Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wonder if Isayama is going to walk back his comments that he's gonna end the manga in 25 more chapters now that the series is super popular and has surpassed one piece in sales.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-25/attack-on-titan-creator-aims-to-end-manga-in-20-volumes

That and while a lot happens in 25 chapters in the manga, is that really enough to wrap up the story and characters? I'm guessing not everything is getting resolved and there is going to be some skipping around. These next 8 chapters are probably going to be answering the mysteries of the series, and the last 17 will be about wrapping up the story. The ending of the manga could even be Eren reaching the basement and the outcome of whatever happens down there.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Isn't it closer to 50 chapters?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

Isn't it closer to 50 chapters?

4 chapters a volume. Volume 14 finishes this week and volume 15 begins in July.

http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Chapters_and_Volumes

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
With the way this manga is going I'm thinking they could probably make a political board game out of it. Can't wait for the anime version of Crusader Kings 2 with the occasional titan rooting around your farm eating your livestock or loving your new titan-wife behind your back.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wonder if Isayama is going to walk back his comments that he's gonna end the manga in 25 more chapters now that the series is super popular and has surpassed one piece in sales.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-25/attack-on-titan-creator-aims-to-end-manga-in-20-volumes

That and while a lot happens in 25 chapters in the manga, is that really enough to wrap up the story and characters? I'm guessing not everything is getting resolved and there is going to be some skipping around. These next 8 chapters are probably going to be answering the mysteries of the series, and the last 17 will be about wrapping up the story. The ending of the manga could even be Eren reaching the basement and the outcome of whatever happens down there.

Eh, that's a lot of chapters, I think he could easily wrap everything up in that time. Especially given how long the average chapter of AoT is.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Oh, the "koshinda published the 11th volume last month" confused me. Never mind

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Given that would still be like 2 years away it's possible that they just go with finishing the story as it is. Unless it really does stay just as popular for that entire time too. I'd imagine with the story being so involved it would be easier to just do spinoffs / prequels etc instead of stretching the original story out further than planned.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Chapters_and_Volumes

That's like 80 Chapters then. We're not even at the halfway point.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Personally, I hope that Isayama sticks to whatever is best for telling the story. "Stretch it out longer because it's popular now" always, always ruins stories

Breaky posted:

Given that would still be like 2 years away it's possible that they just go with finishing the story as it is. Unless it really does stay just as popular for that entire time too. I'd imagine with the story being so involved it would be easier to just do spinoffs / prequels etc instead of stretching the original story out further than planned.

I know I'd pay more money than I'd like to admit for "Attack on Titan: The spinoff that shows characters interacting in between key events."

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Zogundar posted:

That's like 80 Chapters then. We're not even at the halfway point.

No that's incorrect. There are 5 volumes left until the story is over. Chapter 58 (this week) is the last chapter in volume 14. Chapter 62 will be the end of volume 15. So chapter 82 will be the final chapter.

And yeah that's completely right. Isayama needs to just tell the story the way he feels is completely appropriate. Hopefully the ending isn't rushed or arbitrary because he feels he needs to end exactly at volume 20, when the story could be expanded and properly wrapped up in 22 or 25 volumes. No doubt his publicists are putting intense pressure on him to keep it going as long as that sweet sweet merch cash is flowing in.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 3, 2014

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No that's incorrect. There are 5 volumes left until the story is over. Chapter 58 (this week) is the last chapter in volume 14. Chapter 62 will be the end of volume 15. So chapter 82 will be the final chapter.

Oh, I read that as "in 20 volumes -from now-." :downs:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zogundar posted:

Oh, I read that as "in 20 volumes -from now-." :downs:

"To the you, 2000 years in the future" was literal then...

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

If anything, you can already be disappointed with him dropping his intended Kill 'em All Tomino-style ending because of the success of the anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember any confirmation on how many volumes are left so I don't know where we're getting this from.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't remember any confirmation on how many volumes are left so I don't know where we're getting this from.
People are taking the "20 volumes" comment from Isayama and running wild with it in all directions without rest. That's where all of this is coming from.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sue posted:

If anything, you can already be disappointed with him dropping his intended Kill 'em All Tomino-style ending because of the success of the anime.

Except Kill 'em All endings aren't usually that good?

I'd be perfectly happy if they did figure out a way to take things back.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Reconsidering the direction of the story and making changes isn't always a bad thing.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

It's speculation. Isayama says he wants to end at 20 volumes. Until he says otherwise that's the assumption that the story will end around chapter 82.

quote:

How could a kill'em all ending work in a series with such incredibly positive and hopeful primary themes? When you have a film like the Departed, everyone in it is inherently a bad person on some level and engaged in criminality so a Kill'em All ending is completely appropriate. Attack on Titan is the complete opposite.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 3, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Having read everything so far I don't think Isayama knows where this is going at all and I can't see it ever ending satisfactorially

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Namtab posted:

Having read everything so far I don't think Isayama knows where this is going at all and I can't see it ever ending satisfactorially
I disagree! Looking back at the beginning of the manga, we see a lot of careful foreshadowing. Go back and read the early discussions with the Titanbros and Eren during the training arc. A lot of double-edged dialogue that only pays off much later. Look at how long - literally years - there was between Annie's introduction and the Female Titan. Eren's titan-command power is visually identical to when he command-worded Mikasa as a kid. Even the setting inconsistencies, like 'how the hell did they first build the walls' and 'why is their non-jetpack technology so primitive' have clear and reasoned answers.

