Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Fate/Zero, Hyouka, and Humanity Has Declined. There's three more LN adaptions with good pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Wasn't Hyouka just a regular run-of-the-mill novel?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

unpronounceable posted:

One of my favourite shows was a LN adaptation, Kino's Journey.

Pacing wasn't really an issue there since it was all episodic and out of order anyway. By the way, the most recent issue [volume 17] just came out October of last year, too bad Tokyopop decided to drop the series after releasing just one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baccano and Durarara also had decent pacing I think? Although Baccano was helped immensely by the fact that it told 3 vaguely connected stories simultaneously, rather than one after another.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Baccano and Durarara also had decent pacing I think? Although Baccano was helped immensely by the fact that it told 3 vaguely connected stories simultaneously, rather than one after another.

I felt Durarara had a bit of a problem with an overabundance of buildup and a lack of bang at the end, though I'm not completely sure whether or not that's a pacing problem.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Redcrimson posted:

Wasn't Hyouka just a regular run-of-the-mill novel?

AFAIK, the first volume was on a light novel label and subsequent volumes were promoted to a regular novel publisher.

Plus it was KyoAni, they are the kings of disregarding large quantities of the story and doing their own thing instead.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Delusibeta posted:

Plus it was KyoAni, they are the kings of disregarding large quantities of the story and doing their own thing instead.

Yeah, they really cut a lot out from the endless-8 arc.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

unpronounceable posted:

Yeah, they really cut a lot out from the endless-8 arc.

I still think that was fantastic and some of the best, most visceral immersion I ever had with an anime, totally unironically.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I freely admit that my love of modern art is totally pretentious and up my own rear end, but I loving loved Endless 8 as a concept. Just the fact that a studio would air that on TV. You'd think there'd be riots.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

XboxPants posted:

I still think that was fantastic and some of the best, most visceral immersion I ever had with an anime, totally unironically.

I do agree that the way they did the endless 8 arc was probably the best representation possible. Especially when it came to getting the audience immersed in the hosed up scenario that it was. The subsequent fan riots were even better.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think that the biggest factor for someone ending up loving or hating Endless 8 was whether he watched all of it in one go long after it had aired, or had to wait for two entire months for anything to happen.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rexides posted:

I think that the biggest factor for someone ending up loving or hating Endless 8 was whether he watched all of it in one go long after it had aired, or had to wait for two entire months for anything to happen.

Nah, it'd suck watching it all in one go. I'm sure people who watch it all at once feel like they're glad they didn't have to watch it stretched out (and for a lot of 'em they're probably right) but watching it stretched out into two months of raw tension and hope is what made it magical. For some people.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rexides posted:

I first watched it long after it aired and I think that did have an effect in making me appreciate it more, but on the other hand between Endless Eight and the rest of the season mostly being some added bullshit about the video from the first season I came away feeling like Season 2 was just a complete waste of time. I haven't touched anything Haruhi related since.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

madmac posted:

I first watched it long after it aired and I think that did have an effect in making me appreciate it more, but on the other hand between Endless Eight and the rest of the season mostly being some added bullshit about the video from the first season I came away feeling like Season 2 was just a complete waste of time. I haven't touched anything Haruhi related since.

That's a shame, Disappearance was a great movie. It's what people were expecting Season 2 to be about.

I watched all of Endless 8 in one sitting while suffering from a terrible fever, so I didn't mind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Disappearance was pretty much the best Haruhi ever got. I've read every book that came after it and the story perpetually feels like it's treading water. I honestly can't even bring myself to care whether the rest of it gets animated because it's just not all that interesting.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pretty much everything after disappearance has, iirc, been filler poo poo (I haven't read the latest one that got released after a 4 year gap or w/e), except for the three paragraphs they took to resolve the last of the timetravel stuff in Disappearance.

Haruhi season 2 should really just be treated as season 1.5 cause it's literally all filler material, except for the fact that endless eight is kinda the precursor to the disappearance movie.

