Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Derek Dominoe posted:

There's still a common element. :ssh:

But what if they're a secret muslim like a certain world leader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i think its weird and hosed up that the us census classifies arabs and other swarthy persons as white

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i think its weird and hosed up that the us census classifies arabs and other swarthy persons as white

I've had a good chuckle at the 'Google is too white' stories because they employ a bazillion Asians, and apparently Indians and Chinamen aren't dark enough to be diverse.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Can I post my fantasy here?

K.

Bergdahl comes back, convicted of desertion and whatever else (assuming the stories are true, which it seems to be), gets a nice trip to Leavenworth.

A few months later the five dudes released from GitMo each get a Hellfire sandwich.

Obama walks up on stage, "Owned." *mic drop*

Please let this happen. Inshallah!

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

JSARSOM posted:

Looks like he's a Muslim or some kind of sympathizer. Said some Muslim prayer at the White House, and this:

:vince: Welp.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

psydude posted:

With the Boston Marathon bombers and the Florida suicide bomber being white, I'm not sure I know who to profile anymore. I guess we'll have to stick to people with un-American names.

Only half of those were white

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BigDave posted:

Really? drat. Now I feel bad for buying his book at my school's Scholastic Book Fair.

Any source on this?

I know he's a douche because I've talked to him, and the rest came up in professional situations...like the SERE instructor telling the entire class what a fuckup he was. Also Viper pilots talking poo poo about him basically getting himself shot down. Nothing I can link to, though. The specifics of how he hosed up in the air and on the ground would be classified anyway. But after he got back, he thought he was hot poo poo and made sure you knew it.

Edit: V gently caress YES

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 3, 2014

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
lol @ the berghdahls

they named their kid bowe, then dad learns pashtoo when bowe gets raped in afghanistan by some talibs making him their dancing boy / convert, and now he's the 21st century manchurian candidate- but instead he's going to come home and the first time he finds out he can make poppy tea at home he's gonna go all Rambo First Blood on some small kentucky town.. there will be noone else around to help stop the blood shed as the suddenly tier one talib bow berghdahl rampages through the kentucky countryside, but one man stands between him and his 27 virgins.

that man is medal of honor awardee and xboxlive gamertag dakdakadokata Dokata Meyers, the shiningest example of what the marines corpse gives us in terms of raw warrior strength and talent

and before you can convert your prius to a flying magic hybrid carpet in the new United Islamic Caliphate of Obama's America you find yourself stoning your own grandmother to death in the town square for showing her turkey neck lunch lady arms bare to all those young boys and girls who were... I poo poo you not, there were girls being taught to loving read, with colored kids there too. So yeah, granny's getting stoned and we're not talking about the blackberry wine and qualudes that brought pops into this world.. and what's left?

What's loving left?

A bunch of gay interacial half breeds looking to get college degrees and hermaphodites who managed to get through into combat arms for the USMC all having sex with eachother at FOB Barack in downtown Maddison, before doing presence patrols and being strung up like this was Mississippi and Rek was found not wearing his uniform and whistling at a white woman

what im saying is

the most inconvenient truth of all is that islam is submission and the path to terrorism and Mandy Patinkin getting another loving emmy

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 3, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

shut this bitch down, we can't get better than this, shows over.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Obama Africanus posted:

Mandy Patinkin getting another loving emmy

While not ideal. I was cool up to this point. Death to humans.

Death to the earth

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Ps of course it was someone with berg in their name that caused this whole god drat mess.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

I think it's weird and hosed up that in this day and age the government keeps lists of peoples race. Especially since pretty much everyone in the US is mixed to some degree or another.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsVKbTpA4W0

If even that dweeb Toobin thinks this was illegal, I imagine it's gonna reverberate in the news cycle for a bit

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsVKbTpA4W0

If even that dweeb Toobin thinks this was illegal, I imagine it's gonna reverberate in the news cycle for a bit

I'm sure they can just roll it into the Benghazi narrative and call it a day

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Courthouse posted:

I think it's weird and hosed up that in this day and age the government keeps lists of peoples race. Especially since pretty much everyone in the US is mixed to some degree or another.

shut up you filthy pinko gently caress

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I AM HOO-MAN RACE :saddowns:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

shut up you filthy pinko gently caress

Exactly, if it weren't for the census, how else would you know what cities to avoid when moving somewhere new???

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Exactly, if it weren't for the census, how else would you know what cities to avoid when moving somewhere new???

You can still have non-personal statistics on race. It's the part where it's tied to persons on a government census that has previously not turned out too terribly well for some of us.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Courthouse posted:

You can still have non-personal statistics on race. It's the part where it's tied to persons on a government census that has previously not turned out too terribly well for some of us.

