Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

We lost twice to this loving Dragons team :negative:

That was all part of the Matt Elliott era I'm trying so hard to forget.

gently caress I'm glad the club has given up on Eden Park for regular season games, I hated going there. Pain in the rear end to get too and from the place, crap view, crap atmosphere. Mt Smart is a vastly superior stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

That was all part of the Matt Elliott era I'm trying so hard to forget.

gently caress I'm glad the club has given up on Eden Park for regular season games, I hated going there. Pain in the rear end to get too and from the place, crap view, crap atmosphere. Mt Smart is a vastly superior stadium.

The Warriors at Mount Smart is how it should always be. like the Tigers at Leichardt or Campbelltown. gently caress those soulless cavernous stadiums they're trying to force us to use after forcing us to pay for them in the first place.

Oh also we forgot to celebrate Jerome Ropati's retirement :toot:

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

Oh also we forgot to celebrate Jerome Ropati's retirement :toot:

I don't wish the guy any harm, but I'm glad he's gone. He's been a joke of a first grader for about four seasons. He single handedly cost us games with his godawful defence, and this was despite struggling to play more than five games a season. The various coaches we've managed to keep finding excuses (veteran presence!) to send him out there, and it always hurt us.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Zak Hardaker. Young lad, plays for Leeds. The odd one or two of you might recall him getting pissed up during the last World Cup and getting chucked from the squad. He's had an impressive season off the back of that, though. Just been invited to the latest train-on squad. Even got a nice writeup in a national newspaper a couple of weeks ago.

quote:

“I’m hoping through my performances and my dealings with the media that people will see I’m not a bad lad,” he says. “I know what I’m capable of. I really want to show what is the real me. I didn’t recognise the person who people said I was, all that rebellious, arrogant stuff. That wasn’t me. I want people to know who I really am and what I’m capable of delivering.”

Stirring words. How are you getting on with that, mate?

https://vine.co/v/Md0egWOePWp

Oh.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/02/leeds-zak-hardaker-charged-homophobic-slur-referee

Oh dear. That's not gone well at all.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Aye he's going to be serving a lengthy ban for that, I think, no matter who it was aimed at. Shame, because he's been SYOOOPEEERRRB this season.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

I literally live a minute away from Eden Park but even I'd prefer us to play at Mt Smart. It's a poo poo stadium, it's cold, it's not close, but it's our home :unsmith:

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 4, 2014

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Much like us playing out of ANZ rather than Leichhardt :suicide:

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Poor old Raiders, Tedesco pulled out of the deal.

They haven't got any of the ones they were chasing - Tedesco, Proctor, Ennis, Mansour

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That's odd. Did he meet Stuart for the first time after the announcement and suddenly realise the error of his ways?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Has it been fully confirmed yet? I'm just seeing stories on less than official websites...

And if he has, it's probably just whatever drugs they had him on wearing off. Why else would he have agreed to play for sticky?

E: hahaha yep Furner confirming it on smh.com.au. What is it about the tigers where we can't negotiate to save our lives, but we somehow manage to guilt players once they've signed elsewhere?

iajanus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 4, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yay Tigers

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

iajanus posted:

Has it been fully confirmed yet? I'm just seeing stories on less than official websites...

And if he has, it's probably just whatever drugs they had him on wearing off. Why else would he have agreed to play for sticky?

E: hahaha yep Furner confirming it on smh.com.au. What is it about the tigers where we can't negotiate to save our lives, but we somehow manage to guilt players once they've signed elsewhere?

I heard Sticky told him that Proctor, Ennis and Mansour were all done deals, and he was part of a rebuilding plan.
The other three dropped out and he got cold feet.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
That's a shock, he was reportedly being offered megabucks by Canberra, like $300k more per season that the Tigers. Poor old Ricky may not have the luxury of cutting anybody at this rate, the only person they've targeted who is still keen is Joel Thompson who is homesick (and kind of average anyway).

edit: When Tedesco gets his inevitable career ending injury next season he's really going to regret this decision.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 4, 2014

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Red_Museum posted:

Poor old Raiders, Tedesco pulled out of the deal.

They haven't got any of the ones they were chasing - Tedesco, Proctor, Ennis, Mansour

Same thing happened to Parra when Stuart was coaching. Josh Papalii, Craig Gower, Israel Folau, Martin Kennedy and a bunch of others came close to signing and just backed right off.

Come to think of it, we dodged some bullets there...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

Same thing happened to Parra when Stuart was coaching. Josh Papalii, Craig Gower, Israel Folau, Martin Kennedy and a bunch of others came close to signing and just backed right off.

Come to think of it, we dodged some bullets there...

Yeah that folau kid is poo poo.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I can't blame the kid for getting cold feet. The club sold him a bunch of nonsense about a rebuild.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm more amazed at how bad Canberra's talent acquisition team is - they really have missed out on nearly everyone they've targeted. That's a special kind of terrible.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Maybe no one wants to live there? This is Canberra we're talking about! (for the record I lived there for four years and I completely understand if that's the case) :geno:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
According to my spam folder Ben Te'o is quitting the Rabbits because he was getting abuse on tweitter over beating his girlfriend.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Byolante posted:

According to my spam folder Ben Te'o is quitting the Rabbits because he was getting abuse on tweitter over beating his girlfriend.

He's off to french rugby imo.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

iajanus posted:

I'm more amazed at how bad Canberra's talent acquisition team is - they really have missed out on nearly everyone they've targeted. That's a special kind of terrible.

