda Fit hated the poo poo out of any speeds faster than 70mph. It'd do it but in the most grudgingly way possible. Think "teenager going to church" crossed with "dog eating medicine".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last night there was a guy doing 35 in the left lane on a 50 mph road in some kind of (surprisingly stock) 90s Honda Civic. There was a full size ambulance about 1 ft from his bumper. I am in the right lane behind a bunch of cars doing 45. As I'm passing the ambulance on the right, he decides he was tired of this jackass in front of him and starts to come into my lane. I braked hard, the ambulance made the lane change and passed the Civic.

Sometimes I wonder if I had a truck or SUV, would other people see me better? Do they just ignore regular cars? Would I be able to see around them? I mean, I avoid parking next to SUVs in parking lots because they make it difficult to see down the lane when backing out.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Elmnt80 posted:

No but when I'm on a long drive through the country I like to sit at the speed limit or maybe 1-2 miles over the limit so if I come up behind someone doing 1-2 miles below the limit I have to slow down, wait for a safe opportunity to overtake then speed up enough to get in front of the slow driver and put a safe gap between us before I can resume my normal cruising speed and it's just an annoying thing to deal with :shrug:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

FogHelmut posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I had a truck or SUV, would other people see me better?
As someone who used to drive a red minivan, a highly visible object in any sane universe, I can confidently answer: No. No, they would not.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Last night there was a guy doing 35 in the left lane on a 50 mph road in some kind of (surprisingly stock) 90s Honda Civic. There was a full size ambulance about 1 ft from his bumper. I am in the right lane behind a bunch of cars doing 45. As I'm passing the ambulance on the right, he decides he was tired of this jackass in front of him and starts to come into my lane. I braked hard, the ambulance made the lane change and passed the Civic.

Sometimes I wonder if I had a truck or SUV, would other people see me better? Do they just ignore regular cars? Would I be able to see around them? I mean, I avoid parking next to SUVs in parking lots because they make it difficult to see down the lane when backing out.

The best is when they think you can easily see over them, when that's not the case, especially with newer crossovers being as tall or sometimes taller than my stock(ish) Jeep.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gileadexile posted:

The best is when they think you can easily see over them, when that's not the case, especially with newer crossovers being as tall or sometimes taller than my stock(ish) Jeep.

The worst is when you cant see ahead of them, and instead of braking they just swerve into the other lane and keep going, leaving you with a surprise emergency braking situation as a line of stopped cars suddenly appears in front of you.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gileadexile posted:

This is great when I'm trying to turn right out of my neightborhood, and the loving SUV in the left turn lane pulls past the stop line and far enough forward that I can't possibly see oncoming traffic without pulling into the flow. Which is great when there's a line of six cars waiting behind me.

The best part? The light is synchronized to the next intersection (it's a T-intersection less than 1/8 mile from a 4-way, so the 4-way has higher priority), so inching forward on the sensor doesn't make the light trip any faster, all it does is block that sight line. :argh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I learned to be wary of this. If there's a line of slow or stopped cars (say, if a left turn lane gets backed up), always assume that some guy is going to just pull out into your lane without looking. Same if somebody ahead of you in another lane slows down even a little bit or slows to take a right turn, assume the guy behind him is going to swerve because gently caress tapping the brake pedal I guess.

It's not about being visible, most of the people doing this just aren't looking at all or take the briefest of glances in their mirror.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I drive ambulances every day, and I'm sorry for what happened to you, but sometimes it gets hectic in there. I have to juggle jackasses going 35 in a 65, the dispatch radio, the fire radio (in Phoenix), patching to hospitals if the medic/nurse partner can't do it, and regular driving. Plus they're difficult at best to see out of. Passing an ambo on the right in any situation, much less when they're on the rear end of somebody (only do that when about to pass, otherwise we leave a ton of room), is a risky maneuver. Doesn't excuse no signal, but that's 50/50 he forgot vs it was broken :v:

