Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

moller posted:

Pretty much every exercise bike, stair-stepper, elliptical, etc made in the past 20 years has what amounts to a rudimentary videogame built in, it just uses LEDs for the "graphics" of the hills and valleys you're navigating.

They should figure out a way of linking GTA and a treadmill or exercise bike. Have a mode with no enemies or missions and you can walk/run/ride around the map. It's be a fun way to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

They should figure out a way of linking GTA and a treadmill or exercise bike. Have a mode with no enemies or missions and you can walk/run/ride around the map. It's be a fun way to explore.

At the Computer History Museum, Google has a bike hooked up to a screen showing Street View. You could steer and pedal through the streets of a city. Kind of cool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

Was looking for an image of Blade Runner on Laserdisc when I happened upon this:

The intricate and clever but overly expensive "solution" to a "problem" nobody had...using an obsolete format that never got a great foothold...the faux-wood paneling

Just way ahead of the curve!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
There was also one that hooked up to an SNES:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnd_UyQSYJA

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dick Trauma posted:

Back in the old days magazines like Creative Computing would publish simple programs in BASIC for you to type into your computer. There were also books like this one, which I took out of the library and read even though I didn't have a PC.

That makes libraries the first app store! :pseudo:

I loved this book as a kid. Never comprehended the code because I was a tiny child, but making BASIC run a Russian Roulette simulator was bad-rear end. :3:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Pham Nuwen posted:

My gym has these, where you can steer and shift and such.

Unfortunately the controls are absolute poo poo, steering is nothing like a real bike, the gearing is all funky, there's not much correlation between going up a slope and pedaling getting harder... Nobody uses them, and for good reason.

Far more economical, effective, fun, and operating under the assumption that people who want to train on a bike, you know, own a bike:

The Sufferfest.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mng posted:

That seems fun to me! I like cycling, but it's loving boring in the gym, even if you have music or something to watch.

Eh, it's fine, but I think they're limiting themselves to "fake bike almost like you're on a bike!" when it could be "fake bike through loving space and shoot lasers at aliens!"

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

theironjef posted:

Eh, it's fine, but I think they're limiting themselves to "fake bike almost like you're on a bike!" when it could be "fake bike through loving space and shoot lasers at aliens!"

No space lasers, but Prop Cycle let you bicycle through the sky in a bizarre (steampunk anime?) fantasy land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2qFz1yw4Xo&t=60s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_y7LVrQVdw

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

KozmoNaut posted:

Those were the days. One of my classmates was a die-hard Mac fanboy (in the horrible Mac OS 9 days), so the Gates=Hitler material was pretty much a constant stream.

My dad has hated Bill Gates for as long as I can remember and I've never quite understood why. He's an OG "worked on the huge 1960s computers" type, doesn't seem particularly fond of Apple either. He recently bought a new PC and was complaining about it on Facebook, longing for the days of DOS.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

leidend posted:

My dad has hated Bill Gates for as long as I can remember and I've never quite understood why. He's an OG "worked on the huge 1960s computers" type, doesn't seem particularly fond of Apple either. He recently bought a new PC and was complaining about it on Facebook, longing for the days of DOS.

He is a grognard. Ask him what he thinks about VAX, OS/2 and COBOL.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

My gym has these, where you can steer and shift and such.

Unfortunately the controls are absolute poo poo, steering is nothing like a real bike, the gearing is all funky, there's not much correlation between going up a slope and pedaling getting harder... Nobody uses them, and for good reason.

I used them when I had a membership at the Y because you could cycle inside a creepy giant's model train set. How could I not

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

moller posted:

No space lasers, but Prop Cycle let you bicycle through the sky in a bizarre (steampunk anime?) fantasy land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2qFz1yw4Xo&t=60s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_y7LVrQVdw

This is cool as hell. Wish I knew an arcade that had one!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The VCS 2600 Had a bike game too!

I can't find much info on this, but you had to pedal in order to use the joystick.

But there's more!

An Aerobics program. Likely to be performed wearing official Atari gear.

The French had some curious ideas back then.

The PET apparently weight 10.5kg.

As did this Osbourne 1.