I don't think the author actually knows where he wants the series to go or how he wants it to end.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Namtab posted:

Pretty much everything after disappearance has, iirc, been filler poo poo (I haven't read the latest one that got released after a 4 year gap or w/e), except for the three paragraphs they took to resolve the last of the timetravel stuff in Disappearance.

Haruhi season 2 should really just be treated as season 1.5 cause it's literally all filler material, except for the fact that endless eight is kinda the precursor to the disappearance movie.

I don't think the author actually knows where he wants the series to go or how he wants it to end.
Basically everything prior to Disappearance is building up the characters and how they find ways to keep Haruhi out of what she'll do. It's all internal issues within the Brigade. Everything afterwards becomes outside-related. It feels different because it is. I personally like Intrigues and loved the second Surprise novel (unrelated to actually working on the thing), but peoples' tastes vary.

What everyone (including licensors) want to call "season 2" is honestly adding episodes to what aired in 2006 and was addressed as such. It's officially called a "new animation" and was sold in a way to fit with the previous volumes. Western fans want to ignore that those 14 episodes have never been aired by themselves instead of thinking of the series as now a 28 episode set, as it's aired since 2009 on multiple occasions and was sold as such in the BD-box. It's not a "marketing event" or meant to fool people into thinking a second season wasn't coming; it made the drat thing into one season.

Tanigawa said in a discussion with Ito and two Sneaker editors that he already had the plot of the next novel figured out back in April 2011, but evidently he's had a huge case of writers' cramp regarding it. He's wrote one short that was Haruhi-related ("Random Numbers", something you're not missing out on) and one short that wasn't ("Round-Trip", a love story published in a Sneaker anthology) since 2011. Who knows what's happening with him, but it's easily cramping any anime continuation of the main series (Yuki-chan is promoting that manga).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I unironically enjoy the yuki-chan manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ultimatemegax posted:

Basically everything prior to Disappearance is building up the characters and how they find ways to keep Haruhi out of what she'll do. It's all internal issues within the Brigade. Everything afterwards becomes outside-related. It feels different because it is. I personally like Intrigues and loved the second Surprise novel (unrelated to actually working on the thing), but peoples' tastes vary.
In my opinion I don't think there's that much of a distinction pre- and post-Disappearance. The books after it still use the exact sort of formulas as the ones before, where something weird happens, Kyon investigates with some help, Haruhi is kept in the dark, and everything is resolved at the end with usually some light Lost-style "twists" that don't actually resolve anything or move the plot forward. This would have been fine for the beginning but it has become tiresome as more books come out (or not as it would seem from the author's output) and nothing ever really changes.

I didn't care for Intrigues mostly because I can't stand Mikuru. The ending of Surprise isn't bad I guess but it didn't need to be dragged out across two novels.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I didn't care for Intrigues mostly because I can't stand Mikuru.

Rant incoming.

After rewatching the series I get the impression that Mikuru only existed to be assaulted by Haruhi. She gets groped and stripped so the audience can enjoy the fanservice but still enjoy her as a sexually 'pure' character. It pisses me off. Her character is annoying but I was more annoyed by how she was treated. Am I overreacting?

Rant over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No I think it's a legitimate gripe. The character is essentially without merit, whether it's her own characterization or how she is treated by others. Even Kyon is kind of creepy about it with the way he seems to put her up on a pedestal. I also can't stand the adult version, albeit mostly just because her only purpose seems to be to deliver cryptic non-answers every single god drat book.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

uuuummm posted:

Rant incoming.

After rewatching the series I get the impression that Mikuru only existed to be assaulted by Haruhi. She gets groped and stripped so the audience can enjoy the fanservice but still enjoy her as a sexually 'pure' character. It pisses me off. Her character is annoying but I was more annoyed by how she was treated. Am I overreacting?

Rant over.

Nope. She barely has any characterization beyond that, and mechanically she serves no other purpose except to bring Kyon back in to to meet future Asahina. The other two are much better characters.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

I unironically enjoy the yuki-chan manga.

