Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
No, I am sorry. I too have been marginalized for years, either interning or being paid very little in a creative field. I am fortunate enough to be at the point in my career where I would require business cards, yet I have no concept of value when it comes to things... things like business cards. How much would be fair for something like this?

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

No, I am sorry. I have no concept of value when it comes to things like business cards. How much would be fair for something like this?

Depends on the quality you're looking for, really. I wouldn't be surprised if you get bites for $20, but it's probably going to suck and/or you'll be taking advantage of students who don't know any better and just need the money.

A low priced freelance designer would be at least $40/hr. Coming up with a couple design directions, mocking them up for you, producing your chosen direction and sending it to a printer would probably be in the 2-10 hour range depending on how quick they are and how difficult of a client you are. ;)

Quality printing for business cards (eg. not a Kinkos job) on reasonably sturdy stock will be in the $500+ range.

e: This is of course all assuming you want something that's completely customized and of professional quality. If you don't care enough to spend this much on business cards and if you don't want to put in at least minimal effort with a talented designer, you really should just use a service like Moo.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2014

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've looked at MOO and there are some nice designs, sterile, though. I'd basically just want my name and a few details written in pretty writing and then the card to be hosed with a little. The design could be done in the standard dimensions and sent to me to worry about printing. I could pay 40 bucks, if that's less insulting.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
$500+ for printing :monocle:

How many cards are you talking kedo? The cheapest stock I print on at 450gsm un-laminated, I charge £60 for 500x. My highest quality stocks (Conqueror, Rives) I charge £160 for 500x. Excluding artwork, does that seem crazy low? Obviously foil blocking, letterpress, spot UV etc are added on as extra.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Not sure if this is the right spot but I have something I want cross stitched with a cursivey font. I have no idea where to commission such a thing. Any ideas?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

$500+ for printing :monocle:

How many cards are you talking kedo? The cheapest stock I print on at 450gsm un-laminated, I charge £60 for 500x. My highest quality stocks (Conqueror, Rives) I charge £160 for 500x. Excluding artwork, does that seem crazy low? Obviously foil blocking, letterpress, spot UV etc are added on as extra.

Just pulled up a recent estimate from one of our favorite printers for 500 cards. We almost always do spot color offset jobs, so that tends to add to the price I believe. This paper was either a Cougar or a Mohawk.

quote:

each of one 2/1 [client name] Business Card, 3.5 x 2 Ultra White 130# Superfine Cover Smooth, printed
color front in 7625 ink, 2 colors back in 7625, BLACK ink

$491

£160 for 500 is about what I'd expect for a quality digital job on some nice stock.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Ahh okay if it's litho offset that makes sense, didn't even think of that since it's definitely an expensive process to choose for 500 cards!

What's funny is that my prices undercut local competition by a ludicrous amount already even on my luxury stocks. Thought I might be going too low even though I've got really nice margins as is.

Sigurd
Oct 5, 2010
I am looking to hire an artist to create the primary logo for a training program I'm developing. In a nutshell, the program I'm developing trains business, law enforcement and military analysts in a methodology that identifies the nature of the analytic problem and which techniques are most appropriate. I haven't decided if I want the logo to symbolic or more literal - I need some help.

Ideally, I would like an artist with an understanding of the type of work that business and/or military analysts do.

Please contact me at gstan520@gmail or with a private message if you are interested in bidding on this project.

Mr. Robot
Nov 1, 2006
BEEP BOOP BOO BEEP
*EDIT*

Going through responses. If you contacted me, you'll get an E-mail regardless.

Mr. Robot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 22, 2014

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Hopefully this is the right spot for this.

Im looking for a few quick photoshops of gradients. It's something I'm assuming (though let me know if I'm wrong) shouldn't take very long for someone in the know, so I'll offer a forums upgrade of choice, or gift you a cheap game on steam in return. Or :10bux: if you wanna be boring.

I've just finished working my way through this lighting tutorial for my game, and am ready to replace my awful stand-in gradients with something higher quality.

First couple should be easy peasy. I'm after two images like so:

They need to be 512x512 and entirely solid black with the gradient in the alpha channel only. The edge of the gradient at fully opaque should buffer the edges of the image perfectly. I'd like each image with a different drop off rate, so one like above with a linear gradient edge to center, but also one where some area of the middle is fully transparent, and the drop-off starts a little closer to the edges instead of from the very center.

Aaand one more that's a little harder.

