Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

EDIT: What's the best flash cart for the DSi nowadays? I'd like to play translated RGC2.

Supercard DSTWO, also works on 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Cheaper option, R4i Gold 3DS.
Just avoid the "Deluxe" one since that's a Gateway clone rather than a normal DS cart.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Not to devolve this into emulation troubleshooting chat, but how does it not run? So long as it's in the ROM folder that MAME is configured to look in, it should appear in the list (did for me, at least) and work.

It spits back an excessively long list of files that are not found.

e: I'm an idiot, I didn't have the parent ROM in place, just the child.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 3, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You are probably missing a required BIOS rom or something then.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

shymog posted:

For any of you still needing a Sega Saturn modchip, they're in-stock (temporarily) at http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

I just installed mine today, for some reason it came with a power wire attached despite me not clicking the option. It wasn't working, so I removed the skinny wire and put on some nicer wire. Pretty nice and easy install, other than having to change the power wire.

I think it's another small :retrogames: milestone for me to order something for a system I don't have yet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Raider posted:

I think it's another small :retrogames: milestone for me to order something for a system I don't have yet.

I already have one, but want a 2nd one for fear that someone could burgle my home/my Saturn is destroyed in a flood, and I am flat outta options for Saturn modchips in the year 2025.

I think mine might be worse.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Why is this Namco stick such a hot item exactly? What does it do that a HRAP doesn't?

Congrats on landing one, though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Speaking of the Saturn modchip, is that the only way to play burned discs? I've got the 4-in-1 for imports, but I really want to play Shining Force 3 Part 2/3 with translation patches.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There is a way. It voids your warranty though. If you're daring, you can perform the fabled swap trick.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There is a way. It voids your warranty though. If you're daring, you can perform the fabled swap trick.

Gasp - not my 20-year warranty on a console whose company hasn't made hardware in over 10 years! :ohdear:

Yeah, I know, :thejoke:, but the swap trick on the Saturn is apparently murder on the drive motor.

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Why is this Namco stick such a hot item exactly? What does it do that a HRAP doesn't?

Well poo poo, I got one of those for like $10 years ago. I should see if I can find it.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

McCracAttack posted:

Personally I was just stoked that a local store had one of the good PS1/PS2 sticks. This guy and the Tekken (5?) stick are the really good ones that I know of without having to mod something up (which I am still failing at finishing because I don't have wire strippers).

Their popularity has probably gotten a boost in the last couple years because its favored Markman, who works at Madcatz and has lots of dealings with the FGC. The TE Madcatz stick is basically standard in America at this point so the dude is pretty popular in the community. Anyway, he snags them whenever he sees them and has tons by now. I'm actually surprised that Madcatz hasn't made anything similar at this point. The SE's have a similar "horizontal" size but are much boxier. I really like the Hori V3 I have despite the fact that the buttons are soldered on.

The roundhouse button on this stick is a little sticky, but I can't decide if I want to desolder everything for something that has almost no impact on my normal use.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sounds like the folks at Windy Gaming are gearing up to import another shipping container full of Sega Candy Cabs. Did anyone else get in on this the last time? How did it turn out? I have to be honest and admit I'm starting to get the itch for one but I'm afraid it would be more hassle and cost than I'm ready for. Especially considering the costs for games. Should I cool my jets and maybe start slow with a super gun instead?

Guess I'm looking for some straight talk about the candy cab lifestyle.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

roffels posted:

What games?

My retro collection took a huge hit last year when I sold most of it off. No regrets.

And now I have 4 pinball machines.
World Cup Soccer 94
Genesis
Elektra
Rollergames

I might have a 5th one incoming. I'm trying to keep the collection down and focus on trading with fellow collectors instead of accumulating games.

Addams Family
Maverick
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Play Ball (an old gottlieb EM)
Eros One (cocktail pinball machine)

You have a solid collection of tables.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I stumbled onto a Maverick recently and that was an excellent table for such a weak theme. I liked playing it a lot.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

Sounds like the folks at Windy Gaming are gearing up to import another shipping container full of Sega Candy Cabs. Did anyone else get in on this the last time? How did it turn out? I have to be honest and admit I'm starting to get the itch for one but I'm afraid it would be more hassle and cost than I'm ready for. Especially considering the costs for games. Should I cool my jets and maybe start slow with a super gun instead?

I just put down :retrogames: for an astro city cab in a private group buy (I accidentally saw it while browsing craigslist). I haven't figured out where I'm going to actually store it and have no idea if its going to be an original or a NAC, 1p or 2p.