Location doesn't help but neither does the fact the raiders are a pack of incompetent old boys at management level. The club has a disgusting culture. Now location would turn some blokes off but we had tedesco signed this is about culture and possibly Stuart selling him a deal on a pack of lies.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm thinking it's more a management/coaching issue rather than location. People regularly sign agreements to play in terrible locations (North Queensland, Campbelltown) so I can't see Canberra being too bad. Whatever he was sold obviously just fell through in his eyes, and he realised he still had time to back the gently caress out of it. Good for him.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I don't know, he has reportedly left $1m above the Tiger's offer on the table which seems insane to me given his injury record.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would have taken the money and set myself up. By the end of the contract he would be in career best form and ready to move to a premiership winning side.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Location doesn't help but neither does the fact the raiders are a pack of incompetent old boys at management level. The club has a disgusting culture. Now location would turn some blokes off but we had tedesco signed this is about culture and possibly Stuart selling him a deal on a pack of lies.

I'm usually sympathetic to Canberra (it's not their fault they got hosed over by Carney, Dugan and Fergusson), but that went on hold when Stuart entered the building. They really need to question why someone would choose to walk away from a million dollars rather than play for them. Knowing Stuart, the immediate response will be to blame anyone else, but what the club needs to do is take a good hard look at itself.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

I'm usually sympathetic to Canberra (it's not their fault they got hosed over by Carney, Dugan and Fergusson), but that went on hold when Stuart entered the building. They really need to question why someone would choose to walk away from a million dollars rather than play for them. Knowing Stuart, the immediate response will be to blame anyone else, but what the club needs to do is take a good hard look at itself.

Those damned refs have screwed poor downtrodden Ricky over yet again :argh:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Beau Ryan has retired: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-05/beau-ryan-forced-into-retirement-by-injuries/5504198

In a way, it's a shame - I've not followed him at Cronulla, but as a Tiger he always struck me as a thinking player. In the other hand, it's probably best he walks away while he can still walk.

expat
Aug 12, 2013

iajanus posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking it's more a management/coaching issue rather than location. People regularly sign agreements to play in terrible locations (North Queensland, Campbelltown) so I can't see Canberra being too bad. Whatever he was sold obviously just fell through in his eyes, and he realised he still had time to back the gently caress out of it. Good for him.

Townsville sounds like most footy players dream. I think their complete lack of success outside of two years is probably the bigger deterrent.

Also why does Penrith stack hookers? They're are starting to accumulate.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

expat posted:

Townsville sounds like most footy players dream. I think their complete lack of success outside of two years is probably the bigger deterrent.

Also why does Penrith stack hookers? They're are starting to accumulate.

It probably means they are going to release Kingston.
And they are are worried Segs isn't an 80 minute player.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Gorbash posted:

Beau Ryan has retired: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-05/beau-ryan-forced-into-retirement-by-injuries/5504198

In a way, it's a shame - I've not followed him at Cronulla, but as a Tiger he always struck me as a thinking player. In the other hand, it's probably best he walks away while he can still walk.

Always liked Beau at the Tigers; he's a smart footballer who put in a shitload of effort. He wasn't the most naturally talented player but he worked extremely hard to wring every last drop of potential out of himself and it showed in his commitment whenever he walked on the field. I was very upset when he had to leave but wished him the best, and I'm happy that he's gotten out with his health intact rather than trying to play on and possibly not walking away upright.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Seeing lots of rumours about the Roosters being in hot water for salary cap breaches; if we're lucky they'll lose their last premiership, but this being the NRL and not involving Melbourne if anything happens it'll be a small fine.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Seeing lots of rumours about the Roosters being in hot water for salary cap breaches; if we're lucky they'll lose their last premiership, but this being the NRL and not involving Melbourne if anything happens it'll be a small fine.

We've already established that Melbourne got off without any punishment (forfeiting the rewards of your cheating is not punishment, neither is not being allowed to compete with an illegally assembled squad) so I don't see how another team could get off lighter.

Re: Beau Ryan, I wish he was retiring from poo poo comedy sketches instead of footy. To be fair his man on the street bits are ok but the rest is borderline racist drivel.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

Always liked Beau at the Tigers; he's a smart footballer who put in a shitload of effort. He wasn't the most naturally talented player but he worked extremely hard to wring every last drop of potential out of himself and it showed in his commitment whenever he walked on the field.

My favourite memory of him was his chase of a long kick inside the opposition 10, but then not tackling the player with the ball - instead pleading with the referee to give a penalty for a surrender for ten or fifteen seconds until it became clear that rule wasn't getting enforced

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Gorbash posted:

My favourite memory of him was his chase of a long kick inside the opposition 10, but then not tackling the player with the ball - instead pleading with the referee to give a penalty for a surrender for ten or fifteen seconds until it became clear that rule wasn't getting enforced

Never understood why that rule is never enforced; seems so obvious what's happening. I guess there's no point enforcing it most of the time - if the player wants to stay down and they're losing then he's wasting his own time, and if they're winning all the defence has to do is touch him and he has to play the ball. Seems a situation which has no downside.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Kevin Kingston's announced his retirement at the end of the season today too.

Penrith weren't going to need him next year with Segeyaro and then signing Koroisau from Souths.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bit wet out at manly.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I missed you Cherry-Evans.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Wow. The Bulldogs just managed to pull Watmough's pants down, then his underpants, then smeered brown mud over his butt in one tackle. :gonk:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

One of these days a ref will gather up enough sack to sinbin Ennis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

One of these days a ref will gather up enough sack to sinbin Ennis.

Pretty sure there's a rule against drunk posting.

• Locked thread