Sucks to be you, try being born right (white) next time, idiot bitch.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Question for GiP dudes but if a guy writes a note and renounces his citizenship and bails then why bother chasing after him. It wasn't like he was some General that has a bunch of secrets. gently caress him let him go? Or is there a real reason about getting him just for justice purposes?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Question for GiP dudes but if a guy writes a note and renounces his citizenship and bails then why bother chasing after him. It wasn't like he was some General that has a bunch of secrets. gently caress him let him go? Or is there a real reason about getting him just for justice purposes?

bergdahl was actually a delta force commander with knowledge of sensitive state secrets

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Enigma89 posted:

Because letting one of our own get slaughtered by the Taliban is bad politics, even if he is a loving idiot.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's a big deal that everybody gets home, even if you're dead.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Courthouse posted:

Ya but I want my neighbours to be white, not criminals, white, if race isn't on there, how will I know???

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
The chair of the JCS told AP that Berghdals promotion just got a wee bit less automatic on account of him no longer being MIA and that the investigation on desertion charges is on but he doesn't want to prejudge it by making a statement.

Looks like the republicans are going for a campaign against him, angling for it as a jump off for attacking Obama. So he's not going to have the usual pro-military crowd defending him.

krispykremessuck posted:

According to the US census standard definition I'm white as bread. :sun:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Courthouse posted:

According to the US census standard definition I'm white as bread. :sun:

Terrorist spotted.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I always have a hard time telling whether what I'm reading is biased to one side or the other, but from what I've read about this...I get the fact that we want this guy back, but the bios of the five detainees we sent back seems pretty lopsided. The news is reporting that they are high level intel commanders, etc., and this guy was an e-5 who I don't believe necessarily had top secret info, etc.

Are there many more POW's that they could do this with?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
You bring everyone home, including low rent Muslim Dick Winters there.

It isn't a calculation, and we've not lost 50k men in a dense jungle we tried to deforest. It's one kid, one PFC. We stop believing and acting like his life isn't worth playing whack a mole with a bunch of old talibs and we start to realize our entire civilization and way of life is turtles all the way down. So you bring that dipshit home, no matter what. Because nobody wants to know how far down the turtles go, ya know?

And no, there aren't any other known POW's that we know to be alive, that has been publicly acknowledged. There's one guy that walked off into the mist in Iraq but he wasn't born right. He was born Iraqi so.. But I think we declared inshallah on his stupid rear end a long time ago, because like blacks, muslims don't count toward our overall K/D ratio when on the left side of the ratio.

I kind of want to know who was pushing to bring his rear end home though, politically. Was it coming from within the DoD? That would.. surprise me.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 3, 2014

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

nwin posted:

I always have a hard time telling whether what I'm reading is biased to one side or the other, but from what I've read about this...I get the fact that we want this guy back, but the bios of the five detainees we sent back seems pretty lopsided. The news is reporting that they are high level intel commanders, etc., and this guy was an e-5 who I don't believe necessarily had top secret info, etc.

Are there many more POW's that they could do this with?

Afghanistan is being abandoned, time to get everyone out and tie up the loose ends so we don't have to back in again.

Obama wants to close guantanamo, and needs to empty it somehow. We can drone them later if need be.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That makes sense. I think I'm more wondering if he's going to be held accountable for his actions or if the thought process will be that he suffered enough being a POW.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

nwin posted:

That makes sense. I think I'm more wondering if he's going to be held accountable for his actions or if the thought process will be that he suffered enough being a POW.

The law gives zero shits about him having a bad time as a result of his own goddamn desertion. And I don't see anyone with strings to pull standing up to defend him.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Obama wants to close guantanamo, and needs to empty it somehow.

I don't think this is accurate. He's actively resisted efforts to shut it down ever since being elected in '08. Five dudes is hardly winding it down.

nwin posted:

I get the fact that we want this guy back, but the bios of the five detainees we sent back seems pretty lopsided. The news is reporting that they are high level intel commanders, etc., and this guy was an e-5 who I don't believe necessarily had top secret info, etc.

Now you know how the Israelis feel.

Shim is right with the 'leave no man behind' rule but in this case (depending on how you classify the Taliban) the methods mix murky with "never negotiate with terrorists"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basically it is "Well we were gonna promote you before we knew you were alive and we had a shot at getting you back so we could boot you out for desertion :newlol:"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Shim is right with the 'leave no man behind' rule but in this case (depending on how you classify the Taliban) the methods mix murky with "never negotiate with terrorists"

Part of my units job during the glorious and heroic Surge led by our lord and savior GWB was driving around actual lumps of cash to hand to the supposedly reformed terrorists, with whom we had negotiated payment and recruitment into the police in exchange for less of the whole killing us thing. And that's just last administration. For much of the cold war, we weren't just negotiating with terrorists, but actually supporting them 100%, whether of the Islamic radical variety or the more conventional brutal death squad sort. "Never negotiate with terrorists" has never been anything more than a catchy turn of phrase.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
When was the last time we executed someone for desertion?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

LongDarkNight posted:

When was the last time we executed someone for desertion?

Eddie Slovik, 1945

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Obama Africanus posted:

I kind of want to know who was pushing to bring his rear end home though, politically. Was it coming from within the DoD? That would.. surprise me.

All quotes are from before Obama made the trade.

Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-NH:

quote:

Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl: As part of ongoing efforts to urge the Department of Defense to do all it can to find Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl and bring him home safely, Senator Ayotte worked successfully to include a provision in the bill that presses Pakistan to fully cooperate in the search for SGT Bergdahl.

