Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I don't see how to change to the dark appearance; perhaps this build doesn't have it. FYI just like iOS you can turn off the transparency stuff in the Accessibility settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Wow, performance is rough on my early 2013 15" rMBP. I expected some issues with it being the first beta, bu this is something else.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looks like the 10.10 developer preview is compatible with machines as old as the 2007 iMac and 2008 MBP. That's 6-7 year old hardware :)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

dialectics posted:

Has anyone who signed up for the beta even received a code? I'm not sure it's "ready" yet. The website says it will be available "soon"/"summer."

Pretty sure if you don't have a paid developer account you're not getting 10.10 from Apple anytime soon.

Does the new Xcode need 10.10, and can it run side by side with the old Xcode? Swift looks interesting and might convince me to buy a developer account but reading a book on it without a compiler to do code on doesn't seem like much fun.

Suppose I could always do a VM of Yosemite.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I'd be surprised if a lot of the iOS integration stuff wasn't compatible a few years back. I have a late 2011 iMac, with a 2nd gen i7 3.4 ghz and 12gb ram plus an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024mb. It can still play most new games at at least medium settings. Unless the new iOS compatibility needs some super specific bluetooth or some such, why wouldn't the computer support it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bad news: I think you're gonna need Bluetooth LE support for the Continuity stuff. I haven't seen an official confirmation yet, though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Bad news: I think you're gonna need Bluetooth LE support for the Continuity stuff. I haven't seen an official confirmation yet, though.
I kinda figured that with my earlier post, but was really holding out hope.

What does that mean on the hardware side? 2013 iMacs at the earliest? Only iPhone 5+?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Given that during the keynote it was said "It even works if your phone is at the other end of the house!" I'm thinking/hoping it uses wifi.

fordan posted:

Does the new Xcode need 10.10, and can it run side by side with the old Xcode?

Xcode 6 is compatible with 10.9.3, and multiple versions of Xcode can happily coexist nowadays.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Choadmaster posted:

Given that during the keynote it was said "It even works if your phone is at the other end of the house!" I'm thinking/hoping it uses wifi.

I'm pretty sure that was in reference to the auto-hotspot feature, which would only require being in wifi range of the phone. With Continuity he was specifically referencing that it would detect you walking up to the computer, which seems to imply something with a much smaller range.

Not to say it couldn't use wifi as the go-between, but Bluetooth makes more sense to me.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

Looks like the 10.10 developer preview is compatible with machines as old as the 2007 iMac and 2008 MBP. That's 6-7 year old hardware :)

It's not uncommon for Apple to support older hardware in the developer preview than what ultimately ends up being supported in the final release, so approach with caution.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It could also use BTLE to beacon that you're walking up to the computer for proximity detection but wifi for actual data transfer between the two.

I'm curious/hoping the continuity features will work iphone->ipad and not just to a Mac.

Edit: Awesome, the summary I read didn't mention that part. \/\/\/

Kalman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 3, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

I'm curious/hoping the continuity features will work iphone->ipad and not just to a Mac.

They do, it was shown during the iOS 8 part of the keynote.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

I think it uses wi-fi:
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/mac-and-ios/

Apple posted:

Now you can make and receive iPhone calls right on your Mac. When your iPhone rings, you’ll get a notification on your Mac showing you the caller’s name, number, and profile picture. Click the notification to answer, and your Mac becomes a speakerphone. You can also decline the call or respond with a quick iMessage. Making a phone call from Mac is just as easy. Just click a phone number you see in Contacts, Calendar, Messages, or Safari. Dial in to a conference call from a Calendar event, and your Mac automatically enters the passcode for you. And if your iPhone rings while it’s charging in the bedroom, you can answer the call on your Mac in the living room — they just have to be on the same Wi‑Fi network. Because it works with your existing iPhone number, there’s nothing to set up. Just point, click, and say hello.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Choadmaster posted:

The trick is that it's going to need to access the phone even when locked, and iOS turns off the wifi radio when locked except when plugged in. But then again, the example they use is charging on the other side if the house, so…

Still suspect Bluetooth though, especially for the hotspot stuff since you'd use that when you don't have a known Wifi network nearby.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I feel like an idiot, but for the life of me I can't where to sign the new iOS legal agreement in the Member Center. I know I had the same problem a year ago doing the same thing so I could provision my device. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

What a strange keynote. That was a lot more humor than I was expecting. It was a little bit strange coming from Apple, but as weird as that felt, I was laughing along with everyone else. That said, as a workplace that uses Apple laptops and is full of Apple fans (even if a lot of us switched to Android a year ago), the Swift demo left a lot of jaws on the floor.

I'm not a developer, just a mid-level IT guy, but do you guys think Swift would be a good introduction to programming? I've been wanting to learn to code for a while now.

Also, a few of us have been using the 10.10 dev preview for a few hours, so I can throw out some initial impressions if anyone's curious or has any questions. I haven't seen a whole lot posted here yet. Biggest first impression is the boot screen: Black with a loading bar, iOS style.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I'm somewhat confused about iOS 8's extensions and how they compare to Android's intents.

The Pinterest example from the demo is really slick if it works like a beefed up intent - but the pretty specific VSCO example that followed made me wonder if extensions might be more limited than intents on an app-to-app basis (eg: "can only call Pinterest from a WebView").

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
People complaining about the visual changes are really weird since it's incredibly subtle and well done (so far at least). Safari feels super slick.

The blue is a bit bright I suppose, and looks out of place in settings windows with a lot of drop downs and radial buttons I guess.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

oversteps posted:

I'm not a developer, just a mid-level IT guy, but do you guys think Swift would be a good introduction to programming? I've been wanting to learn to code for a while now.