Pro tip: if you're behind an ambo and they turn on the load/rear scene lights, back off, because you're too close.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Leaving the gym yesterday, driving down a lane in the parking lot. I need to turn left across another lane to get to a stop sign, so any car proceeding by me has the right of way. Two cars in a row slowed down and stopped and were waiting for me to move. I am so over this poo poo I just made unblinking eye contact with them with a :what: expression on my face until they got uncomfortable and (correctly) drove on.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I was driving down a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way with no median) with a speed limit of 35 over the weekend. Some clueless idiot in a honda/toyota sedan of some kind was attempting to turn left from a parking lot, and merge with the direction of traffic that I was driving in. There wasn't much traffic around. As far as I remember it was just me going the direction they wanted to go and someone coming from the opposite way. This woman pulls out with PLENTY of time to not only safely get up to speed to be in front of me but also in no way come close to interfering with the oncoming cars path. She pulls out, gets somewhat pointed in the direction she wanted to go, but facing oncoming traffic in the wrong lane and then waited until the last second to pull out into my lane with just enough time for me to lay on the horn and lock up my brakes. It was one of those things where you see it happening in slow motion and you're thinking "go on, get on with it, wait what the gently caress are you doing? Oh gently caress you moron! HONK!". People are absolutely clueless.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Can someone explain to me what is so loving difficult to understand about the following sign?

I can't tell you how many times I'm entering the added lane and someone in front of me stops for traffic in the next lane. There's no need to stop, you have your own drat lane!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some loving retard in a Ranger in the left lane of i90 this morning got pulled over.

And by that I mean a cop was hiding in the median and pulled out behind them with the lights going. What did they do? The logical thing, they slammed on the loving brakes IN THE LEFT LANE and came to a complete halt in 80mph free flowing traffic.

The number of truck horns I heard and the amount of brake smoke I smelled was commensurate with the stupidity of this act... last I saw in my rearview mirror was the idiot being verbally abused by a very, very irate state police officer.

I hope he cut their loving license up and called them a cab to the nearest adult daycare.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Solkanar512 posted:

Can someone explain to me what is so loving difficult to understand about the following sign?

I can't tell you how many times I'm entering the added lane and someone in front of me stops for traffic in the next lane. There's no need to stop, you have your own drat lane!

I get this all the time in a certain intersection near my house. There is a yield sign there instead of that sign, but it leads into a lane all by itself, just loving go. Still doesn't bother me as much as people who sit at a stop sign on a cross street with a 4 way stop, and wait for me to come from half a block away, reach the stop sign, and come to a stop, before they bother to go. I so badly want to just blow through the stop when people do that.

XK fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 3, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

XK posted:

Still doesn't bother me as much as people who sit at a stop sign on a cross street with a 4 way stop, and wait for me to come from half a block away, reach the stop sign, and come to a stop, before they bother to go. I so badly want to just blow through the stop when people do that.

This is like complaining that people don't trust turn signals.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

You're missing the rest if the sign where the added lane either merges in 20 feet or (my personal favorite) the added lane goes straight to a busy on ramp that everbody needs right now.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Some loving retard in a Ranger in the left lane of i90 this morning got pulled over.

And by that I mean a cop was hiding in the median and pulled out behind them with the lights going. What did they do? The logical thing, they slammed on the loving brakes IN THE LEFT LANE and came to a complete halt in 80mph free flowing traffic.

The number of truck horns I heard and the amount of brake smoke I smelled was commensurate with the stupidity of this act... last I saw in my rearview mirror was the idiot being verbally abused by a very, very irate state police officer.

I hope he cut their loving license up and called them a cab to the nearest adult daycare.

Saw basically this happen on i95 a couple weeks ago.

I'm cruising in the left lane and I see a cop getting on the highway, so I move over to the middle lane and slow down a bit. Just as I expected he blasts past me in the left lane doing ~90 a few seconds later. I pop in behind him and ride along pretty good for a bit, until he comes up on one of those little Japanese box trucks doing about 70. The cop sits behind him for about 15 seconds, then hits the lights.

The truck, which clearly hadn't seen the cop until this point, brakes HARD and starts drifting into the left median, kicking up gravel all over the cop car. The cop car stabs his brakes to avoid hitting the van, pops on his siren and starts angrily waving the truck over to the right. The truck of course doesn't notice this, slows down so much the cop has no choice but to pass him on the right, who then paces him in front, still waving him back over to the right. I meanwhile moved back over to the middle lane to avoid this whole scene.

