Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

Oh poo poo you live in New York don't you? S4 needs to start with Fusco munching on some tim bits.

I never had the Tim Bits and I'm not sure they have them in the little satellite shop they opened up in my area. Their Maple Dipped donuts are the truth, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

DivisionPost posted:

It's very good.

It only took them 138,942 attempts, impressive.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Dude lives in Massachusetts, if Kevin Chapman betrayed his people by eating at a chain outside of Dunkin Donuts they would nail him to a cross. Not nail him to the cross, as in some sort of idiom expressing their displeasure, but they would actually go to his house with a big ol cross and they would crucify him.

Trigger Warning: Robot Chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bRCLMjTHts

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So I just started watching s1. Not terrible but seems sorta bland. When does this show start getting really good and can I go straight to that point?

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Ragingsheep posted:

So I just started watching s1. Not terrible but seems sorta bland. When does this show start getting really good and can I go straight to that point?

It's a slow start indeed, but hang in there. They're just building some mythology at the beginning, like prepping/cooking the food before landing it on your table for you to devour it.

If memory serves well, I think I got hooked by episode 7. I usually give 5 episodes to a new show before getting off, but had made an exception in this case because of Michael Emerson. If that guy is on something, that something is good, so I trusted his judgment. He did not disappoint.

edit: watch all of the episodes, otherwise you'll get confused. There are flashbacks you need to know about.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ep 7 is when it starts laying down arc stuff, by ep 13 the procedural stuff is nailed down and the arc stuff gets real tight. I wouldn't really skip any episode cause there's hella flashbacks. (exceptions being 2x09, 2x17 and 3x15)

General consensus is if by the end of ep 13 you aren't into it then feel free to jump ship.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
7 is Witness right?

The ending song on that episode set the bar for the rest of the series.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

7 is Witness right?

The ending song on that episode set the bar for the rest of the series.

Yes, Witness. I was blown away by the ending.

What was the song?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pilli posted:

Yes, Witness. I was blown away by the ending.

What was the song?

Sinnerman by Nina Simone.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

Sinnerman by Nina Simone.

Nice, thank you. I'll reserve my comments so as not to spoil our (hopefully) new viewer. But here's the short version of the song us fans, for some S1 nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbIG_b2IMO0

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cura Te Ipsum (episode 4?) is the one that hooked me. I thought that ending was pretty unexpected, despite the fact the rest of the episode was pretty standard. Also that guy was the worst.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
You guys.

The season finale ends with Radiohead

And Root has a RADIO in her HEAD

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Metropolis posted:

You guys.

The season finale ends with Radiohead

And Root has a RADIO in her HEAD

I somehow suspect that the writers aren't even aware of that, like it's just a happy coincidence because they were going for the title and/or the lyrics. Nice catch.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Best use of music in this show for me is a tie between I'm Afraid of Americans in 1x22 and Future Starts Slow in 2x16(Shaw's intro ep).

During most of S1 you aren't sure if the makers of this show are secretly pro surveillance state or not. It's never really addressed and then boom, that moment hits and its like oh poo poo, these guys are going for it, this really is some kind of warped dystopia version of the real world. This is of course without mentioning that the episode happened almost two whole years before Snowden.

Shaw's intro ep felt like the whole thing was falling into place. Here we have this one woman army who the biggest bad guys we know about so far just want to kill at all costs. A lot of people I know tend to suggest this ep as a first to see if you wanna watch the show and I think it's really unfair because so much of this episode is payoff for having followed the series up to this point. The way they save Shaw, and manage to fool the biggest power in the show's world up to that point would have been impossible to pull off at the start of the show, and it's a triumphant moment when these weird unconventional people Shaw just met can pull this amazing feat just to save a single person.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

Best use of music in this show for me is a tie between I'm Afraid of Americans in 1x22 and Future Starts Slow in 2x16(Shaw's intro ep).

