Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I only have experience of the West, bit eating out in Canada is stunningly cheap compared to the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rodizio Rico tomorrow night for me. Very excited to try all the meats.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Consider the simplest things: taxation in the uk, salaries, etc. All mean higher prices.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

The_Doctor posted:

Rodizio Rico tomorrow night for me. Very excited to try all the meats.

Don't get distracted by the salad bar and sides.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Don't get distracted by the salad bar and sides.

That is the battle plan!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I went to Lemonia in Primrose Hill last weekend. I had heard a lot of hype about it, and we have a family friend who has known the owner for years, so it was a nice experience. Everything tasted good, the dolmades were some of the best I've ever had, and my lamb kleftiko was tender and delicious.

I was told beforehand it is not haute cuisine; it is simple traditional fare, but done right. Which, I have to admit, it is. But the prices are outrageous for the type of food it is. You pay around £15 for just your meat main with no sides - it's £3-6 per side dish, which are also plain things like roast potatoes with minimal seasoning.

I guess they can get away with their prices because the place is always full, but coming from Canada originally all I could think was that those price tags would be found on well-aged filet mignon dinners at upscale steak houses.

Basically, you hosed up. If you go to Lemonia, you order the Mezze for every hungry person on the table. They then bring you a truly ridiculous amount of food, like close to 20 dishes worth.

It's better value than most of the restaurants in London, and absolutely in Primrose Hill.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 23, 2014

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
As I said, that's what I wanted to do but no one else was interested - and as we were being treated by my mother's ex-fiancee (long story), who has ordered the same thing there for decades, I wasn't about to try to convince him. I will go back and do that with other people next time.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Went to "Flat Iron" in Soho yesterday. Absolutely fantastic. Great steak, Bearnaise sauce. Menu is simple, but it's clear that's so what they do cook is cooked well.

I recommend the roasted aubergine, too.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I just discovered that the terrifying adventure that was Enis's Cafe is now a Subway. This makes me sad, I once directed some tourists there when I worked at ITV Southbank and they asked where was good round there for a "dining experience". RIP horrible food run by a madman, hello new horrible food run by the monoculture.

"One wall is covered in tin foil, the coffee made me feel sick and the place smells like congealed grease. The owner yells at you and there are signs everywhere for 'ELIXIR' at 100 quid a bottle, which the owner refused to show me. The owner apparently once held some people hostage until the police came, and a fryup can cost anything from a fiver to 11 pounds, depending on what mood Enis is in. And it's properly vile."

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
STOP

INCREASE, ABILITY OF
MIND AND BODY

Glorious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

On the one hand, sad it closed but it sounds like a nightmare, and the review said the food wasn't that great. Do we give independent places a pass on food quality because they're not a chain and slightly off the wall?

On the plus side, it's not another Itsu/Wasabi/EAT/Pret a manger. A new Itsu has opened on Ludgate Hill. From its door I can see the next Itsu just along Fleet street.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Went to "Flat Iron" in Soho yesterday. Absolutely fantastic. Great steak, Bearnaise sauce. Menu is simple, but it's clear that's so what they do cook is cooked well.

I recommend the roasted aubergine, too.

I adore Flat Iron, so delicious and such good value.

Speaking of which, I did the express menu (£26 for three courses) at Hawksmoor Seven Dials on the weekend and holy poo poo I need to go back ASAP.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

I adore Flat Iron, so delicious and such good value.

Speaking of which, I did the express menu (£26 for three courses) at Hawksmoor Seven Dials on the weekend and holy poo poo I need to go back ASAP.

I went there the other week for the normal service (best steak ever, got a giant porterhouse cooked to perfection), but the express menu did catch my eye. I do like a good burger.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I had the five pork burger the other month at Seven Dials and it was so good.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Hey guys, I'll be coming over to London in a copule months for a long weekend. I'm currently living in North Africa, so I'm trying to eat some stuff I can't get over here (or stuff that is available here, but isn't very good). Any recommendations on the following types of food?