I'm enjoying it too. The Disappearance universe was always intriguing and it's interesting to see that part explored. I got into Haruhi just this year and to find out it pretty much died as a series in 2011(last light novel, American anime rights holders shut down) kinda sucks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ultimatemegax posted:

What everyone (including licensors) want to call "season 2" is honestly adding episodes to what aired in 2006 and was addressed as such. It's officially called a "new animation" and was sold in a way to fit with the previous volumes. Western fans want to ignore that those 14 episodes have never been aired by themselves instead of thinking of the series as now a 28 episode set, as it's aired since 2009 on multiple occasions and was sold as such in the BD-box. It's not a "marketing event" or meant to fool people into thinking a second season wasn't coming; it made the drat thing into one season.
I forgot to comment on this, but the reason (at least for me) is that the original presentation of the "first season" was a major reason anyone got interested in the franchise to begin with. The out-of-order approach was bold for its time and I daresay elevated the material beyond what it could have gotten across had it just aired them in order. This therefore becomes a problem if you attempt to make it congruous with the 14 new episodes in 2009. The only way to reconcile it is to treat those 14 episodes a separate season. You can of course ignore this, as KyoAni themselves seem to want, but that is the reasoning some (myself included) use.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I forgot to comment on this, but the reason (at least for me) is that the original presentation of the "first season" was a major reason anyone got interested in the franchise to begin with. The out-of-order approach was bold for its time and I daresay elevated the material beyond what it could have gotten across had it just aired them in order. This therefore becomes a problem if you attempt to make it congruous with the 14 new episodes in 2009. The only way to reconcile it is to treat those 14 episodes a separate season. You can of course ignore this, as KyoAni themselves seem to want, but that is the reasoning some (myself included) use.

Yeah, the story was told non-linearly not as some kind of joke against the viewers, but to tell a certain story. You can watch them in chronological order if you want and it's kinda neat, but it doesn't improve the story any more than making a chronological cut of Lost or Memento or Twelve Monkeys would. Flashbacks and flashforwards are perfectly legitimate narrative tools. It doesn't "fix" a story to just watch them in real-time order.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ultimatemegax posted:

They can call it whatever they want, it still came out three years later and basically added nothing of substance to the series. In addition, fleshing out events that were only hinted at earlier only served to make them seem less interesting, IMO. The relatively sparse (and out of order) presentation worked to the first seasons benefit in a way that the follow-up did nothing to improve on.

Also yeah, Mikuru is awful.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made a thread for Kan Colle. Hopefully it doesn't go to poo poo.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640433 Summer thread is up. Season looks bad, disregard.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
An anime version of a manga about an office lady married to an otaku got greenlit:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-05/4-panel-manga-i-cant-understand-what-my-husband-is-saying-gets-anime/.75236

It's an anime about married people. And it's called "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying." So, yeah, I think I can get on board with that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

An anime version of a manga about an office lady married to an otaku got greenlit:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-05/4-panel-manga-i-cant-understand-what-my-husband-is-saying-gets-anime/.75236

It's an anime about married people. And it's called "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying." So, yeah, I think I can get on board with that.

There's already one like that airing this season for what its worth and it's also loaded with super obscure otaku references and is from the POV of Hideaki Anno's wife. The references are so obscure that the episodes have their own TL notes. It is kinda sweet and interesting to see the life of one of the most famous otaku in the world.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

There's already one like that airing this season for what its worth and it's also loaded with super obscure otaku references and is from the POV of Hideaki Anno's wife. The references are so obscure that the episodes have their own TL notes. It is kinda sweet and interesting to see the life of one of the most famous otaku in the world.

Wait, is that already airing? Is it any good?

coathat
May 21, 2007

You can also get them manga in stores or read it on crunchyroll. It's pretty funny.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Wait, is that already airing? Is it any good?

They're 5 minute episodes and the only person subbing it is 2 episodes behind. It's decent enough.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The wife also draws herself as a baby. Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neeksy posted:

The wife also draws herself as a baby. Yes.

The way some manga artists and writers draw themselves is weird. Episode 6 was subbed though and was clearly written around the time of Hurricanger as it concerns Anno's inexplicable ability to wake up at 7:30 to watch Sentai regardless of how late he sleeps.

• Locked thread