If it gets you interested and motivated, yes. But there won't be a lot of resources to help you learn until it has been out in the wild for a while.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ninja Rope posted:

If it gets you interested and motivated, yes. But there won't be a lot of resources to help you learn until it has been out in the wild for a while.

He's probably better off starting with something like python like most people.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If that's the case I wonder if perhaps one of these will work http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE-Bluetoo...onymacx86com-20 for those of us rocking ancient C2D machines still.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Whirlwind Jones posted:

People complaining about the visual changes are really weird since it's incredibly subtle and well done (so far at least)

Interpretations of UI elements is always a subjective topic. Some people will like it and some won't. That's why it's always nice to have an option to be able to alter the look of the UI.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Subtle? If you're talking about OS X the change about as subtle as a slap to the face. Whether it's good or bad I won't judge until they're closer to finished, but at this point it definitely needs refining.

Nice new iOS 8 feature: when using the brightness control in the control center it removes the control center-related screen dimming so you can finally judge brightness accurately.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Shaocaholica posted:

He's probably better off starting with something like python like most people.

Agreedo, it's important to have resources and documentation available to you.

oversteps posted:

I've been wanting to learn to code for a while now.

This is more important than a language. Find something that you want to make, and just start working on it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Drastic Actions posted:

Already found a bug.

Man, how do they let this stuff out :(

Buuuhhh? I downloaded a beta designed for application developers to find bugs and there's bugs?????????

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Leathal posted:

I'm somewhat confused about iOS 8's extensions and how they compare to Android's intents.

The Pinterest example from the demo is really slick if it works like a beefed up intent - but the pretty specific VSCO example that followed made me wonder if extensions might be more limited than intents on an app-to-app basis (eg: "can only call Pinterest from a WebView").

It's a very specific list of extension types: Share, Action, Today, Photo Editing, Storage Provider, and Custom Keyboard.

Action is the most generic and is like "use some other app with this data." Today is the notification center widgets.

One interesting thing is that extensions are separate app binaries that are bundled/distributed with their parent app, and you can't have an app that is only extensions,

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

horse mans posted:

Buuuhhh? I downloaded a beta designed for application developers to find bugs and there's bugs?????????

Drastic Actions is a developer, so I'm pretty sure it was just a joke.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I imagine it does some of the same stuff as Notifyr, so see if your set-up supports Notifyr, and the same might apply for Continuity.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've found nearly everything to be fine in this release of 10.10, but it has broken my 3-finger swipe back and forth in Chrome to move between pages. It's enabled, but it isn't working.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Drastic Actions is a developer, so I'm pretty sure it was just a joke.

Yeah, I was kidding. I mean, it's a Japanese resource string for "Search" being misaligned. Figured it would be obvious I was being sarcastic :v:.

Right now I'm going through the Swift docs and running the sample code to get a feel for how iOS and Mac apps work with the new language. It'll be awhile before I actually write anything useful in it, but I'm picking it up pretty fast.

I love checking out these early builds. Most of the new stuff has not been translated yet (for good reason, it's not done), so you get these interesting clashes of language throughout the UI.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, they list a bunch of areas missing translations in the iOS 8 release notes: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/releasenotes/General/RN-iOSSDK-8.0/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014223

Also, they actually have the iOS 8 release notes on a public URL this year. Guess that a lot of that NDA really is gone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Is Spotlight (and I guess mainly Maps search) still useless if there's a typo?

smackfu posted:

It's a very specific list of extension types: Share, Action, Today, Photo Editing, Storage Provider, and Custom Keyboard.

Action is the most generic and is like "use some other app with this data." Today is the notification center widgets.

One interesting thing is that extensions are separate app binaries that are bundled/distributed with their parent app, and you can't have an app that is only extensions,
We can go back to Classic Mac OS days and have a folder full of extensions :v:. I'm still amazed they actually addressed file storage stuff and made it third party extensible :dance:

Someone asked about ad blocking before, doesn't seem like it'd be possible with this model, right? (Unless you load a page completely first then block ads but that'd defeat the purpose)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah it seems like extensions are specifically user-invoked, there's no method for safari to invoke an adblock extension on each page load automatically for example.

This does pave the way for 1password (and similar password managers) autofill extensions though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh, yeah, that's a fun little note... you can't use third-party keyboards on password fields.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Apple is reeling me in once again with iOS 8 and the third party keyboards thing .. that and a hopefully larger device. With that, I am back in the Apple camp for sure. My Nexus 5 has been nice with some quirks .. but with the 4.4.3 update it seems Google is falling into the "lego phone" camp with UI.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I totally forgot I was waiting for Apple to support raw image capture in camera.app and the camera API to follow suit on MS/Nokia and Google. Too bad its not in iOS 8.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That would be a good iPhone 6 feature.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Do the betas support SMS conversations from your Mac yet?
That's by far the most interesting feature for me and I'd be willing to suffer a bit to try it out.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Man, I was really hoping iCloud Drive would be priced closer to CrashPlan. Guess I'll stick with that for now.

Otherwise, happy with everything here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Has to be. Cook was all "Mac + iOS are gonna be more united than ever" in the beginning. I'm sure they'll include almost all the same stuff they're demoing in the UI here for iOS.

You know he says that. And then I have absolutely no way to view my iCloud textedit docs on iphone. Like, hah, what

~Coxy posted:

Do the betas support SMS conversations from your Mac yet?
That's by far the most interesting feature for me and I'd be willing to suffer a bit to try it out.

Wish you could just remote in to your iphone from Mac and do whatever from there. Why the hell not.

• Locked thread