Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Let's count the number of things wrong with this 968: http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4480725852.html

I love the snobbiness about test drives from people who have poo poo cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Why do I get the feeling the airbag went off at one point?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Brigdh posted:

Why do I get the feeling the airbag went off at one point?

The hood, steering wheel and upper dash panel all look like they came from a different car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That thing is a typical unmaintained pile of poo poo that been hosed up by children "working on it", just like 99% of all 944s left on the road/up on blocks in their parent's driveway.

It's hardly worth $5k if it doesn't have any other problems that weren't disclosed (it does). $7k is a joke.

It's a shame what's happened to these cars as the value dropped, but really what can you ask for these things when you can get a decade newer Boxster for $12k.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
"This thing has more electrical bugs than Windows XP security holes but this car is still worth 7k"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Motronic posted:

It's a shame what's happened to these cars as the value dropped, but really what can you ask for these things when you can get a decade newer Boxster for $12k.

I had to look it up and woah, boxsters are cheap as gently caress. Is there something wrong with them?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Image problems plus that drat IMS bearing. 996s are almost as cheap due to that latter issue.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Image problems plus that drat IMS bearing. 996s are almost as cheap due to that latter issue.

I'm not even sure what an IMS bearing is, but I'm guessing it's a bitch-and-a-half to fix if it's caused the value to plummet so much?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
intermediate shaft and if the bearing goes you need a new engine more or less

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can't you preemptively replace the bearing? How much does it cost to do that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can, and it's cheaper than an engine rebuild to be sure, but it's still a very major service to do so.

The problem is that the bearing is set up as a sealed bearing that doesn't get any engine oil to lubricate it, but those seals eventually fail and the bearing runs dry. Even though it's not directly lubricated, when it does poo poo itself, it can (and will) send shards of metal into the engine oil.

I kid you not, one of the available 'fixes' for it is a sensor you can put in the engine to detect when it starts making GBS threads metal and shut it off before it does too much damage. The proper fix is to modify the engine and replace the bearing with one that is lubricated by engine oil.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can, and it's cheaper than an engine rebuild to be sure, but it's still a very major service to do so.

The problem is that the bearing is set up as a sealed bearing that doesn't get any engine oil to lubricate it, but those seals eventually fail and the bearing runs dry. Even though it's not directly lubricated, when it does poo poo itself, it can (and will) send shards of metal into the engine oil.

I kid you not, one of the available 'fixes' for it is a sensor you can put in the engine to detect when it starts making GBS threads metal and shut it off before it does too much damage. The proper fix is to modify the engine and replace the bearing with one that is lubricated by engine oil.

Interestingly, 1999 996s were not affected by this issue from what I understand (although, they had their own problems being the first year) but you can get them for sub $20k these days.

Leperflesh posted:

Can't you preemptively replace the bearing? How much does it cost to do that?

I've looked into it, and a reputable show will do a clutch/water/IMS combo for about ~$3k.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What the gently caress were they thinking? That's just asinine.

e: apparently the LN Engineering kit can be installed without dropping the engine, at least. Trans? Yup, still gotta come out I think :v:

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 3, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

kastein posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking? That's just asinine.

They were thinking it only has to last out the warranty and didn't want cheap used porches diluting their brand name 15 years down the line.

The only ones that will survive will be the ones modded by enthusiasts, keeping their value high and out of the hands of the everyday driver.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it's also driven the 996 to be the cheapest 911 on the market. Used to be that nobody really cared about the '78-'89 cars or the earlier '70s cars, but now even a rough example will be priced higher than a decent 996.

I've been emailing this guy a bit. I wish the photos weren't so poo poo but it looks like it could be in quite solid shape.

Anyone near Kingman / Vegas want to check out an Ameri-Germa-French car? :haw: I don't want to do what would likely be a 12 hour round trip with a trailer to find out it's shiny paint on lovely metal, and I don't feel like risking a fly-and-drive like I so foolishly did a decade ago for a worse GT.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dr. Pain is there, I'd have him and his shop look it over. Then we can see it in that thread, too. :allears:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Great Beer posted:

They were thinking it only has to last out the warranty and didn't want cheap used porches diluting their brand name 15 years down the line.

The only ones that will survive will be the ones modded by enthusiasts, keeping their value high and out of the hands of the everyday driver.