You put "Future Starts Slow" over a very recent, very perfect cue that you must have forgotten about. What have you become, my sweetest friend?

Also from that same episode, Digitalism's "Miami Showdown" from its centerpiece four-way shootout. I blast that anytime I want to get the blood rolling and it always brings me back to that scene.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Hurt montage is just unfair, it transcends needing to be listed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is one of my favourite montage moments of the show, when Harold almost quits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_dyqFmKys Not the entire ending unfortunately.

The lyrics in combination with the events on screen are a perfect match.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 4, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
My favorite not-Hurt music cue is when they used Eminence Front in an episode of S1 or S2. I don't remember which one, though.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

2x12, the exact moment where the show goes from great to amazing and never lets up.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would say that it really starts in season 2, we get introduced to Root, Leon and Bear. Although having re-watched all three season recently, it feels like a bit of a tease. We get a hint of the overall story, and then they go back to number of the week format, until halfway through season 2.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hell, I even enjoy the number of the week episodes, just because you never know when they'll turn it around in the last 5 minutes and have the number be a big player. My friend came over and caught the end of the episode where Elias takes his revenge for Carter's death and all he could say was "That's a mob boss? I just don't see it." And all I could say was Yeah, the Russians didn't either.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I finally got my hands on the bluray box set for the first season and watched the extended pilot. It flows a lot better than the broadcast pilot, in which a lot of the scenes had the fat cut out and some of the dialogue feels really rushed as a result. Also one of the removed scenes adds some actual weight to the standoff at the end, where the guy they were gonna frame for the shooting actually appeared earlier in the episode.

Only think that kinda breaks the argument for this being the thing people should watch instead of the broadcast pilot is they have an equivalent to the scene from 1x21 where Finch buys Reese a fancy loft.(different set though.)

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
In the commentary version, the writers really repeated a lot - a lot - how disappointed they were to have the pilot cut off. You could feel their pain at every "new" scene.

Has anyone who has played Watch Dogs so far noticed a similarity between Aiden's voice and John's? It's almost the same tone. I was flabbergasted.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I feel like there's more of an angry grit to Aiden's voice, typical of most gritty video game protagonists, as opposed to John who just basically speaks in whispers.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, did you hear that clink? Sounds like somebody dropped a penny on a railroad track, which can only mean that :siren:The 2014 TV IV Awards are around the corner!:siren:

We've got a few new categories -- most of them refurbished favorites -- and the potential for many more! But before we do any of that, we need a pool of candidates to vote from! So if you'll please direct your attention to The "For Your Consideration" Survey, kindly hosted by Annakie... I'm not gonna lie, it's a little more intimidating than I'd like, but don't worry about filling out the whole thing or trying to remember every single piece of good TV you saw this year in the span of twenty minutes. You can submit this form as many times as you want, so just bookmark the ballot, pop in whenever you think of something, submit, and then when you think of something else, come on back. You've got plenty of time; I'm not forging ahead with the nomination vote until the last week of June at the earliest.

I'll make one more post in here when the proper TV IV Awards thread goes up. Beyond that, I'm sure a lot of people would rather let Couch Chat be Couch Chat, so I'll respect that.

You know what to do, people.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I really don't mean to triple post but the information on the s3 boxsets is out!

Bullet points:

Two new featurettes:
-Person of Interest: The Future of A.I. - Interviews with the creators of Person of Interest about how real life technology is showcased within the show. The piece also speaks with leading A.I experts from prestigious universities and institutions to see where the world is heading and how close fiction is to fact.

-Saying Goodbye to Carter - A piece highlighting Detective Carter and her impact on the show as well as the Person of Interest team as her character exits

-Episode commentary by series star Michael Emerson

-Bear: Short piece on Bear, the team's "adopted" dog and always a fan-favorite

-Gag Reel

-Blu-ray/DVD pack includes UltraViolet Digital Copy

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Person-Season-3/19910#ixzz34RzxEMM4

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That sounds like some nice extras, i would be interested to know how many episodes there are commentary tracks on.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Probably just the premiere and the finale, though I think The Devil's Share and The Crossing could probably use the commentary treatment.