Sen. John McCain, R-AZ:

quote:

COOPER: Welcome back. We're looking at live pictures of the violence still raging in Kiev in Ukraine, where tensions have exploded. We're going to have much on that shortly.

First, though, new efforts being made tonight to bring home the only American soldier in captivity, Bowe Bergdahl, is his name. The army sergeant was seized in Afghanistan back in 2009. He's been held this long. He's believed to be held by the Taliban-aligned Haqqani Network inside Pakistan.

Over the years several proof of life videos of Bergdahl have been released. CNN is unable to independently confirm their authenticity. But just weeks ago the U.S. Military obtained a new video that's never been publicly released. It's raised concerns, though, about Bergdahl's health.

The Taliban has long demanded the release of five Taliban prisoners from Guantanamo in exchange for his release. Well, today a U.S. official confirmed that new discussions led by diplomats and the Pentagon are underway.

As you know the United States has long policy saying they don't negotiate with terrorists. That's the official policy. But time may be running out. With U.S. troops set to leave Afghanistan by the end of the year, there's the prospect of leaving a man behind.

Senator John McCain, a former Vietnam prisoner of war, of course, has been a vocal opponent of negotiating with the Taliban in years past.

Tonight only on 360 he has a new position. I spoke to him earlier.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

COOPER: Would you oppose the idea of some form of negotiations or prisoner exchange? I know back in 2012 you called the idea of even negotiating with the Taliban bizarre, highly questionable.

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN (R), ARIZONA: Well, at that time the proposal was that they would release -- Taliban, some of them really hard-core, particularly five really hard-core Taliban leaders, as a confidence- building measure. Now this idea is for an exchange of prisoners for our American fighting man.

I would be inclined to support such a thing depending on a lot of the details.

COOPER: Of anybody on Capitol Hill, you know better than anybody what this young man must be going through. Obviously it's a very different time. How do you get through something like this? I mean, for somebody in this situation?

MCCAIN: Well, I was fortunate in where he is not that I had fellow POWs that even though I was a long time in solitary confinement we would tap on the wall to each other and stay in communication. If it wasn't for that, it would have been a very different story for most of us. And this is why I feel especially sympathetic for Mr. Bergdahl because he is all there by himself.

COOPER: So if there was some -- the possibility of some sort of exchange, that's something you would support?

MCCAIN: I would support. Obviously I'd have to know the details, but I would support ways of bringing him home and if exchange was one of them I think that would be something I think we should seriously consider.

Rep. Richard Nugent, R-FL:

quote:

“Last year, on the fourth anniversary of Sgt. Bergdahl’s capture, on the floor of the House of Representatives, I introduced a resolution in the House calling on the United States to do everything possible not to leave any members of the armed forces behind during the drawdown of Iraq and Afghanistan. Believe it or not, I had members of Congress come up to me and say, ‘I didn’t know we had a living POW in Afghanistan.’ That was shocking to me,” he said.

Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-KY, Sen. Bob Casey, D-PA, Sen. Pat Toomey, R-PA:

quote:

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-K.Y.) and U.S. Senator Bob Casey (D-Pa.) today joined U.S. Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) in introducing a resolution to express the sense of the Senate that no member of the armed forces who is missing in action or captured should be left behind.

The senators' resolution would send a message that "abandoning the search efforts for members of the armed forces who are missing or captured in the line of duty now or in the future is unacceptable."

It also states that "while the United States continues to transition leadership roles in combat operations in Afghanistan to the people of Afghanistan, the United States must continue to fulfill these important promises to any member of the armed forces who is in a missing status or captured as a result of service in Afghanistan now or in the future."

"Over the years, I have heard from many Kentucky veterans asking that the United States government do all it can to ensure the safe return of any service members captured in the line of duty as they protect and defend our nation. I am honored to support my colleagues in this important commitment," said Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell.

"As we honor our armed servicemen and women, we must never forget those who are unaccounted for or missing in action," said Sen. Casey. "I am proud to support this legislation to strengthen our commitment to those who risk their lives defending our freedom. I call on the Senate to pass this resolution quickly."

"The members of the armed forces are willing to give their all to defend our country, ensure our safety, and protect the principles of this great nation. We owe it to them to commit ourselves as a nation to the promise that we will leave no man or woman behind. I urge my fellow members of Congress to join me in supporting this resolution and reaffirming our commitment to leave no soldier, sailor, airman, Marine or Coast Guard member behind," said Sen. Toomey.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Best Friends posted:

Part of my units job during the glorious and heroic Surge led by our lord and savior GWB was driving around actual lumps of cash to hand to the supposedly reformed terrorists, with whom we had negotiated payment and recruitment into the police in exchange for less of the whole killing us thing.

Well I can guess you can really consider Karma to be a total bitch cause those guys now get to livedie like this: :nws: https://ia801509.us.archive.org/18/items/al_saleel_4/SaleelSawarim.mp4 :nws:

Pretty sure that being sahwa right now is seriously lose/lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Eddie Slovik, 1945

That guy was grade-A retard.

• Locked thread