Apparently they are known to fail with like 30k miles on them, so they kinda hosed that one up. Unless the warranty is pretty short.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

e: apparently the LN Engineering kit can be installed without dropping the engine, at least. Trans? Yup, still gotta come out I think :v:

At least on the older 911s (my dad had a '74) it was easier to drop the engine than the transmission. You just needed to get the rear end-end of the car nice and high first.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Unless the warranty is pretty short.

Surprisingly short considering the cost. 4 year/50k.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So if you find a 996 that's had the LN kit installed, $18.5k with 80k miles in it is pretty good?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4493229101.html

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

So if you find a 996 that's had the LN kit installed, $18.5k with 80k miles in it is pretty good?

I can't tell if the mismatched steering wheel is a sign of airbag replacement or just one of the many goofy options that porsche offered.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoopeach posted:

I can't tell if the mismatched steering wheel is a sign of airbag replacement or just one of the many goofy options that porsche offered.

That's a relatively standard interior "feature" on those.

Also, it's really unlikely that someone trying to cover something like that up isn't going to spend an extra $50 to make it right.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Ya, that looks like a pretty good bargain. Don't forget that $180 oil changes et. al are a reality with something like this, but its a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4502003208.html

Bad idea or best idea?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Not GLH = not worth it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Not GLH = not worth it.

Not GLH = more money left over for the small block.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tai-Pan posted:

Ya, that looks like a pretty good bargain. Don't forget that $180 oil changes et. al are a reality with something like this, but its a hell of a lot of car for the money.

The dry sump needs a lot of oil, so changes are expensive but the interval is longer. There are other reasons not to buy one (e.g. a 2012 V6 Mustang has about the same power for the same price) but oil changes really aren't a big deal.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

True but I'm sure it doesn't feel quite the same.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

True but I'm sure it doesn't feel quite the same.

Yeah, I don't think anyone ever cross-shopped V6 Mustangs and any generation of 911

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
For blk:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4469145622.html

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Rhyno posted:

Not GLH = not worth it.

Except that is a glh.

Its not a glhs which had a few improvements. But that's really easy to remedy.

Or just srt4 swap.

phade
Oct 8, 2006
The last line in this ad made me laugh:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it's also driven the 996 to be the cheapest 911 on the market. Used to be that nobody really cared about the '78-'89 cars or the earlier '70s cars, but now even a rough example will be priced higher than a decent 996.

I've been emailing this guy a bit. I wish the photos weren't so poo poo but it looks like it could be in quite solid shape.

Anyone near Kingman / Vegas want to check out an Ameri-Germa-French car? :haw: I don't want to do what would likely be a 12 hour round trip with a trailer to find out it's shiny paint on lovely metal, and I don't feel like risking a fly-and-drive like I so foolishly did a decade ago for a worse GT.

If it's still there in 2 months I may be able to do that.

See if you can get the guy to talk about himself. Not about the car, about himself. Specifically how long he's been in Arizona. Then find out how long he's had the car. So long as he doesn't know you're doing it to find out how long the car has been there, you could get good info that way.

Or, y'know, ask for better pics.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

That's actually a really good price. I'm not so sure about the leather color, though...

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Kenshin posted:

That's actually a really good price. I'm not so sure about the leather color, though...

What does being objectively wrong feel like? LS blue is the best interior color invented by man.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sinestro posted:

What does being objectively wrong feel like? LS blue is the best interior color invented by man.

It's more that it feels like too much. I'd like the blue interior with a black or silver paint. With Laguna Seca Blue I feel like the interior should be a different color.

On the other hand it is a supercharged E46 M3, so maybe there isn't such a thing as "too much"

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 4, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
SMURFSKIN leather, yeah baby

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Craigslist aficionados: can I get some feedback on my ad and pricing?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4502625303.html

At $500 in losing a little cash between what I paid for it and what I put in after. I can't find another one for sale to compare to. At this point I'm more concerned about getting it out of the garage, but money is nice too.

How do I weed out the hipsters and literal hairdressers asking if a 45 year old tiddler is safe or reliable enough to ride to work every day? I don't want to make it sound too awful and scare away legitimate buyers. It's an interesting bike but I don't want to unload it on someone with no mechanical aptitude.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 4, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This is kind of a neat thing

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4443898856.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2019