Those blast cities look too tall imo, the marquee is crazy

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I played Circus Caper for the first time tonight. Hoo boy, this game is an embarrassment. After the 7th game over on the first stage I thought "well, it's kinda :effort:, but a lot early NES games were like that." It was made in 1990. This thing looks, sounds and plays like it was made by a developer who was still figuring out how to make a game for the NES. No extra lives. No check points. You have infinite continues but if you die at the end of a stage you start all the way back at the beginning. And that'll happen a lot because enemies pop into existence right on top of you and the range on your attacks is pitiful. Just :barf:

Also played some Ducktales... which came out the year before. :psyduck:

Fake edit: Jesus, it's not like it was even an early 1990 release; it came out in JULY. A month ahead of the SNES. It looks like it was made in 1987. :psypop:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

McCracAttack posted:

Having a Candy Cab is great and amazing (I'm about to buy my second) but it's a pretty huge moneysink. I didn't buy from Windy's first batch, but aside from getting a shipment of Egret III's instead of Egret II's, I believe it went off without a hitch. He also contacted the people who got the incorrect machines ASAP and sorted it out, as far as it looks from the neo-geo forums. The fact that those entire forums are frothing at the mouth for his next preorder is a good indication that the first one went smoothly.

I think the best advice I can give you is to make a shortlist of games you'd want and go from there. Pick your #1 game that you'll know you want to play a lot and get it first, otherwise your cab won't seem like a good purchase immediately. I had my first cab for over a year with just Samurai Shodown and didn't play it very much because I wasn't a huge fan of the game. Once I picked up SSF2T instead, I play it almost daily now and has prompted me to get a second machine set up. A supergun is great and might be a good way to test the waters and see if you want to get into the habit of dropping hundreds of dollars on arcade games, especially without making the space commitment and double-especially if you're not 100% sure you want to make the commitment to candy cab life.

Don't let Ebay prices scare you on games, though. If you're willing to be patient about waiting for a game you want to show up, forums like neo-geo and Arcade Otaku are great venues for getting games at their actual value instead of the insanely marked-up Ebay versions.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Is it really? I sold one a few months ago for like $30 I think. They ARE really good sticks with a great layout, and I feel kinda silly for selling it but it was taking up space and I wasn't using it much. Also I don't think it had turbo fire, which is a personal pet peeve in a stick.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

Is it really? I sold one a few months ago for like $30 I think. They ARE really good sticks with a great layout, and I feel kinda silly for selling it but it was taking up space and I wasn't using it much. Also I don't think it had turbo fire, which is a personal pet peeve in a stick.

Maybe they aren't then. I've only ever seen them on eBay for $100+ buy it now prices and I knew they had a reputation for folks on Shoryuken hoarding them. I honestly haven't paid that much attention.

Agrias120 posted:

I think the best advice I can give you is to make a shortlist of games you'd want and go from there. Pick your #1 game that you'll know you want to play a lot and get it first, otherwise your cab won't seem like a good purchase immediately.

This is really good advice and I hope I take it. Honestly my list is just a bunch of stuff that had console ports that weren't quite arcade perfect. I think I'm just smitten with the idea right now more than anything.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 4, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

you can flip them for like 70+. They just happen to be relatively good, compact sticks for the ps2 with good stock parts, second only to the hori (but that was still like a 200 dollar import when these got popular)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today was more interesting than I was anticipating.

Some goodies from Goodwill, work and probably other places I've forgotten.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
What's the Game Boy game? I can't read the label but I feel like I recognize the font of the logo.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

FrumpleOrz posted:

What's the Game Boy game? I can't read the label but I feel like I recognize the font of the logo.
It looks like Mega Man Xtreme 2.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mega Man Xtreme 2.

E: ^

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FrumpleOrz posted:

Megaman Xtreme 2. Protip: if you click on the image dimensions when you mouse over a pic on here, it blows it up to its full size :eng101:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Obeast posted:

It looks like Mega Man Xtreme 2.

A surprisingly good game! Also one of like, two that has my name in it. The other is Suikoden IV I think.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I alphabetized my PS2 games now FYI.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I've got a birthday coming up and everyone around me is asking for a list of stuff. I was going through some of my random lists here and there and found some older game lists of mine from a few years ago and it's cool as hell taking a trip down memory lane. I "only" had 96 NES games, I desperately need to recount/alphabetize but I know I've broken 300, and most of these prices are ancient history now.

Here's a screenshot of my "stuff I want" tab:

(I love my pro comments)

I have long had all of these games now with the possible exception of Mechanized Attack, which is definitely going on the list. I love completing mini-collections, and the last big one I've that's been ongoing for way too long is getting all NES Zapper games. Last I checked I had them all except for Chiller and that drat Baby Boomer.