I'd like this, again in 512x512 and entire image in all solid black, with the gradient in the alpha channel only. Ignore the little solid block 1/4 the way down the middle, and the wierd thing going on down the right edge. The above image appears to fall off from black to transparent quickly, but I need it to blend all the way across in a linear manner like so:

Thanks!

Edit: in png format please!

Numeron fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 1, 2014

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I'm looking for an artist/layout person for a short (two-page) game that's a satire of Latin American politics (in the vein of Tropico). If this sounds like something you'd like to do, please PM me.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
A kind goon has come to my rescue and I have what I need, thanks!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I need some landscape backgrounds for a browser game. We did a successful Kickstarter, here is the game website: http://www.horseworldonline.net/ It is a horse breeding game.

The backgrounds will be used for pages like this one http://www.horseworldonline.net/herd.php?a=12&start=0
Here is a video of the farm view that uses the same background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIE8gBi7crU

The site isn't done but the game is very near playable. We need to replace all of the programmer art now. The horse artwork is mostly done and is generated by the game so don't worry, we aren't going to ask for someone to draw 10,000 horses. :)

Please PM if interested. Funds have been set aside from the Kickstarter for artwork.

Edit: Here is a better video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-0o8xOBqA
We will also need the barns, trees, etc.

TomR fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 2, 2014

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I am an illustrator and designer, specialized in T-shirt and poster design, cartooning and custom typeface design. Photoshop expert. I do commission work, and can make you pretty much any type of illustration or design required - web banners, logos, characters, photo manipulation, avatars, apparel design, lettering.

Some examples of my work:

My Behance portfolio.

My brand's mini web page, includes links to my DesignByHumans, Society6, and Redbubble shops.

I have developed my own style, but I can create illustrations or designs in whatever style you require.

You can PM me, send an email via orebster at gmail, or contact me via my Facebook fan page. I'll check up on this thread, too.

I am also an experienced content and copy writer and accept inquiries.

So, if you're in need of a creative professional, please contact me.

Rock Epidemic
Mar 17, 2001

Rock Epidemic fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 20, 2020

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Checking in as I've had some free time recently so can fit in some small web & print projects.

Brand & web developer by trade, basically I develop business ideas into brands with a focus on digital content - however I usually only take on 1-2 clients at a time since the projects are pretty large.

In between proofs & testing though I have time to fit in small scale websites & print work.

Site is here for more info & contact details.

Just finishing up current project for launch so have time for something bigger before couple contracts kicking off at the end of the month.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey guys, I recently got put in charge of the comics section of this pop culture website called WhatCulture! and I've been asked to seek out new freelance writers. I'm looking for people who know comics (I'm looking at you, Batman's Shameful Secret folk), can come up with article ideas and then write them well. Oh yeah and it pays, obvs.

Right now the deal is you get either £0.40 per 1000 views of an article (that's a little under a dollar, I think?) or, if you pitch a good enough idea to an editor, you can arrange a flat fee of £25 (a little over $40) per article. We've writers who make a good £100+/$170+ a month like this.

They're listicle-type things - if you wanna see the sort of stuff the site's looking for, give the section a perusal. Then drop me a PM or email tom.baker@whatculture.co.uk if you're interested!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

tenniseveryone posted:

Hey guys, I recently got put in charge of the comics section of this pop culture website called WhatCulture! and I've been asked to seek out new freelance writers. I'm looking for people who know comics (I'm looking at you, Batman's Shameful Secret folk), can come up with article ideas and then write them well. Oh yeah and it pays, obvs.

Right now the deal is you get either £0.40 per 1000 views of an article (that's a little under a dollar, I think?) or, if you pitch a good enough idea to an editor, you can arrange a flat fee of £25 (a little over $40) per article. We've writers who make a good £100+/$170+ a month like this.

They're listicle-type things - if you wanna see the sort of stuff the site's looking for, give the section a perusal. Then drop me a PM or email tom.baker@whatculture.co.uk if you're interested!

