Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
So I went to Fox Bros a few weekends again, waited about 40 or 50 minutes for a table in the heat outside, then found the food underwhelming and the meat dry. I told my friend who was ever so excited, I was like, "man I wish I was at Sonny's right now." I guess I'll never be Atlanta food hip.

Of course, my friend moved from here in John's Creek over to Midtown and now spends all day talking about different places he ate at, like a hipster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
moved in to our cabbagetown digs, super happy/exhausted.

no cooking supplies unpacked yet, so lots of eating out.

<ahem> sauntered </ahem> over to cook-out after drinking a little too much one weekend late night evening - enjoyed the 30 minute drive through wait/lockin. ordered a few extra items just to try a variety, food was alright - nothing worth raving about really. just some slightly above average fast food. also had a shake because of poor decision making and the gigantic proportion of their menu it occupied. tasted like a shake. not to say it didn't all hit the spot.

checked out homegrown - it was alright, but I was a little disappointed given all the positive things I've heard about it. I guess I was expecting like, organic-y bullshit fancy brunch given the name and hype, but what I got was basically eggs off a flattop, instant grits, and sysco sausage patties. right on par for diner food, and I'll definitely be back because it's right around the corner from our new place - but for all the folks I've heard say things like 'man homegrown is amazing' and the 30 minute wait at 1:30 on a saturday, I was a little surprised.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

did you get the comfy chicken? that's where it's at, imo

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Got to give Wrecking Bar a try tonight while I was in L5P for Amber Nash's show at Dad's Garage. The Jemmy Stout was really good, the beer cheese soup was pretty much perfect (could have used a couple more slices of that delicious pumpernickel bread, though; one just wasn't enough), and the BBQ sandwich was very tasty (though I had to take a knife and fork to it as the bottom bun had disintegrated under all that juicy BBQ pork). Fries were also excellent. Wish I'd had time to give the dessert menu a try, but there's always next time. Definitely hitting them up again if I can ever get another weekend off work to go catch a show.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I dig Wrecking Bar. I ate there last weekend and had an excellent cheese plate and some delicious venison tartar. The chef there is a really nice guy.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
DBA is easily the worst intown BBQ place unless they've improved tons since I was there last. I went there once or twice a few years ago. Fox Bro's is probably the best but can be inconsistent. I went there on a first date once and got some crappy meat and was thinking about the situation when one of the owners came by and fixed it for me. So you know if the owners aren't there you might have to say something. Even though they are supposed to be a Texas BBQ place I never found the beef all that great for the price. I did have beef tips there once that were great.

I should say I haven't been there since a little before it burned down or whatever but I used to go a lot.

Praise Kelly's! That place is the best 'BBQ' place in the state! So much food for $6. Haven't found anything like it here.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Belasarius posted:

Even though they are supposed to be a Texas BBQ place I never found the beef all that great for the price.

Nothing about that place is Texas BBQ.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

venutolo posted:

Nothing about that place is Texas BBQ.

The owners blurb poo poo is that they "grew up in Texas" and the poo poo on the walls is mostly Texan. Their new place is called "Big Tex" I think it is fair to say they are "supposed to be" a Texas BBQ place.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Belasarius posted:

The owners blurb poo poo is that they "grew up in Texas" and the poo poo on the walls is mostly Texan. Their new place is called "Big Tex" I think it is fair to say they are "supposed to be" a Texas BBQ place.