There's also word going around that CBS is actually submitting PoI to the Emmys this year, with basically every cast member nominated for something. Here's hoping Taraji P. Henson wins something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zaggitz posted:

-Saying Goodbye to Carter - A piece highlighting Detective Carter and her impact on the show as well as the Person of Interest team as her character exits

I hope nobody reads featurettes before actually watching the season. I wish I didn't know that somebody was going to die that episode, because the impact would have been even more than it already was.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaggitz posted:

Probably just the premiere and the finale, though I think The Devil's Share and The Crossing could probably use the commentary treatment.

There's also word going around that CBS is actually submitting PoI to the Emmys this year, with basically every cast member nominated for something. Here's hoping Taraji P. Henson wins something.

It did. Caviezel and Emerson both submitted for Lead Actor, neither of which will get even a nom. Kevin Chapman submitted for Supporting Actor, which he won't get a nom for, and Shahi and Henson both submitted for Supporting Actress. Henson has very little chance of getting on the ballot and Shahi has whatever is slightly better then very little chance is

Actors submitting is usually studio and network independent so this means nothing, it remains to be seen if CBS uses whatever sway they have with the "For Your Considerations" to Emmy voters to try and convince them to vote PoI (note: they won't)

Person of Interest did submit for Outstanding Drama Series, which ahahahahahahahhahahahaha no loving chance

In Writing, Person of Interest submitted "Deus Ex Machina" and "Devil's Share". It has a very low to almost infinitesimal chance of getting nominated for either let alone both but the more likely candidate is Devil's Share. to be clear neither of these episodes will receive a nomination, the field is going to be stacked with at least two Breaking Bad episodes, one True Detective episode, one Game of Thrones episode, and the remaining two slots will receive the taster's choice of The Americans/Mad Men/Boardwalk/Fargo. and even if the emmy voters throw in a pity never-gonna-win-ever-but-we-have-to-make-the-networks-feel-good nom in Writing that'll go to Good Wife

Now for the fields that PoI has a legit chance of getting nominated in, aka the technical ones: PoI didn't submit for Stunt Coordination, yeah it doesn't make any sense to me either

Cinematography has one submission, and that's Aletheia, aka the second part of the Claypool 2-parter. don't remember that cinematography in that ep bein especially strong, low chance of getting in

In both Sound Editing and Sound Mixing PoI submitted Devil's Share and this is by far their best shot of getting a nom (as in a realistically decent one), since the Hurt montage is so obviously good

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I find it hilarious Amazon Canada has the s3 boxset pre-order up already but not Amazon US.

it's a joke about how POI airs in canada first

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It was already up on Amazon US during the season finale, but they seem to have ran out of pre-order copies.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hey guys if you like the more conspiracy theory aspects of PoI I've just made a thread for the British conspiracy thriller Utopia. It is very good and only 6 episodes please watch it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It is a loving brutal series.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Zaggitz posted:

Hey guys if you like the more conspiracy theory aspects of PoI I've just made a thread for the British conspiracy thriller Utopia. It is very good and only 6 episodes please watch it.

Where is Jessica Hyde? That was a pretty great show too. They showed it here a year or two ago I think.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Series 2 starts next month! It's why I made the thread.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Season 4 started shooting today! Comic-con is in a few weeks, Is anyone going/attending the PoI panel?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Zaggitz posted:

Series 2 starts next month! It's why I made the thread.

For a second, I thought you were talking about PoI. Now I'm very, very sad...

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Season 4 starts in two months! I'm working on the thread!

(it's so good you guys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Here's a huge interview about season 4 that also doubles as a timeline refresher.

Person of Interest Comic-Con panel is on Saturday! Get hype!

• Locked thread