Is this offer only open to comic book nerds? Me and a few friends are disillusioned with cracked and are looking for a place to dump listicles about futurism and general mad science. The "other" subcategory could accommodate us.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 16, 2014

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

tenniseveryone posted:

I'm very interested in this. You can scroll back a couple of posts and see samples of my work as a comic book nerd illustrator. Also, you've got mail, from me, regarding this.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Heya!
Me and fellow goon KiddieGrinder are creating a multiplayer digital board game.
The plan is to pitch it on Kickstarter or such after a nice trailer and demo has been created.
The demo is getting pretty close to completion, but we do need some extra manpower after any potential investments to make sure the game does not end up looking like something drawn by a kindergartener.
As most of you know, looking for investments without some kind of budget is pretty hard.
Therefore, if you or any of your friends are working within the fields below, we would greatly appreciate if you would contact us using the information at the bottom of the post.

3D Character artist/sculptor.

Please do excuse the quality of this one, it was created using Fuse, which really did not give us too many options.
However, it does showcase most of the style we are looking to create, a monochrome character with some detail on a square base. Possible fur or other details for clothing might be desirable at a later point.
The exception would be that this character looks a little bit too realistic, we would prefer a more exaggerated stylized look. This picture is probably a better example of what we are looking for:

Our question to you artists out there is: How much would you charge to create a character like this? (Or how many hours would it approximately take you, if you charge hourly?)

2D Concept artist. (If you are able to create a fancy GUI as well that would be lovely.)
Simply enough, someone who is good enough at drawing to create some concepts for the aforementioned 3D artist.
The two things we consider extra valuable for this position would be if your able to create a GUI and also if you are able to draw concepts for map layouts, enemy positions, etc.
Same question here: How much do you charge for a concept/hourly?

If you find this interesting, got a question or just generally feel like you want to tell me how much of a bad person I am, send me a PM or e-mail me:
dancingpenguinsa@gmail.com
Please do include your portfolio and any potential pricing estimation you might have.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
EDIT: Position's now filled, thanks!

Hey there, goons!

I'm looking for someone versed in After Effects (though other non-linear video software may also be acceptable) to edit together a 60-second trailer for a video game in production. The game is a visual novel, (adventure-game-style, largely text and art) so rather than exhibit gameplay footage, the editor would combine art assets with effects set to music, like you would for a book trailer or kinetic typography video. All game art and the 60-second trailer song will be provided for you. I'm looking to have this done before mid-August, when the project is set to go to kickstarter. (The trailer would be part of the kickstarter video.)

Compensation would be $50-$100 depending on the complexity of the trailer/time commitment.

Info for the game, "Lovely Little Thieves," can be seen here. E-mail me at pangodangogames@gmail.com with an example or two of your past video editing work for inquiries.

Thanks! :)

Jay O fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jay O posted:

Hey there, goons!

I'm looking for someone versed in After Effects (though other non-linear video software may also be acceptable) to edit together a 60-second trailer for a video game in production. The game is a visual novel, (adventure-game-style, largely text and art) so rather than exhibit gameplay footage, the editor would combine art assets with effects set to music, like you would for a book trailer or kinetic typography video. All game art and the 60-second trailer song will be provided for you. I'm looking to have this done before mid-August, when the project is set to go to kickstarter. (The trailer would be part of the kickstarter video.)

Compensation would be $50-$100 depending on the complexity of the trailer/time commitment.

Info for the game, "Lovely Little Thieves," can be seen here. E-mail me at pangodangogames@gmail.com with an example or two of your past video editing work for inquiries.

Thanks! :)

Hey there! This may not be obvious to you, but this is WAY more than $100 worth of work. $100 is quasi-reasonable for a logo design from an entry-level graphic artist - an animated short is quite a bit more involved than that, even given existing assets.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Chitin posted:

Hey there! This may not be obvious to you, but this is WAY more than $100 worth of work. $100 is quasi-reasonable for a logo design from an entry-level graphic artist - an animated short is quite a bit more involved than that, even given existing assets.

No, it's not an animation project. Much simpler than that.

I've worked in video editing for a long time, so I do at least know the limitations of what I'm asking for. If you've seen amateur typography videos like this one, or MMVs like this one, that would be more the type of work I'm asking for. (Even then, the trailer would be much simpler than the effects work in either of those videos.) I could do it myself and will if I'm unable to find someone else, but I wanted to devote my time to coding and testing the demo instead.

I realize that the budget is a little low, too low for someone who say, does professional typography or book trailers, but that's why I posted it up front. I'm aware of the average pay scale for amateurs, if we're offered pay at all, and $100 for a fairly simple 60-second edit is not unreasonable at all.