Yes, I know. I'm not disagreeing the fact that they claim Texas BBQ, just disagreeing with that claim. They're from outside of Houston (where I'm from). They started barbecue-ing after leaving Texas and arriving in Georgia, so they probably have had little to no influence from actual Texas BBQ, or more specifically based on where they and I are from, East Texas BBQ. While they may have a bunch of Texas stuff and be from Texas, what they produce does not adhere to any standards or customs of Texas BBQ, and especially that of the region we're from. In particular, the sauce they serve is nothing like any Texas sauce.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable (I rather like Fox Bros) or anything like that, but any claim that theirs is Texas style BBQ is ludicrous. I think they're very representative of the style of BBQ served in Atlanta and the surrounding region, in that it isn't Texas/Memphis/KC/NC/etc style BBQ and typically has very sweet sauces.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jooky posted:

did you get the comfy chicken? that's where it's at, imo

I think so actually! I got the chicken breast burger with cheese and bacon and lettuce and tomatoes. I remember drunkenly thinking - hey, this is actually sort of healthy for fast food.

venutolo posted:

Yes, I know. I'm not disagreeing the fact that they claim Texas BBQ, just disagreeing with that claim. They're from outside of Houston (where I'm from). They started barbecue-ing after leaving Texas and arriving in Georgia, so they probably have had little to no influence from actual Texas BBQ, or more specifically based on where they and I are from, East Texas BBQ. While they may have a bunch of Texas stuff and be from Texas, what they produce does not adhere to any standards or customs of Texas BBQ, and especially that of the region we're from. In particular, the sauce they serve is nothing like any Texas sauce.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable (I rather like Fox Bros) or anything like that, but any claim that theirs is Texas style BBQ is ludicrous. I think they're very representative of the style of BBQ served in Atlanta and the surrounding region, in that it isn't Texas/Memphis/KC/NC/etc style BBQ and typically has very sweet sauces.

speak the truth brother. I didn't know you were from TX - I was actually born in Houston myself. Moved to GA when I was like 5 though, so doesn't count for much I guess. got it running in my blood though. I've had some stellar brisket and sausage in lockhart and austin. I think in the end though, my heartstrings get pulled by carolina BBQ the most - crusty fatty salty pork and chicken legs with intense vinegar or mustard sauces is where it's at for me.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I think so actually! I got the chicken breast burger with cheese and bacon and lettuce and tomatoes. I remember drunkenly thinking - hey, this is actually sort of healthy for fast food.

Comfy chicken is the fried chicken, biscuits, and gravy at Homegrown. I dig that dish, but I've had versions of it that I enjoyed more. And I agree that Homegrown isn't something amazing, but solid, enjoyable diner food.

mindphlux posted:

speak the truth brother. I didn't know you were from TX - I was actually born in Houston myself. Moved to GA when I was like 5 though, so doesn't count for much I guess. got it running in my blood though. I've had some stellar brisket and sausage in lockhart and austin. I think in the end though, my heartstrings get pulled by carolina BBQ the most - crusty fatty salty pork and chicken legs with intense vinegar or mustard sauces is where it's at for me.

I'm "from" either Philadelphia suburbs or Houston. I lived in Houston prior to Atlanta, my mother still lives there, and I consider it "home". I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Texans or anything like that, but I do love Texas BBQ and Fox Bros claiming Texas BBQ is a huge pet peeve for me. The BBQ around Austin is super good, and I mostly assume that when someone says Texas BBQ, they mean that Central Texas style.

Brisket here is almost universally terrible in comparison to even the most average brisket I've had in Texas, to the point that I don't ever order brisket here and just binge on it when I head home. The only place I'll order brisket is Heirloom (Cody, the chef, has some Houston roots).

Coincidentally, I also most enjoy the various Carolina BBQ styles as they're centered on pulled pork and I really enjoy that with vinegar/pepper sauces of the Eastern Carolinas. When I make a sauce, the recipe I like making most is a Western South Carolina style sauce.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Are there any halfway decent places to get lunch at the airport or is it mostly garbage?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Wachepti posted:

Are there any halfway decent places to get lunch at the airport or is it mostly garbage?

One Flew South

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Wow, I'm glad I asked. Thanks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There's also a Five Guys' on the C concourse :dance:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

There's also a Five Guys' on the C concourse :dance:

I will destroy you.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Don't forget The Varsity in both C and F!

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I agree with what you said.