Which I'm sure they kindly removed from the case before giving it to the model.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

leidend posted:

In that case, he probably is pining for the pre-commercialization days. Understandable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

WebDog posted:

The VCS 2600 Had a bike game too!
At the hacker camp HAL 2001 they had a bike-powered pong game. You had to keep pedalling to power the game, and the paddle was controlled by turning the handlebars.

The game would speed up the faster you pedalled (I'm guessing the game takes its clock from the line frequency?) , so a winning tactic was to slow down as the ball was approaching your paddle, then pedal like heck to speed the game up. However if both players slowed down the voltage would drop too low and the game would reset. :v:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

That is the sweetest poo poo ever

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Was looking for an image of Blade Runner on Laserdisc when I happened upon this:

The intricate and clever but overly expensive "solution" to a "problem" nobody had...using an obsolete format that never got a great foothold...the faux-wood paneling

To really put it in perspective, $20k in 1982 is $48k now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Grraarrgghh posted:

Nowadays, Gates is only Hitler to the neo-hippie slacktavist Facebook crowd, since he wants to murder African children.

Murder African children what now? :psyduck: The gently caress these people talking about?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

WebDog posted:

The French had some curious ideas back then.

The PET apparently weight 10.5kg.

As did this Osbourne 1.

Which I'm sure they kindly removed from the case before giving it to the model.

My second computer was a Kaypro II:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My friend had an SX-64:

Let me tell you that the C64's video output was sharp as hell when it was being shown on a 5" CRT. I remember playing Gunship on it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

LethalGeek posted:

Murder African children what now? :psyduck: The gently caress these people talking about?

Without meaning to derail too much, Bill and Melinda Gates are heavily involved in malaria and AIDS research in Africa. These folks tend to believe either that the malaria vaccine will secretly be poison, or that the increased focus on using protection during sex is their way of trying to kill off African blacks by lowering the birth rate.

Basically, crazy people being crazy people.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Phanatic posted:

My friend had an SX-64:

Let me tell you that the C64's video output was sharp as hell when it was being shown on a 5" CRT. I remember playing Gunship on it.

That is one SXy machine.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Phanatic posted:

My friend had an SX-64:

Did it have a video out port for home use on a monitor/tv? Because if so, that's awesome. Better than a standard C64, really.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Oh yeah, the 80's. Would that screen even be visible in daylight, even under an umbrella?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's a CRT so it would be ok. That's what ATM screens were for a long time.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuYs94x7oyU
foreeeveeeerrr

That was so amazing to me when I saw it on a friend's Voodoo card, before I got my own Voodoo2.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Did it have a video out port for home use on a monitor/tv? Because if so, that's awesome. Better than a standard C64, really.

Video output yes, but no RF, so you could hook it up to a monitor but not a regular television. Also didn't have the cassette interface.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Video output yes, but no RF, so you could hook it up to a monitor but not a regular television. Also didn't have the cassette interface.

Did the diskette drive have stock 1541 innards?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

joat mon posted:

Ah yeah, Kaypro supremacy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

joat mon posted:

The first thought through my head when I saw this before scrolling to the second picture was "Hey that's a pretty stylish PC case."

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

I had this, played Descent with it once. Calibration sucks. In fact, the entire setup was much less effective than dual WASD for that game.

15-year old self made some really stupid purchases.

This one's going in the bin, the ones on eBay won't go away after 30 days of listing for $10. Not worth the effort.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

I had this, played Descent with it once. Calibration sucks. In fact, the entire setup was much less effective than dual WASD for that game.

This one's going in the bin, the ones on eBay won't go away after 30 days of listing for $10. Not worth the effort.

I had this joystick and also played Descent with it!! It was pretty fun to play with but agree about the sucky calibration.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Let me reveal the shame in my living room:

OnLive Microconsole: Game streamer. Pros: nice controller once you adjust, works well with a good internet connection. I got this for free but I would have bought one with no regrets. You could record "brag clips" and spectate other players, it was ahead of its time. Cons: No wi-fi, extremely limited game selection, occasional fuckups if your internet hiccups. The hardware failed, but the tech is good. See: Steam's recent partnership with OnLive.