The funny part is, the cop was just moving a couple miles up the highway to do traffic duty at some construction. I'm sure he probably cited that truck driver for everything he could think of.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Solkanar512 posted:

One of the intersections changed from a yield to an added lane (with that exact sign) for a heavily-used right turn. For months, people would stop and "yield" at the same place the old sign had been, because apparently nothing ever changes and there's no need to pay attention to anything. Eventually, it got so bad I'd just preemptively cover my horn and get ready to lay on it when some dipshit came to a stop (often, when they wouldn't have had to yield to traffic anyway!).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hate driving a bmw.

I was driving in the left lane (UK, so slower of the two lanes, 70mph limit) at 68 and come up to an audi doing 65 so I pull over and pass at the same speed (I know, I'm a monster). As I draw past he speeds up to match. Someone comes up behind me so I accelerate a little, he matches it. We get up to nearly 80 and he has to yield to a truck which I slow down in front of. As he passes me both the driver and passenger are shouting and at gesturing at me.

Later I pass him again, still doing 68. This time when he tailgates and passes me his passenger holds up a pad to the window, stating "gently caress bMW drivers"

I miss my Volvo. Or my Citroens.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Solkanar512 posted:

Huh, I haven't seen that sign before, but it looks pretty close to the "right lane merges into your lane" sign. Maybe that's the problem? (yeah I release that assumes people actually look at the signs...)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Saw basically this happen on i95 a couple weeks ago.

I'm cruising in the left lane and I see a cop getting on the highway, so I move over to the middle lane and slow down a bit. Just as I expected he blasts past me in the left lane doing ~90 a few seconds later. I pop in behind him and ride along pretty good for a bit, until he comes up on one of those little Japanese box trucks doing about 70. The cop sits behind him for about 15 seconds, then hits the lights.

The truck, which clearly hadn't seen the cop until this point, brakes HARD and starts drifting into the left median, kicking up gravel all over the cop car. The cop car stabs his brakes to avoid hitting the van, pops on his siren and starts angrily waving the truck over to the right. The truck of course doesn't notice this, slows down so much the cop has no choice but to pass him on the right, who then paces him in front, still waving him back over to the right. I meanwhile moved back over to the middle lane to avoid this whole scene.

The funny part is, the cop was just moving a couple miles up the highway to do traffic duty at some construction. I'm sure he probably cited that truck driver for everything he could think of.

There was also an awesome shitshow on i95 north between 93 and the 128 split yesterday. Multiple accidents caused by some retard who couldn't be bothered to secure their load... a TON of poo poo blew out of a pickup, looked like plastic shelving units and stuff, the kind that explode like a grenade the second they hit the ground hard. Happened only minutes after I went that direction to drop a coworker off at the auto repair shop he uses, on the way home I looked across the divider and there were several very embarrassed people picking up debris across all 3 lanes and one car getting by about every 5 seconds.

This was an hour or two before rush hour and they already had about 2 miles of bumper to bumper parking lot traffic going with that little fuckup. I can only imagine how bad it was a few hours later.

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

Caught this on the way home from work today.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

kastein posted:

There was also an awesome shitshow on i95 north between 93 and the 128 split yesterday. Multiple accidents caused by some retard who couldn't be bothered to secure their load... a TON of poo poo blew out of a pickup, looked like plastic shelving units and stuff, the kind that explode like a grenade the second they hit the ground hard. Happened only minutes after I went that direction to drop a coworker off at the auto repair shop he uses, on the way home I looked across the divider and there were several very embarrassed people picking up debris across all 3 lanes and one car getting by about every 5 seconds.

This was an hour or two before rush hour and they already had about 2 miles of bumper to bumper parking lot traffic going with that little fuckup. I can only imagine how bad it was a few hours later.

Here's some karma for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nvDPth5kEE

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
It must be "stop in the middle of the road" season.

I saw some woman today stopped in the middle of the road with her hazards on. Hadn't made the slightest attempt to get the vehicle to the side of the road or anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was on my way to Burger King a couple hours ago and got to witness an 18-wheeler try to do a u-turn on a 6-lane city road with a median. The trailer blocked all 3 lanes in one direction while the cab was jackknifed in a residential cross street. It was amazing.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

This one made me happy. I wouldn't mind seeing a crack down on it in my state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlfAhk6JXgQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Murphys Law posted:

This one made me happy. I wouldn't mind seeing a crack down on it in my state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlfAhk6JXgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIA2pueFMh4