Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless that 350Z is making stupid power, that doesn't seem like a place where a rough upshift should cause you to snap around like that.

It was 246whp a few years ago when the previous owner had it tuned. One of the fellas said there is a bump there but I think I was well clear of that. With the Detroit GP last weekend I haven't had a chance to dig into it more. I'll probably pull the steering rack this weekend and take a look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Aw gently caress the M3 we were going to buy sold between me checking it out at lunch and my team mate getting there after work.

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010
First day of having my '99 Integra Type R out on the track - Aussie spec with no mods other than Tein suspension, Cusco brake stopper, Mugen baffled sump and modified airbox (ducted to the bumper). The car has jusst hit 49K kms on the odometer but still chewed a bit of oil up.

Track is Wakefield Park in New South Wales, didn't set the world on fire but I was there for fun - the car sat on 8000+ rpm a lot of the time and the day got better and better so I had a lot of fun. No times but I learnt a lot, especially as the FT86 was cooling his brakes and then proceeded to sit behind and push me to go cleaner than I had at the start of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpb6YIZn9RM

Just a fun day, next time I'm going to change the brake pads a week before though - I haven't changed these ones in 3 1/2 years of ownership

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I thought Integra Type R's only existed in parts on a chop shop floor

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I thought Integra Type R's only existed in parts on a chop shop floor

Only in the US and A (and possibly Canada). Elsewhere they're just another trim of Integra.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So uh... 3rd track day ever. Something clicked in my 2nd session, and my confidence went up enough that I was actually really pushing. Got pulled from the novice group and stuck in intermediate. Got pulled from the intermediate and stuck in the top / advanced run group. I was consistently getting my heel / toe, hitting my braking points, clean lines, and in the words of my instructor... "Pit next lap, I want to follow you through the carousel section because you're getting it cleaner and faster than I've been able to, and doing it every lap, and I've been lapping here for more than 10 years". I also went through a full tank, when last year with the same amount of track time I used half a tank. There's still so much to learn, and I'm still nowhere near what the limit of the car is, but that was really nice to hear.

I'm still blown away by just how much fun this is.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Just wait til there are a couple of other cars in the corner to dice with. :). It gets even better.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yep, TrueChaos, I know what you mean. My last track day at Thunderhill was one of those epiphany days. Heel-toe starts working for you consistently and you really start to realize what it actually means to drive 9 or 10/10ths. I gots me some new Rivals and I can't wait to destroy Thunderhill again on Friday.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

One of the best feelings in the world is throwing the car into a corner, feeling the front push just a bit, putting your foot in it, feeling the back start to let go, having the car seemingly pivot about it's axis and slingshot out of the corner. The back end moving just enough that you can dial out some of the steering input so the push goes away as it comes around... So great. Last time at this track I'd back off if I was feeling any kind of push/slide at all.

Plus, getting passed is awesome, because it means you can try and keep up. Best motivation to push harder is trying to keep up with / reel in that car just ahead of you. I got passed lots in the advanced group, and learned a tonne & saw different lines as a result.

Both my shoulders are also bruised, bucket seat is great and all but man I'm sore. Please excuse the ridiculous posts that must sound normal to all of you, but I'm still amazed by the fun.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Track days own. What car were you driving?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

One of the best feelings in the world is throwing the car into a corner, feeling the front push just a bit, putting your foot in it, feeling the back start to let go, having the car seemingly pivot about it's axis and slingshot out of the corner. The back end moving just enough that you can dial out some of the steering input so the push goes away as it comes around... So great. Last time at this track I'd back off if I was feeling any kind of push/slide at all.

Plus, getting passed is awesome, because it means you can try and keep up. Best motivation to push harder is trying to keep up with / reel in that car just ahead of you. I got passed lots in the advanced group, and learned a tonne & saw different lines as a result.

Both my shoulders are also bruised, bucket seat is great and all but man I'm sore. Please excuse the ridiculous posts that must sound normal to all of you, but I'm still amazed by the fun.

You're dancing with the car :3

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

eriddy posted:

Track days own. What car were you driving?

99 miata, only mods are 15x9's with 225 RS3's, rollbar, bucket, 6 point harness.

Dancing with the car is the perfect way to put it :3:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
On stock springs? drat. I'm on FMs and I'm afraid these 205 Rivals are going to overwhelm them.

But yeah, dancing, exactly. Using lift throttle to get the rear to come around and help guide the car through a turn. Part throttle when you think you don't need it, to keep the car settled through a turn. It's truly amazing how much you can get most cars to do, and truly depressing to really know what 99% of Vettes, Ferraris, etc. are missing from their lives.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Stock suspension with ~115k miles on it. Ride bumpstops all day long.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That 150# to ohgod# transition:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Got pulled from the novice group and stuck in intermediate. Got pulled from the intermediate and stuck in the top / advanced run group.

Cangrats. Novice to Advanced in one day is unheard of, I've never seen it happen.