Heirloom is my favorite place that is still around but I don't make it over there much. Pig N Chik on Roswell Rd has a good mustard sauce and is one of the most solid places imo. They have coupons sometimes. I've probably eaten there more than any other BBQ place but it is near where I used to work. Now I live near there, but I never go because I have my own food.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Wachepti posted:

There's a Varasano's at the airport now, too

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Lots of terrible BBQ opinions itt. Fox Bros, Community Q, Daddy Dz and Heirloom are all much better than anything I've had just about anywhere that wasn't a backyard smoker or fire pit and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Fatt Matt's is good but about the same level as the local BBQ shop in any southern city. I can't fathom how anyone could prefer Sonny's to any of those places unless you just needed to get 8000 calories of meat in your stomach for $15.

I do wish we had a better vinegar place, though.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Breakfast All Day posted:

Fox Bros, Community Q, Daddy Dz and Heirloom are all much better than anything I've had just about anywhere that wasn't a backyard smoker or fire pit and each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I think Heirloom and Community Q are the best in the city, with Fox Bros on the next level down. I think Daddy D'z is gross.

Apropos of the recent mention of Texas BBQ, here's some Central Texas brisket (from Franklin Barbecue in Austin):

venutolo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 4, 2014

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Have you guys tried Waffle House? Best restaurant in Atlanta. 5 stars all the way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Croatoan posted:

Have you guys tried Waffle House? Best restaurant in Atlanta. 5 stars all the way.

Don't even joke. The nearest Waffle House to me is a three hour drive away. Yes it's poo poo, but it's the kind of poo poo you miss.

venutolo posted:

I think Heirloom and Community Q are the best in the city, with Fox Bros on the next level down. I think Daddy D'z is gross.

Apropos of the recent mention of Texas BBQ, here's some Central Texas brisket (from Franklin Barbecue in Austin):

Daddy D'z is good for rib tips and that's about it.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I guess that's why they are opening one in downtown Decatur. That's the rumor anyway

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

In Austin for the week - I know where I'm going now.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

In Austin for the week - I know where I'm going now.

Good luck. Arrive early.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Jesus gently caress.

quote:

It definitely fluctuates. Tuesday and Wednesday are definitely our slowest days, when waits run about an hour or ninety minutes. Saturdays it's just ridiculous! There are usually three-hundred people outside before we even open, and it stays at about a three hour wait.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

venutolo posted:

This is exactly what the brisket looked like at Bone Lick their first week.

Unfortunately I went back another dozen times since in vain hoping for a repeat.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sorry, you'll probably get a few of these boring revelations from me as I actually start going to stuff around memorial/EAV more often but :

jesus gently caress six feet under has bad food

krog bar remains dreamy

mi barrio is still a gem

octopus bar really is p.good, lovin it now that I'm close enough to justify weeknight late night meals

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003
Ok. How the hell did Fat Matts gain any sort of reputation as a place to go? What the gently caress is the appeal of ribs boiled until they're turned into grey mush then ever so lightly grilled? Thankfully, they provide a generic sweetened sauce so you can choke them down.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Ok. How the hell did Fat Matts gain any sort of reputation as a place to go? What the gently caress is the appeal of ribs boiled until they're turned into grey mush then ever so lightly grilled? Thankfully, they provide a generic sweetened sauce so you can choke them down.

A guy from work has been raging about Fat Matt's and I finally went a couple weeks ago. I had the exact same reaction. Ribs that were basically boiled down and then covered with a sweet sauce. Even the smoked chicken was marginal. I certainly won't be going back.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I suspect Fat Matt's reputation is due to how long it has been open (since 1990). During the 1990s, it may have been among the best of a very weak group of intown BBQ restaurants. Daddy D'z opened in 1993, and I feel like its reputation has similarly benefited from the same effect (and I think it is gross). Probably a bunch of people made up their minds about what was good BBQ 15 years ago and haven't gotten their heads out of their asses since to try anything better.