Oh also wanted to mention something else which I'm sure plenty of other people in here have experienced. When you're known to collect retro gaming stuff (not in a "look at that loser" type of way haha) family and close friends love to give gaming related gifts. They obviously still get me other stuff, but it's cool as hell hearing something along the lines of "I'm not sure what Nintendo stuff you have and don't have, so send me a list of a few games youw ant and I'll talk to your brother/friend/wife and make sure I get the right thing."

Sometimes this ends up in a copy of Mario 3 that you have to pretend to be mega pumped about even though you have 4 copies, and can also sometimes result in badass poo poo like "I figured what the heck your birthday is only once a year" and get you a console or pricey game.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 4, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tyson Tomko posted:

Sometimes this ends up in a copy of Mario 3 that you have to pretend to be mega pumped about even though you have 4 copies, and can also sometimes result in badass poo poo like "I figured what the heck your birthday is only once a year" and get you a console or pricey game.

My mom recently bought me a t-shirt that says "Keep Calm and Game On" and has the konami code on the back.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Quiet Feet posted:

I played Circus Caper for the first time tonight. Hoo boy, this game is an embarrassment. After the 7th game over on the first stage I thought "well, it's kinda :effort:, but a lot early NES games were like that." It was made in 1990. This thing looks, sounds and plays like it was made by a developer who was still figuring out how to make a game for the NES. No extra lives. No check points. You have infinite continues but if you die at the end of a stage you start all the way back at the beginning. And that'll happen a lot because enemies pop into existence right on top of you and the range on your attacks is pitiful. Just :barf:

Also played some Ducktales... which came out the year before. :psyduck:

Fake edit: Jesus, it's not like it was even an early 1990 release; it came out in JULY. A month ahead of the SNES. It looks like it was made in 1987. :psypop:

I owned this. The programming was pretty lovely as well, because iirc you can do brick steps (whatever you call it, to where you can place a brick mid-air and hop on it) at the beginning of the top-left of every level and it skips the entire stage. I think every level did this!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I've got a birthday coming up and everyone around me is asking for a list of stuff. I was going through some of my random lists here and there and found some older game lists of mine from a few years ago and it's cool as hell taking a trip down memory lane. I "only" had 96 NES games, I desperately need to recount/alphabetize but I know I've broken 300, and most of these prices are ancient history now.

Just goes to show you how old that list is when a loose Mega Man 7 is not even double that price.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
YAY: I got my Everdrive GB in the mail today.
BOO: Probably won't have much time between now and the 12th to mess around from it.

Shipping from Ukraine to the US actually didn't take that long, about a week and a half, tops. I'm impressed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

After 10 long years, Sony is finally gearing up to ship out the last PSP's for Europe and Japan.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/04/sony-psp-handheld-nintendo

Happy trails, old friend. :unsmith:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

After 10 long years, Sony is finally gearing up to ship out the last PSP's for Europe and Japan.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/04/sony-psp-handheld-nintendo

Happy trails, old friend. :unsmith:

Does it qualify as retro now? I'm sure anyone here who has one was playing roms of old games on it anyway.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Does it qualify as retro now? I'm sure anyone here who has one was playing roms of old games on it anyway.

It's basically my single player PS1 games system now. No disc wear, playing custom games like Policenauts in English is easy, and I ran a long-as-hell component extension cable which I can plug in next to my couch. I pretty much only need actual discs for stuff with specialized controllers like Densha De Go/DDR, or 2-player games like Tekken 3, Bushido Blade, and various other fighting games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

It's basically my single player PS1 games system now. No disc wear, playing custom games like Policenauts in English is easy, and I ran a long-as-hell component extension cable which I can plug in next to my couch. I pretty much only need actual discs for stuff with specialized controllers like Densha De Go/DDR, or 2-player games like Tekken 3, Bushido Blade, and various other fighting games.

There's actually a lot of legal old games you can buy on it too. And if you really wanted, you can play final Fantasy 1-9 with a psp. Add X and x2 in if you have a vita.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

univbee posted:

Don't forget faster load times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I still haven't done that to my PSP. I should probably get around to it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cliche Guevara posted:

I owned this. The programming was pretty lovely as well, because iirc you can do brick steps (whatever you call it, to where you can place a brick mid-air and hop on it) at the beginning of the top-left of every level and it skips the entire stage. I think every level did this!

I need to try this. There's no way I'm playing it again without cheating past the annoying parts. :v:

• Locked thread