Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Croatoan posted:

So I'm looking for a recommendation. I thoroughly enjoyed Black Mirrors, Misfits and Utopia. Are there any other BBC type sci-fi that are any good?

Orphan black is kind of boring to me. I'm currently watching Being Human and it's so-so. Black Mirrors was AWESOME. Jekyll was pretty rad up until the last two episodes. Oh and I like Doctor Who but that's popcorn TV.

There's Ultraviolet if you want to watch Idris Elba shoot modern day vampires with an X-Files inspired feel. No idea how well it stands up, even though I have it on DVD somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

Not really. I mean, I can't think of any that are as good as Black Mirror or Misfits.

Lost Girl gets surprisingly good in season 2, if you want some cheap monster of the week thrills and The Best Character In A Genre Show, Ever.

Wait, they took Gary from Alphas and put him on a Canadian Syfy show?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

precision posted:

Not really. I mean, I can't think of any that are as good as Black Mirror or Misfits.

Lost Girl gets surprisingly good in season 2, if you want some cheap monster of the week thrills and The Best Character In A Genre Show, Ever.

I have been in the room when people were watching Lost Girl on many occasions, and your standard of "surprisingly good" must be rather loose.
Anyway, best character in a genre show is clearly Miles O'Brien. Or Scully. or Hannibal Lecter as played by Mads Mikkelsen. Or Laura Roslin/William Adama/Saul Tigh/Kara Thrace/Gaius Baltar. Or Bobby Singer. Or Anya/Spike/The Mayor. Or Rygel. Or Benjamin Linus.
ALL THESE AND YOU PICK A CHARACTER FROM loving LOST GIRL.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished up Eastbound and Down last night. I liked the resolution a lot and they totally got me with that bait and switch at the end. I though it was cool that they showed Kenny's progression into a person who can appreciate things like family and friends without fundamentally changing his character. He's still a racist, idiotic rear end in a top hat but just one that's capable of treating the people that care about him well. It's far too easy to decide that a character with personality flaws needs to completely change into something completely different in order to have some sort of redemption.

Also, Kenny and Stevie are loving adorable and deserve to be up there with the best tv bromances.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 4, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Junkenstein posted:

There's Ultraviolet if you want to watch Idris Elba shoot modern day vampires with an X-Files inspired feel. No idea how well it stands up, even though I have it on DVD somewhere.

Is this something unrelated to the lovely movie from last decade?

Spatula City posted:

I have been in the room when people were watching Lost Girl on many occasions, and your standard of "surprisingly good" must be rather loose.
Anyway, best character in a genre show is clearly Miles O'Brien. Or Scully. or Hannibal Lecter as played by Mads Mikkelsen. Or Laura Roslin/William Adama/Saul Tigh/Kara Thrace/Gaius Baltar. Or Bobby Singer. Or Anya/Spike/The Mayor. Or Rygel. Or Benjamin Linus.

To be fair, you yourself nominated characters from Buffy.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I recently finished The Middleman. It's a shame that didn't last.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Deadpool posted:

Wait, they took Gary from Alphas and put him on a Canadian Syfy show?

Gary :(

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Junkenstein posted:

Ultraviolet all the way. Aeon Flux too, but MTV productions are so obvious.. keep that in mind so you can suspend your disbelief of MTV being involved with anything good.

Of all that is holy I laughed so hard I pulled an intercostal rib muscle at this one;

In Nepal, a bag of feathers is put by one's deathbed so the soul can fly to the next life. Sadly, emu, such a bag would be of no use to you.

I hear it... I hear it in his voice, I see the glass of wine... the fish aspic.... the sad tear rolling down a cheek at the mention of the emu.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

raditts posted:

Is this something unrelated to the lovely movie from last decade?

You have no conception of the disappointment that followed the realisation that the film was unrelated to the TV series. TV Ultraviolet is a classic of 90's scifi that never really got the recognition it deserved.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's depressingly easy to make nerds mad. :(

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! God.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spatula City posted:

I'm not going to go one by one but a few of your choices there are wronger than his.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I'm about six episodes into Deadwood, and I was wondering if anyone at FX has ever acknowledged that their network is essentially the Deadwood alumni association? The overlap is ridiculous.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Croatoan posted:

So I'm looking for a recommendation. I thoroughly enjoyed Black Mirrors, Misfits and Utopia. Are there any other BBC type sci-fi that are any good?

Orphan black is kind of boring to me. I'm currently watching Being Human and it's so-so. Black Mirrors was AWESOME. Jekyll was pretty rad up until the last two episodes. Oh and I like Doctor Who but that's popcorn TV.

Inside No. 9

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eat poo poo, Luigi-Mariokart8-likers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKZ7BJZCdNA

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That just makes it better and funnier.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I don't know how to feel about Inside No. 9. The first two were fantastic, the second one in particular, but the following ones just seemed dark, as opposed to dark comedy. Not as good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JohnSherman posted:

I'm about six episodes into Deadwood, and I was wondering if anyone at FX has ever acknowledged that their network is essentially the Deadwood alumni association? The overlap is ridiculous.