This is a manga with a lot of planning - I don't think we have to worry too much about a :lost: scenario.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sue posted:

These stories usually end up sucking because there's no reason to ever care about characters that just exist to die. That's not to say AoT hasn't already had these characters, but there's a reason we're not exchanging our current cast for a new one every 20 chapters.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's speculation. Isayama says he wants to end at 20 volumes. Until he says otherwise that's the assumption that the story will end around chapter 82.

Ah okay, that makes more sense then. Though I do recall him saying the story just recently got past the halfway point a few months too.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This week, Spoof on Titan brings us some James and the Colossal Peach.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So, these Spoof on Titans are directly written by Isayama, or are otherwise officially endorsed?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Like it says in the first page the comic is by hounori. And of course it's endorsed by Isayama or else he'd be using the crap out of DeNA.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haha, Annie and her schnoz

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Squidster posted:

I think that's referring to the Japanese Momotarou fable.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Squidster posted:

The return of "Jean Boy"

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Squidster posted:

I have no idea what I just read.

By the way, is there any option to zoom in on the comics at mangabox? I'm having the epitome of a first world problem where I can't read them well on my 1440 x 900 monitor and control & + doesn't do a zoom in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a real shame that a lot of the spin-offs are just plain better drawn in every single way, but I guess it would be severely jarring to go from the original art to something coherent and not scratchy.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tae posted:

It's a real shame that a lot of the spin-offs are just plain better drawn in every single way, but I guess it would be severely jarring to go from the original art to something coherent and not scratchy.

I don't think anyone would complain if, say, Murata decided he wanted to give Titan the One-Punch Man treatment.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I don't think anyone would complain if, say, Murata decided he wanted to give Titan the One-Punch Man treatment.

I would, because he'd be wasting his time with SnK instead of doing stuff like One-Man Punch. :colbert:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I would, because he'd be wasting his time with SnK instead of doing stuff like One-Man Punch. :colbert:

In this dream world of mine, Murata is cloned and thus able to do both at once.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

Right click -> open image in new tab does the trick in chrome.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Squidster posted:

Jean/Sasha OTP.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\ That might be the best thing I've seen done with the new Happy Meal box meme yet.

Okay. I just went through the entire anime in three viewings and binge read the manga. I'm hooked as all hell. Goddamned getting hooked on another monthly manga; they're torture.

Since it's a monthly, how much/how long do I have to spoiler things? All month? Spoilering to be safe:

What's the speculation on Levi Ackerman instead of Rivialle? How are he and Kenny related to Mikasa? She didn't look like her "dad" one bit; I don't care if her mom was "oriental".

Also, I'm down with "Kenny the Ripper"; all he's missing is an eyepatch.

I'm waiting for the Claymore type reveal about the truth of the world, because you know the cloistered world within the walls isn't it.

Hanji. Hanji forever. There was so much that was said about her when she kicked the table over. Could not care less about Ichigo Eren.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Normally nobody puts stuff in tags a few days after a chapter is released

Also I'm pretty sure rivialle was never said to be his last name, just a bad translation of Levi

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It took me forever to understand that. You have to pronounce it in some Frenchie way, like you would "Versailles." It's like the world's most obnoxious "East Asians pronounce 'R' and 'L' the same" joke, except done utterly seriously.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Having read the manga while watching this series with friends who are seeing it for the first time can be very hard. There's been so many times I've almost burst out laughing at the foreshadowing, like Ymir's face when Pixis was announcing that Eren was a human-Titan. Or when I've caught myself almost accidentally saying Bertolt instead of Colossal Titan. And then on top of that, at one point my sister walked into the room and accidentally says, "Oh, hey, Annie; I haven't seen her in a w--"

And then of course I have another set of friends who'll want to watch it once the dub is complete and on Netflix.

:negative:

None of it will probably ever top the person in this thread who paused the video on Bertolt's face, to answer a friend's question, which turned out to be, "But where has the Colossal Titan been all this time?" though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Yeah, I've been watching the anime as it airs on Toonami with two roommates who know basically nothing about the series and holy poo poo if it isn't hard not to just crack up at all the little nods.

The one does know that titan-shifters are a thing, and so could take from there that the Armored and Colossal Titans were people, which has been great because he asked if we'd seen who they were yet and it was so very hard not to give any more hint than "yes, we have".

His theory now is that Pixis is the Colossal, much as everyone seems to decide at some point.