TrueChaos posted:

Both my shoulders are also bruised, bucket seat is great and all but man I'm sore.

Time for seats and harnesses (and a roll bar).

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

Cangrats. Novice to Advanced in one day is unheard of, I've never seen it happen.

Time for seats and harnesses (and a roll bar).

I probably should have been in intermediate to start, just wasn't confident. I have a Sprint V, 6 point, and a bar ;)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Anyone have any ideas for good starting pressures for Hankook Z214 C51s? They are 225/45r15 on a ~2350# (as raced weight) Miata.

I saw some miata.net posts saying shoot for the general area of 36-38 hot, anyone have any experiences to back that up? These things are pretty clapped out so I'm not expecting much out of them. The rears have a nice blue ring on the edges of the tread.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Setanta posted:

First day of having my '99 Integra Type R out on the track - Aussie spec with no mods other than Tein suspension, Cusco brake stopper, Mugen baffled sump and modified airbox (ducted to the bumper). The car has jusst hit 49K kms on the odometer but still chewed a bit of oil up.

Track is Wakefield Park in New South Wales, didn't set the world on fire but I was there for fun - the car sat on 8000+ rpm a lot of the time and the day got better and better so I had a lot of fun. No times but I learnt a lot, especially as the FT86 was cooling his brakes and then proceeded to sit behind and push me to go cleaner than I had at the start of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpb6YIZn9RM

Just a fun day, next time I'm going to change the brake pads a week before though - I haven't changed these ones in 3 1/2 years of ownership

Do those brake stoppers make much of a difference? I've been tempted to get one for a while.

Got my TD05 fitted and bedded in the XP8s now i'm going to be at Brands Hatch on the 12th for an evening session.

Heres a shot of me at Castle combe last month. I was still on the stock turbo then, it had a failing oil seal which was fun to explain to the marshals why I was smokescreening everyone behind me when queuing to get on track. As soon as the car was under load the smoke cleared up, although it did feel a bit down on power.

We also had a Radical and one of these running on track, both were so much faster than everything else it was ridiculous. Also there was a guy who turned up in a fully prepped m3 on slicks who binned it on the first lap in the morning when it was still damp.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Had a (hot) blast at Thunderhill at a combined SpeedSF/BAMD track day. Loving the BFG Rivals, they made up for the high track temps and a sub-optimal suspension setup. I improved my average laps times by almost 5 seconds over the last time I was there, with a best of roughly 2:18 with the cyclone, so that's good. There were a bunch of nice time attack cars there as well as a full-on GT2 looking 911 that I believe was the car that turned in the FTD of 1:56 something I think. We also got to do a parade lap of the full 5 mile circuit, and man that new addition is going to add some much needed lower speed technical aspects and two wicked elevation changes going between the new and old halves.

And this is a small sample of the rubber bits (and brake dust) I scrubbed off my front wheels. Not pictured; all the ones that came off on the highway going home, ones I picked off by hand, and ones that have become part of my tires. By 3:00 there was mucho rubbero all over that drat track. I can hear it being flung off my tires and bouncing off the underside of the car plain as day in the video I took. And yes, that is a toilet brush. And yes, it's new and not for the toilet. It works loving great on my 6ULs.

edit: Giving props to Bill Wang Photography for the track action pics.
edit edit: I stopped at about 3:35 because grip from the tires was going waaay down. I put 2 off in turn 6 so I called it a day. Shortly after that a Civic running in the A or B group ended up on it's roof coming down off the cyclone. I guess it must have went sideways coming over the top and slid into the dirt and rolled onto it's back and stopped with its butt pointed down hill. It's a miracle they didn't keep rolling down the hill. Wish I would have been close enough to get a picture of that. No injuries, so I guess there's that.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 9, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Be careful out there guys. Some bad incidents at NASA Hyperfest at Summit Point this weekend.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think I heard about it when I was at CMP this weekend. Dude cooked it during a Hyperdrive and the course had no armco, hit a tree, and the instructor was on the business end of blunt force trauma. Right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's what it sounded like to me, then I looked up the Hyperdrive. I guess it's some kind of 15-20 minute HPDE while your friends are all watching you?

Feel awful for the instructor.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not really a fan of Cayuga's road course, I think. It was still fun but insanely wet.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Phone posted:

I think I heard about it when I was at CMP this weekend. Dude cooked it during a Hyperdrive and the course had no armco, hit a tree, and the instructor was on the business end of blunt force trauma. Right?

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news...ce6d384cd4.html

Sad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So yeah, turns out everything that I've heard about it was true. I thought it happened sometime in the past, not like the day before.

Hyperdrive is a short, run what you brung, "DE" where some of the rules are a bit more lax as to what can drive, but speeds are generally lower because the expectations of everything associated on track is lower. My understanding of it is parade laps, but you can open it up a little bit. Perfect for bragging how you were totally ripping it up on a track this weekend and doesn't have the commitment of a full track weekend.