Graham Yost has said that a lot of the time on Justified, Tim Olyphant will just get in one of his friends from Deadwood to play a role. I think it's been like 4 or 5 they've had on there now. Still no McShane though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm watching the pilot of Halt And Catch Fire. It's really strange how they've actually done a pretty good job on making everything and everyone look straight out of the 80s EXCEPT for Lee Pace who just looks 2000s as gently caress

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DominoDancing posted:

I'm watching the pilot of Halt And Catch Fire. It's really strange how they've actually done a pretty good job on making everything and everyone look straight out of the 80s EXCEPT for Lee Pace who just looks 2000s as gently caress

Which guy was that, I saw the pilot a week or so back and nothing seemed that out of place.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

IRQ posted:

Which guy was that, I saw the pilot a week or so back and nothing seemed that out of place.

The main character.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Oh this is absolutely perfect. I can hear the philosophical mumblings while reading it!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

IRQ posted:

As Gonz said, the non-engineer main character. And I don't mean that I'd want him to be a visual near-cliche like his engineer counterpart (huge glasses, thick beard). I just feel that, for example, the cuts and and colors suits are all wrong. Then again, I can't really say that I know particularly much about fashion, it's more of a gut reaction. I'd really like to see Tom and Lorenzo do a post about this show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DominoDancing posted:

As Gonz said, the non-engineer main character. And I don't mean that I'd want him to be a visual near-cliche like his engineer counterpart (huge glasses, thick beard). I just feel that, for example, the cuts and and colors suits are all wrong. Then again, I can't really say that I know particularly much about fashion, it's more of a gut reaction. I'd really like to see Tom and Lorenzo do a post about this show.

That's way more detail than I would notice, so he could be. To me he was the boneitis 80s guy from Futurama, which fit the character for me I guess. Cuts and colors of suits are a thing I would literally never notice.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 5, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Fargo is so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I played some Mario Kart 8 because my girlfriend's parents own literally every game system (and I honestly don't even know why and am afraid to ask). Played Luigi, came in first every time. :smugdog:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

The piemaker from Pushing Daisies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got a few episodes behind on Fargo and am just now catching up.

While the first five episodes are merely "loving brilliant", the back half makes that leap into "goddamn transcendent" territory. Holy fuckballs. I don't even know how something this good got made, let alone by people who have little prior history of being amazing (unless the Coens secretly wrote and directed the whole thing, or had a much bigger role than previously thought).

I mean, gently caress.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

While the first five episodes are merely "loving brilliant", the back half makes that leap into "goddamn transcendent" territory. Holy fuckballs. I don't even know how something this good got made, let alone by people who have little prior history of being amazing (unless the Coens secretly wrote and directed the whole thing, or had a much bigger role than previously thought).

I mean, gently caress.

Here's something to remember: Noah Hawley's last two shows were The Unusuals and My Generation, and he got his start on Bones. Let that sink in a moment.

Good. Now, I think "Buridan's rear end" may be one of the darkest episodes of television ever produced -- even within the context of the rest of the series -- and in a world where "Ozymandias" was merely the name of a king and the title of a poem it'd be the best of the year. If you are not watching this show you are blowing it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zoux posted:

Eat poo poo, Luigi-Mariokart8-likers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKZ7BJZCdNA
This is exactly the type of poo poo news outlets should be reporting on.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Fargo seriously loving owns. I'm surprised so few people are watching it (at least that I know irl).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Andy Dick on Riot was either a trainwreck or transcendent performance art...it was amazingly awful.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DivisionPost posted:

Here's something to remember: Noah Hawley's last two shows were The Unusuals and My Generation, and he got his start on Bones. Let that sink in a moment.

Good. Now, I think "Buridan's rear end" may be one of the darkest episodes of television ever produced -- even within the context of the rest of the series -- and in a world where "Ozymandias" was merely the name of a king and the title of a poem it'd be the best of the year. If you are not watching this show you are blowing it.

He's also actually a pretty good novelist and I think that comes across when he's the sole writer. It feels like it's part of the same voice. You get the same thing with True Detective, it felt authoritive.

On that note I'm excited by the second seasons of both shows. Noah Hawley kind of gets it easier because the dark/funny tone is easier to maintain, Nic Polizitto (Who's name I've just mangled) has a harder time because his dialogue seemed so specific to those characters. I am interested to see where he goes with having three leads though. It's a shame that he can't get the same actors back just playing different roles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Fargo seriously loving owns. I'm surprised so few people are watching it (at least that I know irl).
It's on FX and everyone thinks it's a remake of the movie.

GG marketing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, Fargo's amazing. I can't believe True Detective set the movie-quality-one-season-long-story bar so high and then got beaten so soon after.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, Fargo's amazing. I can't believe True Detective set the movie-quality-one-season-long-story bar so high and then got beaten so soon after.
And yet, everyone lauds True Detective while nobody knows about Fargo. Stupid media blogosphere :smith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

I mean, gently caress.

I think I'm the only person on the planet that didn't like the movie Fargo although I love pretty much every other Coen Bros. movie, will that have any bearing on how much I like the TV series?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Depends on why you didn't like Fargo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Depends on why you didn't like Fargo.

I dunno, I haven't seen it in years now but what sticks with me the most is that it didn't seem to have a very engaging plot and the people yelling "YAAAAAAAAH" at each other in the exaggerated midwestern accents was really grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you've been to the area, the accents aren't at all exaggerated.

• Locked thread