-Vietnamese
-Thai
-A decent burger that isn't five guys or shake shack
-A place to splurge? I was thinking of going somewhere nice for lunch- I've heard good things about St. John, but is there anywhere else you guys recommend? My maximum would probably be about £40.
-Is there any decent Mexican in London now? When I studied abroad there about four years ago, I wasn't super impressed with what was available.
-Anywhere else you guys recommend for under £15 a person?
-Speaking of Mexican, is there anywhere that sells Mexican groceries? Particularly looking for Valentina hot sauce, canned chipotle peppers, and a decent selection of dried chiles, although that might be a bit of a stretch.
-Can anyone recommend a decent SE Asian grocery?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

xcdude24 posted:

Hey guys, I'll be coming over to London in a copule months for a long weekend. I'm currently living in North Africa, so I'm trying to eat some stuff I can't get over here (or stuff that is available here, but isn't very good). Any recommendations on the following types of food?

-Vietnamese
-Thai
-A decent burger that isn't five guys or shake shack
-A place to splurge? I was thinking of going somewhere nice for lunch- I've heard good things about St. John, but is there anywhere else you guys recommend? My maximum would probably be about £40.
-Is there any decent Mexican in London now? When I studied abroad there about four years ago, I wasn't super impressed with what was available.
-Anywhere else you guys recommend for under £15 a person?
-Speaking of Mexican, is there anywhere that sells Mexican groceries? Particularly looking for Valentina hot sauce, canned chipotle peppers, and a decent selection of dried chiles, although that might be a bit of a stretch.
-Can anyone recommend a decent SE Asian grocery?

Vietnamese - I've heard good things about Viet Grill on Kingsland Road in Shoreditch. In googling the details, I learnt it's part of the 'pho mile', a whole mini-Vietnam town.

Thai - Not keen on Thai, so I couldn't help you there.

Burger - Ideally MeatLiquor or any its ilk (MeatMarket, MeatMission) are a good call.

Splurging - There's splurging and splurging. Personally I'd recommend Hawksmoor. They do a £26 a la carte menu that's pretty decent, but it's also the place that you can splurgeat. I've spent £150 on a meal for 2 with wine there before now. Avoid the Air Street branch, I think it lacks the character of other branches.

Cheap - There's all sorts of decent Chinese places in Chinatown that do dishes for under £10. Personally I like Hung's on Wardour Street. Or Misato a bit further down for Japanese (cheap and HUGE portions).

Mexican - Still not something we've got good at yet. There's Wahaca, which is about as good as you're going to get, vaguely authentic street food as you'd get in Mexico. Unless you want the American style of Mexican, with quesadillas and chimichangas (drool...) then you're SOL.

Asian groceries - Again, Chinatown has a few decent supermarkets on its main stretch, depending on what you're looking for.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Mestizo seems to be the only reasonable Mexican joint...

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Last time I was at Borough market, Mexgrocer had set up a stall and was selling some of their stuff. Probably easier/cheaper to just order online though from mexgrocer.co.uk

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The_Doctor posted:

Splurging - There's splurging and splurging. Personally I'd recommend Hawksmoor. They do a £26 a la carte menu that's pretty decent, but it's also the place that you can splurgeat. I've spent £150 on a meal for 2 with wine there before now. Avoid the Air Street branch, I think it lacks the character of other branches.
If you do this at Seven Dials, do it on a Monday - it's BYOB with a £5 corkage charge instead of £25. I brought a magnum.

The cocktails, while hyped, weren't exceptional.

But the food is fantastic.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 28, 2014

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Lupita is really, really great and it's owned by some famous Mexico City taquería (El Farolito if that means anything?) so I'm assuming it's fairly authentic.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Lupita is really, really great and it's owned by some famous Mexico City taquería (El Farolito if that means anything?) so I'm assuming it's fairly authentic.

This. I do like Wahaca but Lupita definitely comes out on top.

But I think London has a long way to go on Mexican, although we're definitely waking up to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ineptmule posted:

But I think London has a long way to go on Mexican, although we're definitely waking up to it.

I want to walk into a Mexican place one day and order a chimichanga like this:

(from Zippy's Burritos & Tacos, Baton Rouge, LA)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

xcdude24 posted:

Picante near Victoria has a small but good selection, including two types of Valentina in big and small sizes, and some dried chillis and ccanned chipotles.

They also do for my money the best Burrito in London too, one of the few places you can get a heart stopping Breakfast Burrito.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Alas, Picante near Victoria closed :(

I work around the corner and witnessed their 'Goodbye' post on Facebook.

They do still have their branch in Blackfriars open though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

Alas, Picante near Victoria closed :(

I work around the corner and witnessed their 'Goodbye' post on Facebook.

They do still have their branch in Blackfriars open though.