The crash happened on the Jefferson Circuit which has no/sparse armco off of the track, so there's about your car between you and anything that you hit. Armco is there to prevent bad situations from becoming worse situations, and unfortunately there was no armco.

Being an instructor has to be a daunting task because it's literally "hey complete stranger, I hope you don't get me maimed in exchange for a discounted entry fee!"

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

Being an instructor has to be a daunting task because it's literally "hey complete stranger, I hope you don't get me maimed in exchange for a discounted entry fee!"

The first few laps with a new student are always kind of scary because you don't know what to expect and how well they will listen. Most the time students (especially first time) are timid and you can work up to speed but every once and a while you get some guy always a male student who thinks they are hot poo poo and you have to set strict limits.

Hate to hear about this sort of thing happening though. You always know it can happen when you're at the track but things like this just remind you.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

The first few laps with a new student are always kind of scary because you don't know what to expect and how well they will listen.

This.

I started providing instruction for two clubs recently, and it's great when you get the type that constantly holds back, so you get to prod them within their ability zone for better results, but when you get those hotshots that'll do whatever it takes to shave seconds, it gets kinda nerve wracking. It's terrible that something this severe happened. :ohdear:

Does anyone know what the safety standards were set for at the event? NASA's usually pretty good at keeping their safety stewards in check.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
There was also a driver in PTD that got airlifted to the hospital that day. Two cars involved in that one but the driver of the other car walked away. Rumor says that the passenger side a-piller was a few inches from his helmet. Tree[s] were also involved.

There is a thread on RRAX with a ton if info and the less-injured driver posting.

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?49404-Red-flag-at-Hyperfest/page2&p=1429935#post1429935

FatCow fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 10, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FatCow posted:

There was also a driver in PTD that got airlifted to the hospital that day. Two cars involved in that one but the driver of the other car walked away. Rumor says that the passenger side a-piller was a few inches from his helmet. Tree[s] were also involved.

There is a thread on RRAX with a ton if info and the less-injured driver posting.

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?49404-Red-flag-at-Hyperfest/page2&p=1429935#post1429935

Yea, Todd is a friend and has instructed me in the past. Bunch of us were worried that he was the instructor from earlier.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Do you know anything about his safety gear? Rumor is that he had a bolt in cage that failed (passenger forward hoop was ~center car and driver side forward hoop tore off the floorpan) and a OEM style seat with a back brace.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
That picture of the passenger side of the GTO. The side is just crushed inward. (I'm not going to post the picture.)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Christ that GTO picture is terrifying. Also not going to post it.

As someone who's still new to track days, I have only the utmost respect for those who've instructed me, and am always careful when there's an instructor with me.

I swear though, trackdays are like crack.

Video from Shannonville last monday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6pE6yR2vY

Shannonville is very flat, lots of run off, nothing you can really run into for ages. Calabogie on the other hand...

Video from Calabogie Friday evening, with an excellent instructor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9u8uQ8BJo

Blind corners, turns over crests (turning in when you can't see that the road turns takes getting used to), lots of elevation changes. I'm back there again this Friday, can't wait.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 10, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FatCow posted:

Do you know anything about his safety gear? Rumor is that he had a bolt in cage that failed (passenger forward hoop was ~center car and driver side forward hoop tore off the floorpan) and a OEM style seat with a back brace.

I've raced with the car and seen it. It was an autopower cage that was welded into the car with plates and so forth. And yes, it was an OEM seat with back brace. I had always questioned it; but, the car fit the rules at the time it was built. A lot of it was grandfathered as the rules changed. I've yet to see the car in its current form since I wasn't at the event.

Thankfully he is still him and is getting discharged tomorrow.

* Edit - Honestly, my opinion is that when he initially built the car. It was safe. That car has seen years and years of HARD racing. I feel like the chassis itself was just tired and old.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 10, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

Geez..... can we take that picture down please?? Is this SomethingAwful?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Also lost a racer at RA during the WERA races this past weekend, not a good weekend.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

Hyperdrive is a short, run what you brung, "DE" where some of the rules are a bit more lax as to what can drive, but speeds are generally lower because the expectations of everything associated on track is lower. My understanding of it is parade laps, but you can open it up a little bit. Perfect for bragging how you were totally ripping it up on a track this weekend and doesn't have the commitment of a full track weekend.

Hyderdrives aren't any more lax than a DE. It's the same as a DE but with just one classroom session and one track session.
That is not to say that DE rules and tech are not lax.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

That is not to say that DE rules and tech are not lax.

I tell you, since I started racing I've developed strong reservations against getting into / driving a street car on the race track. Stories like this don't make it any better. Not ashamed to say the last time I had my road car out on a track I dove a leisurely pace.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Honestly it's still a hell of a lot safer than commuting to work everyday.

The safety regs are more than fine, poo poo just happens sometimes. Maybe I'll put a bit more effort into getting that roll bar for my track car sooner rather than later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Anybody else doing the lemons race weekend after next in Buttonwillow?