EDIT: And hey, position's been filled now! Awesome.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 21, 2014

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Just the TIME it takes to do poo poo like that is enough to price it way higher than 100$ no matter how amateur you might be.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ravenkult posted:

Just the TIME it takes to do poo poo like that is enough to price it way higher than 100$ no matter how amateur you might be.

Lack of collective bargaining and simple supply and demand allows low wages. This is why Cracked works your rear end off and then pays you poo poo. Either you see this as exploitation or you see it as simple economic reality that builds up your personal portfolio. Take this in mind and cut Jay O a break.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sithsaber posted:

Lack of collective bargaining and simple supply and demand allows low wages. This is why Cracked works your rear end off and then pays you poo poo. Either you see this as exploitation or you see it as simple economic reality that builds up your personal portfolio. Take this in mind and cut Jay O a break.

Well you obviously view it as exploitation considering your last posts.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

mutata posted:

Well you obviously view it as exploitation considering your last posts.

Capitalism is organized exploitation; this fact cannot be escaped.

I don't get why goons don't set up collectives and crowdfund certain projects while ensuring cheap but steady pay to those they think are talented.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't get why you can't just accept that writing for Cracked is payment enough in itself. :colbert:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

mutata posted:

I don't get why you can't just accept that writing for Cracked is payment enough in itself. :colbert:

Cracked is pretentious clickbait. When doing a podcast about the propaganda behind "A Christmas Carol" they omitted talking about Tiny Tim, who was put in the story just to annihilate their cynic point of view.
Cracked is run by complacent post-yuppies and is in the thrall of listicle minutiae.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 21, 2014

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sithsaber posted:

I got this hole needs digging, it'd be perfect for an amateur hole digger like you! I can only pay 10 bucks though, but there might be more work in the future!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I just liked it for Popsicle Pete.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ravenkult posted:

I got this hole needs digging, it'd be perfect for an amateur hole digger like you! I can only pay 10 bucks though, but there might be more work in the future!

The middle class bourgeoisie have different expectations than the poor or the third world. In the age of internet, the kid from Shanghai is at an advantage. At least he isn't asking you to be an unpaid intern.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 21, 2014

i need to punch
Aug 27, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just finished editing and animating a Kickstarter project for a friend's company. I went with basically just Youtube self-taught knowledge and did my best. It was the first time I've ever done something like that and it was a ton of fun. The problem is I barely have anything to put together a reel to try and find other opportunities. If anyone is looking for a novice video editor/animator on the cheap, please PM me. I'm competent in After Effects and Premiere, and would love the opportunity to build a portfolio.

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this post. Would this be something better for SA-Mart?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I'm looking for somebody to do some Minecraft art for my classroom
I have a SAMart thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654271

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I am designing a rulebook for a competitive strategy game called WIZARD BATTLE. Game design is done but I still need art! Please PM me a sample of your art (I am most interested in black & white fantasy art). You don't have to send something you made just for this, only something you made in the past that you think shows off your abilities. You can even just link me to your entire art blog if you like. If I like your art and think it will fit my product, we can then discuss the sort of work I'd like you to do and what you'd like to be paid.

If you don't have PMs, quote this post with your email. Thanks.

NOTICE: I am also looking for a really colorful, action-filled cover for my Wizard Battle book. If you have a good example of an actiony, colored work involving multiple actors, that's a plus.

Complete

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 30, 2014

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jon Joe posted:

I am designing a rulebook for a competitive strategy game called WIZARD BATTLE. Game design is done but I still need art! Please PM me a sample of your art (I am most interested in black & white fantasy art). You don't have to send something you made just for this, only something you made in the past that you think shows off your abilities. You can even just link me to your entire art blog if you like. If I like your art and think it will fit my product, we can then discuss the sort of work I'd like you to do and what you'd like to be paid.

If you don't have PMs, quote this post with your email. Thanks.

NOTICE: I am also looking for a really colorful, action-filled cover for my Wizard Battle book. If you have a good example of an actiony, colored work involving multiple actors, that's a plus.

sooztacular at gmail

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Puppy Time posted:

sooztacular at gmail

I've commissioned some Hobgoblins and Boggards from sooz for a project I've been working on for a while, and have been very happy with her work :)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

I've commissioned some Hobgoblins and Boggards from sooz for a project I've been working on for a while, and have been very happy with her work :)

Aww, thanks! That was a really fun project. :D

Unmature
May 9, 2008
edit

Unmature fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Are you going to be paying for the pages or is this one of those "it'll look good on your resume" dealies?