Most of what I consider the better BBQ places around town have are nowhere near as old. My two favorite places opened in 2009 (Community Q) and 2010 (Heirloom Market). So if someone hasn't actually tried any new BBQ places in the last five years, they may think Fat Matt's is top notch. Overall, Atlanta food has gotten so much better in the last 10 or so years, so what may have legitimately been consider top tier in the late 90s is dreck now.

Just for shits and giggles, here is Bill Addison's Top 10 from 2013 and the year the restaurant opened (when I could find that).

1 - Heirloom Market BBQ (2010)
2 - Grand Champion BBQ (2011)
3 - Swallow at the Hollow (unknown, was open in 2005)
4 - Community Q BBQ (2009)
5 - Dave Poe's (2006 as Sam and Dave's BBQ2)
6 - Sam's BBQ1 (2004 as Sam and Dave's BBQ1)
7 - Fox Bros BBQ (2007)
8 - Zeigler's BBQ (2008)
9 - Ms. Betty's House of Ribs (2006)
10 - Big Shanty Smokehouse (2007)

The confusing of a restaurant being an institution and being among the best in the city is another big pet peeve of mine. Fat Matt's may be a restaurant institution, but it is in no way among the best BBQ in the city. I distinctly recall having a disagreement about about this sort of thing when someone recommended Manuel's as a restaurant to visit for an out-of-town visitor interested in restaurant recommendations.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003
Is Fat Matt's one of those places which gains a following then lets the quality slip? What I had today was worse than what I've had from Chilis or Applebees.

Also between Community Q and Heirloom Market, which would you recommend for ribs?

luvs2Bgraded fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 10, 2014

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
-

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 5, 2020

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Also between Community Q and Heirloom Market, which would you recommend for ribs?

I don't think I've ever had ribs at Heirloom. I typically lean towards getting the brisket, sausage, or the spicy Korean pork sandwich there. I also don't go there often because their parking is such poo poo. The ribs at Community Q are fine. I don't think they're exceptional.

The best ribs I've had in Atlanta was one time at Fox Bros two or three years ago. They were so loving phenomenal that one time. They had an incredible bark and were so tender. The ribs have never been the same since.

RHIN0002 posted:

And yes, I know Alpharetta is OTP and not Atlanta, etc etc etc....
:siren: OTP ALERT :siren:
:frogout:

venutolo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 11, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
woah, swallow in the hollow - I had completely forgotten about that place. I went once in like 2004-2005, and vaguely remember liking it. I should give that place another try next time I'm up that way OTP...

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't been to Swallow at the Hollow in a long time. I remember thinking it was good as far as Atlanta-area BBQ goes, despite the fact they do chopped pork rather than pulled. Chopped pork is an abomination. Their chocolate chip cookie banana pudding is really good.

It is way too far OTP for me to ever go there just for that. It is the sort of place I'd happily visit if I were in Roswell for some reason (which will be basically never).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a video of Jarret Stieber: http://vimeo.com/98047101

I'm a fan of Jarret's work and my super sexy hands are featured in the video.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

It is way too far OTP for me to ever go there just for that. It is the sort of place I'd happily visit if I were in Roswell for some reason (which will be basically never).

:highfive:

:lowfive:

:atlfive:

so, I sauntered into the hot chicken night at gato arigato/gato bisco, and the dude running it (james) is the guy who was my mentor during my short restaurant eugene stage a couple years ago. awesome to see he's doing his own thing now, and was cool to bump in to him again - he is a super kind guy and obviously a capable cook.

gotta highly recommend all the gato pop-up nights. BYOB, small food menus, but executed reasonably well, and usually interesting and varied enough. makes for a spiffier than 'just a weeknight eating out' type meal, enough to where it is more date-night territory. but, still you'd probably be hard pressed to spend 50bux there between two people, unless you were ordering duplicates off the menu. also, wait hasn't been longer than 15 minutes if we go after 8-8:30.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
What goon was out in Paulding County today at La Bomba in Seven Hills? I spotted a black Ford Super Duty truck that had a "Goon Squad" sticker in the back.

FWIW, the restaurant had great food.