I leave the city for six months and everything goes to hell :(

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Unfortunately, their website says they're both closed.

http://www.picantemexicangrill.co.uk/hasta-luego.php

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Itsu will be rubbing their hands with glee already. :(

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I wasn't that impressed with Lupita. The corn chips with guacamole, crema and salsa (nachos to you and me) were excellent - the rest of the meal: bleh. £4 for literally 2tbs of refried beans in a tiny bowl? 3 puny little enchiladas at the bottom of a huge bowl of cheese sauce for £14? While I like the push button service thingy, the food is an actual joke. I really like Wahaca but if you want it authentic and excellent Mestizo is the place.

I haven't had really really good Thai in London, but I'd cross town to find it. Esarn Kheaw in Shepherds Bush is merely good.

The big Wholefoods in Kensington carries much of the cool chile co range: http://www.coolchile.co.uk/categories/view/chillies

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Eggs at Nude cafe on Soho Square is my new favourite quickish breakfast. It's not busy in the morning and you can get in and out in 20 mins easy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Eggs at Nude cafe on Soho Square is my new favourite quickish breakfast. It's not busy in the morning and you can get in and out in 20 mins easy.

It's a nice spot. I used to work on the other side of Oxford St from Soho Sq, so that was my stamping ground.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Desperately seeking quick/takeaway breakfast options in Bloomsbury area. My new job doesn't have an office kitchen :qq:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Desperately seeking quick/takeaway breakfast options in Bloomsbury area. My new job doesn't have an office kitchen :qq:

I'll ask the BF, he lives behind GOSH.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm in London until Thursday and I healf-heartedly tried to get some kind of restaurant itinerary going based on this thread, but today I visited Camden Lock Market, and I gotta be honest with you guys, I think I'm just going to go eat there every day. There's just no street food scene to speak of where I come from and I'm not sure I'm ready to go back and face that without having put the available facilities to their fullest use.

e: that being said, anywhere I can pick up some takoyaki?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Japan Centre on Piccadilly have a stand, and there are a couple floating around in Chinatown near the pagoda. If you were going to Chinatown though, I'd go to Jen Cafe and get some fresh dumplings, then hit up the skewers place next door. Hope you love corriander!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Went to the Foodie Festival at Kenwood House with the bf and had a fantastic time. Lots of alcohol, not actually that much in the way of food really. Unless you wanted sausages. Or jams/relishes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Japan Centre on Piccadilly have a stand
Would never have found it without this, thanks! They were everything I had hoped for :)

That whole store is pretty great. I picked up some onigiri molds, I guess I'm gonna start making onigiri for lunch, and also all meals.

e: what the hell, I picked up a premixed gin & tonic with cucumber at Waitrose, and it tastes exactly like nori that gets you drunk. You people are liquor wizards.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 3, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Went to the Foodie Festival at Kenwood House with the bf and had a fantastic time. Lots of alcohol, not actually that much in the way of food really. Unless you wanted sausages. Or jams/relishes.

I went with my gf and a friend and it was pretty good. She's a veggie so there was very little for her, but also we got lucky and got free tickets. I think if we'd bought our tickets I'd have felt a bit ripped off, having to pay for everything on top of the entry fee.

It was all worth it for the Gaucho BBQ though. My god.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I went with my gf and a friend and it was pretty good. She's a veggie so there was very little for her, but also we got lucky and got free tickets. I think if we'd bought our tickets I'd have felt a bit ripped off, having to pay for everything on top of the entry fee.

It was all worth it for the Gaucho BBQ though. My god.

We got the tickets on a 2 for 1 weeks before, but we found out later we could have got in free because the bf is NHS. :(

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

We got the tickets on a 2 for 1 weeks before, but we found out later we could have got in free because the bf is NHS. :(

2 for 1 is pretty good though!

There were a few other stalls I would have eaten at if I was enough of a fatty to have two meals. Or maybe I'd just have got another slab of Gaucho BBQ steak. What did you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ineptmule posted:

2 for 1 is pretty good though!

There were a few other stalls I would have eaten at if I was enough of a fatty to have two meals. Or maybe I'd just have got another slab of Gaucho BBQ steak. What did you have?

I really wanted to try the Gaucho BBQ, but the queue was always so long. :(

We had kangaroo and zebra burgers, hickory smoked honey sausage, braised pork cheeks from the little blue van, churros, and lots of alcohol. We're eyeing Feast at Battersea in August.