Boxee TV: Media streamer / tv thing. Pros: Best Netflix player I've used and I've used a lot. Cons: Was inoperable until later patches, sucks at everything else it does, probably will never see any further development. Failure.

Ouya: Y'all know what it is. I get some use out of it because it'll work with many different controllers and it's a p good emulator machine.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I was under the impression that the OUYA is garbage and didn't the developers dumb it like a thick steaming turd straight after launch?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Drone_Fragger posted:

I was under the impression that the OUYA is garbage and didn't the developers dumb it like a thick steaming turd straight after launch?

Well we are in the failed technology thread.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Laserjet 4P posted:

I had one and thought it was great for MechWarrior 2. But yeah, it did take a long time to calibrate and set everything up.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

The OUYA thread pretty much documents the sheer disaster that thing is. Even the bottom rung excuse of "It's for emulators" is a poor one as it's been shown to struggle properly emulating SNES games, let alone attempt any console with 3D graphics. Almost all developers have seen the light and dwindling sales have ditched the platform, with the saving grace that given it's Android it's trivial to just "port" it back over to Google Play.

Ouya's now attempting to re-brand as a service of sorts, kind of like an exclusive store, to get around the severe shortcomings. Plus the kicker is that backers still haven't received their unit.

I think it was PC World that summed it up with "as a reviewer we get tons of junk that is barely worth our time, Ouya just happens to come with some publicity but fails to live up to that"

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Manky posted:

Let me reveal the shame in my living room:

You also have one of those lovely Linksys routers. I've killed two of those bloody things. You'd think being Cisco's consumer line, they'd be awesome, but nope. gently caress those routers.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

WebDog posted:

The OUYA thread pretty much documents the sheer disaster that thing is. Even the bottom rung excuse of "It's for emulators" is a poor one as it's been shown to struggle properly emulating SNES games, let alone attempt any console with 3D graphics. Almost all developers have seen the light and dwindling sales have ditched the platform, with the saving grace that given it's Android it's trivial to just "port" it back over to Google Play.

Ouya's now attempting to re-brand as a service of sorts, kind of like an exclusive store, to get around the severe shortcomings. Plus the kicker is that backers still haven't received their unit.

I think it was PC World that summed it up with "as a reviewer we get tons of junk that is barely worth our time, Ouya just happens to come with some publicity but fails to live up to that"

The Ouya thread is pretty much the worst (best?) example of a goon circlejerk you'll ever see. The Ouya had, and has, a list of problems as long as my arm, but for a lot of people the purchase hasn't been the disaster that the ridiculous Ouya thread would have you believe. Of the twenty or so people who have made 95% of the posts in that thread, I'm fairly certain that few to none have actually used an Ouya themselves.

I can say first hand (I own an Ouya) that NES and SNES emulation is basically perfect on it and has been for a long time. This isn't anything you mentioned, but XBMC runs great on it as well.

I don't know where you get the idea that backers still haven't received their unit, but I certainly can't find anything that backs it up. I would venture to say that appears that all backers received their units no later than about ten months ago (mid-September 2013). It was still atrociously lovely for Ouya to take that long, seeing as how they managed to get units on retail shelves by July, but at least people did finally get them.

I personally know three people who purchased Ouyas through Kickstarter. They all got theirs and I got mine by July of last year. The three people all use them daily for XBMC, and occasionally for a bit of gaming. Of the four of us, I'm really the only one who was stupid to buy an Ouya, because I already had an HTPC for XBMC and a PS3 for emulators by the time the Ouya shipped, so these days my Ouya is just hanging out in a drawer.

Here's a recent article discussing one person's recent experience playing an Ouya with friends. I've played all the games he discusses, and I'd agree with the article pretty much completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mr. Beefhead posted:

I don't know where you get the idea that backers still haven't received their unit, but I certainly can't find anything that backs it up. I would venture to say that appears that all backers received their units no later than about ten months ago (mid-September 2013). It was still atrociously lovely for Ouya to take that long, seeing as how they managed to get units on retail shelves by July, but at least people did finally get them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/comments